PDA

View Full Version : To chop or not to chop?

Magalo
January 10th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Haven't posted here in a long time!!

I still want longer hair, but I have been maintening at this length for what... maybe 3 years? I'm now trying to grow out my color, which is about mid neck now. I don't think I can get a thicker hemline than this with my bleach damaged hair. I'm getting so tired of this length.

I've been craving a lob... long bob below the shoulder, blunt cut, a new clean slate. And the last time my hair was this short I was maybe 10 years old!! I'm going on 25!!

To chop or not to chop? What would you do? Any other length you would cut to?

https://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_482314IMG20180110155049.jpg (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=482314IMG20180110155049.jpg)

PixieP
January 10th, 2018, 02:05 PM
I can't see your picture, photobucket has changed things, so free accounts aren't allowed forum linking anymore :/

Some people here think cutting of anything is the worst thing ever. Personally, I think that hair will grow out again, and hanging onto length just because it's long when you really want something else is silly. There are several users here who's cut their hair short (anje, spidermom, kittybird are the ones I can remember at the top of my head) and realize they prefer it that way. And there are others who want to grow out like you do and cut away the damage (wispe did it very recently). I would do what you want to do! You can always grow it out again :)

Magalo
January 10th, 2018, 02:07 PM
Sorry, I think I fixed it!! Wow it's getting so hard to host images for free, what a pain.

Thank you for you input. I'll try to lookout the original posts when they cut their hair. I remember when spidermom did it, but not the others!

PixieP
January 10th, 2018, 02:17 PM
There is a thread here in the mane forum for those maintaining at a shorter length, a lot of them has posted pictures there! :)

Edit: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140883

Sterlyn
January 10th, 2018, 02:17 PM
I think it depends on how attached you are to the length. I cut my hair in Nov of 2016 from hip to CB due to damage/breakage. I hated how short my hair was, missed the length and still do.

If your feeling ready for a change and wanting to try shorter hair, go for it :). It'll kill 2 birds with one stone, damage gone and a new look. You might find you love it. Wasn't the case for me but everyone is different.

Cg
January 10th, 2018, 02:49 PM
If you're tired of this length and crave something shorter, do it. The whole point of any personal choice you make is to satisfy yourself. As Pixie said, it can always grow back.

The typical advice on this forum is to shorten incrementally until you're sure you like the new length. I think that's sensible for people who aren't sure what they want.

An old adage says when a woman changes her hair, she changes her life. Your clean slate comment sounds like this adage is for you.

Kiiruna
January 10th, 2018, 03:14 PM
You don't need to chop it all at once. You could go to, let's say waist at first and see how it feels.

Groovy Granny
January 10th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Go with your gut...if this is on your mind daily than it may be the best thing for you to do.

It will take a while micro trimming away damage....or you may go for a few bigger snips to cut time.

If unsure you can snip a little at a time....if very sure then do it!

When I was growing out layers I micro trimmed for a year and then grew impatient and snipped a few final inches; losing some length but gaining quality and peace.

Some who have cut here are happy...others not so much; I see others waver from month to month (happy to frustrated); shorter hair can be a challenge for styling and care.

When I was your length a stylist ruined my hair and I had to have another salon cut it back to shoulders to get rid of the damage, and color me close to my natural color.

I was thrilled and stayed short for another 10 years, then decided to grow out long again because I was not happy with how my hair handled being short and silver.

Your pic looks nice, but you see and feel it like we cannot.....so good luck deciding....we are with you either way :cheer:

Chromis
January 10th, 2018, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't, but I am not you. Your proposed length would be hard to put up, so you will still get damage on those ends anyhow. I would wait at least until it has grown out to a length you can still easily bun. I also hate, hate, hate having hair in my face though! I have also really super not liked my hair any time it was shorter than BSL. It looks awful and does not behave for me. I also don't really understand being bored with my hair. There are always new updos try out!

Again, that is for me, but you did ask. In the end, you do you.

Dewdrop
January 10th, 2018, 03:39 PM
I chopped due to henna, and I really regretted it. I couldn't wear my hair the way I wanted, and I got so lazy on haircare that now that it's longer again, the quality's really gone backwards. I mean, that's only my advice! but I reaaallyyyyyy regret it. I should've accepted the color difference.

lapushka
January 10th, 2018, 04:04 PM
I agree with Chromis. I wouldn't do it either. It's pretty drastic and you may not like it one bit. That is why I would cut back one milestone at a time, see how you like the new length (grow back out, or cut more). That is the *smartest* way to go about it, trust me. What you cut off in one fell swoop you can't just get back!

lucid
January 10th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Your hair looks nice! I would cut back to waist first, that may very well make your hair feel amazing. And you can always cut more later. This is a safe approach, especially if what you really want is long hair.

But, if you actually want a shorter cut, and it's not just because you want to get rid of damage, then go for it. Sometimes change is needed, and a fresh start can be really beneficial :)

Xan
January 10th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I agree with Chromis do a four to five stage over some time (3/5") a shot so you don't lose too much at once. Just my opinion you are at a nice length, or go with the two week rule if you are hell bent on chopping. :)

Arciela
January 10th, 2018, 05:51 PM
I agree with Chromis. I wouldn't do it either. It's pretty drastic and you may not like it one bit. That is why I would cut back one milestone at a time, see how you like the new length (grow back out, or cut more). That is the *smartest* way to go about it, trust me. What you cut off in one fell swoop you can't just get back!

I second this. Recently cut back from classic to TBL and I do miss the length..I am glad that is all I cut! Now all I have to do is wait for it to reach classic again and dust my ends now and then.

Jo Ann
January 10th, 2018, 07:57 PM
I'm with the "Do It In Stages" crowd, Magalo. Inches at a time (like Xan suggested--3" or so at a time), which will give you a chance to get rid of the worst of your damage and give you a chance to work with the shorter length. If you're still wanting to go shorter, give it a few months before you take off another 3" or so--you'll be ahead on healthier hair and you'll be accustomed to the shorter length.

If you do go in to have it shortened, make NO mention of the part that's grown in over the last year or so--you might end up with a chop whether you want it or not!

Dark40
January 10th, 2018, 08:32 PM
I don't think you need to go through the big chop. Maybe do micro-trims and see how that works out. I always trim off a little at a time. That always helps my hair to grow a lot faster or better.

Deborah
January 10th, 2018, 09:31 PM
If you have been "craving a lob" and also want to get rid of dyed hair, probably that is exactly what you should do. Will you still be able to put your hair up in a bun or twist if you want to? That would be my only consideration. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Stray_mind
January 11th, 2018, 12:19 AM
If i was in your place Now (i Was ), i would not do a big chop, but trim away the dye bit by bit.

But if you are tired of your length and want to switch things up, then cutting off the damaged, dyed hair is a gteat time to do it.

Hair grows back, but the question is if you are patient enough to wait it out later.

Give it two weeks and then cut. :)

yahirwaO.o
January 11th, 2018, 12:19 AM
Well I made a huge chop because I was in a bad accident, still it felt right to just let it go for a moment and move on to something else.

If you''ve been thinking about it so much and you think getting some inches is going to feel good then by all means do it.

Currently I have a a shoulder length bob longer at the front and it is a very nice style and feel like a can do things typically one with long hair with the benefit of feeling like short haired person.( canīt say the same thing for super short pixie :P) Im craving now for more lenght but again: this feels right to me now and itd growing back to where I initially cut anyways

Sometimes being extremely attached to things we like and love end up doing more harm than good when over obsessing about them. ITs upto you

Personally I like the way it is right now or cutting sometimes to mid back would feel extremely nice and overall healthy!really beautiful hair! :)

victorian girl
January 11th, 2018, 12:34 AM
I would cut, but only to the waist. Looks like it would make your hemline a bit thicker, so maybe you'd be happy with that. I wouldn't go further than APL or BSL - I did it recently, and it was a big mistake: no braids, no updos, not even ponytails (well, they don't look nice anyways). And it gets in your face all the time. If you want to continue grow your hair, you'd save yourself around a half a year or a year of inconvenience.

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 05:29 AM
I would cut, but only to the waist. Looks like it would make your hemline a bit thicker, so maybe you'd be happy with that. I wouldn't go further than APL or BSL - I did it recently, and it was a big mistake: no braids, no updos, not even ponytails (well, they don't look nice anyways). And it gets in your face all the time. If you want to continue grow your hair, you'd save yourself around a half a year or a year of inconvenience.

Yes, good point! Consider your lifestyle and the updos you might need to be able to do as well. With a lob you sometimes can't even make a decent ponytail and... well, it gets difficult when you want to grow it back out to get past such an awkward stage as well.

alimc
January 11th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Some of us cut our hair short and love it, others regret it horribly within weeks (me, i cried!). Maybe writing down what you love most about having long hair, then laying it side by side with your reasons for cutting short may give you some clarity?

From personal experience short hair can be more difficult to look after, mine didn’t hang well without heat styling, it can be more tricky to secure in up-dos, there’s the loss of the swooshy comforting feeling of having a hairy blanket/scarf on hand... HOWEVER thats was just my experience, and it takes YEARS to grow back. Sniff.

Anyhoos, sorry for the drivel, i agree with cutting it in increments to start with :blossom:

draysmir
January 11th, 2018, 05:53 AM
Haven't posted here in a long time!!

I still want longer hair, but I have been maintening at this length for what... maybe 3 years? I'm now trying to grow out my color, which is about mid neck now. I don't think I can get a thicker hemline than this with my bleach damaged hair. I'm getting so tired of this length.

I've been craving a lob... long bob below the shoulder, blunt cut, a new clean slate. And the last time my hair was this short I was maybe 10 years old!! I'm going on 25!!

To chop or not to chop? What would you do? Any other length you would cut to?

https://img15.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_482314IMG20180110155049.jpg (https://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=482314IMG20180110155049.jpg)

I think that you should not necessarily do a big chop, but at least take a few inches off. You sound like you still want longer hair, and chopping back to around shoulder length will take a few years to grow back to your current length, so I personally would not do that. If you are one of those people who are good at benign neglect then maybe chopping to a lob would be a good idea. :) It sounds like you are bored with your hair (which I can understand, three years at the same length), so I would cut back a few inches so you will be able to experience a new length and have healthier hair, but it won't take you as long to grow back if you miss the length too much. Maybe try cutting back to waist length first, and if you don't happen to be missing the length after a bit, then you could cut back further to APL or SL (and maybe by this point your natural colour would have grown long enough to completely cut off all the dye).

This is my personal opinion, I think your hair will look lovely no matter what you do :)

wispe
January 11th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Having just gone for a big chop from hip to barely shoulder (to cut out bleach damage and start fresh), I'd say: if you care about being able to wear it up, definitely go in increments: probably back to waist, then back to bsl, then shoulder if you're still itching to go short. I myself was just really fed up with how much work it was to care for really damaged ends, and ended up going for a shorter cut all at once. I don't really regret it, but I did trade one frustration for another, since I actually really like to wear my hair up and now I'm having a harder time of it with my currently too-short hair. But it was definitely relieving to be rid of so much damage all at once. I'd definitely rather have long hair (I cut with the intention to immediately begin growing it back out), but if you're craving that short style and aren't that fussed about updos, you may be happier just to go for it all at once.

Just something to think about! I think whatever you decide to do will turn out lovely.

Pumpkin3826
January 11th, 2018, 08:19 AM
I think that you should do what your heart wants. I say if you catch your self thinking "I want a lob" every day for about a week or two then you should do it. Don't waste time thinking about "What if I hate it?" or "What if I miss my hair?" Instead think about "I am going to love this!" Or "My hair is going to be so healthy!". I tried to grow my hair out when I was dying my hair constantly and it was just so damaged. I had been coloring it bright red for years and then decide to cover it up with black box dye.. big mistake. I ended up deciding to make the big chop. At this point my hair was about waist length and black, I went and got it chopped off to shoulder length.. I had been wanting the inverted bob for so long but was to chicken. I would say within about a month of chopping to shoulder length I went back and got it taking up to an inverted bob, because I realized cutting my hair was not a s scary as I built it up to be. I decided to go for what I deeply wanted and not just settling for shoulder length. I was so so happy with the inverted bob I kept it for 2 years!!! During the 2 years I was able to grow out all the damaged black box dye color and start fresh! The journey of re-growing out my hair was not a pain because I learned to appreciate every step of the way, and to celebrate the small victories. I love how short and spunky a pony tail was while it was growing out and just how healthy my hair was overall. You probably know so much more now then you did when you started growing your hair, so I say take the plunge if you want to, and go for the lob, don't settle for another length because you think you might be to scared to go all the way. You are stronger then you think! :o

Vegan_Mama
January 12th, 2018, 05:21 PM
First of all, your hair is beautiful!! I love it :) secondly, I agree with what many others have said. Maybe try cutting on a couple inches first to see how it feels. I say this because it sounds like you are still attached the the length but just wanting to get rid of the colour. I began the same process in July 2016. I had been bleaching my hair and decided I wanted to go natural. I died it back to my original colour and then left it alone for a while but it was so dry. I ended up chopping a bunch of it off in April 2017 to about shoulder length and again in July 2017. I don't regret it because it was dry but I was still so sad to lose the length. I didn't want to cut my hair though. If you want to change it because you like the idea of a shorter style then I say go for it! Maybe give it a month to think it over and decide if you really want it. If at the end of the month you still love the idea of the long bob then do it! It will grow back eventually anyway!

Xan
January 12th, 2018, 09:36 PM
If I were you I would go small bites at a time I cut 12" four years ago, if I didn't I would be at knee now. Don't rush the big chop is all I'm saying.
'

'
'

ccelaya
January 12th, 2018, 10:00 PM
I would take it to your waist if I were you. See how you like it for a month at that length. There is also Olaplex Treatments that you can buy to help with the repair. You can do a stand alone treatment. Look into that if you want. I did it and I had to cut a good amount but I did it over time. I did two treatments and have been pretty consistent with overnight oiling. My hair is showing some great improvement. I chopped my hair off to above my ears when I was a kid and I was devastated. But that is just me. I really like long hair on myself. I think once you get it to a healthier state you will be happier. Good Luck :)

Waveurly
January 13th, 2018, 07:37 AM
I had bleached hair and decided to cut it off a bit more as a year ago and thought something like 'it will grow back'. It will, but it does take a lot of time. Going from your length to a lob is a really drastic change, to get back to the same length, will take you some years, depending on your growth rate.
So you'd really really have to love having a lob and all the stages that come after the lob, in order to make that decision I think. It's much safer to cut a little bit less off each time, if it were for me, looking back, I would have preferred just cutting off two inches and then cutting off the new growth every month. And then if it takes too long, you can always cut off a little bit more.
It's so easy to cut, but the grow out takes so much time. I'm still sad that it takes so long and can barely make a ponytail now while I used to have long hair that I was happy with.
Like everyone else said, cut in stages and don't do something too drastic is what I'd recommend. You can always cut more, but you can't glue your hair back on. Many people grow 0.5 inch in a month, some an inch or 1,5 inch even. But still. 3 inches would take half a year for some people and 3 months for others, to grow back.

Sorry that this is such a long response, but I have been in your position more or less and just want to warn you to not do anything you might regret :)

2gaits
January 13th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Looking at the picture you posted your hair is quite long. I think you could cut back to waist and be very happy with it. Ends will look and feel great and really it would get rid of the worst damage that you are babying. I've had everything from a pixie to bsl length and I liked most but it is tough to grow from lob out for some reason. I would see how you feel with it waist length for awhile first. You can always go shorter later if you still really want to.