PDA

View Full Version : Natural fairytale ends

shaluwm_agape
January 16th, 2018, 08:01 PM
So I cut my hair on Dec.21 2017 to officially rid myself of any and all layers. I did a blunt straight cut and absolutely loved it. But now that its been almost a month since my last trim the ends already feel like they have thinned out. My crown is about 1c-2a and then goes to 2a-2b by the bottom. Could my ends just naturally want to fairytale?

I have been trying to acheive a blunt hemline for YEARS! And have always attributed my thin ends to the way the stylist cut it. But now im not so sure. I actually was toying with the idea of wanting them to fairytale now. But if i honestly knew my hair did this naturally. I could have started growing sooooo much sooner.

cathair
January 16th, 2018, 08:15 PM
If be really surprised if you got full on fairy tail ends in such a short time. Perhaps the wurls just settle down and make it appear that way? They can make ends look so different each day.

shaluwm_agape
January 16th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Yeah you are probably right. I just find it soo strange my ends always feel less full

gossamer
January 16th, 2018, 09:42 PM
I was under the impression that all hair naturally develops fairy tale ends if left to its own devices. Since all hairs grow at different rates, only super regular trims can maintain a blunt hemline. Otherwise fairy tailing will happen no matter what.

shaluwm_agape
January 16th, 2018, 09:46 PM
I was under the impression that all hair naturally develops fairy tale ends if left to its own devices. Since all hairs grow at different rates, only super regular trims can maintain a blunt hemline. Otherwise fairy tailing will happen no matter what.

I honestly didn't know that. If thats the case i should have never cut it 3 yrs ago. I thought i was more prone

Wildcat Diva
January 16th, 2018, 10:33 PM
Some people are more prone than others. Thicker hair probably takes more time to fairytale, and straighter hair too. Curly hair is more likely to make tendrils as opposed to blunt.

shaluwm_agape
January 16th, 2018, 11:47 PM
Yeah I guess I am prone to it. my hair is wurly and fine but I have lots of it. It just feels like its starting already lol

lapushka
January 20th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Is your hair very different from your avatar picture? If not, I think you're fine! It takes a long time normally for hair to truly fairytale, you need to have some length to it usually. Some people do start earlier than others, but judging from your avatar, that is pretty blunt!

Beeboo123
January 20th, 2018, 10:27 AM
I think my ends are wanting to fairytale ugh. Time for a chop?

shaluwm_agape
January 20th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Is your hair very different from your avatar picture? If not, I think you're fine! It takes a long time normally for hair to truly fairytale, you need to have some length to it usually. Some people do start earlier than others, but judging from your avatar, that is pretty blunt!

Thats my hair atm but every time i do braids or ponytails i can feel how thin it is at the bottom. Almost like i still have layers.

shaluwm_agape
January 20th, 2018, 11:10 AM
I think my ends are wanting to fairytale ugh. Time for a chop?

Do you think it looks bad?

Beeboo123
January 20th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Do you think it looks bad?

I love the look of fairytale ends on others, but not on me... My goal is to have a blunt U-shaped hemline, so those ends have to go! My taper is getting really bad, it’s almost as though i have layers (i don’t). I really dislike having such a taper on my braid

shaluwm_agape
January 20th, 2018, 11:20 AM
I love the look of fairytale ends on others, but not on me... My goal is to have a blunt U-shaped hemline, so those ends have to go! My taper is getting really bad, it’s almost as though i have layers (i don’t). I really dislike having such a taper on my braid

I totally understand! A few years back I achieved MBL and it fairytailed i did not like it at all. But I also didnt wear my hair natural so my waves & wurls never really showed. Though iy may look nicer than you think. Post a pic!

trolleypup
January 20th, 2018, 11:40 AM
So much depends on your hair, as others have pointed out. Difference hairtypes will show fairytaling sooner or later.

I'll take myself as an example (with idealized numbers). My hair follicles have a 10 year cycle of shedding. So, each year, 10% of my hair reaches 60" and sheds out over the course of the year. With slightly wavy, fairly thick hair, visually, a curtain of hair looks similarly full whether it is 100% of the strands or 50% of the strands spread over the same area (this is where your results will vary the most). 1/2" growth per month.

At 50% of my terminal length (waist-ish?) I could maintain a blunt cut that looked completely full (indeed, using photoshop, it does). The closer I get to terminal from there, the more visual taper (when hair a preened and groomed) and fairytaling (when left to clump and gap naturally). At 3/4 terminal, there is only 25% of the hairs present at a blunt cut, but when preened and groomed that still looks fairly solid, but definitely not visually full.

For sure, at any of these points, several months of growth will soften the blunt cut, even if the actual percentage of hair reduction is small.
At a quarter of terminal length...3 months growth would only drop the hairs by 2.5%...but this is compared to the 75% hair left, so it still looks completely visually full.
At half of terminal length...3 months growth would only drop the hairs by 2.5%...but this is compared to the 50% hair left, so it is visually magnified to look somewhat fairytaled.
At 3/4 of terminal length...3 months growth would only drop the hairs by 2.5%...but this is compared to the 25% hair left, so it is visually magnified to look much more fairytaled.
At terminal length, a blunt cut of the last 3 months of growth would grow out in 3 months to the exact same taper to 0 of terminal fairytaling.

Most likely, a few months growth is only going to show a softening of a blunt hemline, not actual fairytaling, more a matter of how the ends clump or lay more compactly than they would if uncut or instantly after the cut.

*Wednesday*
January 20th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Fairytale ends are so pretty. Usually WL+ they can become more prounced if the hair is not cut with no damage to the ends.

Beeboo123
January 20th, 2018, 02:18 PM
I totally understand! A few years back I achieved MBL and it fairytailed i did not like it at all. But I also didnt wear my hair natural so my waves & wurls never really showed. Though iy may look nicer than you think. Post a pic!

I’ll take a photo when I wash and let my hair dry wavy. I can maintain a blunt hemline until hip, hair past that length just forms tendrils. I had a big trim in October, and got rid of all those see-through ends. My hair is now the same length as pre-trim, but somehow all the see-through ends are back at the same spot. So frustrating!

Beeboo123
January 22nd, 2018, 03:58 AM

http://i.imgur.com/dKeqX70.jpg

Ughhh those two long tendrils, one on each side... they bother me so much. And today was a good day =[ i just want a solid hemline

Zesty
January 22nd, 2018, 04:03 AM
Beeboo, your hair is what dreams are made of. The texture is gorgeous and to me it looks full and thick at the very ends. Those tendrils look like your natural texture doing its thing. We are all our own worst critics. :) I don't think fairytaling looks bad, but I don't see your hair doing it either way.

Groovy Granny
January 22nd, 2018, 04:16 AM
I'm with you Zesty ~ Beeboo...your hair is gorgeous!
IMHO it is natural wave/curl clumping. ...and NOT fairy tailing...which does have it's own beauty :shrug:

The biggest challenge in growing out our hair is ACCEPTING IT FOR WHAT IT IS....... OUR OWN UNIQUE TEXTURE (and in some cases, color).

Once we can do that, we can learn how to care for our hair to enhance and express OUR OWN BEAUTY AS IT IS...not to look like someone elses.

Take pride and enjoy the beauty in your hair; someone out there is wishing they could have what you do ;)

Find a way to bling up the 'tendrils YOU see ' to be your unique feature :cheer:

lapushka
January 22nd, 2018, 06:34 AM
So much depends on your hair, as others have pointed out. Difference hairtypes will show fairytaling sooner or later.

So true! :flower:

Like for me. The lower bits in my signature picture are from layering up my hair, not from natural fairytaling (I don't mind one way or the other).

But... given OP's picture, I'd say she's pretty much OK still. That is not how I imagine true fairytaling to be like.

But we're all different, and some things bug us more than others. If it bugs you, by all means give it a trim, OP. You can join the microtrimming thread and maintain the hem allowing for slight growth monthly still if you want that.

Your hair is truly remarkable, though, trolleypup. I like the fairytaling on it.

Most likely, a few months growth is only going to show a softening of a blunt hemline, not actual fairytaling, more a matter of how the ends clump or lay more compactly than they would if uncut or instantly after the cut.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it fairytaling either. Softening of the hem is a good way to say it! :) Maybe "fraying", but that has not that much of a ring to it. :)

lapushka
January 22nd, 2018, 06:37 AM

Ughhh those two long tendrils, one on each side... they bother me so much. And today was a good day =[ i just want a solid hemline

I do think it looks pretty good! :) And I think you're being very harsh on yourself here, if I may say so. :flower: Maybe yes, microtrim? But honestly, I think you're *fine*!

shaluwm_agape
January 22nd, 2018, 01:33 PM

this is beautiful! omgosh

shaluwm_agape
January 22nd, 2018, 01:36 PM
I think I'm being too overcritical lol. I'm just gonna let my hair do its thing! I joined the first half no trim so we we'll see after 6 months.

Beeboo123
January 22nd, 2018, 10:18 PM
I just trimmed off 1.5 inches after taking that photo ._. Well, at least my ends are solid now

*Wednesday*
January 25th, 2018, 01:22 PM
You have beautiful hair, Beeboo. Your hemline is beyond fine.