PDA

View Full Version : Bunning - wet, damp or dry?

xcrunr2go
January 20th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I notice my hair dry tighter if I bun it wet/damp which in turn becomes too tight & can give me a headache. I’ve become accustomed to dry bunning, adding oil before on damp hair, usually argan oil, then letting it dry fully, then bunning it using Kinky Curly Custard. I would think wet/damp bunning would be damaging although I’ve read some people do it? Any thoughts?

Ophidian
January 20th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I damp bun all the time, just make sure I'm putting it up loosely and that I take it down after a while and adjust it so that it doesn't stay wet in one spot for too long.

lapushka
January 20th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I notice my hair dry tighter if I bun it wet/damp which in turn becomes too tight & can give me a headache. I’ve become accustomed to dry bunning, adding oil before on damp hair, usually argan oil, then letting it dry fully, then bunning it using Kinky Curly Custard. I would think wet/damp bunning would be damaging although I’ve read some people do it? Any thoughts?

Hair is stretched when it's wet, when it dries, it "shrinks", so that is why wet bunning is a terrible idea. Damp bunning might be a little better but I would wait until the hair is mostly dry.

I clip mine up curly girl style for air drying, but that is very loosely, with claw clips, and is never tight, I give it some leeway to dry.

Jo Ann
January 20th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I damp bun when I have oil on my hair, after shampooing--it seems to give the oil a chance to do it's work better.

For daily bunning, dry or after adding oil. Wet bunning is ONLY for emergencies, like if I have to go to the store real quick--and then, I don't bun it too tightly.

Cg
January 20th, 2018, 04:56 PM
I damp bun a LOT, almost daily. I place on my palms plain water or a diluted conditioner and apply to the last foot or two. That is the only way to keep my very slippery hair in place for more than a few minutes. It certainly does not cause any damage.

It's clear that for you, wet bunning isn't good. But don't forget that we're all different, and what's anathema to one may be ideal for another. The important thing is to find what works for you.

Robi-Bird
January 20th, 2018, 05:13 PM
I wet and damp bun a lot because I shower at night. Maybe it's not ideal to everyone but I'm not waking early enough to do it in the morning (5am bus...) I do have to make sure to coil it looser because it will definitely pull tighter than if bunned loose.

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2018, 05:19 PM
I could never stand to bun wet hair; a wet scalp makes me crazy!

My hair dries fast so usually it is bunned dry.

I only bun damp if I want to tame shampoo day poof or humidity frizz....or to get some wurls.

leayellena
January 20th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Dry or damp bunning. Wet hair would break like crazy!

shaluwm_agape
January 20th, 2018, 11:44 PM
It doesn't bother me I do it a lot in the summer but at the same time my hair dries suuuuper slow so I have to be prepared for wet/damp hair 8-12 hrs later.

Simsy
January 21st, 2018, 02:36 AM
My hair gets cranky enough when I loosely damp braid it. Burning justs leaves me with wet/damp hair for days on end.

Hairkay
January 21st, 2018, 06:01 AM
I go for slightly damp or dry braided/twisted buns.

Zesty
January 21st, 2018, 07:39 AM
Dry for sure, or it doesn't dry and my scalp acts up from being damp for too long. I also think it's probably a bad idea to manipulate hair too much when it's weak while wet. The most I do is lightly spray the surface of my hair while styling to control flyaways.

Ophidian
January 21st, 2018, 12:47 PM
I don't manipulate it very much and am careful not to separate the strands too much or pull too tightly. I just do a very loose braid or barely twisted cinnamon bun held with claw clips. I would agree that tight styles could be a problem but I think there's ways to do it in a way that isn't straining the hairs too much. For sure it's not for everyone, but I don't think it's in of itself always a bad idea or necessarily damaging. For me it really helps my dry hair retain moisture and stay smooth and soft.

Gem
January 23rd, 2018, 09:32 AM
I bun my hair wet after my weekly wash. I put it in a loose LWB on the top of my head with a fork and squeeze the water out gently with a towel, and leave it be for as long as possible (at least a couple hours). If I'm going to sleep, I'll take it down after this and leave it loose to dry. But leaving wet hair loose to dry from the start?
That's not going to happen :lol: Any manipulation while wet is awful for my hair, and loose or in a braid causes more movement. Plus I just can't handle the feeling of wet hair down.

Beeboo123
January 23rd, 2018, 09:53 AM
I don’t manipulate my hair until it is fully dry, or my waves won’t clump properly. My hair will be poofy when I let it down, if I bun it while it is damp. As for wet hair... I’m not going to bun it, it will never dry that way, I’ll be uncomfortable the whole time

ggallagher27
January 23rd, 2018, 10:03 AM
I let my wild curly dry down, never bun when wet or damp.

bparnell75
January 23rd, 2018, 10:46 AM
I bun when wet because I cannot stand my hair down and I am even so cruel as to use the blow dyer on it for about 5 minutes so the front is dry and I can pouf it. I am a think hair at BCL

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 09:25 PM
I do damp buns because damp hair is the easiest to work with. Bunning my hair wet pretty much means it will never dry and bunning my hair dry isn’t possible due to how thick it is- well it is but it won’t be a nice sleek bun the way I like- so damp it is.

