PDA

View Full Version : Noticeable thinner hair on right side- what to do?

Bluecardigan
January 6th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Hello there!
This has probably been discussed before, my apologies it that's the case.

My hair is like the title says, noticeable thinner on the right side of my head. I can both see it (particulary when the hair is wet) and feel it when I comb it or braid it etc. Hairdressers have also confirmed it. My hair is fine and somewhere on the lower end of average. My haircare routine is mostly WO and now and then WCC, sometimes oil my ends, detangle with a wide-tooth comb and sleep on a satin pillowcase. I excercise, eat quite healthy and is not stressed,, at the moment :p.

I should also add that this is not a new thing, it has been like this for many years, I suspect it's because of my sleep habits- I'always sleep on my right side, and if I try to sleep on my left, I will always wake with a terrible ache in my back and neck.
Do you have any ideas of what I can do to prevent the thinning?

lapushka
January 6th, 2018, 01:40 PM
If it concerns you that much, I would go see a dermatologist and see what s/he thinks of it.

Can you see through it (baldness), because then I'd definitely go!

I also always sleep on one side, but that hasn't made my hair go thin. Yes my hair (and the hair of many others) is thinner on one side than the other, but that is completely normal. But I take it that's not what this is about?

You can't prevent thinning. If you eat well, and take your vitamins, then you can't do more.

Obsidian
January 6th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Have your tried a sleep cap? If your hair is delicate and you wiggle around much at night, it can cause breakage. I'd get a good silk sleep cap and give that a try for a few months.

If you hair seems to be shedding and not breaking, then yes, go see a derm.

diddiedaisy
January 6th, 2018, 03:24 PM
My hairs naturally thinner on the left side, but since I’ve been using a silk pillowcase it has improved over time. I always wear it up for bed too. I’m a stomach sleeper and tend to lie on the left side of my head!!!!

If your hair naturally grows like that and there are no specific health issues there’s not really much you can do about it. You can however be careful with how you treat that side so as not to encourage breakage.

I highly recommend a silk pillowcase, it has done wonders for my baby fine fragile hair.

Good luck :)

yahirwaO.o
January 6th, 2018, 03:34 PM
My hair is thinner on the right and honestly I think anyone's hair is thicker on one side than the other. Body's simmetry is not perfect at all, same premise goes for hair too.

The only way to match the fullness of your hair is trimming. You are not alone in this, a lot of of people suffer from this at different levels. If its breakeage then try to be more gentle with that side of your hair.

If you are thinning or balding go to doctors, otherwise there's not actual reason to worry. :)

Bluecardigan
January 8th, 2018, 12:53 AM
Thank you for your replies! :)

I guess that it is just normal "one side is thinner than the other", since there are no bald spots, and no abnormal shedding from my right side of the head. Just maybe 2/3 of the hair thickness compared to the left side of my head. ( and a little more breakage at the front cause it's most thin there ). I think the best course of action would be to buy a silk pillowcase and/or a silk sleep cap and try that for a couple of months, since it has been like this for almost as long as I can remember (and I'm not panicking about it lol). Then go see a doctor if there's no improvement.
Thanks again your advices! :)

lapushka
January 8th, 2018, 04:08 AM
Thank you for your replies! :)

I guess that it is just normal "one side is thinner than the other", since there are no bald spots, and no abnormal shedding from my right side of the head. Just maybe 2/3 of the hair thickness compared to the left side of my head. ( and a little more breakage at the front cause it's most thin there ). I think the best course of action would be to buy a silk pillowcase and/or a silk sleep cap and try that for a couple of months, since it has been like this for almost as long as I can remember (and I'm not panicking about it lol). Then go see a doctor if there's no improvement.
Thanks again your advices! :)

It is fairly normal to have one side that is thinner than the other - I wouldn't worry. A lot of people have that.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 8th, 2018, 06:44 AM
I have it. I wish I didn't, but - there you are, I think it's a pretty common thing.

lapushka
January 8th, 2018, 07:19 AM
Yes, my left side is about 2/3 of what my right side is. It's normal.

If we're not talking about excessive shedding and more thinning than that, no worries.

Mega Moose
January 8th, 2018, 08:42 AM
You may have thought of this already and forgive me if you have, but I've heard that sometimes long hair can get thinner on the side that someone wears their purse strap. It could be a normal thing you can't do much about like everyone else said, but I thought I'd throw that in there too since it hasn't been mentioned yet. :)

Bluecardigan
January 8th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Well, at least I'm not worried about it anymore. It can hopefully become a little bit thicker over time with a good haircare routine, careful detangling and a silk pillowcase/ sleep cap. Fingers crossed! :)
And good advice Mega Moose, but I only wear a rucksack and never a purse. My hair is not long by lhc standard (not yet APL-lenght) but I try to be careful and watch out when putting the seat belt on etc, to prevent future breakage. :)

Beeboo123
January 8th, 2018, 11:57 AM
My hair refuses to part down the middle, so my left side is thicker than my right.