PDA

View Full Version : Is this good scissors or not good scissors?

CreatureBailey
January 11th, 2018, 01:28 AM
So I recieved new shears and did a final clean micro trim for the year.

My friend says they seem like good scissors because when you close them you have to apply strength to close them up? Like the blades force together? Like you can't just quickly open and close them up it kinda forces.

He says that it means it's gonna do really sharp cuts. Because of that though I've had trouble making my cut even but I've made it. :) I'm wondering if those will be good or if I should still search for excellent scissors with who I'm sure to not just keep getting more split ends as I S&D with

GalaMoon
January 11th, 2018, 02:27 AM
I thought this might help you
https://www.shiroshears.com/hair-shears-how-to-guide/

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 05:24 AM
So I recieved new shears and did a final clean micro trim for the year.

My friend says they seem like good scissors because when you close them you have to apply strength to close them up? Like the blades force together? Like you can't just quickly open and close them up it kinda forces.

He says that it means it's gonna do really sharp cuts. Because of that though I've had trouble making my cut even but I've made it. :) I'm wondering if those will be good or if I should still search for excellent scissors with who I'm sure to not just keep getting more split ends as I S&D with

That seems like such a myth to me. Shears are supposed to close easily, if you have to force it, it's no good. It doesn't say anything about the sharpness but about the closing mechanism (screw in the middle). You might need to oil them.

I'd save up my coins for a good pair. The Mane Choice ones aren't bad if you're in the US. Otherwise go to a beauty supply store and ask for entry level Japanese steel shears. You should be able to get some for about 50 euro. I don't know if the brand "Ultron" is sold in Canada, but that's the brand I have. I have had these for 10+ years and haven't had to sharpen them once. They get used maybe 3 to 4 times a year by my mom, hardly cause for having them sharpened after all that time.

CreatureBailey
January 11th, 2018, 08:44 AM
That seems like such a myth to me. Shears are supposed to close easily, if you have to force it, it's no good. It doesn't say anything about the sharpness but about the closing mechanism (screw in the middle). You might need to oil them.

I'd save up my coins for a good pair. The Mane Choice ones aren't bad if you're in the US. Otherwise go to a beauty supply store and ask for entry level Japanese steel shears. You should be able to get some for about 50 euro. I don't know if the brand "Ultron" is sold in Canada, but that's the brand I have. I have had these for 10+ years and haven't had to sharpen them once. They get used maybe 3 to 4 times a year by my mom, hardly cause for having them sharpened after all that time.

Would I be able to get it online? The Ultron?

Also omg you have a pic in your signature now!! :D

CreatureBailey
January 11th, 2018, 08:48 AM
I thought this might help you
https://www.shiroshears.com/hair-shears-how-to-guide/

That's interesting! I wonder where people sharpen the blades though? Or how? Is it the same as sharpening ice skating blades?

Kat
January 11th, 2018, 09:12 AM
That's interesting! I wonder where people sharpen the blades though? Or how? Is it the same as sharpening ice skating blades?

Probably at any place that also sharpens knives (which might also be hard to find). But maybe a salon could give you an idea.

Not the same as sharpening skate blades (http://www.sharpeningsolutions.com/Skate%20Sharpening%20Information.htm#_How_is_a) at all. I don't know about hockey or speed blades, but figure skate blades are actually concave shaped (http://www.sharpeningsolutions.com/Skate%20Sharpening%20Information.htm#_What_is_the) , with different skaters preferring different angles for various reasons.

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Would I be able to get it online? The Ultron?

Also omg you have a pic in your signature now!! :D

I don't think so, CreatureBailey. The Dutch store I bought them at doesn't ship abroad, I don't think. But the Mane Choice ones are sold in the US and they might be more obtainable to you.

Yes I do, thank you so much. :flower: