PDA

View Full Version : Hair Goal Question - Hip+ French Braid?

megthehennahead
January 5th, 2018, 10:56 PM
So as I've gotten more involved in LHC (and spent more hours than I'm willing to admit ogling beautiful long hair) my hair goals have evolved, and the most recent incarnation is for my hair long enough that a French braid reaches at least HL.

My question, dear longhairs, is about what milestone (loose) would equate to hip (French braided)? I figure that going by milestones is going to be the best way to estimate how long it'll take to reach this goal.

Thanks in advance! :o

akurah
January 5th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Probably past knee. Assuming I am remembering right. When I was knee, my braids were bit higher than hip, closer to waist. It may vary by body proportions too.

Simsy
January 5th, 2018, 11:07 PM
Depends on how tightly you braid, and how thick/curly your hair is. I’m nearly classic loose, and my braids are just past hip if I braid loosely. Braided tighter, I might be just above hip.

megthehennahead
January 5th, 2018, 11:17 PM
I like to braid pretty tight... my hair is just past hip loose, and my French braid is about mid back. English braid goes almost to waist so if I can just train myself to do the French braids a little looser...

ThrowNormanAway
January 6th, 2018, 12:18 AM
This is something I like to keep an eye on too, cause I never wear my hair loose so milestones only really mean as much to me as they can appear from an outside perspective (if that makes sense, like it obviously only matters to me personally but I just like to stay a bit objective when imagining how I look and wether the goals are truly met or need altering). Anyways, my hair just reached TBL in the last few months and finally the end of my tassel is consistently reaching hip or just above hip depending on the tightness of the braid.

akurah
January 6th, 2018, 12:37 AM
I am definitely mis-remembering based on the responses, or my concept of hip is lower than where hip actually is considered to be.

hayheadsbird
January 6th, 2018, 04:22 AM
A loose English braid tassle is just hitting waist on my waist + loose hair. Tighter plait means bsl.

Nique1202
January 6th, 2018, 04:48 AM
I am definitely mis-remembering based on the responses, or my concept of hip is lower than where hip actually is considered to be.

Hip here is usually considered the top of the hip bones on your sides, between waist and bcl. You may be thinking of it as the hip bones on the front, which are usually closer to bcl or tailbone at the top and near classic at the bottom.

As for how long hair has to be to have an [x] length braid, it really depends on where your milestones are. Every body has different proportions. So, if your loose hair is at the level now that you want your braid, take how many inches your hair "shrinks" in the braid now, and add that and one or two extra for the braiding shrinkage in that length, and that will be how much more you need to grow.

PixieP
January 6th, 2018, 05:36 AM
I'm at BCL, and my braid tassel just reaches BCL when I have it in a french braid. Photo proof:
https://i.imgur.com/onh2gwZ.jpg
(it's a dutch braid, not a french braid, but that doesn't affect the length :P)

So if you mean hip as in the top of the hip bones, you'll need to be between hip and BCL, but it also depends on how thick your hair is, how much it compacts, how much you pancake your braid etc. My length doesn't shrink a lot when I braid, but that is different for everyone, If you mean hip as the hip sockets, then you need quite a bit more length, mid thight length at the least.

leayellena
January 6th, 2018, 05:42 AM
I never pancake my braids and I can tell my hair reaches a bit over hip bones but my braid tassel reaches barely the length between waist and hip length. If you check out the German version of LHC there is the coccyx bone length officially noted.

megthehennahead
January 6th, 2018, 10:13 PM
leayellena where is the German LHC?

I need to get a pic of where my French braid tail ends, but like I said I tend to braid fairly tight (dumb layers :rolleyes:)

leayellena
January 7th, 2018, 04:34 AM
leayellena where is the German LHC?

I need to get a pic of where my French braid tail ends, but like I said I tend to braid fairly tight (dumb layers :rolleyes:)

http://www.langhaarnetzwerk.de/phpBB3/

Ariel love
February 22nd, 2018, 08:00 AM
French braid where the thing which motivated to growing out my hair.

MusicalSpoons
February 23rd, 2018, 01:10 PM
For me (F/M, ii) a French braid eats maybe a couple of inches of length, and an English braid an inch. I've always braided tightly. Though my ends are significantly thinner than the top half of my hair, so if yours has less taper it'll eat more length.

*Wednesday*
February 23rd, 2018, 03:27 PM
Oh, so pretty

https://i.imgur.com/onh2gwZ.jpg
(it's a dutch braid, not a french braid, but that doesn't affect the length :P)