PDA

View Full Version : I'm furious at this bad bang job

LadyGoddess
October 29th, 2008, 12:47 PM
So I've been planning for months now to finally make the plunge and get some bangs. Today was the day so I did some research and choose the side-swept bangs. I printed these pictures out and took with me as reference: http://i33.tinypic.com/nx8d9y.gif The stylist didn't even look at the pictures and put them down on the counter.

I'm so furious. The bangs aren't even different lengths. I watched an iVillage (I think) video before I left the house on how they should be done. Something about a pyramid and one end is short and it gets progressively, but smooothly longer. When I brush them full-into my face, they're blunt cut and are nose's length. I hate looking like I hacked away at my hair myself instead of having paid someone else good money, who was suppose to have gone to beauty school to do this ****eous job. Now I'm going to have to wear them clipped back against my scalp---precisely what I was trying to NOT do since I wanted to hide my huge forehead---till they grow back out in a few months.

I'm crying I'm so mad. This place had a 4.5 star rating!

Ohio Sky
October 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I can't see the pictures so I don't know exactly what you're talking about, but did you give this "shiteous" stylist a piece of your mind? :mad:

Curlsgirl
October 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Even when they are cut right, it is hard for some types of hair to get the look in the first pic honestly. The moon and the stars have to line up for me for example. I am not saying it's exactly cut RIGHT but I don't think it's bad at all. In fact I kind of like it and don't see that much difference. Do you have any body in your hair at all? A curling iron used right or some gel may help too and you may be able to fix them to look like you want them to look.

LadyGoddess
October 29th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I'm waaaay too polite for that sort of thing. I just paid and left quickly as possible. Kinda like how I didn't say a peep when this stylist lied and hacked off too much of my hair (not sure how three inches translated to twelve inches).

I'm going back to the review site and giving an accurate review though.

RocketDog
October 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Most good salons will happily fix a bad cut - go back and talk to the manager, explain that you are unhappy and want them to fix the problem. Tell them how the stylist acted and they may get a different stylist to fix your fringe for you - and it should ALL be free. That's what my salon does!

arylkin
October 29th, 2008, 01:07 PM
It's ridiculous that she didn't look at your pictures, although I think they look cute on you.

I think you should go back to the stylist and have them fix it (since you paid good money and aren't satisfied).

Finoriel
October 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Would it be an idea to correct them yourself? You watched that video how it should work and you know best how you want them to look, length and fullness and so on, so why not try it?
Many people here cut their own hair, which includes also bangs :) itīs not that difficult.
You could also ask Manderly how she did it, she recently cut some great looking sideswept bangs. Hereīs the link to her thread > ZOMG, I just cut bangs! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14407), there are pictures of it on page 3.

Itīs also very rare that bangs, especially sideswept ones naturally look like they do in the pictures you showed to the stylist. Most likely you will need to use styling products and possibly blow dry them into the right shape. Maybe the cut was right but the stylist forgot to style them and thatīs why they do not look as you wanted. Thatīs what I would try out before altering their shape.

And I donīt think your forehead is huge. The bangs as they are now, are not that bad either. Just saying :wink:

MandaMom2Three
October 29th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Been there done that :(, I didn;t say anything either, just went to my car and cried. Mine couldn;t be fixed, once they lopped off 1 foot of hair they couldn't put it back :(

ETA- Still, it looks really cute on you :D

Hypnotica
October 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I just kind of misread the thread title....ahem.

I think you should try to correct it yourself.

Sherri
October 29th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I think you should just do it yourself. Watch the video and practice in a mirror. It is easy, or you could go back to the salon (which after a bad hair cut I wouldn't want to do) and have them fix it.

Starr
October 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM

I think you should try to correct it yourself.

Hypnotica you are so bad!:bigtongue:

But I definately agree, if styling them with product doesn't work, just recut them yourself.

Unofficial_Rose
October 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM
At least it looks like they cut them too long, not too short!

I agree with people saying you should try to fix it yourself, and also that side swept fringes/bangs need a certain amount of styling to achieve that look.

