PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil and refrigeration question

lora410
March 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
I just bought coconut oil last night and it says refrigerate after opening, but if its 100% extra virgin coconut oil like it says why do I have to refrigerate it. It was a pain in the butt to scrape some off with a spoon this morning. So if I can I would rather not refrigerate it. Whats yout thought on this?

quidscribis
March 22nd, 2008, 08:17 AM
I live in a tropical country with high humidity. We use coconut oil for everything. We've never refrigerated our coconut oil. I doubt there's a single person in this entire country who's ever refrigerated coconut oil. Here, in these climate conditions, coconut oil still has a shelf life of at least three years.

aisling
March 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
I keep my big jar of coconut oil in the fridge, but I've taken out a decent amount and put in a smaller jar that I keep in a bathroom. I have enough there for a couple of months and it has never gone bad. Another good thing with this is that it's easier to scrape/scope out the needed amount from a small jar with a wide opening. I can just imagine how hard it would be to reach the bottom of my big jar :)

angelthadiva
March 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
I don't store mine in the fridge either. I keep mine in the bathroom and it's been there since October...It doesn't smell bad, and I'm still using it.

lora410
March 22nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
wonderful...Thanks ladies!!!!!

ChloeDharma
March 22nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
My flat tends to be warm so my coconut oil is almost always liquid and still seems to keep just fine unrefigerated.

I hope you enjoy experimenting with it :)

khyricat
March 22nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
I have never had issues with rancidity from coconut oil, and I never store it in the fridge, BUT.. the spectrum in the tub when it heats and cools repeatedly sometimes gets a funky gritty texture.. as I always use it on skin and hair I just rub it in my hands before use.

jojo
March 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
i never refrigerate mine, but then i was under the impression i didnt need to as its pure? as far as i know its ok as long as not stored in direct sunlight and has a shelf life of 3 years, as somebody else said!

Elfling
March 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
I don't refrigerate mine, and I live in Florida. 3 years is what I've heard for shelf life too.

the only oil I've ever had go rancid was cheap-ass cooking oil :D And boy, can you tell!

Carina
March 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
I keep all my oils in the fridge.I forgot to put my coconut oil in the fridge once.I did not like the texture of it at all.It is so much easier to get the right amount when you use a spoon.

AntiHairSlave
March 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Nope ... never put my coconut oil in the fridge either.

Morag
March 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
I've never refrigerated mine. I was told it's naturally anti-bacterial.

However, I do like Aisling's idea of refrigerating some and keeping a smaller container at room temperature. I do something similar with palm oil for my birds.

Sillage
March 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I don't refrigerate mine. If I have more of any oil than I can use up in 6 months, I store the extra in the freezer.

quidscribis
March 24th, 2008, 04:56 AM
While coconut oil is antibacterial, that doesn't mean it won't ever go bad. If water is added, it'll go rancid, for example.

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 11:52 AM
what do you mean "extra virgin coconut oil" does it look like mashed potatoes? perhaps extra virgin means that the manufacturer messed with the oil in a way that makes it have a shorter shelf life?