PDA

View Full Version : Help! Bad scalp pain!!!

Beeboo123
January 13th, 2018, 03:28 AM
Yesterday, I wore my hair in a tight nautilus which I had apparently not put up very well, because after a few hours, my scalp was painful. I took it down, and my scalp is still so sore and tender today. I used to scoff when people said they could not wear buns because it causes them pain, but I can understand how they feel now... Is there anything I can do to stop the pain (I am wearing my hair down today)? Will the hair on the painful spots eventually fall out in a clump, leaving me with a bald patch? I’m so scared of that happening, my scalp is still so painful! Help!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 13th, 2018, 03:36 AM
The hair won't fall out, but your scalp might be painful for several day.s Try scalp massages and running your scalp under some warm water, that might help. We've all been there, follicle pain is awful.

Lady Stardust
January 13th, 2018, 04:18 AM
Maybe take some pain relief so that you're not panicking about it? It's impossible to ignore head pain and there's no point suffering. I hope it passes soon.

lapushka
January 13th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Yesterday, I wore my hair in a tight nautilus which I had apparently not put up very well, because after a few hours, my scalp was painful. I took it down, and my scalp is still so sore and tender today. I used to scoff when people said they could not wear buns because it causes them pain, but I can understand how they feel now... Is there anything I can do to stop the pain (I am wearing my hair down today)? Will the hair on the painful spots eventually fall out in a clump, leaving me with a bald patch? I’m so scared of that happening, my scalp is still so painful! Help!

After wearing my hair up for the week (LWB when I'm up the week through, except on wash day), and when it gets washed, I can feel where it's been up and the soreness of the scalp, and the oilier it gets, the more it is felt too!

Maybe it was due to the tightness of the bun? In which case, if it is ever too tight, choose a different style of bun!!! Key here!

No your hair won't fall out from it (I would have been bald by now).

Relax a little, I know it hurts, but it's not the end of the world and it won't have consequences (but then I don't know how tight you pulled it). I'm guessing it was still bearable, in which case, everything should be fine! :flower:

Beeboo123
January 13th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Thank you for your responses! The pain is very bearable, I was just worried about potential hair loss. Good to know that won’t happen, I’m really relieved

Kellylee
January 13th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Happens to me all the time. It’s goes away as soon as I wash my hair.

Cg
January 13th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Now you've learned -- whenever a bun feels tight, take it down and redo, preferably a different bun in a somewhat different spot on the scalp. It's important to distribute the tension and weight as equally as possible, to avoid scalp pain.

Corvana
January 13th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I get a sore scalp sometimes, and it always gets better after I wash my hair. I have no idea why, but that's the honest truth! A bit of a scalp massage does help, but not as fully as just washing my hair does.

lapushka
January 13th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Happens to me all the time. It’s goes away as soon as I wash my hair.

I get a sore scalp sometimes, and it always gets better after I wash my hair. I have no idea why, but that's the honest truth! A bit of a scalp massage does help, but not as fully as just washing my hair does.

Yep, after a good shampoo-massage, it gets soothed and goes away here too. I think buns are the "heaviest" when the scalp is more oily too. I notice that as the week goes on and I do my bun it gets more "sore" (well it's a weak dull kind of "ache") when it's more oily.

Jo Ann
January 13th, 2018, 06:21 PM
My scalp hurts if I come all of my hair over the top of my head and put it in a braid (Note to self: DON'T DO THIS!!) The weird thing is that it didn't hurt until AFTER I took it down and combed my hair out.

Some kind of over the counter (OTC) pain reliever does help, as do scalp massages. If it gets/stays too bad, jump in the shower and do a CO-wash--the massage and warm water will help, too!

spidermom
January 13th, 2018, 06:35 PM
It helps me to hang forward, my hair falling toward my feet, then combing-combing-combing all over my scalp.

lapushka
January 14th, 2018, 04:22 AM
This week my hair wasn't as oily (thanks to the HE Dazzling Shine shampoo last week) and it didn't hurt as much. I think oil has something to do with it too, in my case it does. If it gets oilier, I feel it more when I twist my hair in its updo.

cathair
January 14th, 2018, 01:39 PM
I find it my hair hurts from bunning, it usually also means I have stretched my washes too far. I don't know if that's the case for you too?

marvel-lover
January 14th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Ouch! I sometimes get scalp pain when I make my buns too tight as well. I recommend scalp massages, and just leaving your hair down or in a braid for a couple of days. Nothing that puts a lot of stress on the scalp. On the brightside, you aren't going to have hair loss from this, just be cautious of tight buns in the future. I hope it gets better! :flowers:

Flowerness
January 14th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Funny, but my scalp does this too, when it gets too greasy. When this happens, it is because my hair/scalp really doesn't want to be in a certain position. Then, I know I need to wash my hair, ASAP! I also try to section my hair when I shampoo- I'm not the best at that. If my scalp is being picky, I try to do ACV rinses more often, that helps, too for me.

Vegan_Mama
January 14th, 2018, 11:58 PM
I'm so glad you posted this! I'm in the same boat right now. I started stretching my washes out. I found massaging really helpful. I'm going to try the backwards combing tomorrow as suggested by spidermom. Thanks!!