PDA

View Full Version : Give up your lazy/go-to style challenge! (week, month, year, any length!)

megthehennahead
January 6th, 2018, 11:43 PM
I couldn't find a general thread for giving up whatever your own lazy or go-to style is, so let's start one! I did a challenge like this for August 2017, but this one is for any length of time you choose. Whether you're just looking to switch it up a little more or you need to give up a style that's causing some damage, here's your thread!

Let's support each other and keep each other accountable!

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102) is the updo-only challenge thread

megthehennahead
January 6th, 2018, 11:44 PM
I'm going to be giving up all ponytails. They always leave the hair that touches my neck/back super tangled, and that's where the majority of my damage is. Plus, I have too many pretty hair toys to be using the same 3 scrunchies every day.

FaerieKitty
January 7th, 2018, 12:41 AM
I've given up pony tails as of the end of 2017. I have been doing just that and lazy buns with no real shape (worth of messy buns but my hair is too slippery and fine for a good messy bun to hold) for years now. I've been braiding and learning new buns. Hair is just BSL so my buns aren't very interesting yet but they will get there soon. I finger combed and french braided my hair this morning. I can't wear down as it just becomes a tangled mess. My initial goal is all this month but hoping for the year and going forward to some variety of styles without getting into a rut.

Jas
January 7th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Good idea for a thread - I've definitely been just doing a nautilus and it's been my go to style.
I need to practice my french and dutch braids too so I might try to get myself to do some buns with that incorporated..

megthehennahead
January 7th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Welcome, FaerieKitty and Jas! I think I'll be rocking a lot of braids, but I need to get back into the groove of buns, too!

lapushka
January 8th, 2018, 05:32 AM
But but but... I love my lazy go-to style. :lol: ;)

No I think it's a wonderful idea, but I'm going to have to pass. I think I'll grow long in my LWB (lazy wrap bun).

victorian girl
January 8th, 2018, 05:48 AM
A ponytail seriously has to go. Hopefully, forever. I have a feeling that much of my damage in the past was due to the ends getting rubbed and caught everywhere. I've just noticed today that I can make a decent looking ponytail now, but I don't want to get used to it again. So that leaves me with a ponytail half pulled through, a peacock twist, two braids (when they become less tight - now I look like Pippi Longstocking with them) and half-ups and loose hair with a headband for special occasions only. Good luck to everyone here!

ETA: I also think that treating my hair like as it's already long will form positive "long-haired" habits early on and won't make me miss my current length in the future, since everything will stay the same (except for the length, ehehe):o

Beeboo123
January 8th, 2018, 11:51 AM
My lazy go-to style is a nautilus. Not giving that up, never!

Zesty
January 8th, 2018, 12:26 PM
ACK, you want me to give up my LWB?! My precious! :lol:

In all seriousness though, this might be a good idea for me to do for a week or so. My unbraided LWBs have been falling out lately anyway. :cry: I'd probably make an exception for when I'm lazing around the house in the evening though.

ETA: I also think that treating my hair like as it's already long will form positive "long-haired" habits early on and won't make me miss my current length in the future, since everything will stay the same (except for the length, ehehe):o

This is pretty much the best advice anyone aspiring to long hair, IMO. :)

Cg
January 8th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Cannot do. My wretchedly slick Houdini hair needs its go-to: braided, twisted spidermom's. And some days -- like today -- even that doesn't work. :violin::violin:

I'd be happy to give that up for some magical bun that always works, but life isn't Disneyesque.

Arctic
January 8th, 2018, 03:51 PM
I participated in the fall but recall half failing the challenge, he he. It was a cinnabun that I wanted to avoid then, and cinnabun still is my most often worn bun. I just don't have brain capacity to put into my hair styles now, and i need my trusty favourites, so I will pass this challenge at least for now. But good luck to everyone who joins!

AmaryllisRed
January 8th, 2018, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure I can do this... My go-to was a side braid. Good for sleeping, good for mom life, good for hats.
Oh BUT.
I don't know if it's just because I've gained some length or what but yesterday it kept getting stuck on my coat zipper. Ow!
So maybe I need to find some other styles that work well with hats and will avoid the dreaded zipper.
If anyone has any suggestions, hit me!
(For length, I'm between waist and hip.)

Groovy Granny
January 8th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Sorry, but I am fine with my low/loose ponytails and LWBs and have no damage from them, so I will pass on this one :o

OhSuzi
January 9th, 2018, 03:23 AM
haha! I need to do this - but I'm too lazy & disorganised - hair is finally long enough to just bung up out the way in messy bun.
Not done any thing else with my hair since!
Mainly because I don't have the time when getting ready for work in the morning!
Maybe I'll give it up a little bit - practice a different style or two at the weekends & then when I have become proficient at doing it quickly & neatly Ill start changing it up more regularly!

Dancing Giant
January 9th, 2018, 09:23 AM
This challenge is a very good idea. I participate in the updo-challenge as well and I want to give up my simple ponytails. If I do some braiding before putting my hair in a ponytail, that would be okay. Till the end of the year I will not do my go-to-style!

bparnell75
January 9th, 2018, 10:01 AM
My go to is a Spock bun on top or down low...Can't see me giving that one up even for a month. It just works for me. I do however like horizontal pha buns and mini Helix. Occasionally a LWB. So I am not sure what I would do instead as lots of dos are not good with my thin hair. SMILE

megthehennahead
January 9th, 2018, 09:52 PM
Welcome new challenge-takers! And thanks to all the supporters who aren’t participating themselves!

So far I’ve been good - I did a nautilus yesterday and a French braid today, but I have to consciously decide to get up a little earlier every morning so I can do my hair.

Lady Stardust
January 10th, 2018, 04:05 AM
This thread is a great idea as it has a double purpose - my hair is too short to wear up yet but I'm interested in noting other people's go to styles because they might be mine in the future!

FrayedFire
January 10th, 2018, 04:20 PM
I need to ease up on the braids and put my hair up in protective buns... 2018 will be the year of updos, I guess.

Robot Ninja
January 10th, 2018, 05:22 PM
but I have to consciously decide to get up a little earlier every morning so I can do my hair.

This is why I'm not participating. I have to get up too early as it is. My Gibraltar bun held with a CMW fork takes like thirty seconds.

megthehennahead
January 10th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Today’s style was a cinnabun held by an octopus clip. Probably the laziest hairstyle I’m allowing myself to do for this, but it’s just too dirty for anything else today.

megthehennahead
February 3rd, 2018, 06:38 PM
Ok, I've got to confess I broke my own rule a couple days ago and wore a high ponytail, but I was quickly rewarded with a headache, so I think my body is trying to tell me that my hair isn't the only part of me that doesn't like ponytails

AmaryllisRed
February 3rd, 2018, 07:28 PM
I was doing well but I did break down and do a quick side braid yesterday. It's just so quick and convenient!

megthehennahead
February 3rd, 2018, 07:39 PM
I was doing well but I did break down and do a quick side braid yesterday. It's just so quick and convenient!

seriously though, props to you for giving up side braids... I could not go without them.

AutobotsAttack
February 3rd, 2018, 11:32 PM
ohhh boy! Just the thread I needed. I went through a very very long year, last year, where I just went to bed with virtually nothing on my hair. Nothing. And it definitely showed. Ive slowly been nursing it back to health. Didn't lose any length, but boy was my hair dry, and I couldn't figure out the reason. So I will be giving up the privilege of allowing myself to get lazy, And I will also be giving up my main go-to style of a lazy wrap bun. While its extremely easy, I tend to suffer from overmanipulation in a certain area where I repeatedly bun, or part my hair. My hair does well in styles where its neatly together such as braided buns, or slightly more intricate buns that catch all the hair, and lock in moisture on my ends. The third thing I will be giving up as mentioned before is parting my hair in the exact same section all the time. This alone has caused some noticeable thinning from breakage in the middle of my hair towards the bottom. So from now on I will section with a horizontal part and detangle with my hair over one shoulder, instead of a vertical one going up and down the back of my head, and two parts going over both shoulders. We shall see how it goes.

megthehennahead
February 3rd, 2018, 11:46 PM
Welcome AutobotsAttack! I hadn't thought of giving up your usual part! I may have to join you on that one, as I'm seeing some thinning along my part as well!

AutobotsAttack
February 3rd, 2018, 11:54 PM
Welcome AutobotsAttack! I hadn't thought of giving up your usual part! I may have to join you on that one, as I'm seeing some thinning along my part as well!

worth a shot lol. I'm not too sure how well this is going to play out though, but I'm actually excited because I'm so used to parting down the middle constantly. Its practically a very hard-installed habit lol.

AmaryllisRed
February 4th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Ooh, I hadn't thought of parting.
I always part my hair on the right and I was getting some breakage on the LEFT where I'd pin back my bangs. So I'm trying to change that, too.

seriously though, props to you for giving up side braids... I could not go without them.

Oh thanks. It wasn't working well with my coat and its zipper, so it was a good one to give up. I've started doing more buns at home and more French or Dutch braids when I go out. It's been nice to break the cycle. :)

savannahfaery
February 4th, 2018, 11:46 PM
I pretty much always wear my hair down, so I'm going to wear my hair in some sort of updo for the next week! This idea has inspired me to finally try some new braids! :)

AutobotsAttack
February 18th, 2018, 05:49 PM
How’s the challenger going for everyone?

At the moment I’ve done a good job of putting my hair in different styles and not going straight for a lazy wrap, granted I still do it.

Still parting my hair down the middle... really tough habit to break.

