PDA

View Full Version : Hair Anxieties...? Here's mine.

Nyrak
January 20th, 2018, 12:40 PM
You guys, tell me I'm not alone in having hair anxieties. Real, or imagined... do you have any?

Here are my two main ones:

1) totally always checking my part to make sure that my hair is not balding, even though no women in my family have had this issue, and I have no signs of hair loss.

2) obsessing over the thickness of my pony, because both my mom and sister have lost thickness as they aged, but so far I have not.

Ophidian
January 20th, 2018, 02:33 PM
I tend to be very conscious of the way my hair feels. I like it lightly oiled all the time--not so that it feels oily but so that it has some weight and smoothness. If it's underoiled I feel like my hair is going to snap off.

lapushka
January 20th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I'd just leave your part alone. Manipulating the hair in any way, shape, or fashion at the part will probably make it worse.

My mom is i and my dad ii. I am iii and lost my hair badly age 13/14 with balding patches as I went through the beginnings of puberty. It all grew back in and my hair is still iii. I do dread menopause because my mom used to be ii and had more hair pre-pregnancy and pre-menopause. We'll see. There's nothing you can do about it anyway!

If that's any consolation. :) :flower:

Trip
January 20th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Same with the ponytail thickness and the hair oiling! Also my hair is very thin at the hairline so im always making sure its not visible. When im outside with my hair down and the wind is blowing im hyper aware of the breakage possibility

Jo Ann
January 20th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I find I'm usually running my hands over the top and sides of my hair when it's bunned, especially if I'm outside or have the window down in my car.

I've also gotten into the habit of, when wearing my hair loose, gathering my hair in one hand to keep it from blowing all over the place (and onto everyone) to keep it contained or from snagging onto something (doors, clothing).

JadedByEntropy
January 20th, 2018, 04:54 PM
I worry about my hem being ground off against chairs and looking like a tail when i put on jackets. I constantly tuck it up into my sweater.

Robi-Bird
January 20th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Losing it. I have PCOS which can cause baldness due to elevated testosterone. Doctors usually "treat" this with BC, but I can't take it so... I have to hope that my body doesn't go crazy. So far I've been good, but the fear lingers.

Losing a hairstick. My hair likes to cough up hair sticks. Occasionally with really bad timing.

Lizabeth94
January 20th, 2018, 05:36 PM
I have anxiety about my hairline and the hair on my crown for no logical reason. :rolleyes: No one in my family has a history of balding, everyone male or female on both sides has thick hair. The only time I have experienced hair loss was due to a combination of nutritional problems and medication when I was 17-18 years old which caused me to form two bald spots on my temples, which grew back very fast. I think my anxiety comes from the fact that my hair grows average thickness and medium coarseness on the top, and extra thick and coarse like horse hair in the back. This causes me to perceive the hair on the top of my head as thin by comparison and I tend to baby the hair on my crown and front and freak out if I break a strand or comb my bangs and a shed hair comes out.

Also, my hair is currently short, but when it was longer I would always put it over one shoulder where I could see it at all times and constantly touch it with hands or hold it to make sure it was still there. I would never wear loose behind me because I got picked on really bad at school by a group of mean girls, and I was terrified that one of them would come up behind me and cut it with scissors or put a piece of gum in it or something! These girls were nuts and did some really nasty stuff to me, and it seemed like something they would do given the opportunity even though it never actually happened. Even as an adult I still do this, I just have this ridiculous fear that someone will come up behind me and yank my hair, cut it, or put something nasty in it ect. In fact I often trigger migraines or hurt my neck by constantly tugging on my own hair to make sure it is still there, or constantly wearing it over my shoulder causing me to have my head permanently tilted to one side or the other. :crazyq:

FrayedFire
January 20th, 2018, 06:29 PM
I don't have any major anxieties about my hair when I'm awake, but I do have bad dreams involving my hair (and nails, and teeth).

wannabe-rusalka
January 20th, 2018, 06:46 PM
I'm always anxious about my hair looking thin at the ends (I'm in between APL and BSL) because although my hair is so fine that I know it will probably end up fairytaling as it gains length, I just don't want it to happen too soon. I also am constantly conscious of my ponytail and braid thicknesses :/ In my head they both are so thin even though I'm technically am on the higher end of medium thickness.

