PDA

View Full Version : Hair destroyed...needing serious advice

Red*Life
January 5th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Towards the middle of November I went in asking to have my roots touched up as they were quite dark and I was heading on vacation. My hair was perfect besides that. I walked out of there losing 4 inches (was supposed to be 1) with dark brown hair (vs medium brown). I used a tip I'd received from another stylist and washed it with Selsun Blue/baking soda which faded it but not enough. Went back in to have her "fix" it. She is one of the best colorists but really botched my hair. She highlighted it to the extreme and lightened it to try to downplay how dark it was - I now have light brown/blonde hair. My hair is low back vs. hip length now and does not like me at all. It feels rough and dull, and I am just heartboken over it. You'd think after a month and a half I could deal, but I can't. My hair is very fine and has always broken easy, but if I washed/conditioned I was ok and it looked nice. Now I can't seem to do anything to help it. I've tried Joico K-Pak deep conditioning for color treated hair once per week. Also added in Hask Argan oil. I also started 90 minute Olaplex treatments last week. From what I can find I'm guessing the baking soda may have opened up the hair cuticle but not sure. I'm thinking maybe the protein is also too much for my hair? Never used it before.

I guess what I'm asking is if someone has been through this and can recommend products for me? Shampoo, Conditioner, Leave in, mask, whatever! I don't want to spend a fortune but with my hair so long I'm willing to do what is needed at this point to save it! I've seen a lot of tips on Life Proof shampoo, DevaCurl, and then Garnier Fructise. Just really don't know where to ask for help and my mind is going in circles from what I can find googling. I have a gal trying to add some color back into my hair in a few weeks (I waited a few months because I wanted to let my hair chill) I just don't want to make it worse going in if it's still super dry. TIA

Kellylee
January 5th, 2018, 11:51 AM
I love the joico moisture(it’s the blue bottle) it’s a 10 leave in and mask and Moroccan oil. Sometimes protein can make hair feel worst. I hope it gets better I’m so sorry that happened to you in the first place.

Red*Life
January 5th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I love the joico moisture(it’s the blue bottle) it’s a 10 leave in and mask and Moroccan oil. Sometimes protein can make hair feel worst. I hope it gets better I’m so sorry that happened to you in the first place. Is the Moroccan Oil a brand or a type of oil? I've seen the Moroccan hair masks so just want to make sure it's the same stuff.

racheldelrey
January 5th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I'm so sorry you've had a bad experience and it's taking you a while to recover! I completely understand.

Have you tried cholesterol? I used it on my dry, frizzy, broken hair after I combed my dreadlocks out. Leave it in your hair for a couple hours! Also the Mystic Divine nourishing masks works wonders!

Reservechic
January 5th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I would definitely recommend making an appointment at the salon (either the same one you went to or possibly a different one-the choice is up to you), and explaining to them what happened to your hair, so that way, they can best remedy the problem for you. Oh, and anytime you go to the salon, and the work done done to your hair is un-satisfactory to your liking, definitely speak up ASAP. So, that way, the correction can be made as soon as possible, and you'll definitely up getting exactly what you want. Customer satisfaction should always come first!

Kellylee
January 5th, 2018, 03:37 PM
It’s a brand but it’s pretty pricey. I’ve heard there is a dupe called one n only. It’s Argan oil I can’t give my personal opinion on the dupe but I love the Moroccan oil brand.

lapushka
January 5th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I'd do a dedicated protein treatment. Follow this up with a deep conditioner (any brand is good, so don't spend too much). The Garnier Whole Blends line of masks is really good and not expensive.

You can still use the products you have. What do you use regularly?

yamsha23
January 5th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Same happened to me here a few weeks ago... I'm trying to find a treatment that works, my hair is tangled, dry, keeps breaking. I'm returning to silicone conditioners as I can't untangle my hair after shower... :headache:
Today I did a gelatin treatment, I'll tell you if it helps. It's my favorite mask with the snowymoon's, it has always left my hair sooo soft

Red*Life
January 5th, 2018, 04:42 PM
I'd do a dedicated protein treatment. Follow this up with a deep conditioner (any brand is good, so don't spend too much). The Garnier Whole Blends line of masks is really good and not expensive.

You can still use the products you have. What do you use regularly?

I have been using Redken's All Soft but it is doing nothing for my hair. I keep hearing about Garnier over the expensive brands so I'm leaning towards trying it. The other ones I'd been told may help are Bumble & Bumble, DevaCurl, and Living Proof. The past month I've added in some Hask Argon Oil, Joico K-Pak, and just started OlaPlex. I think the K-Pak worked the first week and then ever since seems to not be helping at all. I was thinking it might be too much protein for my hair but honestly I've never worried about my hair before so I'm not really positive. I've always been lucky enough to just wing it, but this time that doesn't seem to be working! I was thinking about trying cholesterol like

I'm so sorry you've had a bad experience and it's taking you a while to recover! I completely understand.

Have you tried cholesterol? I used it on my dry, frizzy, broken hair after I combed my dreadlocks out. Leave it in your hair for a couple hours! Also the Mystic Divine nourishing masks works wonders!

so thought I'd go shopping tonight maybe for it. I was also recommended the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 mask but don't know much about it either which is why I was looking for recommendations on here. I'm not concerned on pricey if I can save my hair! I know it'll have to be babied for a few years til all this bleaching grows out :(
Same happened to me here a few weeks ago... I'm trying to find a treatment that works, my hair is tangled, dry, keeps breaking. I'm returning to silicone conditioners as I can't untangle my hair after shower... :headache:
Today I did a gelatin treatment, I'll tell you if it helps. It's my favorite mask with the snowymoon's, it has always left my hair sooo soft

And I'm really interested to hear about how the gelatin treatment works! I've always had very fine hair, but long. However, this is the worst shape I've ever had it in - dry/brittle/splitting. Also, this will probably sound silly but do any of the split end sealers really work? I know not long term but wondered if using it constantly would help get the locks to grow out without so many trims? I really want to get my hair back to HL from what's now between mid back length and waist length, then I'll work on getting it back to all one length (she also tapered it up to almost my shoulder in the front where it was all one length before. Not sure how long it will take but guessing 8 months-1 year to get the total length back?

lapushka
January 5th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I have been using Redken's All Soft but it is doing nothing for my hair. I keep hearing about Garnier over the expensive brands so I'm leaning towards trying it. The other ones I'd been told may help are Bumble & Bumble, DevaCurl, and Living Proof. The past month I've added in some Hask Argon Oil, Joico K-Pak, and just started OlaPlex. I think the K-Pak worked the first week and then ever since seems to not be helping at all. I was thinking it might be too much protein for my hair but honestly I've never worried about my hair before so I'm not really positive. I've always been lucky enough to just wing it, but this time that doesn't seem to be working! I was thinking about trying cholesterol like

I would not spend money on expensive brands, they aren't any "better" than drugstore; if your hair is damaged it needs specialty care, and protein is the one thing I can think of. Follow it up with a nice deep moisture treatment and it should be fine.

How does your hair feel? Mushy? Dry and crunchy/brittle?

Maybe it's been overprocessed; you went through process over process, so of course it can take a while to recover from. Give your hair some time and try not to wash it too much in the mean time.

yamsha23
January 6th, 2018, 02:13 AM
And I'm really interested to hear about how the gelatin treatment works! I've always had very fine hair, but long. However, this is the worst shape I've ever had it in - dry/brittle/splitting.
So! Update about the gelatin mask of yesterday evening: I swear to God my hair is soft like baby hair (it was crunchy, dry, and breaking yesterday), I haven't seen it like this for a long time. So this is the first mask post-salon disaster that finally does something (tried expensive store masks, did nothing)...
I followed mommypotamus' recipe (https://www.mommypotamus.com/gelatin-hair-mask/), choosing as alternative to water half a banana:
Instead of 1/3 cup of water I simply blended half a banana with one tablespoon of water. Put the mixture on the stove (low heat) adding to it one tablespoon of gelatin and stirring for a minute or two for the gelatin to melt, removing from heat, waiting for it to cool, then adding 1 tbsp of honey, 1 tbsp of ACV et 10 drops of Rosemary essential oil (or any EO that you like for hair). After the shower when hair is clean (but no conditionner please!) leave the mask on your hair for 30 minutes (no more), under a cap, then rinse.
That's it! I hope that you try it, the gelatin I use I got from Iherb: Here (https://il.iherb.com/pr/Great-Lakes-Gelatin-Co-Collagen-Hydrolysate-Collagen-Joint-Care-Beef-16-oz-454-g/52774) and what a coincidence there is a sale on it right now

I would not spend money on expensive brands, they aren't any "better" than drugstore; if your hair is damaged it needs specialty care, and protein is the one thing I can think of. Follow it up with a nice deep moisture treatment and it should be fine.

Totally agree with you Lapushka, even if she shouldn't buy garbage, there are totally affordable brands that do the job. The price often comes from brand reputation, fancy packaging and advertising expenses. But I also ask myself the question: How can an artificial hair mask done in a factory in a few minutes or seconds in multiples of 10000+ be more effective and nutritive than a homemade natural mask?

From today on I'll try to alternate between a moisturizing (snowymoon) and a protein treatment (gelatin) once a week after shower.

yamsha23
January 7th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Update: Hair still super soft and silky.

lapushka
January 7th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Totally agree with you Lapushka, even if she shouldn't buy garbage, there are totally affordable brands that do the job. The price often comes from brand reputation, fancy packaging and advertising expenses. But I also ask myself the question: How can an artificial hair mask done in a factory in a few minutes or seconds in multiples of 10000+ be more effective and nutritive than a homemade natural mask?

From today on I'll try to alternate between a moisturizing (snowymoon) and a protein treatment (gelatin) once a week after shower.

Oh, I would DIY if I could, but I just find a store bought mask so much easier... and less messy. And that really is key here.

chiapommama
January 7th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Yeah those gelatin masks are pretty nice . I did one one time and my hair was nice and so shiny. Alternating protein and moisture is always good to do .gotta find that balance. What ever makes your hair feel good and look good keep doing it.

divinedobbie
January 7th, 2018, 06:35 PM

so thought I'd go shopping tonight maybe for it. I was also recommended the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 mask but don't know much about it either which is why I was looking for recommendations on here. I'm not concerned on pricey if I can save my hair! I know it'll have to be babied for a few years til all this bleaching grows out :(

And I'm really interested to hear about how the gelatin treatment works! I've always had very fine hair, but long. However, this is the worst shape I've ever had it in - dry/brittle/splitting. Also, this will probably sound silly but do any of the split end sealers really work? I know not long term but wondered if using it constantly would help get the locks to grow out without so many trims? I really want to get my hair back to HL from what's now between mid back length and waist length, then I'll work on getting it back to all one length (she also tapered it up to almost my shoulder in the front where it was all one length before. Not sure how long it will take but guessing 8 months-1 year to get the total length back?

I REALLY like that mask. It hasn't worked miracles in terms of magically fixing my hair but it makes it really soft and manageable so it doesn't break as much. I'm in the exact same position as you, tried to tweak a colour and ended up with something I didn't like, went back to have that reversed and it was even worse. I did end up doing it myself the third time and now I like it enough to grow it out without touching it but I lost some 4 inches in the process. Things I would recommend are: if you're not already switch to a sulphate free or a gentle sulphate shampoo. Do NOT try baking soda etc if you end up with dark hair again because that and dish soap trying to lighten my hair ended up doing more damage than the dye itself. And in general, try to wear it up, detangle gently, hair masks (I do gelatine with plain water and it works great).

divinedobbie
January 7th, 2018, 06:37 PM
I ended up trying a lot of expensive brands to save my hair and honestly nothing did much. I wouldn't go too crazy. I tried the Joico K-pak line, Red ken, Matrix, Kenra, Chi, etc and the only thing I ended up with was a Biolage conditioner by coincidence.

OhSuzi
January 8th, 2018, 08:51 AM
So sorry you've had such a crap experience.
Id give your hair a break for a good few months from any random products other than a basic washing routine with nice conditioners.

All the hair dye & highlights will prob have done quie a bit of damage - whilst it might not be the same as before, your natural oils & the conditioners & trims as it grows are gonna help.

If you grow roughly 6 ins of hair per year its prob gonna take 5 years to replace all that hair - you could either take this as an opportunity to go wild & dye it bright purple (Pantones colour of the year ultra violet) with a gentle vegetable dye seeing as it's already damaged an / or chop it all off & go for a fresh start wit ha new style.

Or wait it out it may take 5 or so years to grow back but each year you could get rid of 6 ins of damage & it'd be replaced with 6 ins of healthy virgin hair at the top.

Red*Life
January 24th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Update: Hair still super soft and silky.

I am going to try this one this weekend! I am glad to say although my hair is destroyed last week I had a hairdresser I know add in some lowlights to offset all the blonde so I can at least look in the mirror. It's not the same color I used to have before destroyed but at least it's much closer and I'm not so blonde which totally washed me out. She also convinced me to buy Redken Extreme shampoo/conditioner although it does have sulphates, she said it was the best she knew of for the amount of damage she was seeing. I've been using Olaplex 3 weekly for at least 90 minutes as well as oiling with Sweet Almond Oil and Argan Oil. However, a few nights ago I tried Olive Oil just for a half hour as I heard it could be greasy and my hair is really fine. I am beyond ecstatic to say after 2 months of my hair feeling crunchy, breaking, and splitting it feels like normal hair again!!! It's still a little drier than normal but really hardly noticeable and that always happens in the winter with all the indoor heat anyways. I am not sure if it was the shampoo and conditioner, using the Olive Oil, or if it just got babied enough the combinations worked but I am over the moon right now! One thing this taught me is I will start going back to my virgin hair, and I will...for the first time in my life...know how to take care of my hair. Only drawback is this lesson will probably be 5 years or more to fully correct :(

jenni626yz
January 24th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Towards thloe middle of November I went in asking to have my roots touched up as they were quite dark and I was heading on vacation. My hair was perfect besides that. I walked out of there losing 4 inches (was supposed to be 1) with dark brown hair (vs medium brown). I used a tip I'd received from another stylist and washed it with Selsun Blue/baking soda which faded it but not enough. Went back in to have her "fix" it. She is one of the best colorists but really botched my hair. She highlighted it to the extreme and lightened it to try to downplay how dark it was - I now have light brown/blonde hair. My hair is low back vs. hip length now and does not like me at all. It feels rough and dull, and I am just heartboken over it. You'd think after a month and a half I could deal, but I can't. My hair is very fine and has always broken easy, but if I washed/conditioned I was ok and it looked nice. Now I can't seem to do anything to help it. I've tried Joico K-Pak deep conditioning for color treated hair once per week. Also added in Hask Argan oil. I also started 90 minute Olaplex treatments last week. From what I can find I'm guessing the baking soda may have opened up the hair cuticle but not sure. I'm thinking maybe the protein is also too much for my hair? Never used it before.

I guess what I'm asking is if someone has been through this and can recommend products for me? Shampoo, Conditioner, Leave in, mask, whatever! I don't want to spend a fortune but with my hair so long I'm willing to do what is needed at this point to save it! I've seen a lot of tips on Life Proof shampoo, DevaCurl, and then Garnier Fructise. Just really don't know where to ask for help and my mind is going in circles from what I can find googling. I have a gal trying to add some color back into my hair in a few weeks (I waited a few months because I wanted to let my hair chill) I just don't want to make it worse going in if it's still super dry. TIA

Definitly use the new 1 minute masks by garnier fructis...they are only 5 bucks and seriously amazing...i love using mine as a leave in...leaves hair so soft!!

Flowerness
January 24th, 2018, 02:27 PM
I just wanted to chime in here and say that I'm so sorry this happened! It sucks to hear when people are looking forward to something awesome and it turns out scary/wrong. I am definitely inspired to add a gelatin treatment to my "to be tried" list! Good luck!

Blue Mermaid
January 24th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience. What helped when I bleached my hair from chemical black to platinum blond was aphogee two step protein treatment from sally's. Also, Macadamia leave in oil is my absolute fave for softness without making hair 'sticky' or 'tacky' like a lot of leave ins do.

Agnes Eliza
March 4th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Aphogee Two-step protein treatment was the only thing that saved my hideously chemical damaged hair. Perhaps give that a try?