PDA

View Full Version : Help with Heidi Braids

Patty lou
March 22nd, 2008, 08:02 AM
I have worn Heidi braids for a long time, recently I have been wearing my braids in a braided bun.
I want to wear them in Heidi style (pinned across the top of my head) again.
The problem is my hair is now longer and I cannot hide the ends, it's not long enough to cross them at the nape, Need ideas on the ends.

Patty lou

thetokenlady
March 22nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Patty lou, I hope somebody answers this because I have the exact same problem. Too short to meet at the nape, too long to just tuck underneath the opposite braid.

angelthadiva
March 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Can someone show me what they look like? I did a version of what I :think: they look like on DD6 today, she has 27", nearly waist length hair...Whatever style I did on her, looked cute, but not sure if they are Heidi Braids...I will try to google and see if I can get a mental pic of them.

thetokenlady
March 23rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Hopefully we're talking about the same style. :p To me, Heidi braids are a braid on each side started near the ear, whether above or behind the ear, then wrapped up over the top of the head and pinned. If your hair is long enough, you can wrap the braids all the way down and cross them at the base of the neck. I think it also may be called a false crown braid?

The problem is, when I wrap the braids across the top, the ends of the braids reach well past the opposite ear, too long to tuck under, but they don't reach the nape yet.

Finoriel
March 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
You could try to do two Dutch braids beginning at your parting, following the line where the braids would be pinned, behind the ears you continue with an English braid cross them at the nape and tug the ends under the Dutch part of the braid on the other side...
Hope that makes sense :o itīs not my best day in explaining.

Oh the false crown braid is made with one long braid, more crown braid like than Heidi... I think :D

embee
March 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
I think I recall seeing a picture on the old LHC board where the tails were left hanging like little puppy-ears. There were either barettes or ribbons holding them in place where the braids started. If you're young enough that would be cute, but I think it would look pretty silly on me - I'm *old* so that makes a difference! ;)

heidihug
March 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
I've done Heidi braids (of course, my name is "Heidi"! :)) several times, and I find that this method always works: Put all of your hair into a ponytail at the very nape of your neck with an elastic that is the same color as your hair. Then split it and braid two braids, making sure to end in as little a braid as you can and secure with those tiny little elastics that look like the rubber bands that people use on their braces. Then wrap them around your crown, securing with bobby pins if necessary. Tuck or weave each end into the other braid - it works very nicely if you have a nice tight and small end on each. Bobby pin that area, if necessary, and hair spray a little bit to keep the "sticky-outies" smooth. It takes a few times practicing, but it's very cute and tidy. You can do this with any length hair, as I've done it from 24" on through the 48" I am now.

HairColoredHair
March 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Try taking a crochet hook and pulling the ends up into the braid... then you can wear it as normal?

angelthadiva
March 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Okay, I did tons of research last night on Heidi Braids, and what I attempted on DD6 was a Heidi Braid...As was mentioned in a previous post, she had the cute little tendrils at her ears. Her hair isn't long enough to wrap at the nape...

Today, I tried what was called a Tiara Braid. It's similar to the Heidi, but you only use the hair at the crown. Make a part down the middle, braid down the length, and bring up, criss cross the braids and pin down. I added cute little white butterfly claw clips across the top...It really did look like a Tiara...I left the back long and loose...Of course, I didn't take a picture, and it's all messed up now, but she love it, got tons of compliments on it...So, I'll have to replicate it...I will be sure to take pics this time!

Sorry, not advice, but at least I know what you are talking about now.

teela1978
March 23rd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Can you start your braids lower, closer to the nape?

Stagecoach
March 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
I start my braids down at the nape of my neck, so they're right close to eachother. Then I cross theml, bring them up and over as far as they will go, tuck and pin.

redhead_rachel
March 24th, 2008, 10:53 AM
I love wearing this style, I just pin my braids across myhead and then kinda fold and tuck the stray ends back uder the braid, and they generally stay put. sometimes they need a lil bit of wiggling in, but thats all I do.

Katze
March 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM
This is my very favorite updo, if we are talking about the same thing (my mom called it "a coronet" or "coronet braids" when she did them on my sis and I - "Heidi" braids to me are two side braids worn DOWN, like the little girl Heidi...)

Anyway, two upside down half-French or Dutch, half-normal braids pinned along the top of the head - this is my favorite updo and is really flattering.

1. Divide hair in half

2. Clip or elastic one half out of the way

3. Take the first half and braid the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 from below the ear, tugging snug UPSIDE DOWN as you go. It helps to look in the mirror occasionally but not all the time.

4. After the first "bump" or so of each section, start adding strands from the next, unbraided sections. I usually braid in about 1/3 of the braid like this - just as you'd do a French or Dutch braid, only upside down- then do the rest as a simple, normal braid.

5. either use a small elastic to contain the first braid or pin it out of the way.

6. Repeat steps 3-4 with the second half of your hair. Again, braiding snug, and tugging "upwards" - even leaning upside down - helps to get the braid to go in the right direction.

7. Pin braids to top of head as desired. I like to have them cross each other in the middle - adds more volume and interest to my thin braids - and I use the "long" bobby pins to secure the ends of the braids along the bases of each other, and to secure both to my scalp hair. Mini claw clips work too - I recently saw a woman with a whole "crown" of claw clips on top of her messy coronet of braids and it looked really nice.

Messy is also OK with this style, and you can change the look by how you pin the bases of the braids, too - either more volume behind the ears, or more height on top.
I often wear a plastic headband with this 'do when my bangs aren't behaving, too.

It does take practice but this 'do is well worth it, and looks so feminine and retro that it really is my favorite, even if I can't make the time to do it on every "bad hair" day.

thetokenlady
March 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I really like the idea of 2 braids off a nape ponytail, seems like it would work well for me. thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow!