PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to trim or can I just S&D?

FrayedFire
January 6th, 2018, 11:27 PM
I prefer a fairytale hemline on myself, so can't I just go after the splits or is there some other benefit to dusting?

megthehennahead
January 6th, 2018, 11:29 PM
For true fairytale ends, S&D is plenty! You could dust if the ends get too wispy and thin for your taste, but you don't need to cut them unless there's damage or you're unhappy with them!

trolleypup
January 7th, 2018, 12:26 AM
You can always S&D. With fairlytale ends, it is the only thing that works

Sarahlabyrinth
January 7th, 2018, 01:40 AM
S & D is generally just fine.

lapushka
January 7th, 2018, 04:46 AM
If your hair isn't riddled with splits (like half the hair) or white dots, then S&D is just fine for the odd split, otherwise, do trim little by little instead.

Hairkay
January 7th, 2018, 05:51 AM
I prefer a fairytale hemline on myself, so can't I just go after the splits or is there some other benefit to dusting?

Sure you can.

Chromis
January 7th, 2018, 06:32 AM
You can do as you please (or as your hair hair pleases!)

There are people here who trim regularly, who just s&d, lots who do a combination, and some who do no trims at all.

Dark40
January 8th, 2018, 04:30 PM
S & D will be fine.

curlily
January 8th, 2018, 07:51 PM
If your hair isn't riddled with splits (like half the hair) or white dots, then S&D is just fine for the odd split, otherwise, do trim little by little instead.

What are the white dots about? Are they break points?
Also, has anyone noticed that shedding hair has a dot at the end?

Wavybrunetteuk
January 8th, 2018, 08:13 PM
I agree on S&Ding if the damage is just here and there. You don't need to trim unless you're really unsatisfied with your ends and hem.

FrayedFire
January 9th, 2018, 01:56 AM
I love my hem, that's why I hate trimming--it always ruins it. My hair has splits, but no more at the ends than through the length. I was actually very tempted by the "splitender" thing because it basically would do the same thing, just a lot faster. Very glad to know that I can get away without really trimming, the S&D takes care of it!

FrayedFire
January 9th, 2018, 02:03 AM
For true fairytale ends, S&D is plenty! You could dust if the ends get too wispy and thin for your taste, but you don't need to cut them unless there's damage or you're unhappy with them!

There's some damage, but I'm growing it out little by little rather than chopping it off. It's not too bad, I've done henna on the length of what's left of when I used to dye it, but it's not like... bleach damage or anything severe, so I'd rather just hang on to it, it just needs some extra care.

megthehennahead
January 9th, 2018, 09:47 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan! Keep on microtrimming as you feel comfortable and I think you’ll be fine!

lapushka
January 10th, 2018, 10:14 AM
What are the white dots about? Are they break points?
Also, has anyone noticed that shedding hair has a dot at the end?

No white dots make the hair hang at a straight angle. It is a breaking point *in* the hair itself. We are not talking about the white bulb at the end of a shed hair, which is normal.

Charjonesxoxo
January 22nd, 2018, 02:33 PM
I don’t want to trim or cut my hair this year at all just take really good care of it, but I keep finding that hair is breaking off of, not a lot maybe 3-10 strands a day but if I leave it and take good care of it will the damaged hair eventually shead or break off?

FrayedFire
February 1st, 2018, 09:47 PM
I recently learned that if a split is visible, the hair is damaged above where you can see it, and microscopic splits can't be seen, which is the strongest case I've seen for trimming.

There is this product called the Splitender that is a little scary, but I am so tempted because it would be exactly the kind of maintenance tool I would want, something that takes off 1/8 of the tips of the hair, not just the hem. Of course, it's not cheap.