PDA

View Full Version : Disguising thinner hairline hair with top-of-head buns?

akurah
January 13th, 2018, 11:04 AM
I prefer to wear my buns on the top of my head, it's the most comfortable.

Unfortunately, I have thinner hairline hair on one side, which I am unsure if has always been there and I didn't notice before, if it's age related, if it's stress related (my stress last year, between two cats dying and an abusive roommate, was so high I'm amazed I didn't have significant stress alopecia), or what. I don't particularly care for how it looks because it makes me self conscious. You cannot tell if it's there if I wear my buns lower, but wearing the buns lower is uncomfortable (except nape of neck buns, but I usually can't get those "flat enough" not to drive me batty when I turn my head).

If it is in fact hair loss, there's baby hairs so there may also be regrowth going on.

I'm unsure if treating it will be necessary, especially if it was always there and I didn't notice before, and also if it wasn't always there, it does look like there might be regrowth. I'm still considering trying something nonetheless, but I don't want to try Rogaine because I've heard you have to continue to use it to get results. I have Nizoral but I don't use it often because the fragrance irritates my skin (though this is making me self conscious enough that I may just use it anyway).

I am curious if it might be possible to disguise it, and if anyone has any suggestions on how? Or if it's possibly less noticeable to people who are not me, and if it's unnecessary to feel self-conscious about it. Bangs are not an option at this juncture.

https://i.imgur.com/cgNeOlP.jpg?1 https://i.imgur.com/mnFmetW.jpg?1

Cg
January 13th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Two things I do regularly: either add a side parting (you might manage a middle one, I cannot) or loosely French braid starting at the high crown, not pulling the hair back.

You can then place the bun wherever you want without displaying the hairline.

Beeboo123
January 13th, 2018, 11:56 AM
If you’re looking for a temporary solution while the baby hairs grow back, why not shade it in with a little eyeshadow to make your hairline look a little more full?

Corvana
January 13th, 2018, 01:19 PM
If you’re looking for a temporary solution while the baby hairs grow back, why not shade it in with a little eyeshadow to make your hairline look a little more full?

I was just about to suggest this! They have hair powders to temporarily disguise root regrowth between dyes, but it's always seemed like eyeshadow to me. If you've got neutral matte eyeshadows, you can just stick 'em in your hair to disguise it! You'd only be able to tell up close, and most people don't get that close (unless they're whispering in your ear or kissing you).

lapushka
January 13th, 2018, 01:47 PM
I wear my buns high up too, but not as high as you do. I wear mine about in the middle of where yours is and your ears end (up top); that's my sweet spot. And the top is just visible from the front then.

Maybe keep an eye on the hairline the next year, as things settle down somewhat for you. :flower:

You can always try some black castor oil on it, if that at all works (it's worth a shot). You could massage it in the evening before washing your hair for instance and wash it out the next day.

Good luck. And I love your pictures. You have baby hairs there, just like me (they never grow longer).

school of fish
January 13th, 2018, 04:52 PM
That's the height at which I wear my buns too, when I wear them, and I have some thinnish spots in the same areas as you have. Those spots are more or less visible on any given day due to who-knows-why reasons...

Two things I can think of that I do to reduce visibility (short of cutting in the face framing layers that I have - those help a great deal but if that's not what you want then you shouldn't :) )

1- making sure not to bun too tightly. A little slack on the pulling seems to give a little more leniency on how full the hairline looks, and I can use all the help I can get there :p

2- after the bun is set in place, gently drawing a comb over the pulled back sections to coax them into the most desirable position possible. I find this really helps for all manner of visual inconsistencies where the hair is pulled back - from evening out any tight/loose spots to camouflaging thinner areas.

I really like the idea of applying a tinted powder to areas where the scalp shows through as well, but haven't gotten around to trying it out for myself - I'll get to it one of these days ;) If you go that route I'd try applying it with a fluffyish makeup brush like the type you might use for blush - I think that would be more inclined to give more of diffuse, blended kind of effect than a smaller eyeshadow or contouring brush might.

Ophidian
January 13th, 2018, 08:55 PM
First, I think it is probably more noticeable to you than anyone else. I do see baby hairs but I've always been fond of them on others (I don't have them).

I don't know if this would work for your scalp (mine doesn't like being parted in different places) but I would second Cg's suggestion about trying either a center or side part before you bun your hair. If you section out the front from the part down towards your ears and then do your bun, you could cover the parts of your hairline that you're feeling self-conscious about with that and then incorporate it into the rest of your bun somehow. Maybe there could be some cool options with mini braids or twists if you wanted to mix it up.

lapushka's suggestion about castor oil is also something I might try if it agrees with your scalp. I had a lot of stress- and health-related hair loss a few years ago and when I got serious about taking care of my hair again I started doing scalp massages with castor+essential oils and saw a lot of regrowth.

I hope things are going better for you :blossom:

yahirwaO.o
January 13th, 2018, 11:34 PM
That's the height at which I wear my buns too, when I wear them, and I have some thinnish spots in the same areas as you have. Those spots are more or less visible on any given day due to who-knows-why reasons...