Andthetalltrees
January 20th, 2018, 07:03 PM
I use to be really anxious about how fast my hair was growing, and how it could be damaged. I've calmed down a lot lately, As long as I still have hair and I'm enjoying it I don't care too much anymore

Dark40
January 20th, 2018, 08:01 PM
I'm always worried about how soft and shiny my hair looks and feels. I always like to apply a light oil for smoothness and shine.

ShahMat
January 20th, 2018, 08:35 PM
@Lizabeth94
I second the terror of having someone come up and snip all of my hair off after being picked on pretty bad throughout junior high and high school.
It's irrational since no one ever did anything to my hair specifically, but I think the whole experience left me with the fear that anything that makes me stand out and/or I like about myself and care about is also something that will be targeted if someone wanted to hurt or offend me.
I usually have bunned hair whenI go outside but if it's loose or braided it has to be where I can see it or better tucked into a jacket or sweater

Beeboo123
January 20th, 2018, 09:15 PM
I have anxiety about losing hair. I used to be iii (around 5 inches) until a few years ago, but now I’m ii. My health is fine, my bloodwork is fine, it is just something that happens to the females in my family. The older ones have very thin, sparse hair, almost bald, and that makes me worried and anxious about the state of my own.

I worry about having a sparse hemline.

I worry a lot, when in crowded places, about people pulling on my hair, cutting it, or setting it on fire. Especially the “set on fire” bit. What if they bump into my hair with a lit cigarette? The horror...

leayellena
January 20th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Fear of hair loss, can't stand hair flowing all over the place and possibly getting tangled or worse: break, fear of a lighter colour: I don't like it on me.

leayellena
January 20th, 2018, 10:59 PM
I don't have any major anxieties about my hair when I'm awake, but I do have bad dreams involving my hair (and nails, and teeth).
Had such a dream last night! I dreamed of falling teeth then a beginning of a metamorphosis. Goggled the dream meaning and there's a lot about such dreams: from personal experience and growth to learning to cope with loss of someone close to you. Hmm

Groovy Granny
January 20th, 2018, 11:01 PM
It must be getting older and being more aware of my fragility and mortality...but I often find myself worrying if I become very ill/incapacitated, that my hair will be damaged by rough handling. :(

Of course if I am that bad I most likely won't care, but if I was aware...I envision myself sitting there helpless while they rip through my fine silver from top to bottom, not using my conditioner etc.:tmi:

It is weird how the mind works sometimes; it is just hair and can be cut/regrown.... and more than likely won't even happen to me :hmm:

Maybe just expressing it will suppress these anxious thoughts now :o

Arciela
January 21st, 2018, 01:36 AM
My hair went from iii (like 6-7" thickness) down to 4" from bleaching for a year, now its a little over 4" (still iii I guess) so... was kinda nervous. This happened before though, after 2 years it should be back to where it was but if its not, oh well whatever, I don't care so much anymore like I used to. Everyday I just put it up and forget its there, don't even bother looking at it.

GalaMoon
January 21st, 2018, 02:00 AM
I have anxiety about hair breakage, I got a lot of it last year, when I still had tons of damage going on, and everyone kept telling me throughout my life that my hair is so fine and fragile, and now I've become a bit obsessed with it and treat it like old fine lace. I know I should be practicing braids and buns more, since I'm not very good at it, but I'm always afraid of handling my hair too much. Probably not a bad thing to be careful with my hair, just need to make sure I don't become paranoid.
I never really had long hair, but after reading stuff on here about people threatening to chop one's hair off, I'm a bit worried about someone doing it to my hair. The thought of trying so hard to grow my hair and then losing it in a matter of minutes terrifies and enrages me.

Stray_mind
January 21st, 2018, 02:44 AM
My only "anxiety" is that my hair looks Thin....

Hiyotoris
January 21st, 2018, 05:51 AM
Mine is waking up with clumps of hair on my pillow. I have Autoimmume issues, and Alopecia totalis can be caused by Autoimmune. No one in the family has hair loss or alopecia, but it's still a huge worry for me. Eveyone in the family has a good head of hair, even my nan at the grand old age of 69!

Nyrak
January 21st, 2018, 06:17 AM
Thanks everyone who has shared so far! It helps so much to get my worries off my chest and to hear what you guys worry about as well. :) *hug*

Zesty
January 21st, 2018, 07:11 AM
I try not to get too obsessed about the thinness of the last few inches of my hair. That's the main one, plus a bit of anxiety about the breakage I've got around my hairline.

But hey, overall I'm very pleased with my hair and it's a hobby that makes me happy!

WillOTree
January 21st, 2018, 08:09 AM
Having another major hair loss episode I can't pin down the cause of.

Alissalocks
January 21st, 2018, 08:34 AM
I am constantly and irrationally convinced that I'm "in a stall." My rational mind reminds my anxiety that my roots are proof, even if slower at times, that my hair is indeed still growing.

...But I'm probably in a stall, replies my anxiety right back.

ravenheather
January 21st, 2018, 11:20 AM
Mine is that my hair hasn't been in a stall. That i have an absurdly short terminal length and that I'll met get to tailbone or even waist.

softheartedandl
January 21st, 2018, 01:45 PM
I haven't had one in a while, but I used to constantly have nightmares about someone holding me down and forcing a bob haircut on me. :(
Also, every time I try a new home remedy or oil treatment on my hair I do tons of research first because I'm paranoid my hair will fall out and I'll be completely bald!

MsPharaohMoan
January 21st, 2018, 02:20 PM
That in the midst of keeping my hair up and forgetting about it, I'll form dreaded knots so epic even my tangle teezer can't conquer them!

ponine
January 21st, 2018, 03:16 PM
I had stomach issues for couple months and ate quite badly so I'm worried I might have a stall. But I try to think that if that's the case everything should go back to normal in few months, right?

I also noticed my hair isn't as thick as I thought and that's something I need to make peace with now

divinedobbie
January 21st, 2018, 03:32 PM
I try not to get too obsessed about the thinness of the last few inches of my hair. That's the main one, plus a bit of anxiety about the breakage I've got around my hairline.

But hey, overall I'm very pleased with my hair and it's a hobby that makes me happy!

I just saw some pictures of your hair and I have to say I never once thought the ends of your hair was thin, in fact I was imagining my hair with such a nice blunt hemline :flower:

My biggest anxiety is definitely my hair loss/shedding and not being able to pinpoint why and how to stop it/regain growth.

Zesty
January 21st, 2018, 05:37 PM
I just saw some pictures of your hair and I have to say I never once thought the ends of your hair was thin, in fact I was imagining my hair with such a nice blunt hemline :flower:

:flower: Thank you for saying so. It's just something I pick at myself over, it's always good to get the outside perspective. Though your hair looks thick all the way to the ends to me!

BirdieBird
January 22nd, 2018, 02:01 AM
I often have bad dreams that I have cut all my hair off and when I wake up I have to touch my head to make sure it's still all there! I've had it cut pixie style about 3 times in my life (most recently I went for a number four buzz cut all over and I've just grown it out, at bsl now) the idea of growing out another pixie terrifies me!

valkyrie90
January 22nd, 2018, 04:00 AM
I have this fear of getting bald everytime I roll my shedding hair into a ball . I like to keep my 1 week worth shedding hair and roll it into a ball ( gross habit I knowww =)) . I just love the feeling of that dense little hair ball in my hand >"< . ) . I go from yayy it's soooo dense to damn a huge ball I'm going bald . :( . I can't wait for my side shave to grow out so I put all of my hair into a ponytail and measure its circumstance . Until then , the fear is still there >"<

yulia396
September 11th, 2019, 07:37 AM
Frizz. I just can't leave the house with frizz. Heck, I don't even like to have frizz when I'm at home doing nothing spectacular. I don't even go to bed with frizzy hair. I get it mostly on the top of my head and I'm obsessed with it looking clean. Also, I always check other people's heads for frizz, lol I'm a mess. I always slam on some aloe vera gel...

ThistleTea
September 11th, 2019, 07:45 AM
For me it's just the thinness of my hair. The individual strands are actually not thin but I just don't have a lot of hairs overall, so my braids are wimpy and skinny. I always think it looks so sad in a ponytail or braid and I feel like I don't enjoy those styles or feel like my hair looks good in them. I always feel most confident when my hair is down but that's just not practical in my everyday life! I wish I could get past the negativity I feel about my hair when it's up or braided.

Simpscone
September 11th, 2019, 08:05 AM
I'm terrified of damaging my hair and it snapping off. I've done it before, excessive bleaching meant my hair just kept getting shorter and shorter until I had no choice but to cut it to chin length. Now I'm scared to even dye my hair. I've taken the plunge again with dye but I'm constantly checking my ends now because I'm scared that my one dye process will result in me having to cut all my progress off. I know logically people can have pretty long hair with still dying, and I know my hair is strong (strong enough to go through about 5 all over bleachings before it gave up) but I can't shake the fear.

Jas
September 11th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Hmm. Mine is definitely it being thin near the ends - I know that most hair gets a lot thinner towards the ends but keep thinking mine will be at terminal soon because the ends are like 1/4 pencil thickness.

Same with thickness at the top, I'm worried I'll lose thickness - it's at 3.25inches last I checked and I purposely haven't checked it in ages because I know it'll only fuel the anxiety but my mum has quite thin hair (although this is related to health issues) and I'm worried mine will get thinner/I'll have a large shed.

jane_marie
September 11th, 2019, 08:25 AM
I have developed a weird anxiety about becoming too fixated on my hair growing out. I'm afraid that this thing could eventually spiral into me spending so much time thinking about my hair that I neglect other aspects of my life that I do need to actively work at.

Can anyone relate to that?

AutobotsAttack
September 11th, 2019, 03:21 PM
I’m super bugged out about my hair touching anything other than itself or the silk material I put over it. I also get anxious when I have it down because people at my job have a tendency to touch it without my permission.

Kalamazoo
September 12th, 2019, 05:56 AM
We went to a samurai restaurant. They had a fire pit at every table, & the samurai chef came to each table to cook the food. Yes, my hair was securely bunned, but seeing those tall leaping flames going up 10' above the table freaked me out. I backed my chair about 4' away from the table. Then another customer at our table was encouraging the chef to throw him pieces of food so he could catch them in his mouth. I backed up another 4'. I really didn't want it landing in my hair. Then I excused myself to the ladies' room. When I came back, the chef was still cooking, so I backed my chair a good 30' away from the table. Afterwards, the waitress said, next time we go there, we could take a table in a different section of the restaurant where the tables are normal, without fire pits. I don't remember if I liked the food or not. Probably not going back to find out...

Mariekeeee14
September 12th, 2019, 06:11 AM
I have anxiety (but the normal kind) about dry ends (cause mine tend to look like straw first and then they go see trough because of the thinning and breakage) and about going blonder. I don't wanna go blond, I wanna stay a redhead.

ManeGoal
September 13th, 2019, 09:28 PM
Since I have cut my hair twice to pixie now because of damaged hair, I am constantly worried that my hair is getting damaged as it grows out and I won't be able to grow out long and healthy.
And also that I will never reach waist.

AmberWillow
September 14th, 2019, 04:06 AM
I have a bald spot on the side of my head, its a little bigger than a 50p coin. It appeared when I was about 11 and my hair has never grown back. Whenever I tie my hair up, I'm always worried that it is on show. When I put my hair in a bun or a ponytail, I have to pull the hair around that area a bit looser to cover it up. It's annoying, as I work on a bar and have to tie my hair up.

Also, I worry that more hair around this area is going to fall out. Sometimes the spot gets itchy and I imagine it's because the bald spot is going to get bigger.

I worry a little that my hair (BSL) has also reached terminal length. It's not really a huge anxiety, but it's disappointing if that's that case. :/

JackintheBox
September 14th, 2019, 08:45 AM
I have developed a weird anxiety about becoming too fixated on my hair growing out. I'm afraid that this thing could eventually spiral into me spending so much time thinking about my hair that I neglect other aspects of my life that I do need to actively work at.

I can definitely relate to that. It isn't a problem anymore, but when I grew mohair out the first time there was definitely a period of a year where I was over the top with the amount of time I spent thinking about it, etc. It was something I'd always wanted to do and was real important to me so it made sense, but it definitely interfered with a bunch of other things. I kind overcompensated the other way for a few months when I realized what a problem it was, but in the end things evened out.

Now I mostly get worried about hair loss like many others, especially being a guy. Fortunately I have good genes and might hold on to most of my hair for a while yet, but we shall see.

cestlavie
September 14th, 2019, 09:34 AM
Being too fixated on my hair (growth)
Hair loss of any kind, except the natural way of shedding hair.

eresh
September 21st, 2019, 07:44 AM
My hair anxiety is that someone will cut it off...on the bus or on the street...
It's a nightmare I used to have when I still had to go to school by public transport every day.
I would be afraid to wear my hair down. There were news items back then about "lust barbers" going around cutting off womens ponytails.

And now, this was just on the news today...
3 guys pull a woman off her bike in the middle of the street, and cut off her hair :angry::cry::cry:

EssleyBlue
September 21st, 2019, 08:17 AM
I have some anxiety about future hair loss. I'm in my 40s and my understanding is that my hair will thin progressively over the years. Not happy about that!

Begemot
September 21st, 2019, 08:43 AM
My hair anxiety is that someone will cut it off...on the bus or on the street...
It's a nightmare I used to have when I still had to go to school by public transport every day.
I would be afraid to wear my hair down. There were news items back then about "lust barbers" going around cutting off womens ponytails.

3 guys pull a woman off her bike in the middle of the street, and cut off her hair :angry::cry::cry:

That is crazy, poor woman! :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Siv
September 21st, 2019, 01:33 PM
I have anxiety about a lot of things, but not about hair, surprisingly

AmberWillow
October 11th, 2019, 06:06 AM
We went to a samurai restaurant. They had a fire pit at every table, & the samurai chef came to each table to cook the food. Yes, my hair was securely bunned, but seeing those tall leaping flames going up 10' above the table freaked me out. I backed my chair about 4' away from the table. Then another customer at our table was encouraging the chef to throw him pieces of food so he could catch them in his mouth. I backed up another 4'. I really didn't want it landing in my hair. Then I excused myself to the ladies' room. When I came back, the chef was still cooking, so I backed my chair a good 30' away from the table. Afterwards, the waitress said, next time we go there, we could take a table in a different section of the restaurant where the tables are normal, without fire pits. I don't remember if I liked the food or not. Probably not going back to find out...

This reminds me of the time I was in Nepal and my hair caught fire from an open candle on my table.

Nox_Inber
October 11th, 2019, 09:36 PM
I lost a lot of hair due to stress and health and I worry that it'll never grow back in. I've already got tons of new growth and my part doesn't look concerning so I'm pretty sure it's just anxiety, but I still worry it'll be this thin forever :violin:

My other main hair anxiety is someone cutting my hair off as some kind of cruel joke. From the looks of it I'm not the only one who worries about this though. :couch:

lithostoic
October 11th, 2019, 09:40 PM
I'm scared that one day I will go bald because my dad's hairline is receding and I take after him hair-wise.

unheardletters
October 12th, 2019, 05:45 AM

My sister had it happen to her when she was just a child. She had classic length hair worn in a high pony tail, she loved her hair. She had never cut her hair at that point. She cried a lot, and had to get her hair cut very short so it didn’t look so bad.

My biggest hair anxiety is that the hairs I have pulled (and will unfortunately very likely pull in the future) won’t grow back. I know my hair is thinner than it used to be when I was younger, and this is likely because of over 30 years of hair pulling. My mom said she couldn’t get her hand around my hair to put my hair up in a ponytail when I was young.

Hasse
October 12th, 2019, 06:51 AM
I looked it up and my sister bikes past the point where it happened a few times a month. Makes me shudder.

SpottedBackson
October 13th, 2019, 04:04 AM
There's a sound when I push a hair fork into my bun... Is it my hairs snapping?! Hair forks are supposed to be better than hair ties but that sound!

SpottedBackson
October 13th, 2019, 04:06 AM
And now, after reading all the other posts, I'm scared someone will cut mine off! Surely that is a criminal offence.

Faraniel
October 13th, 2019, 11:19 AM
Not sure if it's anxiety but when my ends get all dry and frizzy I get mad and cut them. And then I am surprised I can never grow them long. I'm working on it :D

Hasse
October 13th, 2019, 02:36 PM
There's a sound when I push a hair fork into my bun... Is it my hairs snapping?! Hair forks are supposed to be better than hair ties but that sound!
I hear the same, but can never find broken hairs when taking the hair fork out. So I think it's not from hair snapping. Don't know what causes it though.

renaatijs
October 14th, 2019, 02:56 AM
I have fine straight hair ,so I am obsessed with them not looking like a cow lick !