PDA

View Full Version : Honey turned my hair gray?!?!

pinknika
January 17th, 2018, 12:50 PM
After a recent lightening treatment scheme, I have come to find about 18 new gray hairs from my temple, in the back of my head and on my crown. I was lightening with honey 2 to 3x per week, for a month straight, and then afterwards, I used this shampoo and conditioner product for about 2 months afterward:

https://www.amazon.com/Tio-Nacho-Natural-Lightening-Shampoo/dp/B009D0XY5Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

My theory is, that since honey produces natural peroxide in your follicles and your follicles naturally produces peroxide in them already, could it be that all of this peroxide has provided oxidation and now my hair is coming in gray? I have since then quit the lightening about 2 months ago, and they have been sprouting up ever since. I have never had a gray hair until now. And I am in my late 20's.

I haven't lurked here for a very long time, but I owe a lot of my hair health to you guys and this community. Thanks in advance.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 17th, 2018, 01:21 PM
After a recent lightening treatment scheme, I have come to find about 18 new gray hairs from my temple, in the back of my head and on my crown. I was lightening with honey 2 to 3x per week, for a month straight, and then afterwards, I used this shampoo and conditioner product for about 2 months afterward:

https://www.amazon.com/Tio-Nacho-Natural-Lightening-Shampoo/dp/B009D0XY5Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

My theory is, that since honey produces natural peroxide in your follicles and your follicles naturally produces peroxide in them already, could it be that all of this peroxide has provided oxidation and now my hair is coming in gray? I have since then quit the lightening about 2 months ago, and they have been sprouting up ever since. I have never had a gray hair until now. And I am in my late 20's.

I haven't lurked here for a very long time, but I owe a lot of my hair health to you guys and this community. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if the products you used turned your hair grey, but I do know this: many people begin getting grey hair in their 20's, I found my first one at the grand old age of 21.

lapushka
January 17th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Yeah, no, I think this might just be a coincidence. :flower: Getting grays in your late 20s is not that out of the ordinary.

If you are worried though, I would stop lightening the hair with honey.

Also, I think it's far better to do a one-time bleach bath instead of a lot of honey treatments; IMMHO.

pinknika
January 17th, 2018, 03:53 PM
I don't know if the products you used turned your hair grey, but I do know this: many people begin getting grey hair in their 20's, I found my first one at the grand old age of 21.

Yeah I understand that some people get gray hair pretty early, my teacher in the 5th grade had pure white and said she has had gone all gray in her 20's. But it's just weird that I would have so many all at the same time.

pinknika
January 17th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Yeah, no, I think this might just be a coincidence. :flower: Getting grays in your late 20s is not that out of the ordinary.

If you are worried though, I would stop lightening the hair with honey.

Also, I think it's far better to do a one-time bleach bath instead of a lot of honey treatments; IMMHO.

Yeah I stopped completely 2 months ago but its the after effects that has me worried. I have bleached my hair since highschool, and I was trying to avoid lightening with harsh chemicals. I just think its so weird to have a lot of gray hair just sprout of out of nowhere. :confused:

lapushka
January 17th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Yeah I stopped completely 2 months ago but its the after effects that has me worried. I have bleached my hair since highschool, and I was trying to avoid lightening with harsh chemicals. I just think its so weird to have a lot of gray hair just sprout of out of nowhere. :confused:

We gotta age sometime. :) At some point grays just sprout. I have never seen a link between peroxide and going gray. So, it is most likely just growing older. Are you planning on dyeing the hair at all? Or will you leave them natural (we have a salt & pepper thread (gray thread) on the forum).

OhSuzi
January 17th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Got a few greys by late 20s and defo more by my temples and then dotted round edge of my hair line.
Currently though still 95% brunette.
Honey has such a minimal colour effect I doubt it made your hair grow grey, it’d only effect hair that was already in existence and not very much.
Sudden Stress on the body and I don’t mean had a terrible day at work and I have a test tomorrow, I mean like childbirth /hormone changes or major trauma /disease / drug use might have enough of an impact to make your hairs suddenly grow grey but unlikely.
Or vitiligo where you lose pigment in the skin can occur on your scalp too and you’d end up with a white streak.
Most likely just part of aging, it happens to us all, I just wish my whites were the same texture! But they come through thicker and wilder!

cathair
January 17th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Temples are a really common place for them to start coming in. I think it's co-incidence. It's not uncommon to have them at your age. I got my first when I was 15.

FrayedFire
January 18th, 2018, 02:34 AM
I've been getting stray silvers since 9th grade, but I have the same hair as my nana and her hair never went grey, just a smattering of silver. Honey wouldn't make them grow in grey, but I don't know about lightening them as they grow in, do you have a lot of new growth that's your usual colour as well?

lapushka
January 18th, 2018, 05:40 AM
How did your parents grow in their gray, and at what age? Might be useful to check.

LadyCelestina
January 18th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Let me guess. You found one or two and then you went searching for them all around your head. :D

I have probably 10 or so right now if I look for them. I'm 21.

I've had a gray hair in the front since I was 16. Right now I don't see it anymore, it probably fell out on it's own and didn't grow back (yet?).

Late 20's is a normal age to have some greying. My sister is 33 and the whole front of her hair is gray. It started in her late twenties, too.

lapushka
January 18th, 2018, 11:48 AM
You can't tell from my signature picture at all, but I'm salt & pepper probably 2-3% throughout my hair (sprinklings). It takes a *long* time before gray becomes so visible that it overtakes your haircolor! I started graying in my 20s (1 or 2 hairs maybe), and then nothing for a few decades until now (I'm 45) I have this sprinkling throughout. It can take a long long time, so I would not panic yet.

PixieP
January 18th, 2018, 12:32 PM
The honey does not affect the follicles. The follicles are deep in the skin and no treatment applied to the skin will penetrate down into the follicle. Otherwise we wouldn’t get regrowth in our natural hair colour after dyeing the hair :) It is just coincidence.

Arctic
January 18th, 2018, 01:20 PM
The honey does not affect the follicles. The follicles are deep in the skin and no treatment applied to the skin will penetrate down into the follicle. Otherwise we wouldn’t get regrowth in our natural hair colour after dyeing the hair :) It is just coincidence.
I beg to differ, respectfully of course. While I am also thinking honey wouldn't cause grey hairs, I do think that our skin can and do absorb stuff we apply on it. For example the medication used for hair loss, Rogaine, is a liquid that is applied on scalp, and it absorbs, gets into blood stream and stimulates hair follicles. There are many topical medications which deliver the active ingredients via skin.

lapushka
January 18th, 2018, 01:57 PM
I beg to differ, respectfully of course. While I am also thinking honey wouldn't cause grey hairs, I do think that our skin can and do absorb stuff we apply on it. For example the medication used for hair loss, Rogaine, is a liquid that is applied on scalp, and it absorbs, gets into blood stream and stimulates hair follicles. There are many topical medications which deliver the active ingredients via skin.

Yes but Rogain and honey are two totally different things!

Arctic
January 18th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Yes but Rogain and honey are two totally different things! Sure they are, but Pixie said "no treatment applied to the skin will penetrate down into the follicle". Skin can and does absorb topically applied ingredients.

PixieP
January 18th, 2018, 05:39 PM

Okay, I’ll rephrase: almost no topical treatment can affect the hair follicles. And certainly not in such a way to permanently alter the colour of hair. Hair colour is about genetics and hormones, not outside influence like a honey treatment.

However of course it goes without saying that a medical treatment is different than a random treatment and I really shouldn’t need to specify that.