PDA

View Full Version : Do you still see a hairdresser?

acanofyams
January 10th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Are you guys loyal to a stylist, see someone new if you go to a salon or do you do all your hair care needs at home?
Just curious :confused:

lapushka
January 10th, 2018, 11:09 AM
I'm strictly an at home trimmer (if and when I trim). I haven't trimmed since November 2016. I am on the no trim challenges on here, did the one for 2017 and am now doing the 2018 one.

My mom is an at home trimmer as well. Every 3 to 4 months she snips a bit off. Easy peasy. She has a long bob (shoulder to APL).

Only my dad goes to the barber regularly. My mom wanted at one point to try and do it, but my dad wants to go to the barber instead because he doesn't trust it. :lol:

kittengirl
January 10th, 2018, 11:25 AM
I go to the salon ONLY because I have this one lady I trust and love what she does. I just went in for a trim 2 days ago actually after not being in since last April. She listens to me and does exactly what I want. I started going to her because she cuts the hair of my small son who has special needs so we really liked her. I got a half inch off and feel fresh lol! I also have some very slight layers so she does those as well. That being said, I have severe social anxiety and hate going to the hairdresser in general, and if I ever don't have this lady anymore I will probably consider doing it myself like I used to.

Groovy Granny
January 10th, 2018, 11:30 AM
I have not stepped into a salon since january 2013 when I decided to grow my hair long.

LHC helped me grow out my chin length layers until it was long enough so I could trim it myself...also with their teaching and support.

Now I do my own micro trims monthly to dust racers, and maintain/shape my hemline with quarterly snips at season changes.

I use a combo of feye's and under the chin ponytail methods to shape a deep U; with a small creaclip to be sure it is even.

lottiealice
January 10th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Only for my fringe as it's cheap and I trust the ladies in the salon I go to (only three people work there, it's tiny). When it comes to the rest of my hair, I S&D at home.

shaluwm_agape
January 10th, 2018, 12:03 PM
No i trust 2 people to cut my hair my babe and my pops and on the rare occassion my mom

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 10th, 2018, 12:50 PM
I havent been to a salon since 2014-2015. I do the trimming myself now.
Bangs and all. I dont color, and stylists refuse to use or learn about henna or indigo so even if I wanted to go to a salon, they wouldnt do what i ask.

Dewdrop
January 10th, 2018, 12:57 PM
No, not anymore. I had this one girl work in a barbershop who would so gently brush it, wash it, and cut exactly how I wanted, and she got twins and stopped working (I mean, I'm happy for her, don't get me wrong. Twins!) but now I just do it myself, however, I haven't trimmed since august 2016 except for the odd S&D!

Fimu
January 10th, 2018, 01:08 PM
I do it myself. I use Feye's method to maintain my hemline, but it doesn't have to be that perfect because I have curly hair.

luvlonghair75
January 10th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Never have, never will. I simply do not trust anyone else with a sharp object near my hair. Unless, it's hubby. I tell him how much and where and he's pretty darn accurate. And free of charge! lol

Sarahlabyrinth
January 10th, 2018, 01:17 PM
I do mine myself, it's hard to find a trustworthy hairdresser. Anyway, it's free! :D

Aredhel
January 10th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I do mine myself too. The last time I saw a hairdresser was 3 or 4 years ago when I got a balayage and a layered cut... after the amount of damage my poor hair suffered from all of that (and $300 later...............), I decided I would never visit a salon again. Not while I'm trying to grow my hair anyway. ;)

Arciela
January 10th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Nope! Only MIL and DH cut it :flower: Last time I went to one in 2016 (and I hesitated!) they cut my bangs so thick that literally "half" of the front of my hair is short...currently growing it out and it looks so silly, oh well lesson learned!

RedStripe
January 10th, 2018, 01:46 PM
I haven't been to a salon in several years (don't remember when the last time was). I've been thinking about having some layers done, but I would want to find a stylist who specializes in long hair -- not sure how to go about finding a good one.

embee
January 10th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Have not been in a salon since the early 1990s. I wonder how much money I did not spend. :)

Cg
January 10th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I haven't been to a salon since I began to grow mine out, late 2012 or early 2013. My husband trimmed for me until I could easily do Feye's method alone, around hip I think.

acanofyams
January 10th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Keep em coming guys! I love hearing your stories

Hairkay
January 10th, 2018, 02:39 PM
I've never ever been to a hairdresser in my life and that is not likely to change.

hayheadsbird
January 10th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Last time was in 2015 to neaten up layers and the hairdresser suggested growing it out. I'm a bit scared of hairdressers tbh, so although I'd happily go back to her because I do trust her there's not much point cutting it when I'm trying to grow and I'm not dealing with any significant damage. S&d is all I need, I can do my own fringe, and I'm happy to self cut/trim if needed

cathair
January 10th, 2018, 03:15 PM
No. I guess it was 2010 last time I did.

gossamer
January 10th, 2018, 04:36 PM
The last time I had anything done at a hair salon was December 2008. I think the last time I had my hair trimmed by a stylist was December 2006, so no, I guess I don't see a hairdresser anymore.

Wavybrunetteuk
January 10th, 2018, 05:07 PM
I'm too scared they'll lob my hair off to my chin, so no :(

edira
January 10th, 2018, 06:58 PM
I don't go to hairstylists... I've had multiple bad experiences of hair stylists arguing with me about my hair, refusing to cut the styles I wanted and such. I even had one cut my bangs just AWFUL, because she insisted my hair was straightened and it would sit differently when it was "natural" because I told her I don't straighten my hair... I have never even owned a hair straightener and it was not straightened. So... ever since I've always cut my hair at home. Small trims, big chops, all of it is done at home.

Robi-Bird
January 10th, 2018, 07:05 PM
I go in for a trim once a year. My self trimming has never been all that successful. So I get my layers freshened up, and an inch-ish off. I haven't had any real bad luck since I started to grow my hair out, but I am very, very clear about my expectation. Ruthlessly so, honestly.

Ligeia Noire
January 10th, 2018, 07:38 PM
went a couple of times in my teenage years mostly to straighten it but that was it. I trim it at home, using Feye's method, my hemline is not close to be even but I do not care much as I have wavy hair and I do not wear it down.

(Lapushka I have noticed you added your beautiful picture to your signature! Your hair is gorgeous!)

Jo Ann
January 10th, 2018, 07:45 PM
It's been three or four years since my last *ahem!* trim, so, no.

Deborah
January 10th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Nope. I haven't seen a hairdresser for many years.

Hexen
January 10th, 2018, 10:18 PM
I see a hairdresser maybe once a year for an actual trim. And I may have her shape up my eyebrows at the time as well. I trust her because she's proven herself trustworthy, not to mention has been my friend for 25 years therefore knows me well. And among an entire group of mutual friends from school, some that I've known just as long if not longer. So I tend to see her more often out of the 'chair' actually, than in it.

yahirwaO.o
January 11th, 2018, 12:01 AM
Not having gone to the hair dressers since 2008 (Emo razor layers)!!!!

