PDA

View Full Version : Need help. Or a miracle.

Seng
January 7th, 2018, 12:52 PM
First of all, I want to say i have been reading this forum for a while and i appreciate all of you for the effort you put in maintaining your hair.
I, however, have a real struggle with mine and frankly, i feel like i should wear a wig. I'm not good at describing but here it goes:
Hair Type:
Thin, fine, wavy (2 a,b, c), oily scalp.
Layered cut, longest strands reach almost BSL (wet) or APL (dry).
Fairytale tips (the step mother's) due to past bleaching and dye (about 6 cm). Very damaged, when i comb with a very wide tooth comb, they simply snap off.
Problems:
Apart from the damaged tips and oily roots i have encountered the following problem: the mid section is extremely greasy. Evan though roots are still ok, definitely not what i would consider oily, tips are somehow dry, but a bit oily, still the mid section which is healthy is terrible. Weaves don't stay nicely, hair is flat (i used to have a nice volume despite the fine thin hair), strands get stuck together and i can feel oil in it.
Note: I wash hair every other day, i shampoo twice at most washes, then condition just the damaged tips. Then put a little leave in which i also rinse to make sure it's not too much product on hair. About 3-4 times a month i do a pre-wash oiling.

Please, if u have any idea about what i can do about the oily mid section, i would appreciate.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 7th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Welcome here! :D Have you tried clarifying your hair? That's usually a good start to many hair problems.

Seng
January 7th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Hard to come by clarifying poo in Romania. Actually i'm going to wash my hair right now, the best thing i got in the house is some H&S. I don't know if it counts as clarify. I have been switching shampoos like mad hoping that something will make a difference, now it's the first time i try this H&S.

Dark40
January 7th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!:) Yeah, I would try clarify. Because, it does sound like you have product build up. That solves my hair problems, and also deep conditioning for the damaged ends. Also, you may want to try using some type of oil on the tips as well.

lapushka
January 7th, 2018, 01:06 PM
Yes, clarifying can do a world of good if your hair is misbehaving for unknown reasons.

Note: I wash hair every other day, i shampoo twice at most washes, then condition just the damaged tips. Then put a little leave in which i also rinse to make sure it's not too much product on hair. About 3-4 times a month i do a pre-wash oiling.

Please, if u have any idea about what i can do about the oily mid section, i would appreciate.

How do you wash? Do you massage the shampoo into your scalp really well? Suds it up nice?

Also if you use a sulfate shampoo, you might try going sulfate-free. Some people control their oil better with sulfates, others with sulfate-free. It is a bit of an experiment you'll have to do.

There are inexpensive sulfate-free shampoos in the drugstore. The L'Oréal Ever-- lines are sulfate-free. OGX is sulfate-free. Hask is sulfate-free and the Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo is sulfate-free.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 7th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Hard to come by clarifying poo in Romania. Actually i'm going to wash my hair right now, the best thing i got in the house is some H&S. I don't know if it counts as clarify. I have been switching shampoos like mad hoping that something will make a difference, now it's the first time i try this H&S.

I can't get it easily in NZ either, but I buy Joico clarifying shampoo online. It's not cheap but a little goes a long way, and I only need to use it once a month.

cathair
January 7th, 2018, 01:11 PM

If you can't find clarifying shampoo, try looking for swimmer's shampoo. It will work the same but also chelate. I don't think it could hurt in this situation. I hope you find something that works :)

Seng
January 7th, 2018, 02:24 PM
Anything from Joico is waaaay out of my budget. L'Oréal Ever, OGX, Husk and all other brands named are not available in my country, including any kind of swimmer poo. I tried once a sulphate free shampoo from a natural remedies store. Frizziest hair i ever had, had to condition twice to get my hand throw it.
Alpecin from the pharmacy, same result.
Nivea Hairmilk didn't even wash properly, it shouldn't be named shampoo.
A local brand, some anti hair fall poo, also doesn't wash.
Same local brand, anti dandruff poo, had ichtyol in it, the smell was horrible, first day was ok, second day i get the oily mid section.
LÓreal 3xArginine, first day is ok, 2nd day i get the oily mid section.
Herbosophy for oily scalp and dry ends, massive frizz first day, second day oily hair everywhere.
Now i tried H&S for the first time, i keep my fingers crossed.
Moving to conditioners:
Nivea Hairmilk, strands of hair stuck together, flat hair
Le Petit Marseillais a green one for damaged hair, same result
Pantene Perfect Curls, again, same result.
Current conditioner, Pantene Aqua Light foam seems ok-ish.

lapushka
January 7th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Nivea Hairmilk, I wondered about that - thanks for saying that, because I know it would be terrible with my SD (seborrheic dermatitis) when it doesn't cleanse enough.

Try the Pantene volumizing shampoo (sulfates but no silicones), or Aqua Light shampoo if you can get your hands on it. Those are pretty clarifying.

Obsidian
January 7th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Looks for a clear shampoo with no cones and sulfates, most will work for clarifying. For chelating, I mix a little citric powder (or you can use vit C tablets) into some shampoo, apply to damp hair, lather and let sit for 10 minutes.

akurah
January 7th, 2018, 06:21 PM
I suggest not shampooing twice.

Seng
January 9th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Update on my hair:
You opened my eyes with the clarifying solution. I didn't take it into consideration until posting here because i thought i couldn't have done something which could lead to product buildup.
I started looking into my behavior and i noticed i kept rearranging my hair, but not touching the roots. I was mostly pulling...you guess, the mid section! And due to some atopic dermatitis, i constantly apply creams and oils on my body and hands, so i was transferring them to my hair. It wasn't buildup from hair products, but from body products.
Thank you again, it would have taken me who knows how much time to realize. Now i keep my hair in a messy bun and i think i could pull off 3 days before washing.

lapushka
January 9th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Update on my hair:
You opened my eyes with the clarifying solution. I didn't take it into consideration until posting here because i thought i couldn't have done something which could lead to product buildup.
I started looking into my behavior and i noticed i kept rearranging my hair, but not touching the roots. I was mostly pulling...you guess, the mid section! And due to some atopic dermatitis, i constantly apply creams and oils on my body and hands, so i was transferring them to my hair. It wasn't buildup from hair products, but from body products.
Thank you again, it would have taken me who knows how much time to realize. Now i keep my hair in a messy bun and i think i could pull off 3 days before washing.

I'm glad we could help you shed some light on it! Good luck. :)