PDA

View Full Version : My sad little 4 year LHC anniversary

divinedobbie
January 11th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I wasn't going to make a post because I don't have an amazing transformation, or really any transformation at all, but I feel like moping.

I joined LHC 4 years ago and while I've really enjoyed my time here thus far, my hair apparently doesn't share my feelings and has refused to blossom.

I went through a year of experimentation in 2013 after having completely virgin hair all my life including some straightening, highlights, dye, dyed again, layered, had extensions etc. I joined here 6 months after deciding to grow out natural long hair and this is what I started with:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10763&d=1399334978

My hair has been 100% heat free since then and babied beyond belief. I use a seamless resin comb, sulphate free shampoos, conditioners with my favourite slip ingredients, lots of protein masks, oils and deep conditioners. My only sin and biggest regret was getting a balayage done 2 1/2 years ago, then two years later trying to reverse that through a series of disastrous attempts.

The picture in my siggy and my profile picture was about 2-3 years ago.

But I'm been experiencing really heavy hair loss in the past 6 months-1 year (I can't even pinpoint it) and my circumference has gone down from an already measly 2.75" to 2" so I chopped from waist to BSL and I'm back at 26". And here is the grand finale picture of 4 years:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29830&d=1515640369

My hair was 24" inches when I joined. So very sadly, I have only gained two inches of growth in an entire 4 years of time and I am thinking of cutting more to thicken it up. Maybe long hair isn't attainable for everyone :shrug:

marvel-lover
January 11th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Oh my word, please don't call this sad! This is remarkable progress, worthy of celebration! Look how healthy it is! I think, because it's called Long Hair Community, that there's pressure to have long hair to be noticed. Frankly, it's entirely worth celebrating and praising your growth in caring for your hair, and loving the condition of your hair. I think it's beautiful! Congratulations!

Zesty
January 11th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Don't be sad! That is a huge difference! It looks so healthy and the shape of it is very fetching. I also like the color. I'm sure you can grow longer if that's what you want, but length isn't the only thing that's valuable in one's hair journey. :)

embee
January 11th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Well now, it looks pretty in that last pic. Soft and smooth. Near your scalp the hair looks glossy. :) Perhaps you're still growing out your disaster? Personally I think it's quite tricky to get an accurate circumference measurement - mine never seemed to be the same, even on the same day. Tiresome.

I don't know, but for me, simplifying what I did worked well. Wash, condition, wear up. I also quit measuring altogether as that was driving me nuts. Benign Neglect became my routine. It's rather inexpensive too, always a plus.

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Refused to blossom?

Your hair did do that, though! I think. :flower:

It looks great. Happy anniversary. Many more to you. Happy growing. :)

diddiedaisy
January 11th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Your hair looks very pretty, healthy and shiny.

I get the same feelings as you, I’ve just cut back from waist due to a couple of bad sheds and am at 26”. Every January I’m roughly this length. Circles circles circles lol

The thing is, in the real world you have long hair and probably healthier hair than other non lhc’ers.

Celebrate it’s gorgeousness!!! :)

kittengirl
January 11th, 2018, 04:53 PM
I love the shape of your hair and it is so shiny! I think your progress is great!

Corvana
January 11th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Definitely a transformation. Your hair looks much healthier and shinier, and your hemline looks noticeably thicker and nicer!

Ophidian
January 11th, 2018, 05:36 PM
It really is a lovely color and shape, and it is very shiny! I understand that the unexplained hairloss must be causing you some stress, but take heart in the fact that we can see a big change. All the babying you've been doing really does show. :love:

