PDA

View Full Version : Minor hair identity crisis

KittyBird
January 18th, 2018, 06:35 AM
I never thought I'd post a thread asking what colour my hair is, but here I am! :o First, a little backstory. I started dyeing my hair when I was 13, and didn't stop until I was in my twenties and decided to grow out my natural colour. I didn't really know what it looked like, but from the roots and my memories of it before I started dyeing it, I was pretty sure it was dark ashy blonde or blonnette. Well, now my hair is completely virgin and I still thought it was dark blonde, until DBF insisted that it was brown. I told my best friend, who then said that she also considered my hair to be brown.
For a while I told myself that my hair probably just looked brown in certain lights, which is a common trait with blonnette hair, but lately I've been wondering if my hair actually is light brown? It's not as ashy as I thought it was, there are definitely some warm red tones to it, and a few people on here have also called it light brown. I was really happy with my blowout today, so I took some pictures outdoors in natural light. So, am I a dark blonde or am I a brunette? Or somewhere in between?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4759/39051028724_2ddeb41fb5.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22uNJjG)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4767/24890936397_6ee127a563.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/DVwycP)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4619/39051028504_1ece064599.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/22uNJfU)

lapushka
January 18th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Kind of a dark blonde/dark strawberry blonde/auburny color. Kind of hard to pinpoint, but I wouldn't call it brown.

lucid
January 18th, 2018, 07:23 AM
In my opinion, your hair looks light brown. The roots look ashy and the lengths have much more warmth to them - very pretty :D I asked my boyfriend what color your hair was, and he said light brown as well.

I think you may fall into the blonette category though, considering the pics in that thread. I've also seen LHC'ers with much darker hair than yours describe their hair as being dark blonde.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 18th, 2018, 07:24 AM
No, not quite brown, but almost.

Dendra
January 18th, 2018, 07:24 AM
Goodness, my question exactly! As I'm in the same boat as you I may not be the best person to help/be objective, but I'll try.

First of all I don't know if I ever got the chance to say but your hair is so gorgeous - I've admired it from afar for a while!

Now, colour. Whenever I see a picture of your hair I'm always struck most by the red tones in it, so I assumed the colour to be red-brown, but on the lighter end of the spectrum. The definition blonette seems to sometimes encompass warm tones as well as ashy tones, and sometimes just ashy tones, so I never really know where I stand with that, but I think you could be considered a dark blonette. I don't think of you as a 'true' brunette, which personally I consider to be mid and dark brown.

AmberLouise89
January 18th, 2018, 08:19 AM
I would call it a light reddish brown. I think some people might consider it blondette but personally I wouldn't. It's a lovely color though, you're very lucky!

LadyCelestina
January 18th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Um I think in overcast lighting like this, everything looks brown and dark :D I think your hair is dark blonde not light brown. And the reddish cast is probably dye residue from pink ends :)

btw, if you're in Norway I wouldn't be surprised if everybody called your hair brown even if it's blondish :)

OhSuzi
January 18th, 2018, 08:58 AM
Like a really light ash brown with reddy bits ??? Maybe it was blonder before in your youf?

I thought my hair was light gold ashy brown before hitting teens & years of hair dye experiments, but my born again virgin hair has grown a much darker Brown this time than I remembered.

Perhaps I just played out in the sun more when I was younger - still holding out for more golden hues as it grows & gets more sunlight on it.

Deborah
January 18th, 2018, 09:33 AM
I think it's quite pretty, whatever color it is. It strikes me as that in between color that sometimes looks dark blonde and other times looks light brown.

Groovy Granny
January 18th, 2018, 09:38 AM
It is beautiful; the color and curl :love:

I would say a blonette; my hair was darker than yours and they called me dark blonde/light brown :shrug:

Are the color charts different Country to Country? :hmm:

Arctic
January 18th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Light brown according to my own eye, but I have no idea about the categories hair dressers use, and "blonette" is a mystery to me. I tend to see blonette as light brown usually.

I understand the identity crisis very well. At some point there were several members here who told me, within a shortish time span, that my hair is lighter than they had imagined, and practically blonde. I was like nooooooo! I have always been brunette, and that's my hair identity, and no-one IRL have ever seen me as blonde. I think my hair is a touch darker than yours.

Talking about blondes and brunettes, I know photos can change my colour a lot. I am not surprised that someone would put me into blonde category based on some of my overexposed photos. But the reality is quite different. However, I have started to think of myself as light to medium brown instead of medium brown, thanks to LHC.

Stray_mind
January 18th, 2018, 12:08 PM
I'd put you between levels 6 and 7. I'd say you're more of a dark ash blonde than light brown though. I bet it looks Much lighter in the sun..It looks pretty light in your signature too.

Flowerness
January 18th, 2018, 12:27 PM
You have such pretty hair! Looking at your lovely curls reminded me of when I had short hair (a million years ago), only mine weren't as pronounced in pictures. I looked at your pictures first and thought: "bronde." I heard the term on tv, they were saying that this is the color that people, well celebrities, are now dying their hair. Halfway between blond and brunette. Since it is in an ambiguous area, I'd say that it probably is whatever feels right to you! What do you think/feel it is, or what do you feel comfortable calling it? I'd go with that! Enjoy your beautiful hair!

Kake
January 18th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Your hair is a pretty colour, which I'd call light brown.

samanthaa
January 18th, 2018, 01:58 PM
It is beautiful; the color and curl :love:

I would say a blonette; my hair was darker than yours and they called me dark blonde/light brown :shrug:

Are the color charts different Country to Country? :hmm:

This! Just beautiful :love:

I'm in the same boat. My natural hair color is pretty similar to yours, although yours at the roots looks a tad ashier (and then the reddish bits at the tips?! Such dimension). Ashy brown? Light brown? Blonette? I think you can easily get away with any of these. I probably wouldn't call you a full-on brunette.

divinedobbie
January 18th, 2018, 03:05 PM
I would go with light brown. After zooming in and studying it I almost thought I wanted to change my mind but no I still think it's light brown.

my2cats1
January 18th, 2018, 03:42 PM
It sounds like you can identify as either blonde or brunette! Which one feels right to YOU? :)

lithostoic
January 18th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't call it brown, but dark blonde. People call my hair brown too

Wendyp
January 18th, 2018, 04:59 PM
I say light brown, I found this article and I see more red/ auburn than smokey ash

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-very-dark-blonde-and-light-brown-hair

cathair
January 18th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I think I'm so used to seeing you are as redhead, it's hard for me to see you as anything else. I do see warmth in your hair now, but with lighter highlights almost. My Mum and my Brother have light brown hair. I think you're a touch lighter than they are, but I don't really know what the word for that is.

lapushka
January 19th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Maybe it's either a dark strawberry blonde or light auburn? I think I'd go with light auburn after careful consideration, between blonde/brown, on that very limit.

melikai
January 20th, 2018, 03:20 PM
The tips/ends look considerably darker and different from the top, which is interesting since it's usually lighter on the bottom! The rest is a similar colour to my own, which in my completely unbiased opinion :wannabe: I would call dark ashen blonde. My hair colour can go from looking light brown to platinum blonde, entirely dependent on lighting.

spidermom
January 20th, 2018, 05:11 PM
I think it's light auburn.

Andthetalltrees
January 20th, 2018, 05:22 PM
I feel like your hair looks a lot like mine in tone, A warm reddish, blondish, brownish shade(Including the ashier roots), My hair colour seems to vary depending on who I ask(Anything from auburn to brown to blonde like you're getting here!). I personally go with dark golden blonde. I want to say yours is few shades darker than mine, But it's probably still on the dark blonde scale?