PDA

View Full Version : advice on my routine

chiapommama
January 5th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Hi all! Just wanted to share my routine with you and get your opinions I'm a newbie I wash my hair twice a week right now I wash and condition twice with pantene and use the moisture renewal leave in I try to clarify at least once a month I've tried oiling but made my hair matte and like a brillo pad also while my hair is drying I spray diluted monistat on my scalp deep condition with just random stuff I come up with sometimes My hair is on the fence with protein Most of the time it gets crunchy with too much I think my hair is 2 b I search and destroy split ends and bad hairs when I can I am bsl stretched I also take a multivitamin biotin 10000 mcg ,garlic,ran out of msm, 1000mg fish oil, and started back diatomaceous earth do you all think this is good or is there anything I need to do different or change or anything to add to it to help my hair ? Sorry this is so long would appreciate your input and opinions

Corvana
January 5th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Hi all! Just wanted to share my routine with you and get your opinions. I'm a newbie. I wash my hair twice a week right now, I wash and condition twice with pantene and use the moisture renewal leave in. I try to clarify at least once a month. I've tried oiling but made my hair matte and like a brillo pad. also while my hair is drying I spray diluted monistat on my scalp, deep condition with just random stuff I come up with sometimes. My hair is on the fence with protein. Most of the time it gets crunchy with too much. I think my hair is 2 b. I search and destroy split ends and bad hairs when I can. I am bsl stretched. I also take a multivitamin, biotin 10000 mcg ,garlic,ran out of msm, 1000mg fish oil, and started back diatomaceous earth. do you all think this is good, or is there anything I need to do different, or change, or anything to add to it to help my hair? Sorry this is so long would appreciate your input and opinions.

I apologize for editing your post in my reply, but I'm dyslexic and have ADHD and tend to rely on punctuation to keep my place when reading. Otherwise I get lost and will read the same thing a dozen times or more! I probably overuse it while typing myself, but that's because I just hate getting lost when I'm writing.

OK SO! Your wash routine sounds fine, I suppose? I've found Pantene shampoos to be much too harsh, even diluted. They're very strong, and it was fine for a little while, but soon I was getting a very itchy scalp. That stopped when I swapped to a more gentle one (and also went sulfate and silicone free, which may have also helped in general). I've also found Pantene conditioners to not be moisturizing enough! But again, that's me.

What type of oil did you use? Not everyone can use the same oils, we all react differently to them. There are a handful that seem to be well received by most (jojoba, avocado, camelia) from what I've seen, but no oil is a one-size-fits-all scenario. Some people even use mineral oils!

If your hair is wavy, it probably wants a ton of moisture. Protein seems like you only need on a rare basis, which is pretty good I think! I believe to a point you can balance out too much protein with more moisture, and vice versa, but there is likely a line where that's no longer the case. But it's something to keep in mind if you overdo it on the protein! And if you don't feel you need more moisture in general, then awesome! That's just generally my first thought :laugh: Clarifying, and adding moisture!

That's a lot of supplements in my personal opinion, but if you're not having any side effects it's probably fine? I don't honestly know, I'm not a doctor. I also don't really know anything about monistat for hair, so I can't help with that either.

akurah
January 5th, 2018, 11:03 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding your post as well, but it sounds like on the days you do wash, you shampoo and condition twice? If that is so, I suggest that you stop that. Shampooing once is more than adequate.

If you only wash twice a week, clarifying once a month may be too frequent. I would honestly stop clarifying at all, but if you must, go to every few months.

HaMalka
January 7th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Advice for what I could understand of your post.

"My hair is on the fence with protein Most of the time it gets crunchy with too much" You might want to stop with using protein if it does not work for you.
"deep condition with just random stuff I come up with sometimes" Figure out what works for you through repeated uses of the same thing and choose whatever worked best and stick with it.

You may want to try doing less stuff to it over all and be benignly neglectful.

lapushka
January 7th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Hi all! Just wanted to share my routine with you and get your opinions I'm a newbie I wash my hair twice a week right now I wash and condition twice with pantene and use the moisture renewal leave in I try to clarify at least once a month I've tried oiling but made my hair matte and like a brillo pad also while my hair is drying I spray diluted monistat on my scalp deep condition with just random stuff I come up with sometimes My hair is on the fence with protein Most of the time it gets crunchy with too much I think my hair is 2 b I search and destroy split ends and bad hairs when I can I am bsl stretched I also take a multivitamin biotin 10000 mcg ,garlic,ran out of msm, 1000mg fish oil, and started back diatomaceous earth do you all think this is good or is there anything I need to do different or change or anything to add to it to help my hair ? Sorry this is so long would appreciate your input and opinions

You don't have to oil too much, just a little will do. Also, you don't have to oil the scalp - that might help.

Your routine sounds fine to me so far!

*Wednesday*
January 7th, 2018, 11:27 AM

I agree with the other's.....I would not clarify unless it was needed. Clarifying strips the hair and yes, you would need to deeply moisturize after. It is not normal for hair to be "crunchy." Could be an urban legend, but when I was younger, my hairdresser told me not to use Pantene for my hair type. It coats and my hair is fine. I have 2b hair as well. However, it was never crunchy from Pantene. I oil, but only the length. It does not put moisture into the hair but seals in moisture presently there. However, you have the crunch factor.

Okay, that 1000 mcg biotin, unless you have a deficiency, is not necessary, in my opinion unless your doctor prescribed. Biotin should be taken with other B-Complex vitamins. Too much of it in your system can block other vitamins from being absorbed. Also, your body makes it (Biotin known a.k.a. Vitamin H) and is very rare for a person to be deficient of it. Taking high amounts of it does NOT make it grow faster. MSM is a sulfur and is fine at 1000mcg (also does NOT make hair grow faster), make sure it is high quality like OptiMSM. MSM ingredients from China, is not good. The multivitamin is enough.

lapushka
January 7th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Yep I seldomly clarify with a true clarifying shampoo.

I do however weekly wash, and I weekly wash with a sulfate shampoo (so in a sense I do clarify each wash because a sulfate will clarify on its own). It won't hurt, but if it's not strictly necessary I would not do it. Washing with a sulfate is more than enough.