Two things I can think of that I do to reduce visibility (short of cutting in the face framing layers that I have - those help a great deal but if that's not what you want then you shouldn't :) )

1- making sure not to bun too tightly. A little slack on the pulling seems to give a little more leniency on how full the hairline looks, and I can use all the help I can get there :p

2- after the bun is set in place, gently drawing a comb over the pulled back sections to coax them into the most desirable position possible. I find this really helps for all manner of visual inconsistencies where the hair is pulled back - from evening out any tight/loose spots to camouflaging thinner areas.

I really like the idea of applying a tinted powder to areas where the scalp shows through as well, but haven't gotten around to trying it out for myself - I'll get to it one of these days ;) If you go that route I'd try applying it with a fluffyish makeup brush like the type you might use for blush - I think that would be more inclined to give more of diffuse, blended kind of effect than a smaller eyeshadow or contouring brush might.

I do the exact same thing too! Over the years I've managed to have a trained scalp for all sort of positions (right on top or at nape level) but I just prefer mine right on top of my head with the sades gently pulled out and combed with a small tool. This usually keeps the cleavage bad bits showing all tame and nice. Also If you part your hair in a different section and wrap it then usually gives a softer look and its way more gentle than having all tightly against your scalp with spots showing.

I find that hair powder gives enough texture and since I use cocoa powder it gives a slight tint that kinda covers those areas as well.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 14th, 2018, 12:08 AM
I tried using eye shadow on my scalp but it gives me the itchies after awhile. I need to wash the scalp for SURE if I do it.
Which means getting wet and shampooing etc etc which if you're like me and prefer stretching washes, then it doesnt work for you.

akurah
January 14th, 2018, 05:32 PM
This is all incredibly helpful, thank you guys! I'm going to attempt some of this. I am also going to try to remember to get castor oil on my next grocery/errand run, but I'm going to attempt clever parts and maybe not bunning a section of hair right near that spot, then when the bun is up, taking the hair and gently combing it over before tucking it around the base of the bun. Also going to try the loose french braid idea.

The french braid suggestion also gave me the idea of trying a little mini.. i don't know what they call it, but it's where they make a little hump at the front of your hairline, like a faux pompadour, except the hair is long, and sometimes they sell little things you tuck under the hair to help the bump hold it's shape, to see if the little bump helps disguise it, since that would be done loosely then pinned before the rest got bunned.

Ophidian
January 14th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Sounds great akurah, let us know how it goes!

cjk
January 14th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Question. Is there any reason you wear only a single bun?

The most famous one would be Princess Leia's double side buns. Might something like that work for you?

akurah
January 14th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Question. Is there any reason you wear only a single bun?

The most famous one would be Princess Leia's double side buns. Might something like that work for you?

Yep, cause I don't want to wear more than one bun.

eta: yikes, that's snide. I didn't intend it that way. But basically, it's "This is how i prefer to wear my hair and I don't want to change it if I don't have to."

cjk
January 14th, 2018, 07:45 PM
No offense was taken.

I always approach problem solving, and that's what you were asking, with an examination of the most basic assumptions being made. And, in this case, a single bun was the assumption.

Just trying to be helpful.

akurah
January 14th, 2018, 07:49 PM
No offense was taken.

I always approach problem solving, and that's what you were asking, with an examination of the most basic assumptions being made. And, in this case, a single bun was the assumption.

Just trying to be helpful.

It's appreciated. Plus even though yeah, "I don't want to wear more than one bun" holds true... I might give it a shot anyway. I've been considering getting some more ficcarissimos anyway, and the new style is very low profile, so if I got two smalls that could probably hold two LWBs on the top of my head. Plus I can get a medium one while I'm at it.

akurah
January 14th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Oh, regarding castor oil:

Most posts I've read from searching here indicate a 1:1 ratio with castor and a less heavy oil is a good starting point, so I'm going to do 1:1 castor and either coconut or sweet almond oil tonight, but am wondering if you guys had any suggestions on if that might be too high/low? Or just trial and error should do? I've heard if you accidentally overdo the castor it's annoying to get out, so I might pick up a conditioner to condition it out in case I mess up the ratios and it's a mess. (if I'm double lucky I can find a low fragrance or fragrance free one)

Ophidian
January 15th, 2018, 07:36 PM
I think I eventually settled on a ratio of about 1:1 but I'm not positive because I kinda just threw some castor in a bottle with a lighter carrier oil and some EO's. As long as it was thin enough to massage in without being too "grippy" I was happy with it. I never did a heavy oiling with this, just lightly coated my fingertips. It also helped to do it in the evening so it could soak in overnight.

enting
January 16th, 2018, 02:56 AM
A style that might work for you could be a front lace braid or a headband braid before bunning. That would keep hair right at your hairline and make it more defined. Also, do you ever bun with your head upside down? That may also help disguise the thinner parts.

Castor oil is very thick and sticky. Personally I like to use it on its own, applied with a qtip. Then, if I feel the need to spread it around more, I'll apply a different oil on top to help spread it. I don't premix any oil combination with castor oil.

If you haven't used it before, do watch out for any adverse effects from the castor oil. For some it can make their hair shed more where it's applied.