Also I was never a fan of barbers when I was young small boy and certainly I have safe a ton of cash since then. All trims, chops, blunt cuts, layers and such have been done by my hands sometimes mistakes, sometimes wins I feel extremely happy and confident on my own now!!!!!

:rolling:

Dendra
January 11th, 2018, 04:14 AM
It's been 18 months since I last went to a salon. I have never had a stylist take too much off (though this was before I cared about how much they were snipping) but it's just the expense! And also I enjoy trimming my own hair, it's fun ;)

TatsuOni
January 11th, 2018, 04:45 AM
It's been many years since I last went to a saloon and I'll never go again. I trim and dye (henna and indigo) my hair by my self.

None of the hair I have on my head now, has been touched by a hairdresser :p

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 05:17 AM
went a couple of times in my teenage years mostly to straighten it but that was it. I trim it at home, using Feye's method, my hemline is not close to be even but I do not care much as I have wavy hair and I do not wear it down.

(Lapushka I have noticed you added your beautiful picture to your signature! Your hair is gorgeous!)

Thank you Ligeia Noire! I'm hoping to get past classic this year, even though classic is my most comfortable length and beyond gets difficult for me. But you bring such inspiration for me that I am willing to give it a go!

alimc
January 11th, 2018, 06:44 AM
It’s been 21 months since i was pixied at a hairdressers. I don’t plan on going near one again!

I haven’t trimmed in that time (except a mullet even-up my friend did), and i plan on doing my own trims when i can see the end of my hair without going cross-eyed... :eye:

(Lapushka, id like to add my admiration of your beautiful locks, they must be even more gorgeous at classic... :heartbeat)

spidermom
January 11th, 2018, 07:34 AM
I enjoy the salon experience in general, so yes, I have a stylist that I see regularly. My hair is too short for me to trim myself right now, but I'm growing it out again, so I'll probably see my stylist more irregularly in the future when my hair is long enough for me to trim it myself.

Sora Rose
January 11th, 2018, 07:36 AM
I have never gone to a hairdresser in my entire life and don't plan to. My mother has always trimmed my hair for me (and exactly as I specify), so I never saw the need. I actually hesitate to let anyone anywhere near my hair, never mind with a sharp object. Although I may have a problem if/when I move away from her, because I've attempted self-trimming and just couldn't convince myself to actually cut my own hair. I ended up going and asking my mom to do it for me. :rolleyes:

MlleMC
January 11th, 2018, 07:49 AM
I only went to a hairdresser once since I started growing my hair, and that was in early 2012. My next trim (in October 2015) was done by my mother, and the next year I started trimming my own hair. Next time I see a hairdresser will probably be when I finally decide to dye my ends.

Waveurly
January 11th, 2018, 08:10 AM
The last time I went to a hairdresser was to bleach it and they also cut a big piece.. Before that I had not gone to a hairdresser for about 1,5 year and my hair had gotten much longer. Since then I've learned to self trim. I thought Feye's method is pretty great but since my hair is still short, I just kind of cut it in a ponytail in the back of my had the last time that I trimmed and eyeballed some unevenness and cut it off. Honestly I am not really interested in a perfect straight line at the moment, just long hair. After that trim, I decided not to trim for a while so that it can grow first and foremost.

Addy
January 11th, 2018, 10:08 AM
I have a dedicated stylist who owns her own salon. She has been my stylist since March of 2013. She is the only person, other than myself, who trims my hair and she knows it. She automatically knows what I need when I walk in and then she ooh's n awe's over how much its grown since the last trim. She never asks me if I'm ready to chop it off. She's probably just as excited to see how long it will grow as I am.

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 11:19 AM
It’s been 21 months since i was pixied at a hairdressers. I don’t plan on going near one again!

I haven’t trimmed in that time (except a mullet even-up my friend did), and i plan on doing my own trims when i can see the end of my hair without going cross-eyed... :eye:

(Lapushka, id like to add my admiration of your beautiful locks, they must be even more gorgeous at classic... :heartbeat)

Thank you so much. And here I was being really hesitant as to how it would go. :o

21 months is a lot of growth!

Stray_mind
January 11th, 2018, 11:20 AM
I haven't been to my hairdresser for about 5 months now, but i am planning to go back for a trim some time. She is great.

wo
January 11th, 2018, 11:36 AM
I haven't been to a salon since 2015. But I also haven't trimmed at home either. When I eventually need a trim, I'm *extremely* conflicted about what I will do lol. Personally, I think a good salon cut is always better than DIY. But a bad salon cut can be sooooo bad...

Reservechic
January 11th, 2018, 12:06 PM
I haven't had a hair dresser do my hair in over 12+ years. I never really had one that I really adored all that much. So, I've never really been loyal to any one particular hair dresser, when I was getting my hair professionally done in the past. I am now a total DIY'er and I have been doing well with taking care of my hair and it is thriving pretty well, so I haven't had any need or actual desire to go back to getting my hair done by a professional hair dresser. I do my own trims and cuts. I am no stranger to dyeing my hair. I have done so in the past a couple of times, after I stopped seeing a hair dresser. So, I have absolutely no problem with doing that, plus, I know how to take care of my hair in its naturally curly state, and I know how to get my hair bone straight (whenever I choose to flat iron it as well). Plus, I saved up and invested my money in a lot of professional appliances that are in the salons, such as a professional salon hair steamer, expensive professional cutting shears, a professional salon hair dryer, professional salon blow dryer, I own the same professional flat irons that are being used in a lot of salons today, plus more. So, there's really not a whole lot that I am missing out on at all.

Now, I can't say that I won't ever have a professional hair dresser ever do my hair again. But, where I stay, it has been very hard for me to find a stylist that knows how's to care of naturally loose textured, ethnic hair, (whether it's a Black stylist or Caucasian) I am a POC (my racial makeup is Black/African American, Creole, Caucasian, and Mexican). In the Black salons around me, they cater towards putting chemical relaxers and/or weaves, and using flatirons (for doing a whole lot of hair straightening) as well. In the White salons, where I live, their honest preference is dealing with Caucasian hair, straight up. I live in the Deep South, and when you don't have hair that is 100% anything, it's like you're left out in the cold, finding a hair stylist that truly understands your own unique God given, natural hair. So, I have definitely had to get used to dealing with such, the hard way, throughout my life.

I was sorta interested in making an appointment to go to a DevaSalon in the future, however, the closest DevaSalons near me are approximately almost an hour away from where I live at. I just don't know if I want to go through the hassle of traveling that far, having to pay for gas, meals, and the expensive prices attached with DevaSalon services every time.

So, for right now, I am much at ease with being my own personal hair dresser. And, will continue carrying along, being the mighty DIY'er that I am.

Guitargod
January 11th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I haven't been to a hairdresser for maybe 4 or 5 years. In 2016 my girlfriend trimmed my hair and did a pretty bad job. Then I came here in November last year and have trimmed my own hair twice - in November and December. Won't let anyone touch it from now on. Next trim will probably be early February.