Good luck :)

spidermom
October 29th, 2008, 02:21 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't see a problem. I think that what you got looks similar to what you wanted, just a bit longer and unstyled. At least she didn't cut them too short. Try working with them a week or two before you decide to cut any more, o.k? Act in haste, and you may make things worse.

You look pretty.

GlennaGirl
October 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM
That actually looks about right to me. But you probably don't have the same hairtype, stylist and styling products the celebrities in your pictures have.

I find I have to "oomph" the back part of my hair in order to get my sideswept bangs to look more "stand-alone". You can also try blowing them dry. This works really well for me too and you don't have to touch the rest of your hair. Do it with a slightly rounded brush, aiming them toward the side. Then spritz with a bit of hairspray. I know, I know. But that IS how the celebrities do it, to be honest with you. And it's only the bangs part which you'll be recutting anyway (if you're keeping the bangs).

Another way to get the bangs to look more apparent is to part the rest of the hair behind them slightly on the other side that your bangs are parted from. This "lifts" the top a little.

Personally, I love them. I think you look cute as a button. Good luck!

Laila23
October 29th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I'm sorry about your bad experience! :/

I feel that if you parted your hair about half an inch close to your ear and then pulled your bang over and some how got it stay that way, it would look like picture number 1.

Hope this helps :)

Islandgrrl
October 29th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Aside from the fact that you look like you're about to burst into tears in the pic you posted, I think the bangs look nice on you.

If they're really just not right, you could try to taper them a bit yourself. I did it myself for a long time before I decided to just grow them out. I'd start with a slight taper - maybe 1/2" difference between the longest and shortest part - never make the shortest part any shorter than you'd want all your bangs to be just in case you goof it up and have to cut them all to one length (experience speaking here....ahem).

Chanterelle
October 29th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Honestly, I don't think it's s wrong, just unstyled and maybe a bit too long. And you're cute.
It looks very close to pic 1 and I guess it can be rather easily styled with curling iron and fixed with wax.

wintersun99
October 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM

Hypnotica
October 29th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Hypnotica you are so bad!:bigtongue:

:whistle:

I'm very innocent. Really.

Nightshade
October 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM

At least I'm not the only one :oops:

And "shiteous" is an awesome word.

LadyGoddess- I would go back and have another stylist fix it for you as suggested (should be free) and then she can show you how to style them too which may get you closer to the look you wanted.

wintersun99
October 29th, 2008, 03:47 PM
[...............

StephanieB
October 29th, 2008, 03:56 PM
LadyGoddess, I feel your pain, honey, and I'm so sorry you're so miserable. It shows in your eyes in your pic.
But honey, other than your own misery - you look great!

I remember being miserable after most of the haircuts I've ever had, especially when I was a bit younger than you are... See most of the hairstylists never told me that I couldn't achieve the look I kept clipping pix of and showing them because (1) my ahir was so baby-fine and thin, and (2) those women do not always look like that - they're fixed and fixed and fixed by sytlists right before pix are taken, and touched-up in between shots, and the never go around maintaining that look anywhere outside of the photography stuido. I kept showing pix of people like Farrah Fawcett and Lady Diana Spencer (before she became Princess Di) -- when, in reality, I had hair that was more like Raggety Ann. LOL

I actually think that you got bangs cut that are pretty close to the pix you posted, only (1) your stylist - thankfully for you, since you don't like them! - did not cut enough layers into your hair to achieve the whispy look you seem to want, and (2) apparently did not bother to tell you how to style them to look more "right" (ie: like your pix).

Did you know, LadyGoddess, that in order to acheive that look, you must have lots of layers, and use blow dryer and curling iron?

In ALL of the pix you posted, you'd need to blow dry your hair with a large round brush, pulling it straight up from it's roots, and then curving/swinging the brush at a twist backwards to pull the neds out and back.
And in all of the pix, except possibly for the top right pix, you'd also need to use a curling iron in the same way, after blowfrying your bangs.
Did you understand that?
And, if so..... did you wash and try doing just that, for yourself?
(since your stylist obviously didn't bother to do it and show you how)

If you wash it, and blowdry your bangs like I described, and you curl them with an iron after that as I explained... you will have "that look" that you want.

