PDA

View Full Version : Putting Slides In Hair When Wet

BexArt1994
January 12th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Hi everyone,

As the title says, for the past year or so I have been putting two small hair slides in either side of my hair when wet as I air dry my hair and it helps to keep my hair out my face.

I do this quite gently so it doesn't pull the hair back too much but lately I've noticed some shorter hairs on my hairline (about 5 or 6) and I'm wondering if this could be breakage from having put the slides in when my hair is wet? It's weird that it would have taken a year for this to happen but what do you all think?

Groovy Granny
January 12th, 2018, 12:28 PM
What are the slides made of?

It could very well be new growth...my head is full of them ;)

ETA: I use small claw clips

lapushka
January 12th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Hi everyone,

As the title says, for the past year or so I have been putting two small hair slides in either side of my hair when wet as I air dry my hair and it helps to keep my hair out my face.

I do this quite gently so it doesn't pull the hair back too much but lately I've noticed some shorter hairs on my hairline (about 5 or 6) and I'm wondering if this could be breakage from having put the slides in when my hair is wet? It's weird that it would have taken a year for this to happen but what do you all think?

I do this too, I pin my hair out the way, but I use claw clips, and clip my entire length up that way for air drying. Bonus to using claw clips: it doesn't rust. Barrettes might rust, is that the kind of "slides" you're using? I don't pull my hair taught though, and just put claws here and there.

I have done this for several years now, at least 3 I think, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects.

BexArt1994
January 12th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I use kirby grips that are plastic, if that helps.

Chromis
January 12th, 2018, 04:16 PM
They could be causing breakage, but it is also very, very normal to have shorter hairs along the temples and nape.

Beckstar
January 12th, 2018, 04:26 PM
What is a slide?

Groovy Granny
January 12th, 2018, 04:28 PM
I use kirby grips that are plastic, if that helps.
If they are like 'bobby pins' (what I found when I googled kirby grips) then they could cause breakage if they are snug and pulled out; be sure to open them up before inserting/removing them.

lapushka
January 12th, 2018, 04:54 PM
No I wouldn't use bobby pins; they are so tight! No wonder.

Claw clips are much better in this case.

Andthetalltrees
January 12th, 2018, 05:41 PM
I use to pin the front part of my hair with bobby pins everyday for years, I had a bunch of short pieces on my hairline then, as I do now even though I haven't used bobby pins at all in a long time. So it could just be re-growth or short terminals in that spot regardless.

BexArt1994
January 13th, 2018, 02:30 AM
No I wouldn't use bobby pins; they are so tight! No wonder.

Claw clips are much better in this case.

Well, the thing is I don't use them to put my whole hair up (it would take even longer to dry that way) but just to pin the sides back so should I try using mini claw clips? I'm just thinking might it be the act of pulling the hair in any way (no matter how gently) when wet that is causing strain on the hair or would that not be enough to cause breakage do you think?

akurah
January 13th, 2018, 02:38 AM
If you're just pulling your hair from your face, get a spa terry cloth headband.

something like so:
https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Washable-Headbands-LongWhen-Stretched/dp/B016N242J8/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515836238&sr=8-5&keywords=terry+cloth+head+bands

lapushka
January 13th, 2018, 03:17 AM
Well, the thing is I don't use them to put my whole hair up (it would take even longer to dry that way) but just to pin the sides back so should I try using mini claw clips? I'm just thinking might it be the act of pulling the hair in any way (no matter how gently) when wet that is causing strain on the hair or would that not be enough to cause breakage do you think?

Yes I understood that. I pin tiny sections of my hair up loosely à la curly girl method, so the claws aren't tight. You can even use duckbill clips for that purpose, but to me claw clips are just way way easier. And I've been doing this for a long time and see no breakage from it or anything.

I would ditch the bobby pins, but it's up to you, of course! Bobby pins always will have a tighter grip on the hair than say a claw clip would, but that's just my experience.

If you have claw clips, I'd give it a go.

truepeacenik
January 13th, 2018, 09:49 AM
If you're just pulling your hair from your face, get a spa terry cloth headband.

something like so:
https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Washable-Headbands-LongWhen-Stretched/dp/B016N242J8/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515836238&sr=8-5&keywords=terry+cloth+head+bands

I second this idea. I use bandannas for years to hold hair back as it dried.