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 02:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with doing it yourself, it can even be a nicer "cut" than at a salon! Don't ever doubt your own abilities!!!

DoomKitty
January 11th, 2018, 03:52 PM
My kids and I have gone to the same hairdresser for the last 4 years. She's brilliant and only takes off as much as needed, especially as she, DD and I are all growing our hair out so she knows that we want to keep as much length as possible. She has a similar hair type as DD and I which means she knows how our hair behaves. She even made suggestions for DS' cuts that mean it grows out perfectly. My DH goes to a barber (found a great one first try).

Katrina
January 11th, 2018, 05:53 PM
I haven't been to a salon since 2007. I trim my hair myself.

Reyn127
January 11th, 2018, 10:00 PM
I do not, I haven't been to a hairdresser in about 6 years, and only went once every 1-2 years before that. I started cutting my own hair regularly when I was about 10, so I've had a bit of practice doing it myself.

Frankenstein
January 11th, 2018, 10:32 PM
I have a hairdresser that I go to faithfully. She’s awesome and I feel lucky to have found her.

queenbee1
January 12th, 2018, 05:58 AM
I see a new one every 2 years. :D

FaerieKitty
January 12th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Like many others, no i don't. Initially it was a cost saving measure in about 2011 i think. We had no money and my hair had a bit of damaged hair still from my hair dying days so got hair scissors and did it myself. I next went in summer 2015 and hated it. So not going again. I easily did layers myself At BSL for years and now am now planning to be no trim other than an annual 1 cm trim that my husband will do for me.

*Wednesday*
January 12th, 2018, 09:40 AM
I trim my own hair and take care of my needs at home.

chomsky
January 12th, 2018, 12:01 PM
I do enjoy the hairdresser experience, but I've only found 2 stylists in my life that are nice to my hair, haha. One of them relocated and the other is at an Aveda salon, that's big bucks!

Other than that, I just ask my mum to trim my hair when she straightens it (all these years and I still can't do it myself). Don't do enough with my hair to warrant visits to the hairdresser anymore.

Ligeia Noire
January 12th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Thank you Ligeia Noire! I'm hoping to get past classic this year, even though classic is my most comfortable length and beyond gets difficult for me. But you bring such inspiration for me that I am willing to give it a go!

Oh great! If it gets too hard to manage just trim it back to classic. Either way your hair is beautiful and could very well go to floor with that hemline. Classic is a great middle ground though.

Sorry for the off topic folks.

2gaits
January 13th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I go usually every 2 to 3 months. Endless cycle because of color and cuts that need maintenance. I'm kind of tired of it but not sure I can give it up. I tried ditching color once before and caved after about four months. I think mostly because I am going to have to live with unkempt scraggly hair for about a year before I can really maintain it myself. So endless cycle. I have an appointment Monday for just a cut. Was thinking about cutting my bangs back shorter as they are currently lip length and driving me nuts. But...not sure since another inch or two and they will be out of the way. Might be my last trim for awhile if I can have some patience and learn to live with it. Saving money is important right now and spending it on other things.

MotherofJames
January 13th, 2018, 06:48 PM
I go once a year , in January, to the same lady who helps my hemline even out. She does not use a razor , just plain scissors, and doesn’t cut into the hair , which causes split ends. She cuts a straight line a “dust” or about half inch and also makes sure it is all even. When I tried to do it myself, I made it worse . So I found someone I could trust .

JadedByEntropy
January 13th, 2018, 07:00 PM
I go usually every 2 to 3 months. Endless cycle because of color and cuts that need maintenance. I'm kind of tired of it but not sure I can give it up. I tried ditching color once before and caved after about four months. I think mostly because I am going to have to live with unkempt scraggly hair for about a year before I can really maintain it myself. So endless cycle. I have an appointment Monday for just a cut. Was thinking about cutting my bangs back shorter as they are currently lip length and driving me nuts. But...not sure since another inch or two and they will be out of the way. Might be my last trim for awhile if I can have some patience and learn to live with it. Saving money is important right now and spending it on other things.

sounds like youre very close to being past the frustration of bangs length. i'd say stick it out-clips help. my bangs are waist length now, which is another style i love- long layers. You really don't have to have scraggly hair just becasue a stylist doesn't brush and cut it. There are tons of great updos or half ups that draw attention away from the flippy shoulder length stage which is difficult to self-trim. Believe me, its really much better not to cut. even with $5 trims i've saved over $900 since my last trim at a salon. stretch visits to 6-9 months if it makes it easier to quit.

Simsy
January 13th, 2018, 07:54 PM
I haven’t seen a hairdresser in about 18 months, mostly because I’m too lazy/time-poor to make the appointments. The last visit was because we were walking past and they had an opening. Before that, it had been over a year since I saw one so yeah, I’m really bad with hair appointments.

lapushka
January 14th, 2018, 04:16 AM
Oh great! If it gets too hard to manage just trim it back to classic. Either way your hair is beautiful and could very well go to floor with that hemline. Classic is a great middle ground though.

Sorry for the off topic folks.

Thank you so much! I will not hesitate to trim back when it gets way too difficult.

2gaits
January 14th, 2018, 06:03 PM
sounds like youre very close to being past the frustration of bangs length. i'd say stick it out-clips help. my bangs are waist length now, which is another style i love- long layers. You really don't have to have scraggly hair just becasue a stylist doesn't brush and cut it. There are tons of great updos or half ups that draw attention away from the flippy shoulder length stage which is difficult to self-trim. Believe me, its really much better not to cut. even with $5 trims i've saved over $900 since my last trim at a salon. stretch visits to 6-9 months if it makes it easier to quit.

Thanks. I'm trying to explore some different styles but it's difficult since I never wear my hair up. I find that the extra step of putting it up in the morning isn't something I have time for. It's just growing pains and something I need to work out in order to grow my hair longer.

psyc2321
January 14th, 2018, 06:59 PM
I have been seeing a trusted stylist four times a year. She’s not come back to work since having her last baby, so at the moment I’m torn between trying to train one of her colleagues (actually the stylist who trained my fave) - she’s very respectful of my goals and cautious to the point that my fringe hasn’t been cut short enough yet, but I’m struggling to get her to understand what I want from my hemline in terms of shape.

If my hands didn’t spasm so badly when I try to grip fiddle things like scissors, I’d have given up already. We’ll see how my next appointment goes this weekend, but if I’m still not happy with the result I’ll brave self trims before I try another stylist.

copperlites
January 15th, 2018, 04:27 AM
I do go to the salon to have my henna applied. I mix it at home, go there to have it applied (roots only) then go home again.i wash it out at home myself. If it’s the wi am just not good at applying it evenly to the back of my head. I have the roots done every 3 weeks. My husband does my length trims but the salon does my fringe, though I’m growing it out at present, until I’m fed up with that, which might be soon.

Kae612
January 15th, 2018, 02:43 PM
I've been going to the same hair stylist since I was 12. Every other hair experience has been terrible, but she has always listened to me and given me the best hair cuts on my ever-changing texture. I had trichotillomania related bald spots and very short, growing, thick/wavy hair through my teen years and she was extremely helpful. She styled my hair for prom, and she's given me lovely long and short cuts. I probably have gone to see her every 2-3 years or so.

Being a 2a, that doesn't seem very "not straight" but my hair definitely used to be thicker/wavier when I was younger (and the trich probably changed it as well). She has curly hair herself and seemed to really understand how my hair would fall in shorter cuts. I haven't trusted anyone else to give me a real wash-and-go shorter haircut, but she gave me a really lovely one about 4 years ago that framed my (chubby/round) face beautifully.

This last time I went to cut off the ends of my layers (from that cut), so about a 3-4inch trim. My ends had sustained a lot of chlorine and wear damage, and I wanted something straight across I could maintain myself in the future. I did S & D on my own, but eventually it was to the point I needed more off than just the splits due to tangles. I didn't trust myself to get it even from the get go.

dvep
January 15th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Not anymore. I used to go as a kid but since I've been more independent, as well as more decisive about my hair goals, it's been years since I've trusted my haircare to anyone besides myself. It's largely a financial choice, too, but I haven't felt the need.

curlily
January 15th, 2018, 03:48 PM
I have a haircut (trim) scheduled for next month, but I'm not sure if I should keep it. I don't want to lose any length - or spend the money! :hmm: Sometimes a trim really helps things look better, though, and I have so much hair (thick and curly) that its a daunting task to face on my own. I always hear about how curly hair needs to be properly "shaped"... is this true??

Simsy
January 16th, 2018, 02:44 AM
I have a haircut (trim) scheduled for next month, but I'm not sure if I should keep it. I don't want to lose any length - or spend the money! :hmm: Sometimes a trim really helps things look better, though, and I have so much hair (thick and curly) that its a daunting task to face on my own. I always hear about how curly hair needs to be properly "shaped"... is this true??

You would not believe how many sins and mistakes you can hide in curls. Uneven hems, weird curls and lopsided layers all disappear into a mass of stunning curls and gloriously big braids/buns. Also, few people will mention minor problems.

For example, I have shorter layers on either side of my head, and no one can tell because it blends in so well. Also, I rocked uneven face framing layers for nearly 6 months and never heard a word about it.

As for shaping, depends on what shape you want. I like a soft U-shape hem, but I wear mine up at all times so it’s not a massive issue if I screw it up. V-shaped hens are also quite pretty, and blunt hems are always a good option. There are a few self-trimming methods around the board, depends on if you want layers and/or hem shape.

Course, if you would prefer not to shape your hemline, fairy tale ends look awesome with curls.

Celtic Morla
January 16th, 2018, 08:38 AM
I havn'e been to a salon in over 8 years probably more! I wish I could find someone who would just respect long hair but I have never been successful. I might try again as I haven't even tried ui\in my new town and there is a small salon in the village that might be open to it, she works alon and my daughter uses her.

lapushka
January 16th, 2018, 08:42 AM

As a newbie, it is really hard and tough on you. You really need to snap out of the mindset of "needing" frequent trims, especially those 6 to 8 week ones. Dryness and crunchy and "bad" ends aren't a sign of "dead" hair, they are a sign that your product use is wonky and you probably need to clarify-wash and take care of the hair after with a good DT (deep treatment) or moisturizing conditioner.

I know about thick hair. I only know about wavy hair, though, not curly, but the methods are about the same. Have a look at my signature, 3 great links in there for you to browse and get to know. Pampering the hair well will fix a ton of issues. A trim won't necessarily do that.

Also, we tend to self-trim on this board. Once your hair is about BSL (bra strap length), you should be able to do trims yourself.

But trims don't need to happen frequently. Once or twice a year should be good, if you still want growth at all.

The Maple Leaf
January 16th, 2018, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=lapushka;3499472
But trims don't need to happen frequently. Once or twice a year should be good, if you still want growth at all.[/QUOTE]

Trims should never happen on a schedule. They should happen when you physically have enough split ends to justify it.

No, I stopped going to the barber/hairdresser many, many years ago. I trim my man-bob myself.

ggallagher27
January 16th, 2018, 01:34 PM
I'm so done with hairdressers.In my rural area, they make you feel bad about yourself, treat you like crap. I have been berated about that gray hair looks too old, curly looks so messy, I'm too old for long hair, etc. In addition, I'm BSL, and getting them to be able to trim it straight is impossible. I swear it feels like they have not even gone to school, much less have any manners. I'm thinking to start trimming with the moon. Not sure what method I will try, but for now, Ive been doing search and destroy, and slowly changing my products to fix the split ends.

Vorvayne
January 16th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I've been self trimming (with a few bits of assistance from a friend when it was super short) since...2012? I self trimmed for years before that, too, but I wanted a big cut to get rid of all the dye.

I'm considering going back to the salon to get my tips dyed, but I'm not going to let them cut it at all. And I'm only considering the salon because BB had a wonderful experience at a local salon and apparently the stylist was lovely and very understanding.

lapushka
January 17th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Trims should never happen on a schedule. They should happen when you physically have enough split ends to justify it.

No, I stopped going to the barber/hairdresser many, many years ago. I trim my man-bob myself.

Schedule or no, it's everyone's individual choice. :flower: Some of us prefer a schedule, others just fly by the seat of their pants. ;)

Blue Mermaid
January 17th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Well, I hold a cosmetology license, so i guess when i do my own hair it's technically done by a hairdresser? :bowtome:

Recently I've been having my henna done by a hair dresser, my hair has just gotten too thick and long to guarantee I don't miss spots. She is incredibly supportive of my journey to long, healthy hair naturally, and is a wealth of information. Usually I trim my ends here and there myself, I am super prone to dryness and splits popping up frequently. And on occasion I will have the lady who was my cosmetology instructor shape up my hair. Without some decent layering and face framing, I end up looking like cousin it with my hair down. I've known her since I was 17 and trust her fully. She also does my moms hair.

JadedByEntropy
January 17th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Well, I hold a cosmetology license, so i guess when i do my own hair it's technically done by a hairdresser? :bowtome:

Recently I've been having my henna done by a hair dresser, my hair has just gotten too thick and long to guarantee I don't miss spots. She is incredibly supportive of my journey to long, healthy hair naturally, and is a wealth of information. Usually I trim my ends here and there myself, I am super prone to dryness and splits popping up frequently. And on occasion I will have the lady who was my cosmetology instructor shape up my hair. Without some decent layering and face framing, I end up looking like cousin it with my hair down. I've known her since I was 17 and trust her fully. She also does my moms hair.

:bowtome:
henna really does take a helper past a certain length. its a lot of work. moreso than dye, which also is a pain at great lengths to do to oneself.

YvetteVarie
January 18th, 2018, 01:56 AM
I only go when I need a long term style done e.g. braids. I wash and detangle my hair at home, I only trust one salon to do this as well as I do. Unfortunately, the salon is quite expensive so I have limited my visits there.

Kake
January 18th, 2018, 06:40 AM
I've been twice in the last couple of months, after not having been for a few years. I've had so many bad experiences that I was hesitant, but both recent times were good. I got my brassy ends dyed brown, and got an inch off my ratty ends. The dye is still holding, so I got a much better than expected result there.

T0n1c
January 18th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Last time I went to the salon was some time last year. I can't even tell you when for sure. I have done one big-ish (1/4-1/2 inch) trim and a couple very tiny ones at home. Mostly I just S&D every so often. I don't have a schedule yet, I just kind of check for splits when I have time.

I would be wiling to go if I though I needed to, but so far I am really pleased with what I am able to do for myself at home.
Now I just need to learn how to cut my husband's hair!

ShahMat
January 18th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Last time I went was in late December, and that last visit made me swear never to go to a hairdresser again.
I felt very ambivalent about hairdressers even before, and I trim my own hair so I actually went in just a couple of times a year.
This time was a deposit-only hair dye and a deep conditioning treatment... not only did the stylist rip through the tangles from root to tip with so much hatred you'd think I had murdered her family, but she used shampoo (and a very harsh one, apparently) four times. I asked her more than once if that was necessary and she barely muttered something about "opening the cuticles so the treatment gets absorbed better".
When she was done rubbing my scalp with so much energy that basically she polished my skull, I was in pain, with my scalp on fire and bright pink and three bleeding rashes (on both my temples and one on the forehead). Imagine how gorgeous I looked on New Year's Eve :headache:

martyna_22
January 18th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Yup. I cannot cut my hair for the life of me. I've just recently found out, though, that my boyfriend's grandma is the best at cutting a straight hem. And she actually has professional scissors! I'm sure to ask her in the future!

MusicalSpoons
January 22nd, 2018, 04:17 PM
A family friend (self-employed hairdresser) was the only person ever to go near my hair with scissors, but I haven't seen her for 1 1/2-2 years, since learning how to take care of my hair. I used to go maybe once a year, when she would 'trim' off the damaged/split ends - all 6" of them! - but to me that was a trim because it was the minimum needed, and I didn't know my hair could grow any longer than that so I was just happy to have a 'fresh ends' again. Since my last haircut, I've microtrimmed once, and actual-trimmed once myself.

I'm hoping I can get to calf, and if/when I do I'll probably go to her for a trim - either back to knee, to have a fresh hemline, or to cut back to wherever was most comfortable (unlikely!) :scissors:

NightSister
January 22nd, 2018, 06:29 PM
Nope, been cutting my hair at home myself or with DH for a while now!

andryssa
February 1st, 2018, 12:39 PM
I haven't been at the hairdresser for approx. 7 years and I don't plan ever see them in future. I just trim my hair at home, but very rarely.

AceOfCurls
February 1st, 2018, 05:14 PM
Yes, I see a deva curl hairdresser. It's expensive ($150) so I only see her every three years so next year will be the next time I see her.

Beckstar
February 1st, 2018, 05:25 PM
Yep. Who else is going to shave the side of my head? I can and did for a long time but cut too far back once.

yamsha23
February 2nd, 2018, 02:54 AM
I lost my trust in hairdressers these last few years.... I wasn't lucky and I went to random hairdressers that ruined my hair. It's a pity because I liked my hairdressers before I moved out of my city.
You truly have to establish some kind of friendship with the hairdresser or else your hair will be one of the hundreds heads of hairs he/she sees in week and it will not be treated with love.

Milady_DeWinter
February 2nd, 2018, 03:46 AM
Last time I went to the hairdresser was on december 2016 :) Just after the dyes disaster, I had to take about 9-10 inches of hair off and left me at BSL :(

Was a nightmare.

It was not her fault though, and may be once my hair is long enough (TBL or so) I'd go like once a year to have a proper trim, but only if it's the very same girl that used to cut my hair, I sort of trust her. Not her partner though, about 4 years ago other girl trimmed my hair and took 3 inches more than requested and was quite rude :steam

Now I'm comfy at cutting my hair myself, last year I bought some proper hair scissors (Candure 5,5") and I've done 2 trims and several S&D with them :)

Goatcraft
February 2nd, 2018, 05:25 AM
I do everything at home. I don't really trusts salons. The last time I went, I was a child - they fried my hair, then chopped it off. Looking back, it was probably chopped off to hide the damage that was caused. After that, I've not been back to a salon. I do all my own trimmings with my own professional grade sheers (My sister is a stylist, so it's easy to get my hands on some).

genlilliana
February 2nd, 2018, 11:26 AM
I had the best stylist back home...she totally "got" my hair. Straight razor, dry cut...left me with amazing styles and curls; I miss her dearly. Then I had to fall in love, marry and move away. It's been 4 years and I just refuse to go to the salon. It takes WAY too long to find the right stylist for long, thick, curly hair and I've lost patience with the process over the years. With Faye's trimming instructions, I've been able to trim my own hair in a reasonable style and let it grow...my husband loves the length and he gives me plenty of time and a wide berth to care for it (my ex did not...wanted my hair long, would complain I take too much time with it and then complain that my hair looked frizzy and dry...glad to be rid of that nonsense in my life!) I have to admit, self trims are just fine with me! If I were to go shorter or have bangs or something, I might go - but for now, happy to do it at home.

savannahfaery
February 2nd, 2018, 01:17 PM
My mother is a hairdresser, so in the past when I absolutely needed to get a trim, I went to her, and that way I knew too much wouldn't be cut off! However, now that I am growing fairytale ends, I'm no longer doing any trims. :o

psyc2321
August 13th, 2018, 01:25 AM
I have been seeing a trusted stylist four times a year. She’s not come back to work since having her last baby, so at the moment I’m torn between trying to train one of her colleagues (actually the stylist who trained my fave) - she’s very respectful of my goals and cautious to the point that my fringe hasn’t been cut short enough yet, but I’m struggling to get her to understand what I want from my hemline in terms of shape.

If my hands didn’t spasm so badly when I try to grip fiddle things like scissors, I’d have given up already. We’ll see how my next appointment goes this weekend, but if I’m still not happy with the result I’ll brave self trims before I try another stylist.

Funny story - that haircut went fine, so I went back in March, and wound up with an entirely unwanted heavy fringe. So I haven't been back since, but my trusted favourite is finally coming back to work, and has been asking DH how my hair is going :D So I have an appointment in a month to get my hemline back and to come up with a regrowth plan for my fringe (it's waaay too blunt and heavy to just let it grow, it's going to look really stupid in about two months' time). I've just hit classic, but I know she'll actually leave the point of my V hem at my current length and only trim what's needed to make it fall how I like, so I'm not worried about losing that milestone.

lakhesis
August 13th, 2018, 02:28 AM
Last time I went to salon was in August 2017 - I've been growing out bleach disaster for 2 years at that time and asked the lady for balayage, so it is not so obvious where the bleached ends starts and I explained I don't plan to dye my hair ever again afterwards and I want to grow it out long. She did an amazing job, I was very happy with the results.

I even told her to cut what she considered really damaged and she cut only very little. She actually had gorgeous hip length black hair, so maybe that's why :)

Xlena
August 13th, 2018, 04:02 AM
I don't like other people cutting my hair so I only went to the hairdresser to highlight it. As I'm growing natural, I haven't been to one since 2015 xD

iforgotmylogin
August 13th, 2018, 04:27 AM
I haven't been to a hairdresser since I was a teenager. I grew my hair for a bit, then would cut it trimmed at a different hairdresser (who seemed to get no business), then I started cutting it myself

Got my mother to shave my head, then grew it back, then started getting parental buzzcuts until 3 years ago when both have moved away, leading to having long hair again now

Wendyp
August 13th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Nope. I finally figured out how to trim my own, spidermoms method works for me.

CopperButterfly
August 13th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Right now I'm going every 6 months or dio. I Havre a hair dresser I trust. Before I started growing out my hair, she was always conservative about how much she took off compared to how much I wanted. I often asked her to take more. I really like her.

I trim my own bangs, but I do not trust myself to trim my length, and am worried I'd take off a lot just trying to get it even.

Carolyn
August 13th, 2018, 06:54 AM
I don't feel I'm very good at self trims. I can do a half inch because an error isn't going to show up much. I have had a couple bad salon experiences but they were years and years ago and I now realize half of it was on me. I didn't communicate well with her and I didn't keep a close eye on what she was going. Now I have a trusted stylist who usually takes off less than I ask for. She knows how much I love my hair long. She is over an hour away so it's not always possible to make an appointment with her and be able to come due to winter weather. I've gone to Wal Mart salons and been very happy with the results. I always ask for less to be cut off than I feel I can live with. I don't plan to stop going.

Stray_mind
August 13th, 2018, 07:04 AM
I have a trustworthy hairdresser who treats my hair with special care and Never trims off too much. She remembered me even after i called her after a year of abscence, and welcomed me. She never forces me to dye my hair or cut it short.

illicitlizard
August 13th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Yep but probably will less so now since my trusted hairdresser is ~1700km away. If I'm lucky in the future I may get a trim once a year, unless I find someone else near me who's good. I don't trust myself to cut my own hair at any length, but I also don't trust just any stylist especially since my aim is now to grow my hair as long as possible!

Bryndhildr
August 13th, 2018, 07:21 AM
No. I used to have one back home that I trusted but still saw rarely. Now I am living in a new country. It's like three times the price to get any hair services here and I'm living in a small town. Thanks to Feyes haircutting tips and some other videos I found online, I just do everything myself when it needs to be done.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 13th, 2018, 07:27 AM
My DH was in Ireland 8 years ago and had his hair trimmed a couple of times while he was there. He went back there for another haircut while we were there earlier this year. He walked in, said hello, and the hairdresser said "Hello, it's -----, isn't it?" Not bad her remembering his name straight away after not seeing him for 8 years.....

As for me, I avoid hairdressers like the plague, they never do what I ask and I trim my own hair now. Also I am much gentler on my hair than they are, too.

Ylva
August 13th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I get my roots bleached by a professional every couple of months. Wouldn't dare to attempt it myself, ever! Or anything else with bleach for that matter, I've been crazy enough in the past when I didn't know what the devil I was doing but did it anyway. I've finally found a great hairdresser who doesn't pressure me into cutting my hair, respects my hair in general and treats it very gently. She stays away from heat styling other than the blow dryer, which is sort of necessary unless I want to leave with a wet mess, again showing respect to the way I personally prefer to treat my hair.

ravenskey
August 13th, 2018, 09:57 AM
I have a very trusted hairdresser who is very nice and whose concept of and inch is very small but I think that the next time I need a trim I'll try Faye's method and if it works I'll stick with it.

lapis_lazuli
August 13th, 2018, 10:07 AM
I currently don't, last time was three years ago. It's through no fault of her own; my hairdresser's been cutting my family's hair for 20+ years and I would totally trust her if I had to go in.

I just found I can also trust my mom to evenly cut off an eighth of an inch :p

ExpectoPatronum
August 13th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I don't. I self-trim usually. Once a year I might go to a stylist to get an actual hair style, but that's been happening less and less now that I'm in grad school (being busy + broke means I'm not prioritizing how my hair looks :p)

lottiealice
August 13th, 2018, 12:51 PM
I go every month because I have a full fringe and trust a hairdresser to cut it in a straight line. I go to the same place, a small Supercuts with about four people who work there and none of them have done me wrong. I wouldn't let them cut my length though, I S&D at home.

GrowlingCupcake
August 13th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Very rarely. I only go to one if I need a big (4+ inches chop). Otherwise I trim my hair at home. I think the last time I went to one was 2+ years ago.

I do have a trusted hair dresser who understands that I am only interested in minimal cuts.

TreesOfEternity
August 13th, 2018, 07:15 PM
I’ve always mantained my fringe myself (currently I’m growing it out) and my mom does my microtrims when needed.

Milkchocolate
August 13th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Last time I went to a salon was March 2008. I was 17, asked for a short haircut, sort of like a feminine pixie. I even showed her a photo from their style book...but the hairdresser began cutting it like a man’s haircut. Electric hair razor, buzzed and tapered at the bottom, parted on top. Literally, it was a mans hair cut. I had to tell her to stop in the middle of it because I was so shocked. I cried a little. I went to my friends house shortly after, and her mom saw me from the back, and I heard her ask “who is that guy?” ......omg lol nooo. But really, I was 17, a wild card, and nothing really mattered to me anyway so I got over it pretty quickly LOL. Thank goodness!!

It’s been 10 years this March the last time I went to a hairdresser. I don’t think I’m ever going back. Sometimes I have nightmares about it lol.

I think that experience really scared me because weirdly, I didn’t feel like I was in control and didn’t recognize myself. Along with people questioning my sexuality because of my haircut. :/ Also to add fuel to the fire, my face shape doesn’t complement short haircuts. I have a round face that still has baby fat haha so there was that too :/

illicitlizard
August 14th, 2018, 03:33 AM
Last time I went to a salon was March 2008. I was 17, asked for a short haircut, sort of like a feminine pixie. I even showed her a photo from their style book...but the hairdresser began cutting it like a man’s haircut. Electric hair razor, buzzed and tapered at the bottom, parted on top. Literally, it was a mans hair cut. I had to tell her to stop in the middle of it because I was so shocked. I cried a little. I went to my friends house shortly after, and her mom saw me from the back, and I heard her ask “who is that guy?” ......omg lol nooo. But really, I was 17, a wild card, and nothing really mattered to me anyway so I got over it pretty quickly LOL. Thank goodness!!

It’s been 10 years this March the last time I went to a hairdresser. I don’t think I’m ever going back. Sometimes I have nightmares about it lol.

I think that experience really scared me because weirdly, I didn’t feel like I was in control and didn’t recognize myself. Along with people questioning my sexuality because of my haircut. :/ Also to add fuel to the fire, my face shape doesn’t complement short haircuts. I have a round face that still has baby fat haha so there was that too :/

Oh my! that sounds very unpleasant. I get why you'd never want to go to a hairdresser ever again, that sounds kinda traumatising :/ . (Also why do people think they can determine ones sexuality from a haircut? Makes no sense.)

nycelle
August 14th, 2018, 06:03 AM
Even after my last horrible trim, I'll still be seeing my stylist at the end of September (not the same person who did my last trim.)

Vanillame
August 14th, 2018, 02:53 PM
I haven't been to one in 9 year's. Before that many were scissor happy.

frolickingfairy
August 14th, 2018, 02:59 PM
I haven't been since last September. I tend to only go when I want something more than a simple cut done, like I want layers cut in or trimmed, or I want a different shaped hairline. My hair is all one length at the minute so it's fairly easy for my mother to trim for me.

Natalia_A00
August 14th, 2018, 05:48 PM
I'm new to hair care, and I don't think I would be able to cut it myself (right now), so I prefer to go to a hairdresser once in a while. I haven't found a great hairdresser who actually listens to what I want though. They always cut too much :(

RadioactiveLily
August 14th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Sort of. I have a hair dresser who’s cut my hair for 10+ years, but it’s very sporadic. I haven’t had a real trim in over 2 years, though I S&D regularly. I like her a lot though when I make it in to see her. She always cuts exactly as I ask, treats my hair gently, and doesn’t charge a lot for just a simple trim. For about a year I tried trimming my hair on my own, but she is much faster and accurate than I am, ha. I also looooooooove people playing with or washing my hair- it’s as relaxing as a massage to me, so it’s like a treat when I go.

cjk
August 14th, 2018, 10:36 PM
I fired my barbers years ago when I taught myself precision clipper work. I became the best flattop barber in my county.

As my hair has grown longer I've expanded my skill set.

Not yet felt the need to see a hairdresser.

Jo Ann
August 14th, 2018, 11:02 PM
I'm new to hair care, and I don't think I would be able to cut it myself (right now), so I prefer to go to a hairdresser once in a while. I haven't found a great hairdresser who actually listens to what I want though. They always cut too much :(

Try a barber. When I've messed up on trimming my hair, I go see the same barbers I turned my sons onto a couple of years ago. :) I always get the trim I want, including the hemline shape. I've never been happier!

Longlegs
August 14th, 2018, 11:49 PM
My husband bought me a voucher to have my hair coloured last year. That's the first time I've been to one in about 10 years. She did'nt do a bad job but she also did'nt really listen to me, I'm pretty sure she used bleach to remove faded dye I already had in my hair, which is something I would never do. I'm happier doing it myself. I cut it myself with a bit of help from my husband.

BeverlyHills
August 17th, 2018, 10:47 PM
Promised myself I would never go to a hairdresser again

Reservechic
August 17th, 2018, 11:24 PM
It has been well over 15+ years since I had a hair stylist touch my hair. And, at this point in my hair journey, I honestly, have become a total DIY'er and don't trust having a hair stylist do my hair. If I can find one that I can really trust at some point, later on, cool, but if not, then I'm totally fine with that.

I must also admit that I have never had a hair stylist that I was ever really loyal to and that went to for years on end. I went through a number of hair stylists, when I was actually into going to get my hair professionally done. Some of them were better than others, but I just don't care to spend almost my entire day in a salon every Saturday to get my hair done, try and keep my hair from getting wet and caught in the rain, and having to sleep a certain way just to maintain the hair styles for as long as I could in between visits. And, even with doing all of that, my hair would eventually end up in a ponytail or bun anyways. I now wear my hair naturally curly. But, before that for many years, I wore my hair chemically processed. Where I live at it is very hard to find a hair stylist that knows how to properly do naturally curly, ethnic hair (no matter their race). I would love to one day go to a special salon with DevaCurl or Ouidad trained stylists there who properly understand curly hair, but the nearest salons that contain Deva trained stylists are about 45 minutes to almost an hour away. I just don't have it within me to go through all that traffic both ways, have to pay for enough gas for the trips going to and coming back from, as well, as the actual salon visits themselves too. Which is why, I have become at peace with being a DIY'er and have had a chance to learn so much more about my hair after I started caring for it myself, when I decided to start wearing my hair curly than I ever had, when I was getting my hair chemically processed straight.

chrissy-b
August 19th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I think the last time I went to a salon was in 2005. The guy used a razor on my fine, thin hair to give me layers. It looked awful. Before that it was probably ten years earlier that I had the best cut I'd ever had in my life (but I don't live in that city anymore). I've been cutting my own hair on and off basically since 1999. Everything from a buzz cut to WL. Most of the time I had to trim my hair myself after I went to a salon because I would always find some pieces they missed or screwed up so it really wasn't worth it. I am considering going to a salon for highlights though because I don't feel comfortable doing that myself.

peachyleshy
August 19th, 2018, 05:47 PM
I haven't been in a few years and don't plan on going back anytime soon. I don't want to pay for a little trim or risk someone cutting too much. I had always wanted to find a stylist I really liked and trusted, but never did - and it doesn't matter now :)

paulownia
August 20th, 2018, 12:47 AM
Last time on a hairdressers chair - May. It didn't turn out bad - she gave me a decent trim, didn't cut too much, didn't layer too much either - but frankly speaking I can cut my hair myself. I don't plan to go to a hairdresser any time soon....;) just growing. Saving money too:p.

RubberDucky
August 20th, 2018, 01:00 AM
Since I started growing my hair again I haven't gone back to a hairdresser. Right now I trim the bangs myself and ask my mom for help if I need to trim anything else.

Crna Kosa
August 20th, 2018, 02:17 AM
Not in 2-3 years. I actually used to go often to the hairdresser, and when I couldn't go to my regular hairdresser I would go to somebody else. They were always criticizing each others work. One even gave me layers even if I told him I just wanted v shape hemline. It's better not going. I thought that I must cut my hair and go to the hairdresser but it is not really necessary.

OhSuzi
August 20th, 2018, 03:05 AM
I still go to a hair dresser, the same person that i trust to do a good job! but like once a year / 18 months - I leave it to grow as long as I can in between.
But I think, as I still like having a bit of a hair style as I grow it out - either long bob or eventually choppy layers to accentuate the curls - I'll leave it to someone who knows what they're doing and they can chop it without all the blood rushing from their hands and going cross eyed and getting confused about which direction to move scissors as they dont need to look at the back of my head in a mirror!
Plus you know wine, magazines, head massage and really sheeny shiny hair for a day (no straightners tho).

Maybe when its long enough to pull all of it to the front ill consider doing my own tiny trims.

TheCurlyMermaid
August 20th, 2018, 01:03 PM
I go for highlights, but considering starting to go for DC/treatments...

ETA: But those scissors stay far away from my hair. My mom trims my hair.

LittleHealthy
August 21st, 2018, 05:21 PM
I’ve never been to a hairdresser. My mother always cut our hair as children, and now I do it myself. I’ve never had a fancy style really. Aside from the chin-length concaved bob my mum cut for me in 2014!

Sid0rela
August 22nd, 2018, 04:29 AM
the one i go to costs like 3$ at most. i live in a place where hairdressers can be cheap. i like the feeling after going to the hairdresser tho.

elfynity
August 22nd, 2018, 11:03 AM
I would love to know, from someone who is a hairdresser, why it is that with alot of hairdresser stories, you ask them to cut off a half inch and they cut off 3. Is there like a hairdresser code that says 'the customer is always right until it comes to hair trimming, then the customer is always wrong'? Is it that the hairdresser sees bad ends and thinks, if i don't chop those this hair wont grow - my client doesn't know what is good for her / him. There must be a reason why this is such a common thing.

TreesOfEternity
August 22nd, 2018, 11:34 AM
I would love to know, from someone who is a hairdresser, why it is that with alot of hairdresser stories, you ask them to cut off a half inch and they cut off 3. Is there like a hairdresser code that says 'the customer is always right until it comes to hair trimming, then the customer is always wrong'? Is it that the hairdresser sees bad ends and thinks, if i don't chop those this hair wont grow - my client doesn't know what is good for her / him. There must be a reason why this is such a common thing.

One of my friends is a hairdresser and told me that sometimes customer ask them to cut half an inch when their hair is full of splits and destroyed up to several inches higher. And for them the goal is to give a good result on the first place. Also she told me that some don’t know how to perform a good cut and have to correct several times, which means cutting shorter and shorter until the cut is even and looks good.

elfynity
August 22nd, 2018, 03:18 PM
Also she told me that some don’t know how to perform a good cut and have to correct several times, which means cutting shorter and shorter until the cut is even and looks good.

Wow! That sounds insane!

mackensey
April 25th, 2019, 12:28 AM
I go to a family friend's salon about once a year for a trim. Once my hair is passed MBL I think I'll begin to trim it myself.

Jo Ann
April 25th, 2019, 01:13 AM
It's been three or four years since my last *ahem!* trim, so, no.

UPDATE: I see my Dear Sons' barber once or twice a year for a trim and even up the ends (even though I do the "under the chin method" of trimming) and a stylist about every three/four months to bleach my roots on the sides and back of my hair (I did the bleach-baths myself, but my glob/smush method doesn't work so well on root touch-ups :o )

Simpscone
April 25th, 2019, 02:40 AM
I've had my hair cut by my cousin who is a hairdresser since I was around 12 (she's a decade older than me). I always just say "take what it needs" because I don't like keeping super damaged ends, and she does exactly that. She will say if she doesn't think it needs anything, or if it needs a lot. I don't know if I would trust anyone else to do it for me, and it's currently too short at APL with chin length layers for me to feel comfortable trying it myself.

She also did my big chop to chin length in 2016, despite thinking I would hate it. And then bleached it all over a few months later to get my bright yellow hair dye out (meaning we were bleaching over previously bleached hair... eek). I'm very lucky that she will do whatever I ask and knows I take responsibility for the consequences.

I'm currently planning on having her trim it every 6 months - as my bleached ends grow out I might even be able to stretch to a year and do my own trims!

I don't know if I could trust any other hairdresser though!

Aerya
April 25th, 2019, 03:10 AM
Nope. Haven't been to one in years. My mum used to take me to the same hairdresser she went to and while she wasn't bad by any means, I was never particularly happy with the results either. In retrospect that might have been because I wasn't happy with my looks in general and I didn't quite know what I wanted, nor how to communicate it. Bringing pictures? Never heard of her.

I think I will get a haircut once it's grown to a length I enjoy and most of the damage is out though. For now I have to trim away damage too frequently to bother, and I'm not really happy with how my hair looks down regardless of cut, so I can't justify the expense. There's also the energy that goes into finding a hairdresser I trust, both in deciding who to go for and the stress of actually getting the cut. Knowing myself I'll be micromanaging every snip and probably have a minor anxiety attack in the chair. That stuff is exhausting, lol.

lapushka
April 25th, 2019, 06:16 AM
I've had my hair cut by my cousin who is a hairdresser since I was around 12 (she's a decade older than me). I always just say "take what it needs" because I don't like keeping super damaged ends, and she does exactly that. She will say if she doesn't think it needs anything, or if it needs a lot. I don't know if I would trust anyone else to do it for me, and it's currently too short at APL with chin length layers for me to feel comfortable trying it myself.

She also did my big chop to chin length in 2016, despite thinking I would hate it. And then bleached it all over a few months later to get my bright yellow hair dye out (meaning we were bleaching over previously bleached hair... eek). I'm very lucky that she will do whatever I ask and knows I take responsibility for the consequences.

I'm currently planning on having her trim it every 6 months - as my bleached ends grow out I might even be able to stretch to a year and do my own trims!

I don't know if I could trust any other hairdresser though!

Just make sure if you go every 6 months that she doesn't take all your growth, unless that is exactly what you want. I'd be very specific, regardless of the fact that you trust her, about how much you want taken off, and take a measuring tape with you to show exactly how much. We've all been there, even with trusted stylists! Just FYI.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 11:25 AM
I do see a hair dresser now, but I was trimming my own hair for years, that was before I found lhc too, I just sorta trimmed it on my own without really knowing what I was doing. I don't think anyone really knew that I cut my own hair, it was pretty long, like mid back length. But then once day I decided to cut it shorter for a trip I was taking (to a hot destination for a month), and then got a trim there to clean up my cut, and then got another cut when I got back, and then found someone else to help me grow out layers that I've been to twice. I will probably see her every 2-6 months, or any time I feel like I botched a trim =). She earned my trust by only dusting my ends the 2 times I've seen her, and not cutting anything extra.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 11:36 AM
I go for highlights, but considering starting to go for DC/treatments...

ETA: But those scissors stay far away from my hair. My mom trims my hair.

Aw, I miss the days when my mom trimmed my hair. She was probably my best hairdresser. Back when I had tailbone length hair, and would do one trim a year =). Maybe I could convince her to trim it again, I guess I hadn't thought of it. Does anyone have husbands who trim their hair? That would be pretty ideal. I cut my husbands hair, but have never asked if he would cut mine.. hmm..

H o n є y ❤
April 25th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Yes, but my favorite stylist of all time has moved out of state. Now I have to go to another one but I really miss my original stylist, I trust her with all my hair. :(

Katsura
April 25th, 2019, 11:40 AM
No, I don't. I have complete control. :D

Begemot
April 25th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Yeah. I used to trim my own hair when it was longer but feel better about hairdresser doing it now that my hair is short. I have visited the same hairdresser for years now.

rhosyn_du
April 25th, 2019, 12:47 PM
Yup. I like the way my hair looks with light layering, which is hard to do on my own, and my current hairdresser is really great about doing exactly what I ask her for. She mostly trains other stylists these days, but she still takes appointments once a week. If she ever goes entirely to training, I'll probably start trimming my own hair again.