Begemot
April 26th, 2019, 12:49 AM
I do a bun when my hair is almost dry. My hair will never dry if I do it before.

YvetteVarie
April 26th, 2019, 04:55 AM
I used to wet bun and had excellent progress with it. I used to relax my hair until it was 1a straight then, so tangles were not an issue. But now I airdry with my hair stretched using threading then I bun dry. This helps to reduce the amount of knotting and tangles I get

ArabellaRose
April 26th, 2019, 07:02 AM
I always bun or braid fully dry, if I do it damp or wet I notice an increase in damage.

Entangled
April 26th, 2019, 09:42 AM
Dry for sure, or it doesn't dry and my scalp acts up from being damp for too long. I also think it's probably a bad idea to manipulate hair too much when it's weak while wet. The most I do is lightly spray the surface of my hair while styling to control flyaways.

It’s the same for me. My scalp doesn’t tolerate being wet for very long. Though I have noticed my length is a little softer if I put it up slightly damp (I think it’s because it dries in one ‘shape’ so it feels smoother, as opposed to the natural mini waves that happen if I let it dry on it’s own).

AshtangiPNW
April 26th, 2019, 10:58 AM
I damp braid and bun my hair on a daily basis, so I hope that it's not causing any sort of damage. I don't mist the scalp, just the length. Misting with distilled water seems to help keep the lengths moisturized throughout the week until the next wash day. Do you think it might be better to braid/bun first and then mist it, though?

eresh
April 26th, 2019, 02:05 PM
I wet/damp braid and bun always after washing my hair, which is once a week.
Sometimes when it doesn't behave I bottle spray my hair wet/damp to bun.
Otherwise just drybun.

eadwine
April 26th, 2019, 02:19 PM
I wet bun and dry bun, just the way the wind blows. I am not bald yet, so I wager both methods are fine *giggle*

eresh
April 26th, 2019, 02:21 PM
lol, yep me neither.
I never noticed any kind of damage from wet/damp bunning.
I've been doing it for more than 20 years

eadwine
April 26th, 2019, 02:26 PM
And you're DEFINITELY not bald yet hahahaha

MusicalSpoons
April 26th, 2019, 02:39 PM
It's successful for a lot of people (especially for heatless straightening or stretching/unifying waves) but not for me. The last few times I had to damp bun, before LHC, my hair just wouldn't dry until I let it loose again to do so. Even a ponytail on damp hair won't dry underneath where it's secured :shrug: Damp braiding doesn't work either, though less of the hair stays wet than if it were bunned.

hayheadsbird
April 26th, 2019, 05:13 PM
If I damp bun it will take so much longer to dry. Always leave it down to air dry before bunning here.

Reservechic
April 26th, 2019, 06:08 PM
On my wash day, whe I plan on putting my hair, unto a bun, I will flew everywhere my hair soaking wet, as I don't remove any water from my hair at all. I will take a small section of hair, apply my styler of choice (which right now is the CURLS So So Def Curl Defining Jelly)), detangle that section of very hair very thoroughly, and then I'll move on to another section of hair, and repeat the sane steps, and then out my hair into a low bun using two scrunchies to keep my bun secure. In the mornings, I will take my bun down and then apply a bit more styling gel to it, as the styling gel that I'm presently using can be used on both wet and dry hair. And, after applying a bit more styling gel, I will put my hair back into a low bun, using my two scfunchies to secure such.my buns end up super sleek using this method, and my haiir doesn't frizz up at all. I like that the gel that I'm currently using doesn't leave my hair feeling almost as hard as a brick and super crunchy to the touch neither. Now, I normally prefer soft holding products the most, but the weather has gotten very warm out where I live and it's only going to get worse, so I'm totally fine with switching over to a product that has a firm hold to it (as the hold us not a super firm one at all). Plus, it gives my hair lots of shine, is silicone free, sulfate free, paraben free, mineral oil free, it's not trusted on animals, contains a natural pineapple fragrance that's not overwhelming (as I'm definitely not a fan of dealing with string scents at all) and it's chocked full of a lot of natural and certified organic ingredients within it that's designed to be very beneficial towards increasing the overall health of ones hair and scalp as well. It retails for $9.97 for an 8 oz. bottle, which isn't a bad price at all, considering the product's overall quality, plus, it's. It making me want to scratch the heck out if my scalp (like so many other products I've tried have done), especially drugstore styling gels to be exact.

Oh, and I've never experienced any major damage to my hair from wet bunning either, only from certain products that were total crap for my hair. And, using a Denman brush on my soaking wet hair doesn't pull out a lot if haul from the top of my head either. And, the amount of time that it games for my wet bun to dry, is approximately around 4-5 hours, is approximately the same amount if time, I go through when air drying my wet hair after doing a wash n go. Oh, be my hair length retention doesn't vastly change when I wet bun my hair versus whenever I rock a wash n go.