PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Tea rinses?

Wendyp
January 16th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Couldn’t find a thread on this hope I’m not duplicating but who uses tea rinses and what formula? Also leave it in or rinse out? I haven fallen in love with tea recently. :pegasus::pegasus::pegasus::p

Ophidian
January 17th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Meeee! If I am using s&c instead of herbs, I always follow with an herb tea and honey rinse. I find that it really increases softness and shine. Lately I've mostly used catnip or a blend of nettle, oatstraw, rose petals, and some other stuff that I can't remember. I've used chamomile before and liked that, and years ago when I discovered how much my hair liked these rinses I was using Sleepytime tea :D

I soak the ends, pour the rinse over hair and scalp, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I do a final cool clear water rinse.

Katia_k
January 17th, 2018, 02:32 PM
I did a few plain black tea rinses. My hair did not like them at all. But I've been meaning to try green, or an herb mix. But haven't gotten around to that yet. I am intrigued by the concept of sleepytime tea rinsing...

Blue Mermaid
January 17th, 2018, 02:38 PM
(I'm back from a LOOOOONNGGG hiatus!)

My hair likes hibiscus tea rinses. I haven't done any in a long time, but I use that as my liquid in my henna mix. Hmm, I should definitely go back to tea rinses once I can get my hands on more hibiscus.. I think it can leave a bit of a pink, rosy stain so be careful if your hair is light colored!

Edited: Because I can't function without autocorrect.

Wendyp
January 17th, 2018, 03:30 PM
I have just discovered nightbloomings rinse and i was really surprised how it left my hair feeling moisturized. Love the sound of that combo, im so hooked!

:hollie:

Wendyp
January 17th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Meeee! If I am using s&c instead of herbs, I always follow with an herb tea and honey rinse. I find that it really increases softness and shine. Lately I've mostly used catnip or a blend of nettle, oatstraw, rose petals, and some other stuff that I can't remember. I've used chamomile before and liked that, and years ago when I discovered how much my hair liked these rinses I was using Sleepytime tea :D

I soak the ends, pour the rinse over hair and scalp, and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I do a final cool clear water rinse.

I have just discovered nightbloomings rinse and i was really surprised how it left my hair feeling moisturized. Love the sound of that combo, im so hooked!

Wendyp
January 17th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I did a few plain black tea rinses. My hair did not like them at all. But I've been meaning to try green, or an herb mix. But haven't gotten around to that yet. I am intrigued by the concept of sleepytime tea rinsing...

yeah me too, easily accessable since its right in most stores!!

Wendyp
January 17th, 2018, 03:34 PM
(I'm back from a LOOOOONNGGG hiatus!)

My hair likes hibiscus tea rinses. I haven't done any in a long time, but I use that as my liquid in my henna mix. Hmm, I should definitely go back to tea rinses once I can get my hands on more hibiscus.. I think it can leave a bit of a pink, rosy stain so be careful if your hair is light colored!

Edited: Because I can't function without autocorrect.

LOL thats funny! im sure im driving everyone nuts since im trying to relearn this site lol. Im back after 3 years to get my ends stronger, wow time flies!!

Ophidian
January 17th, 2018, 05:57 PM
yeah me too, easily accessable since its right in most stores!!

Yup! I think I started using it because I read about chamomile and didn’t have any but noticed that sleepytime is chamomile-based with some other nice soothing things like spearmint.... oh here’s the full ingredient list: Chamomile, spearmint, lemongrass, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn and rosebuds. I still drink it all the time :)

ETA: I like hibiscus too!

Wendyp
January 17th, 2018, 06:25 PM
:disco:
Yup! I think I started using it because I read about chamomile and didn’t have any but noticed that sleepytime is chamomile-based with some other nice soothing things like spearmint.... oh here’s the full ingredient list: Chamomile, spearmint, lemongrass, tilia flowers, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn and rosebuds. I still drink it all the time :)

ETA: I like hibiscus too!

Totally going to try it! I rinsed out the tea tonite so we’ll see how my hair feels after, I left it in last time and it was awesome. Need to keep my ends more in tact!

spirals
January 17th, 2018, 06:48 PM
I don't use herbs anymore. If anyone wants I have horsetail, marshmallow root, annnnd one more I can't remember at the moment. I'm willing to give away; they are taking up space and I'd hate to waste them. Just chip in for postage? I figure a flat-rate box will be the best deal. Let me know.

ChloeDharma
January 17th, 2018, 09:26 PM
I use tea rinses often. When I do a WCC I will shampoo then pour the tea over my scalp and hair then apply a conditioner or DT on top.

The herbs I use can vary a little, sometimes using more and sometimes fewer but I pick mostly from these

Green Tea
White Tea
Rooibos (red)
Hibiscus
Rosemary
Nettle
Curry Leaf
Neem
Calendula

I pick which of those seems best and often do a separate Fenugreek/Methi seed infusion but that's for a leave in at the end of the wash.

I then add a humectant, usually raw honey or glycerine and some essential oils.

I also sometimes make an infusion and use that as a scalp and hair mist between washes but not anything containing caffeine and I'm careful to look out for build up from this.

Wendyp
January 18th, 2018, 02:51 PM
I use tea rinses often. When I do a WCC I will shampoo then pour the tea over my scalp and hair then apply a conditioner or DT on top.

The herbs I use can vary a little, sometimes using more and sometimes fewer but I pick mostly from these

Green Tea
White Tea
Rooibos (red)
Hibiscus
Rosemary
Nettle
Curry Leaf
Neem
Calendula

I pick which of those seems best and often do a separate Fenugreek/Methi seed infusion but that's for a leave in at the end of the wash.

I then add a humectant, usually raw honey or glycerine and some essential oils.

I also sometimes make an infusion and use that as a scalp and hair mist between washes but not anything containing caffeine and I'm careful to look out for build up from this.
I was worried honey would make my hair sticky, it’s def moisture I need, so I’m going to try that in my tea rinses.

Ophidian
January 18th, 2018, 06:14 PM
I don't use herbs anymore. If anyone wants I have horsetail, marshmallow root, annnnd one more I can't remember at the moment. I'm willing to give away; they are taking up space and I'd hate to waste them. Just chip in for postage? I figure a flat-rate box will be the best deal. Let me know.

That is very kind of you! I am stocked up on what you mentioned but maybe someone else just getting into herbs would find them helpful! Both make great rinses.

Wendyp
January 18th, 2018, 06:36 PM

what are the properties of those herbs for hair?

spirals
January 18th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Horsetail has silica which is supposed to be good somehow. And marshmallow root provides some slip. Here's an article on MR: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-is-marshmallow-root-skin-hair_us_55cb731ae4b0f1cbf1e6fcaa

Wendyp
January 19th, 2018, 06:20 AM
Horsetail has silica which is supposed to be good somehow. And marshmallow root provides some slip. Here's an article on MR: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-is-marshmallow-root-skin-hair_us_55cb731ae4b0f1cbf1e6fcaa
Yes I would like to try them I’ll take them off your hands! I’ll pay you something so it’s not a total loss for you too.

ChloeDharma
January 19th, 2018, 06:49 PM
I was worried honey would make my hair sticky, it’s def moisture I need, so I’m going to try that in my tea rinses.

As I use the honey in the infusion and sometimes in a DT then rinse it out then I don't find it stays and makes my hair sticky. The one time it has was when I mixed up a DT with honey in and applied it to my dry hair before wetting it and used it as a CO wash. It gave me intense shine but built up on my hair awfully. I had to soak it off in the end which is where I came up with that mermaid soak thing that has become popular though not quite how I meant it lol.
Some people do leave in rinses with honey but I personally can't see that going well.

spirals
January 19th, 2018, 10:07 PM
Yes I would like to try them I’ll take them off your hands! I’ll pay you something so it’s not a total loss for you too.

I sent you a PM.

Beeboo123
January 19th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Chamomile and peppermint! Makes my hair soft and shiny, and i love the smell

Trip
January 19th, 2018, 11:14 PM
Yea i like to them on their own or combined with acv

proo
January 20th, 2018, 10:26 AM
I have recently experimented with both pine and cedar rinses-
I make a tea with the fresh needles, a whole pot,
use it as a rinse with a dash of white vinegar
then a cold water rinse (melted snow)
The results have been great-
Both seem to strengthen and condition,
the cedar rinse has drastically reduced shedding, although I don’t shed much anyway.

spirals
January 20th, 2018, 11:34 AM
I hear you can eat pine needles also. I saw a recipe for pine pound cake once.

Wendyp
January 20th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I have recently experimented with both pine and cedar rinses-
I make a tea with the fresh needles, a whole pot,
use it as a rinse with a dash of white vinegar
then a cold water rinse (melted snow)
The results have been great-
Both seem to strengthen and condition,
the cedar rinse has drastically reduced shedding, although I don’t shed much anyway.

Ermygarsh!! I shed a lot! And I have 12 acres of pine trees! I’m so excited right now!! Thank you!

Karen Marie Shelton
January 20th, 2018, 04:21 PM
I hear you can eat pine needles also. I saw a recipe for pine pound cake once.

Hi,

This post caught my eye. I thought...WOW...pound cake (which I love) + pine. Yum.

I didn't find a pound cake made with pine needles, but pine nuts:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/pine-nut-pound-cake-with-blood-orange-glaze-recipe.html

I love pine nuts. I used to get a Make-Your-Own pasta dish at Macaroni Grill which had bowtie pasta, pine nuts, goat cheese and a white cream sauce. OMG. The pine nuts were awesome.

BTW I use Marshmallow herbs boiled into a fresh tea as my rinse. It has hydrating properties and really makes my hair soft.

Great thread. Loved all the tips. Thank you kindly.

FrayedFire
January 20th, 2018, 08:16 PM
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/03/pine-nut-pound-cake-with-blood-orange-glaze-recipe.html

I love pine nuts. I used to get a Make-Your-Own pasta dish at Macaroni Grill which had bowtie pasta, pine nuts, goat cheese and a white cream sauce. OMG. The pine nuts were awesome.

Pine nuts are awesome on hummus, I wish they weren't so expensive!

Karen Marie Shelton
January 21st, 2018, 02:33 AM
Pine nuts are awesome on hummus, I wish they weren't so expensive!

Oh yes. I forgot about that. Pine nuts are yummy on hummus. I just love hummus too.

You are right...they are very expensive and it's hard to find them when they are fresh and there is no risk of them being rancid.

Some chefs use alternatives to pine nuts, but I don't think the alternatives are the same. The good news? Some of the alternatives are very good to eat to nourish hair & skin, but still doesn't have the same awesome taste as pine nuts.

Check out:
https://tastessence.com/best-alternatives-for-pine-nuts

proo
January 21st, 2018, 06:28 AM
Pine needle tea is delicious, lemony, and high in vitamin C
Cedar tea contains something that can build up and be toxic over time if ingested.
This is no problem topically though

Wendyp
January 21st, 2018, 06:42 AM
Hi,

This post caught my eye. I thought...WOW...pound cake (which I love) + pine. Yum.

BTW I use Marshmallow herbs boiled into a fresh tea as my rinse. It has hydrating properties and really makes my hair soft.

Great thread. Loved all the tips. Thank you kindly.

Wow turns out pine nuts have a lot of benefits for hair and skin, I found this article. I wouldn’t use as a rinse tho. I know them as pignoli. My hubby is 100% Italian and I cook a lot with them. Pignoli cooks are sooo good. Pignoli are the basis of pesto. Which I will make more this summer with my fresh basil and heirloom tomatoes I grow.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-pine-nuts-for-skin-and-hair/%3famp=1
I have hibiscus trees everywhere too, I rinsed if I can use the flowers as a tea? I hear a lot about hibiscus too..

Wendyp
January 21st, 2018, 06:44 AM
Pine needle tea is delicious, lemony, and high in vitamin C
Cedar tea contains something that can build up and be toxic over time if ingested.
This is no problem topically though

This is amazing!! I have pine needs everywhere! Going to gather some today!