DweamGoiL
January 11th, 2018, 06:15 PM
ok, Ms. dobbie let me start by saying your hair is just DIVINE!!! Seriously, it is so full and shiny and just so much healthier and smooth. Yes, your transformation is not as dramatic length-wise, but you've gained so much more thickness. I love the color of your hair. I think you should be proud of your hair. It's just lovely. Congratulations on your anniversary and metamorphosis :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 11th, 2018, 06:24 PM
But your hair looks so much healthier!
Look, I’ve been here since 2011... that’s almost 8 years of me growing and I’m just barely waist.
You and I are very simpatico. But, you need to remember you trimmed a lot of growth off.
And it took me so long, because I needed to have a lot of trims, just like you did.
I personally won’t be trimming this year. Or at least as little as I can bare.
No matter what my hair just splits. I would roll with the punches. Just leave your hair be and see what happens.
You don’t have to stop growing, just stop consciously growing. Let it do it on its own, you know?
I don’t think you should give up though, but do stop trimming. I think you’ll be better for it.

lithostoic
January 11th, 2018, 08:22 PM
I think it looks long and beautiful :)

Jo Ann
January 11th, 2018, 08:25 PM
DD, you have hair to DIE for! It's healthy, shiny, well-behaved and DDG*! What's not to love?

*Drop Dead Gorgeous

Deborah
January 11th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Your hair looks much prettier and healthier now. The journey has absolutely been worth it. Hair beauty beats hair length in my book. Keep up the good work!

MlleMC
January 11th, 2018, 09:05 PM
There's nothing to be sad about. Your hair may not be all that much longer, but it certainly does look a LOT healthier and prettier.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 12th, 2018, 12:27 AM
Refused to blossom?

Look at that healthy hair you have there! Long, glossy and with a beautiful hemline!

You might be too used to thinking about what you don't like about it rather than what you do like about it. You come over here and borrow my eyes to see it with :)

Happy 4th hairiversary!

Lady Stardust
January 12th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Your hair looks so beautiful and healthy, I can see how well you've looked after it.

If you have a look around at people you see every day you'd be hard pressed to find such lovely hair.

Kiiruna
January 12th, 2018, 04:27 AM
But your hair is gorgeous! I don't see any reason to cut or even trim, to me it looks thick and very healthy already :)

stachelbeere
January 12th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Your hair looks beautiful! I love the shine, that’s something I really wish my hair was capable of again :blossom:
I also love the hem line - we are our own worst critics, I don’t think you need a cut

*Wednesday*
January 12th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Your hair did transform. We are our worst critics.

AspenSong
January 12th, 2018, 11:35 AM
I think your hair HAS undergone an amazing transformation! It's so healthy and beautiful! You should be proud of it! Your hemline is so lovely. <3

FrayedFire
January 12th, 2018, 11:47 AM
What everyone else is saying. There's not much growth, certainly, but not only are you probably still growing out some damage (and trimming?), it looks much healthier. Small blooms are just as lovely as large ones. How did you baby it?

Ligeia Noire
January 12th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Nothing wrong with your hair and I think it actually wants to blossom but the processing did not help and balayages, dyes and straightening do linger for years. Do not give up on it as it certainly did not grow much but it recuperated beautifully.

Pinni
January 12th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Have a nice 4 year anniversary:blossom:, your hair looks so much better!

Groovy Granny
January 12th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Your hair looks great...I see growth and improvement in the shine/texture/hemline ....congrats :cheer:

ggallagher27
January 12th, 2018, 02:22 PM
I see so many great things about your journey. I can understand how you feel discouraged, but I think you have made great progress. Your hair looks to have great shine. Please don't give up. We are all here for you.

TatsuOni
January 13th, 2018, 05:38 AM
Congrats! It looks so much healthier and really beautiful now!

enting
January 13th, 2018, 12:21 PM
It looks a lot thicker to me now than in your starting pictures. Thickness is progress, too! It also usually means your natural terminal isn't close. After having gone through so much before you joined, being able to gain length at all is pretty impressive.

Stray_mind
January 13th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Your hair looks so healthy and beautiful! I think you should be happy and proud.

Love that color too!

Congratulations. :flower:

divinedobbie
January 15th, 2018, 07:52 PM
A very big THANK YOU to everyone :flowers: I am trying not to get down about it, I just expected to be so much further than I am now and I keep wondering if I had just chopped all my damage off if I would have gotten further instead of struggling to get just this far and I am more afraid that by not chopping again I will still be here in another 4 years and that doesn't help!