PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned?

Syaoransbear
January 9th, 2018, 06:22 PM
My hair is shedding like crazy. Basically everytime I run my hands through my hair I lose at least a few hairs. Doesn't matter how many times or if I just brushed it. It won't stop.

It's been happening for a couple months and seems to be at its worst right now. I have lost a noticeable amount of thickness. I don't have any bald ultra thin patches, it seems like it is evenly shedding all over.

https://image.ibb.co/chxOxR/20171224_122000.jpg
This is two days worth of hair. My hair is only BSL right now, so that is not just a few very long hairs.

Could this be something like seasonal shedding(which I don't recall ever having) or should I see a doctor?

Robi-Bird
January 9th, 2018, 06:33 PM
It very well could be a seasonal shed, maybe brought on by a weaker or worse winter? But it wouldn't hurt to have a blood test.

Syaoransbear
January 9th, 2018, 06:49 PM
While I haven't had a blood test done for vitamin deficiencies, about 3 weeks ago I had an ovarian cyst rupture. I had my blood tested at the time and my bloodwork was "pristine".

Robi-Bird
January 9th, 2018, 07:14 PM
You may want to to ask for a more thorough blood test. It's sounds like your testosterone is probably good (elevated testosterone can lead to male pattern baldness in women), I'm guessing the tested for that since ovarian cysts can be PCOS and elevated testosterone can be one of the symptoms, so there could be a vitamin deficiency, and it doesn't hurt to check it out (thank you universal health care, no hit to the wallet).

Think back to your year. Are you more stressed, suffering any chronic health issues, all of these can affect our hair. You say you've noticed a difference in thickness. You may want to take a proper measurement, give it a few months and measure again.

enting
January 9th, 2018, 08:16 PM
That doesn't look like all that much hair to me for two days worth. I used to get a lot more with rough brushing at your length. I would go by ponytail circumference. If you're not losing circumference, you have absolutely no need to worry, it may just be a shed or quick turnover of hair. Do not be concerned unless and until you see it affecting the hair on your head, not the amount in your brush. :blossom:

Reyn127
January 9th, 2018, 09:53 PM
It doesn't look like way too much to me. You might be shedding more than normal, but it doesn't seem to be to the point to be critically concerned. It's not uncommon to go through very strong shed stages, where you can lose pretty large amounts of hair. It usually IS caused by something (like stress/vitamin or hormone disruptions), but hair shedding like that takes months to come into effect, and also to end, almost no matter what you do.

It should end soon, at least. I lost probably about 1/4-1/3 my entire thickness throughout a year, but it didn't last any longer than that. As long as you aren't losing an extreme amount of thickness, I bet you're fine.

akurah
January 9th, 2018, 10:51 PM
How long is your hair? That looks like 2 days worth of shed for someone with my length of hair.

lapushka
January 10th, 2018, 10:11 AM
What's in your brush really isn't a lot for 2 days, IMO. For me. It may be more for you, and that is why you need to go through your routine with a fine tooth comb.

Do you oil, or condition your scalp, or have you begun to?

Has something in your routine changed at all?

If nothing else, it might also be seasonal, even though my seasonal sheds are usually fall and spring.

lottiealice
January 10th, 2018, 10:47 AM
I'm a couple of inches away from BSL and get that kind of shedding, I wouldn't worry about it too much (especially as stress can actually case further shedding/loss) unless you're losing ponytail circumfrence.

DweamGoiL
January 10th, 2018, 01:02 PM
I was going to say that doesn't look like an exorbitant amount of hair for 2 days.

Suze
January 10th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Want to add something: did you every really look at your brush to see how many sheds there where, did you focus on shed hairs at all? For me that was the issue in the end. When I started to focus on my hair more got totally freaked when I saw the amount of hair I shed. But after a while I realized I had no real frame of reference plus I was wearing my hair up all the time so the sheds would only come out when I brushed. This might be a dumb comment because you have been a member year for quite some time so sorry if it is but still wanted to point this out.

Syaoransbear
January 11th, 2018, 09:42 PM
My circumference was only 2 1/2 inches around, so this is a lot of hair for me. I don't have much to lose to begin with. I
have lost half an inch of circumference already, so now I am at 2".

That's just what is in my brush. A bunch also comes out when I am detangling with my fingers, or when I shower, etc.

I just fully brushed my hair with a brush. Then I took one hand, passed it through one side of my hair(not pulling or anything), and 11 strands came out. I could keep repeating and I will always end up having hair in my hand, even when I am going over the same section. It just doesn't end.

Nothing has changed in my hair routine, but in August I went off birth control.

lapushka
January 12th, 2018, 05:13 AM
My circumference was only 2 1/2 inches around, so this is a lot of hair for me. I don't have much to lose to begin with. I

That's just what is in my brush. A bunch also comes out when I am detangling with my fingers, or when I shower, etc.

I just fully brushed my hair with a brush. Then I took one hand, passed it through one side of my hair(not pulling or anything), and 11 strands came out. I could keep repeating and I will always end up having hair in my hand, even when I am going over the same section. It just doesn't end.

That makes sense. Could be it.

enting
January 12th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Ah, so it is noticeably affecting your circumference. (Rereading your original post I see that you had said that. I must have missed it, I'm sorry.) I'd get it checked out by a doctor then, maybe a dermatologist? It sounds like it could be affected by both your going off of birth control and the cyst rupture. Your body may just be reacting to that, but it couldn't hurt to have someone examine your scalp and see if there's anything they can suggest to halt it/reverse it.
Have you read through the various threads on shedding/hair loss on the forum? I know there are a few, but I don't know if there's anything useful specifically to your case.
I hope you find some answers soon! :flower:

lapushka
January 12th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Ah, so it is noticeably affecting your circumference. (Rereading your original post I see that you had said that. I must have missed it, I'm sorry.) I'd get it checked out by a doctor then, maybe a dermatologist? It sounds like it could be affected by both your going off of birth control and the cyst rupture. Your body may just be reacting to that, but it couldn't hurt to have someone examine your scalp and see if there's anything they can suggest to halt it/reverse it.
Have you read through the various threads on shedding/hair loss on the forum? I know there are a few, but I don't know if there's anything useful specifically to your case.
I hope you find some answers soon! :flower:

Yeah, I'm seconding the idea for a doctor's visit; and maybe some bloodwork. It's not a bad idea after going off of BC to do that, maybe to see if your hormones are doing OK and aren't out of whack. It may take about half a year to settle.

I needed to go off BC once to have some tests done (hormones to see if I was in menopause), and so it took about 3-4 months to do that. It takes a while before your natural hormones settle after coming off of BC. In my case at least.

Reyn127
January 14th, 2018, 07:08 PM

Going off of birth control could definitely be a cause of hair loss. It was one of the factors for me.

Jo Ann
January 15th, 2018, 05:36 PM
If you were on the Pill, that would account for the hair loss, Syaoransbear.

My other thought was your hairbrush. No offense, but that thing looks deadly! :shocked: It's probably just me--my hair doesn't take too well to brushes with those types of bristles.

Syaoransbear
January 16th, 2018, 09:44 PM
If you were on the Pill, that would account for the hair loss, Syaoransbear.

My other thought was your hairbrush. No offense, but that thing looks deadly! :shocked: It's probably just me--my hair doesn't take too well to brushes with those types of bristles.

The bristles are just really flexible nylon. I was using a tangle teezer for about 7 years but my ends seemed crappy so I went back to this. Also, all the hairs have roots.

https://image.ibb.co/mqrORm/hairloss.jpg

Here's an example of when I just pass my hand through part of my hair. There are 38 hairs here.

I thought after so many months I was in the clear for birth control related hair loss :(. I already have a really short terminal length which gives me an extreme taper that basically starts immediately. ugh.

lapushka
January 17th, 2018, 03:59 AM
How many months have you been off BC. I think after about 3 months it should settle somewhat. At least that's what my GP told me when I went off them to have my hormones checked (for signs of early menopause).

Syaoransbear
January 17th, 2018, 02:57 PM
How many months have you been off BC. I think after about 3 months it should settle somewhat. At least that's what my GP told me when I went off them to have my hormones checked (for signs of early menopause).

I've been off of them since early august.

lapushka
January 17th, 2018, 03:25 PM
I've been off of them since early august.

That's quite some time... I can't figure out if it's 3 months after your hormones "regulated" that you may have started to get this?

If you're really worried like this, I'd go visit the doctor and talk this through, so maybe bloodwork can be done. Might be something you're lacking in nutrients or so. Or, have you already done that? I can't quite remember.

Blue Mermaid
January 17th, 2018, 03:31 PM
I second getting some basic blood work done. Hair fall is a classic sign of thyroid trouble and nutritional deficiencies.

Syaoransbear
January 20th, 2018, 03:23 PM
I've had bloodwork done pretty recently and my thyroid was fine, but I'm getting it tested in a month again. I'm getting bloodwork for iron deficiency as soon as I find the time to go. I was anemic a very long time ago, took iron supplements and was fine again, but she wants to check to see if I'm anemic again.

lapushka
January 20th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I've had bloodwork done pretty recently and my thyroid was fine, but I'm getting it tested in a month again. I'm getting bloodwork for iron deficiency as soon as I find the time to go. I was anemic a very long time ago, took iron supplements and was fine again, but she wants to check to see if I'm anemic again.

Oooh, if it was a concern in the past, better keep an eye on it! Good luck; hope it's all fine and that it's just a phase from coming off of the pill. But that might skew your iron levels too! Anyway, good luck!

Syaoransbear
December 27th, 2020, 11:33 PM
Update:

I never figured out my shedding. My hair is only around APL now, and only a few wisps, because I can't get the rest to grow any longer. Most of my hair seems to grow to about 6 inches then falls out. My hair is 2" thick then begins tapering so quickly that there is just nothing left of it but a few tiny strands at APL. I think even if I cut it to a bob it would look thin because the hair on top doesn't reach that length.

Bat
December 28th, 2020, 12:18 AM
That really sounds like a hormone imbalance, what have the doctors said about it?

lakhesis
December 28th, 2020, 12:52 AM

Something that could give you a peace of mind - some progestin based birth control pills keep hair in the anagen (growing) phase for longer while you are on it. Therefore, if this is the case, you are not losing more hair now than what you would have if you were not on BC to begin with. It should of course normalize after a while.

Minoxidil can also do that, however it only works while you are taking it, as soon as you stop, you lose hair again. There is also some research MSM powder does the same, but it is very limited.