Staying on top of going to bed with my hair protected, although I did miss a couple of nights recently.

megthehennahead
February 18th, 2018, 10:33 PM
I’ve just had the one slip! And my scalp was quick to retaliate so I’d say I learned my lesson!

Soulina
February 18th, 2018, 11:27 PM
Can I join with changing my sleeping hair do. I need to stop wearing my hair in loose braid while sleeping, my ends are suffering from it :( I ordered "silk" sleeping cap but is has not yet arrived) I just have no idea how to put my hair while sleeping

megthehennahead
February 18th, 2018, 11:51 PM
Of course! Have you tried bumming your hair for sleeping? I have to bun mine right on top of my head because I roll too much, but it can be a lot gentler on the ends.

Soulina
February 19th, 2018, 03:34 AM
Of course! Have you tried bumming your hair for sleeping? I have to bun mine right on top of my head because I roll too much, but it can be a lot gentler on the ends.

I plan to try this, now I just need to find best night bun for me. Maybe a braided cinnabun on top of my head?

Soulina
February 20th, 2018, 03:27 AM
I wore nautilus on top of my head last night (yes with a short hair stick) . I seemed to work pretty nice, and the stick was short enough not to hit pillow even if I slept on my side.

cjk
February 20th, 2018, 11:36 AM
My lazy style is actually free flowing. And I'm working to incorporate styles, so while I'm going the opposite direction of most in this thread, it's the same challenge for me.

I'm in.

megthehennahead
February 20th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I wore nautilus on top of my head last night (yes with a short hair stick) . I seemed to work pretty nice, and the stick was short enough not to hit pillow even if I slept on my side.

Awesome! I alternate between a cinnamon bun with a clip and a braid to sleep in. I'm glad it worked!

megthehennahead
February 20th, 2018, 12:54 PM
My lazy style is actually free flowing. And I'm working to incorporate styles, so while I'm going the opposite direction of most in this thread, it's the same challenge for me.

I'm in.

Yay, welcome!

Soulina
February 20th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Nautilus is just so easy and fast to do. It is my go to even during the day. Maybe I try cinnabun next night, last night was also nautilus on top of the head.

megthehennahead
February 20th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Nautilus is just so easy and fast to do. It is my go to even during the day. Maybe I try cinnabun next night, last night was also nautilus on top of the head.

Nautilus is one of my go-to buns as well, it's just so fast and secure with 1 stick!

Stray_mind
February 21st, 2018, 04:23 AM
I realized i can Braid half of my hair now, so i'm gonna wear my hair in various braided half ups, instead of just keeping it loose...

FrayedFire
March 17th, 2019, 05:10 PM
*revives*

I did it! I switched from obsession with braids to obsession with LWB. So fast and easy. 😍

...I need a new but still fairly simple bun for 2019. Suggestions?

AmaryllisRed
March 17th, 2019, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure I can do this... My go-to was a side braid. Good for sleeping, good for mom life, good for hats.
Oh BUT.
I don't know if it's just because I've gained some length or what but yesterday it kept getting stuck on my coat zipper. Ow!
So maybe I need to find some other styles that work well with hats and will avoid the dreaded zipper.
If anyone has any suggestions, hit me!
(For length, I'm between waist and hip.)

Oh this is awesome.
Fourteen months later and I'm between tailbone and classic and NEVER do side braids! I successfully broke the cycle! :cheer:
But I also feel like I reached a point where braids were really no more protective or convenient than wearing it loose.

Zesty
March 17th, 2019, 05:24 PM
*revives*

I did it! I switched from obsession with braids to obsession with LWB. So fast and easy. ��

...I need a new but still fairly simple bun for 2019. Suggestions?

How long is your hair? (And how thick?) The Celtic knot is one of my go-to simple buns. :) I also do figure 8s. And braided cinnamon buns, but I use clips for that.

FrayedFire
March 17th, 2019, 05:46 PM
How long is your hair? (And how thick?) The Celtic knot is one of my go-to simple buns. :) I also do figure 8s. And braided cinnamon buns, but I use clips for that.

Classic length, and not very thick. I'll have to check out the celtic knot... it would make sense for my heritage!

Zesty
March 17th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Classic length, and not very thick. I'll have to check out the celtic knot... it would make sense for my heritage!

Let us know how it goes! You should definitely have the length for it. Once you get it down it's very easy and secure. :)

Stray_mind
March 18th, 2019, 01:10 AM
Impossible to give up my pecock twists hahaha. Maybe i will give them up or use them less when my hair gets longer, but for now it works for me. And i have no time to do different styles anyway. :D

Groovy Granny
March 18th, 2019, 01:47 PM
I wondered what I said a year ago ~

Posted January 8,2018

Sorry, but I am fine with my low/loose ponytails and LWBs and have no damage from them, so I will pass on this one :o

And saw that nothing changed except I switched from LWBs to Nautilus buns :eye:

It's not gonna happen again this year either :rollin: