PDA

View Full Version : Any vegans/vegetarians out there?

Vegan_Mama
January 15th, 2018, 09:05 PM
I've been vegan for almost a year now and have noticed a great improvement in my health but didn't notice a huge change with my hair. This week I've been eating mostly raw foods and added a lot of fruit to my diet. I know it sounds crazy but my hair seems to be growing much faster already!! Wondering if anyone else has noticed a change after going vegan or vegetarian? Xo

Five of Five
January 15th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Mine seems to grow at the same rate regardless of diet, so long as I have sufficient iron levels and enough calories (otherwise I notice a large increase in shedding).

Going vegan definitely helped my skin, though!

lapushka
January 16th, 2018, 03:40 AM
I used to try to go vegetarian in my youth, but never succeeded. I never could get used to going without meat. But that's me.

I think going vegetarian or vegan is very admirable. You have to be able to do it, though.

Ever since my disability I eat what my parents eat, and they are full meat eaters. It's just too difficult to do it otherwise, for us, it's different for everybody. YMMV.

I'm always looking into threads like these, though, who knows, I might get ideas. :)

lapushka
January 16th, 2018, 04:02 AM
BTW, here's the appropriate thread about it all:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=206

Vegan_Mama
January 16th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Five of Five veganism helped my skin as well! I've never noticed shedding since being vegan but I've had my blood tested and I have really high iron levels apparently. Must be all those leafy greens haha!

Vegan_Mama
January 16th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Iapushka I totally understand!! I never thought I would go vegan in a million years.. especially when I was still living with my folks. It's been easier to do it since moving out. Pinterest is your best friend for recipes. I also don't think I could have done it without that. Thank you so much for posting the link!! Apparently I "don't have permission to access it though" maybe because I'm a newbie here? I know I have to get to like 25 posts to increase my access. I'll have to come back to this and try again then :)

Dems
January 16th, 2018, 04:56 AM
Live long veggie just turned vegan over here! I haven't yet noticed improvements to my hair or skin yet, but I've only been vegan a couple of weeks :) as for vegetarian, I've never eaten meat so have nothing to compare it to!

Vegan_Mama
January 16th, 2018, 05:02 AM
Dems, you've never eaten meat!!?? That's incredible wow!! You definitely don't come across people often who have been raised vegetarian or vegan.. at least where I'm from! I intend to raise my son vegan. Are you happy you were raised vegetarian.. and congratulations on your vegan transition! I hope you notice a wonderful health change too :)

Nyrak
January 16th, 2018, 05:08 AM
I am vegan. About 2 years now. I don’t know if it has affected my hair positively, but there has been no change negatively that I can tell. No hair loss, and seems to grow as much as it ever has. :)

Vegan_Mama
January 16th, 2018, 05:12 AM
Nyrak, that's great you haven't had a negative change. I hear of all these vegans growing their hair fast so I was wondering if it was actually true. Hmm maybe it's a myth lol ��

EdG
January 16th, 2018, 06:07 AM
There are quite a few vegans and vegetarians here. You will see when you get access to the Off Topic Board.
Ed

lapushka
January 16th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Meanwhile you can all hang out here. ;) :p You guys will get to 25 posts in no time, you'll see. :D :thumbsup:

samanthaa
January 16th, 2018, 09:30 AM
I am vegan. About 2 years now. I don’t know if it has affected my hair positively, but there has been no change negatively that I can tell. No hair loss, and seems to grow as much as it ever has. :)

This. I was getting 3/4" per month for a while this past year, but that seems to have slowed down now. I've been vegan for 1.5 years. I never tracked my hair growth rate before I was vegan, so I have nothing to compare this to. The change could be related to the season, or to the change in my exercise routine, who knows. But, I've not noticed any negative impacts since going vegan.

Five of Five
January 16th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Five of Five veganism helped my skin as well! I've never noticed shedding since being vegan but I've had my blood tested and I have really high iron levels apparently. Must be all those leafy greens haha!

I'm loving the clearer skin. Even for just purely self-centered reasons, I wish I had gone vegan much sooner! I also lost some of my excess weight without having to restrict at all, which for me is a big deal.

My iron levels actually improved with going vegan, probably because of the leafy greens and beans, and not having dairy. That said, I donate blood so I still keep an eye on it. Hair shedding and leg cramps are the symptoms I look out for.

*Wednesday*
January 16th, 2018, 06:31 PM
I've been a vegetarian (including no sea animals or gelatin) 11 years. I have not noticed any difference in my hair.