And if you don't get the look (or as close as your hair type will do) that you want by doing as I suggested - then go back to the salon with your pix, talk to the manager & show him/her your pix, and explain what exactly you don't like about your bangs and/or what you want that's different from what you've got... and you should then ask him/her to get a different stylist to cut more layers into your hair, which will get you closer to all of the looks other than that one upper right pic. All of the other pix have the same bangs, and I think you may need more layers to achieve your desired look. Or, cut the layers in yourself, if you feel you can do it. :)

Now, I don't want to bang on you when you're feeling down, but I'd like to offer you some freindly advice, and I hope you'll take it in the same spirit.

You said, and I quote: "I'm waaaay too polite for that sort of thing. I just paid and left quickly as possible. Kinda like how I didn't say a peep when this stylist lied and hacked off too much of my hair (not sure how three inches translated to twelve inches). I'm going back to the review site and giving an accurate review though."

Well, that's just plain silly in that (1) giving a poor review does nothing for your appearance, nor will it help how you feel about your hair, and (2) it's counter-productive. Nor is it even polite to say nothing, indicating nothing was wrong, and then turning about and giving the salon a poor rating in text... and online, no less.

How can you expect anyone at the salon to know that you're unhappy if you don't tell them that you're unhappy?

Perhaps even more importantly to YOU: How can you expect to rectify the situation if you don't give them the opportunity to do so?
Or, at the very least - in cases when rectification isn't possible, as in a case of 12 inches cut off when only 3 inches was requested - to let the owner or manager know that a particular hairdresser did something that awful when they do such.

Consider VERY carefully what you say, especially in writing. Once words are spoken or comitted to paper - they can't be retracted. That's especially true of written words.

You may have trouble believing this now, because you're so young - but this is true, and you will someday come to appreciate it, even if you can't right now:
If you say - and irrevocably, and in print, no less - that you got a bad cut and your hair looks awful and will look awful 'till it grows back out, then you will believe it, subconsciously. And the rest of the world who reads your review will also believe it. After all, if you said it, then it must be true. Even if looking at you tells one differently... most of those people reading won't actually see what you look like, and that you look nice, in reality.

Finally, and you may take this with a grain of salt, if you choose --- but I recognize something of myself in you, dear, something that's quite painful, and it resonates clear as a bell, and I've learned from decades of long, harsh experience, so I hope you'll learn sooner than I did.

BEFORE you say or write or intimate anything bad or negative about anyone - first talk to that person, and see if whatever's bothering you can be rectified or eased. Talking afterwards is of little value or consequence, and rarely does anyone any good.

If you don't like a haircut you were given - say so! Tell the stylist that you don't like it AND WHY. See if s'he can do anything to "fix" the problem(s). And if the stylist isn't receptive, or doesn 'tknow what to do to try to help you out of the situation/dilemma - speak to the manager... or, best, the owner. Even if you must return to do so another day. ALWAYS talk face-to-face, if that's at all possible; telephone isn't nearly so good to communicate feelings that are very important to you. If something's egregious enough - say, 14 inches cut off when you asked for a 1/4 inch trim to take care of the split ends, for example - then DO NOT PAY for the service; call the manager over and tell him/her why you do not intend to pay. Ask if another stylist can help the situation any... for example - while cut hair can't be glued back on, perhaps something can be done to make the new hair length look it's best. And, if not - at least you haven't paid your hard-earned money for such an inexcusable act.

You said that you'd once before had about a foot of hair length cut off,a nd you walked out without saying anything tah time, too. Did you also pay, then? Did you stew about it? That's unhealthy and you deserve better treatment from yourself. :)

The polite thing to do is to state your feelings in decent language, and to be a precise as possible when you that. Not to say nothing, but give a bad review to someone who was never given the chance to even try to help the situation... or, at the very least, to learn how much you dislike what s/he did.

LadyGoddess, I spent a very LONG time writing and revising my post, and I asked an older friend who mentors me if she would please read it and point out where I can be gentler if possible. I revised, then asked the friend AND hubby (who just came home) to read it and tell me if there's any harshness left in my usual bluntness. Both (over 55) said that, while you might not want to hear nor like what I'm telling you, what I said is both true and for your benefit to learn. And that I was gentle in the wroding.

I hope you agree with them. :)

StephanieB
October 29th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Nope, you two weren't the only ones to misread that title... :lala:

ROTFLMAO

Now how come I read it as "bangs"?!

Maybe coz I've HAD bad bangs cut into my hair... and more than once... or thrice... or 10 times. :eyebrows:

And for the record - I think the gal deserves an award for "shiteous". :D

I've only ever (at her age) come up with "a__wipe" (definition: not even good nuff to wipe one's ___ with), "horrideous" and "gi-fhuge-ic" (obvious combo words).
My langauge has only gotten more colorful with age, I'm afraid. :o:o:o
*hanging my foul-mouthed head in shame*

FrannyG
October 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I'll tell you something. I once and once only had a hairdresser cut sideswept bangs for me. She was an excellent haircutter and even then, it just didn't work. With 1a hair, it's incredibly difficult to get the sideswept look going without a lot of help.

Having said that, I think you have nothing to lose by doing the self-correction as suggested.

I'm sorry that you're so upset. :grouphug:

Isilme
October 29th, 2008, 04:19 PM
StephanieB, that's an incredible good post! To the OP, with some styling I think your new bangs would look nice. And remember that the women in those pictures are styled to maximum, they are smiling and have makeup, you can't believe what a smile and some makeup can do after you have fixed your bangs:)

StephanieB
October 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
LadyGoddess - you don't need make-up to be beautiful.
You only need a smile.

But if it'll make you feel better about yourself - go back to the salon tomorrow, and speak to the manager or owner. Bring the pix and show manager or owner what you intended your hair to look like, and ask him/her to assign a different stylist to "fix" the first stylist's "mistake" / "poor cut". Tell him/her that you paid quite enough the first time, and did not get the but you requested, nor the attention to your needs that you felt the 1st stylist properly shold have given you - and that you trust in his/her good judgement and in the salon's reputation as a good salon to rectify the error at no additional cost to you.

Show your pix to whatever stylist is recomended, and make sure that you fell s/he is paying close attention to what you want, and what they can do for you to achieve that look. If you think you're in better hands - let him/her cut. They will probably cut long layers into the fron of you hair. WATCH what is being done, and if don't like it - stop it right away!!

If another stylist providesyou with the aforementioned good service - you should tip him/her for his/her good/dreat/spectacular (whatever) service. Do not punish one person for another's mistake!

Since I already outed myself, with respect to age, as old nuff to be yer mother... or yer grandmother... I may as well sing this song especially for you:

(if you don't know the tune - google it... it's the theme song from The Partirdge Family T.V. show from my youth)

Hello, world, here's the song that we're singin':
C'mon get hap-py!
A whole lot of lovin' is what we'll be bringin'"
We'll make you happy!
Somethin' always happens whenever we're together,
we get a happy feelin' when we're singing a song.
Trav'lin' along, there's a song that we're singin':
C'mon get happy!
A Whole lot of lovin' is what we'll be bringin':
C'mon get hap-py!
We'll make you hap-py!
We'll make you hap-py!
Our song'll make you hap-py!

or something like that... dunno if my memory's quite so good as it once was :o :p :o

*Granny Stephanie, wondering how long she's gonna have to make a fool of her sorry old self before LadyGoddess get's happy*

Golden21
October 29th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I think your bangs look just like the pictures! I have had this type of bangs before, but they don't really suit me or my hair type. I'm sure you could find videos on line to find out how to style them.

I wouldn't write anything on line that is negative. It's not really fair to everyone else that works there who would have done a great job.

Xanthippe
October 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
LadyGoddess - you don't need make-up to be beautiful.
You only need a smile.

I agree!

If changing the fringe will make you feel better, then do it! But don't feel like it looks hideous. I think you could pull it off as is! :)

Elphie
October 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
StephanieB, that was a fabulous post.

I have "sideswept fringe" and they certainly don't look like those photos, I'd have to coat them with spray if I wanted them to look like that for more than five minutes. Parting your hair properly does help. If I want my bangs to go to the right, I angle a small part over my left eye. It's a little further than you might expect it to be.

Dolly
October 29th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I agree with StephanieB. You should go back to the salon......don't be mean or rude....you can be very polite while doing this. Just explain that you are not happy, why you are not happy, and ask them to fix it.

I have had to return to stylists before, and if you explain your dis-satisfaction and WHY, they are normally more than willing to try to fix the problem.

spidermom
October 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Thank you StephanieB; very wise post. I came back with suggestions, and you covered them all.

MandaMom2Three
October 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM
You said that you'd once before had about a foot of hair length cut off,a nd you walked out without saying anything tah time, too. Did you also pay, then? Did you stew about it? That's unhealthy and you deserve better treatment from yourself. :)

Actually I think that was me who said that :o (though maybe she did too and I just didn't see). I DID just smile and then cry after, my hubby told me the same thing you just did too :p. I got over it (mostly :rolleyes:) pretty quick, and I definitely recognize that I had a part in it. I should have paid more attention when she was cutting! I had a colour done at the same time (asked for dark brown and got black :p but it did eventually fade to somewhat close to the colour I was looking for) and she didn't seem to know what she was doing every time another stylist walked by they had to stop and correct her in something! I should have said something but didn't. I too had brought pictures that weren't even looked at, but again, I didn't say anyting. I should have spoken up and I didn't, that was MY bad. I've actually gotten much better at that since then (not maybe as assertive as I should be at times, but better :D).

Um Enis
October 29th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I also had very fine and straight hair (before kids toughened me and my hair up a bit--but that's another story) and I agree with stephanieb that the pics you took take styling, etc. However, I was able to get somewhere in between that and what you have now with a few tricks. Sticking my bangs up in an alfalfa style ponytail with a very soft (cloth only) scrunchie gave them some body as did using hair friendly clips in various positions. I've never tried it, but some people have luck with aloe as a setting and thickening gel. These are just things to consider if you do or don't get them redone.

StephanieB
October 29th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Actually I think that was me who said that :o (though maybe she did too and I just didn't see). I DID just smile and then cry after, my hubby told me the same thing you just did too :p. I got over it (mostly :rolleyes:) pretty quick, and I definitely recognize that I had a part in it. I should have paid more attention when she was cutting! I had a colour done at the same time (asked for dark brown and got black :p but it did eventually fade to somewhat close to the colour I was looking for) and she didn't seem to know what she was doing every time another stylist walked by they had to stop and correct her in something! I should have said something but didn't. I too had brought pictures that weren't even looked at, but again, I didn't say anyting. I should have spoken up and I didn't, that was MY bad. I've actually gotten much better at that since then (not maybe as assertive as I should be at times, but better :D).

Nope.

I'm QUITE certain of what I read and wrote. ;)

I'm not perfect - but I have worked for pay as a proof-reader.

LadyGoddess said --->

I'm waaaay too polite for that sort of thing. I just paid and left quickly as possible. Kinda like how I didn't say a peep when this stylist lied and hacked off too much of my hair (not sure how three inches translated to twelve inches).

I'm going back to the review site and giving an accurate review though.

I boldened the text for emphasis.

And, HOW exactly did I get to be "so wise"???

Coz I've been there, done that, and have the unwanted t-shirt. A number of times. Not only just once. Mea culpa. Guilty as charged.

I'm not labelling anyone here but myself. But I'm perfectly okay with honestly describing myself. I have NO illusions about my personality.

I had a very serious passive-aggressive problem, at one time, in my getting-ever-longer life. I learned to change that, and I liked the results.

I now have ZERO problem is speaking up for myself.
(in fact - if anything, I'm often accused of being "far too blunt" for many people's tastes *lol*)

And on the rare occasion that I stillhold my tongue when I ought to speak up -- I realize that it's my own fault, and no one else's... and I go forth from that self-understanding position, hopefully a slightly wiser battle-scarred old broad.

I am who/what I am. I like myself. I only need to please ME, ultimately.
And I'm a lot happier this way. Believe me! :D

No more soap box or analyst's couch for me tonight.

MandaMom2Three
October 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I meant no disrespect Stephanie. I just didn't realize we had BOTH had such a similar experience with said cutting.

ladyshannonanne
October 29th, 2008, 08:05 PM
If you want to try to fix it yourself, comb them all to the front, then pull them to the OPPOSITE side where you will wear them, holding the length flat between your fingers. (In other words, if you wear your bangs swept to the left, pull them off to the right.) Then trim them ever so slightly so the length is even when they are held that way. When you push them back to the left, they will be slanted in that direction in proportion to your face. Does that make any sense? It's a lot less confusing than I'm making it sound. Anyways, this is what my stylist did to give me side swept bangs and it worked perfectly.

Also, I'm going to be really frank . . . the photos you brought in show girls with styled, blow dried hair. From your photo, it doesn't seem like you round brush dried them. To get your bangs to look the way they do in the celeb pictures, you're going to have to smooth them into place using a blow dryer and a round brush. (You don't have to blow dry your whole head, though!)

Good luck. I think you look really good with bangs.

fleurdelis
October 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Cheer up ;)
I mean, I understand it is a pretty big dissapointement for you, but it really does not look too bad and..bangs grow quick :)
I had similar experience about year and a half ago, but it was not only my bangs, but my whole hair. As result, I got fed up, founf LHC, decided to grow my hair and now I have waaaaaay more beautuful and long then before.

Good luck

manderly
October 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the shoutout Finoriel! :waving:

I would just fix them myself. They just look like they're a tad bit long, and unstyled.

I just did my own bangs the other day per the thread Finoriel linked to. You've got it easy, as you already have a chunk of hair to start with (I had to figure out what hair to use!).

Just comb it in front, and trim across a little at a time. I went with sideswept bangs, so I held my scissors down at an angle from my eye to ear and trimmed down to make them angular. I kept doing that until I reached the length I wanted. I then held the scissors straight up and down and cut into the bangs to break them up so they didn't have a straight, clean edge.

My bangs require styling. I have to blowdry them with a round brush then I dab a little of Fructis' Surf Hair paste into them to give them a little bit of hold (otherwise they're kind of fluffy and all over the place).

Hope that helps. :)

TheSpottedCow
October 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I googled and found the exact video that you were talking about with the whole instructions on how to cut... and since I wanted sideswept bangs, I just went downstairs and cut them myself, according to the video exactally and it worked perfect. Mine look just like Ashley Olsen's in the picture...

That said, I have to blowdry and spray them to make them stay, and I totally accept that I will have to do that like everyday now...

Try doing what the video said... and parting it very far on the side. I made it in line with the high arch of my eyebrow, which seems to be what the pictures and video use as a marker... And I ended up pulling more hair forward than I thought I would.

But yeah, if you don't want to go back to the salon try fixing them yourself, the videos advice works perfectly.

Amara
October 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Also, a deeper side part might help you get more of the look you want (try it with the bangs you have)

StephanieB
October 30th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I meant no disrespect Stephanie. I just didn't realize we had BOTH had such a similar experience with said cutting.
MandaMom - I didn't think you did. ;)

Just pointing out that more of us than we think/realize have had the exact same experience.

Dunno why that is... guess it's just a common problem. We all are exposed to these images that are mere lies. But don't get me started on that or we'll all be here for another 77 pages. lol

Actaully, MandaMom, I'd wager that if we started a poll asking "Ever lose 12 inches to an alleged 3-inch trim/cut?" that the "yes" answer would be a very large number of us.

StephanieB
October 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
LadyGoddess, I hope you come back and read all the good advice you got here. :)

You don't need to reply, if you'd rather not... just lurk and read... and be happy that you look nice even just as your pic shows. :)

jojo
October 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM
me too......moving on anyway I also suggest going back to the hair stylist and insisting they rectify it, though to be perfectly honest I don't think they look too bad. I used to always cut my own when I had them and it is incredibly easy, though I used to be a just below my eyebrow fringe, so maybe the hairdressers is the best options.

MandaMom2Three
October 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM
MandaMom - I didn't think you did. ;)

Ok, phew! :p

Actaully, MandaMom, I'd wager that if we started a poll asking "Ever lose 12 inches to an alleged 3-inch trim/cut?" that the "yes" answer would be a very large number of us.

Maybe we should all start carrying tape measures in our purses :D

Darkhorse1
October 30th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I urge you NOT to correct it yourself.
Keep in mind, what looks good on a celebrity may not work for your hair. I think your bangs look nice, but it's obviously not what you wanted.

Find another hair dresser and speak to them first--no cut. Any place that wants your business will sit down with you, feel your hair, look at the style and let you know if it will work for you. If they don't even look at the photos you have, walk away. Not a place you want to do business with.

Hugs to you.

Darkhorse1
October 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Ps---yep, had midlength hair, went for a 'trim', got shoulder length hair. Was devistated and refused to go back to a hair dresser for years.

dawnsy
October 31st, 2008, 11:57 AM
My stylist knows better than to cut a lot of my hair off. I have been going to him long enough that he knows I will have a royal fit if he does. If I ask him about a certain cut he will let me know how much he would have to cut to get the look because he knows how I am about my hair and it's length.
Communication between the client and hair stylist is the best thing to avoid such things as this. When you go to get a hair cut though it's hard to know what you need done to your hair to get a certain look if you aren't a cosmetologist. Any good cosmetologist will tell you that they have to cut a certain amount of hair off for you to obtain the look. But then it's important as a client to let them know how much you like the length of your hair and you want as little hair cut as possible.

dawnsy
October 31st, 2008, 12:05 PM
Ladygoddess
I looked at your pics. In the pic of you it looks like you don't have that many bangs cut. In the other pics I notice the women have layers in their hair. It looks just fine to me but maybe you would be happier if they cut more of your hair for bangs. Also you seem to need it cut in a slant to gradually go to the side. It wouldn't be that hard to fix. If you go to someone to fix it and you like the length of your bangs make sure they understand that you don't want any length cut off you just want them cut in a slant gradually to the rest of your hair.

StephanieB
October 31st, 2008, 12:29 PM
My stylist knows better than to cut a lot of my hair off. I have been going to him long enough that he knows I will have a royal fit if he does. If I ask him about a certain cut he will let me know how much he would have to cut to get the look because he knows how I am about my hair and it's length.

Communication between the client and hair stylist is the best thing to avoid such things as this. When you go to get a hair cut though it's hard to know what you need done to your hair to get a certain look if you aren't a cosmetologist. Any good cosmetologist will tell you that they have to cut a certain amount of hair off for you to obtain the look. But then it's important as a client to let them know how much you like the length of your hair and you want as little hair cut as possible.
You, Dawnsy, have Keeper! :cheese:

I urge you NOT to correct it yourself.
Keep in mind, what looks good on a celebrity may not work for your hair. I think your bangs look nice, but it's obviously not what you wanted.
I think, after mulling this over in my mind, that I have to agree with DarkHorse1: Don't DIY. Get a professional to do it.

Find another hair dresser and speak to them first--no cut. Any place that wants your business will sit down with you, feel your hair, look at the style and let you know if it will work for you. If they don't even look at the photos you have, walk away. Not a place you want to do business with.
I only partly agree. Read on.

First - Go back to the salon that did your bangs. Talk to the owner, or at least the manager there. I know you don't want to see them again... but I think it's important FOR YOU, for a few reasons:
1) So you can speak up and say what you think about the service you received there, especially since you already paid your hard-earned money there, and
2) So you can face these people and speak out for yourself; you need to do this for catharsis AND for practice in standing up for yourslef, and
3) So you can get more of what you want your bangs to look like without paying even more money, since you already paid your hard-earned money right there

But, LadyGoddess - this is VERY IMPORTANT!!
If they ---
do not look closely at the photos that you bring back with you
and/or
do not listen to you closely, one-on-one, with no other distractions to their attention
and/or
do not tell you - ahead of time, before you even sit in a stylist's chair (unless that's where this salon normally does it's consultations) - what they are going to do and why
then do not let them TOUCH you, get up, walk out, and leave. And, at that point, you also ought to leave a well-documented and concise review online. (more about that in a moment)

If that ^ happens - then find another salon to "fix" your bangs.

And if the worst happens at the original salon, leave before you let them put a finger on a single hair left in your head, honey!!

In such an event, I will personally help you (on the boards or via PM, or both) to write a stu-freaxin'-pendous review that will leave no doubt as to what your opinion of their services actually is... and exactly why - with full specifics.

I'm betting that I'm not the only one here who will help you write that review... but even if no one else offers - I am publicly offering my services, complete with my voluminous vocabulary, my penchant for writing tect that grabs one's eye and mind's eye, my good written comm skills, and I'll get hubby and/or my uncle (both are professional editors) to proof-read it, before you post/publish your review. (I'll even get hubby to trot out -down from it's highest shelf - my OED for this occasion. ;))

If you feel the need to write a review for this salon - it will be their single most grabbing unforgettable review ever received. That's my promise to you, honey, whether it's a good review or a bad one. Okay?
I haven't made anyone a promise like this for many years. :ponder:

I guess I'm just sick and tired of so many stylists at so many salons doing this sort of thing. :steam:

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 01:24 PM

My problem when I was young was always my parents. I would say "just a trim" and they would whisper to the staff "cut off a foot". Grrrrr.

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Maybe we should all start carrying tape measures in our purses :D

I have a little purse-sized tape measure. :)

sedonia
November 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Those swept to the side bangs in your reference pics are not wash and wear styles. They take alot of product and widgeting, and simply don't work on some heads. I would say the stylist's mistake was in not telling you that, not how she cut your bangs.

dawnsy
November 5th, 2008, 10:10 AM
lol...Ladylilya...that was really funny!

spidermom
November 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
So LadyGoddess, how's it going with those super-cute bangs?

dawnsy
November 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
You, Dawnsy, have Keeper!

Yes I do. My son told him what a drama queen I am about my hair and the length of it...haha He does tip toe lightly when it comes to cutting my hair. He don't want to have to face my wrath Grrrrr joke
Of course my son went a little over board when he described the drama over my hair. He scared the poor guy to death...lol. But I do love my hair long and have had some bad experiences where they cut several inches off. When I pay for something I think I should have what I paid for. I don't want to pay someone to cut all my hair off. Talk about a double whammy! Not only did they cut all your hair off but you had to pay for them to cut it all off after trying to grow it for a million years.

Themyst
November 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
See most of the hairstylists never told me that I couldn't achieve the look I kept clipping pix of and showing them because (1) my ahir was so baby-fine and thin, and (2) those women do not always look like that - they're fixed and fixed and fixed by sytlists right before pix are taken, and touched-up in between shots, and the never go around maintaining that look anywhere outside of the photography stuido. I kept showing pix of people like Farrah Fawcett and Lady Diana Spencer (before she became Princess Di) -- when, in reality, I had hair that was more like Raggety Ann. LOL

First, I'd like to thank whoever it was for bumping this thread up - it's why I caught it.

I've been struggling with the idea of getting some kind of style to my hair but now have been reminded of the horrors that go on in a 'beauty' shop. I don't think I'll do it again.

I have always clipped & brought in pictures of hairstyles and have experienced the same as StephanieB quoted above. All the hairdressers indicate they can give me 'that' haircut - although it never looks remotely like what I showed them - it always comes out looking more like the hairdresser's creation or own rendition of the picture.

I have never received the haircut that I expected. And like the OP, I was always too polite to say anything. Unfortunately for me, my hair was always cut too short - so why say anything at all? There is no fix for that.

Happily for the OP though, it did look like her bangs were cut too long, so perhaps it is fixable. But I did see the difference between the pic she showed and the haircut she received.

Maybe I am a little slow to catch on sometimes because I still really don't understand how this happens.

Lady Lilya
November 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM
lol...Ladylilya...that was really funny!

I'm looking for what I said that was funny, but I can't figure it out. But I am glad I brought some enjoyment to someone. :)