PDA

View Full Version : Advice- face framing layers on me?

pailin
January 4th, 2018, 03:01 AM
I’m looking for ways to make updos look a bit more flattering on my face. My hair is fine and tends to be flat, and my face is fairly round-ish. It's wavy and tends toward frizz and flyaways. Styles that put more volume to the sides of my face are good, but volume only on top (like those little puffs people do) looks awful. Milkmaid braids are good, but I can’t do them all the time. I usually keep a side part because it definitely looks better than a middle part or having it all pulled straight back when I put my hair up. I’m a big fan of earrings to look a little less severe as well. For braids, I think it looks fine if I do a side braid and braid it so it comes over the top of my ear- that works well, I think. For convenience, I love throwing my hair up with a stick; it’s just that I am not happy with the look. I know I don’t want bangs- I had them all through high school (admittedly that’s a while ago) and could never control them; my hair is wavy and I’d always end up with them sticking out to the side like little horns. However, rather than bangs, I am wondering about some face-framing bits, maybe about chin-length; probably not that much hair.
However, it's difficult for me to picture this so I’d love to have some opinions from you guys. I’m just not sure if it would do what I want it to or not, or whether they would drive me nuts.
Here’s a non-back of the head photo; I’ll probably take it down in another day or two. Thanks for your thoughts.

ShahMat
January 4th, 2018, 03:19 AM
I had the same problem with buns and updos in general: my face tends to look severe, especially when I wear glasses.
I used side braids too for a bit, the look was nice but my hair doesn't like braids, it gets frizzy and unmanageable rather than wavy
So, last time I trimmed I also cut a little bit of face framing layers and I'm very happy with it, updos are so much more flattering now
I cut just above chin length, where I'm going to maintain, I think it's the perfect length because it looks good down but it still gets into the ponytail if I don't want it in the way

Lady Stardust
January 4th, 2018, 03:33 AM
I have the same face shape as you (I knew that before I even saw your photo, because your description of what works and what doesn't could apply to me!)

I think some chin length bits would look lovely, it's really softening. I've currently got short hair, just above shoulders, but I've had longer hair before and had chin length layers then. I'm currently growing out a pixie and have seen how much softer my face looked when I got to chin length, anything shorter than that still looks a bit harsh on me.

pailin
January 4th, 2018, 06:22 AM
Thank you, ShahMat and Lady Stardust.​
ShahMat, I appreciate the point about glasses- I'm stuck with them, and the librarian look is something I'd rather not cultivate.

I have the same face shape as you (I knew that before I even saw your photo, because your description of what works and what doesn't could apply to me!)

I think some chin length bits would look lovely, it's really softening. I've currently got short hair, just above shoulders, but I've had longer hair before and had chin length layers then. I'm currently growing out a pixie and have seen how much softer my face looked when I got to chin length, anything shorter than that still looks a bit harsh on me.

I hadn't thought to compare it to chin length hair- chin length is probably the most flattering length for me of those shorter than BSL. Although I did have to blow dry my hair at that length (I hate blowdryers).

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 06:34 AM
I think your look is fine, but if you want the FF layers then go for it! :) I would vote against bangs also because as a 2b/c texture you really don't want to mess with those short waves! And FF layers might be hard too. I would not get them cut shorter than chin (while wavy).

It's up to you. You can try, but I'd not go shorter than chin for the shortest layer (wavy).

Deborah
January 4th, 2018, 11:29 AM
I don't think your face and hair look severe at all. I think you look just great the way you are.

Kake
January 4th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I think ffl would work well, although I don't think you need them. My own grown out fringe is just below chin length, and I like it a lot at this length. I often have it tucked behind my ears (and it stays there), when untucked it softens me in the way you want. I wear glasses too, and know exactly the librarian look you mean, although I think on me it's a bit more nun like sometimes! Texture wise mine behaves quite well, although if it goes too curly I just wet it and tuck it behind my ears.

Eta I just checked mine, and they're a inch longer than chin length, but they look about mouth length, because of 2c texture.

Chromis
January 4th, 2018, 01:15 PM
I think those kind of layers are going to get caught in your glasses and likely to behave much like your bangs did. Also, it will subtract from your overall thickness so with fine hair that is not crazy thick, I would be cautious.

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I think those kind of layers are going to get caught in your glasses and likely to behave much like your bangs did. Also, it will subtract from your overall thickness so with fine hair that is not crazy thick, I would be cautious.

That is something to consider! My mom is i, and she recently let her bangs grow out. When I say recently, it's been a few years at least. It's a lot better for her and she wears reading glasses too; I think that was the main reason she grew them out, and she told me "I have more hair that way, it's much more voluminous". So yeah... And also, with wavy hair I'd be careful with shorter bits! They don't stay the same the entire time and start to sag. For consistency you'd have to straighten/blowdry them and then there's an inconsistency with the rest of your hair, and you'd have to do that too. Nope, wouldn't do it (after careful consideration).

FrayedFire
January 4th, 2018, 04:05 PM
I don't have any layers anymore... never again... but I will say that hair gets caught in glasses regardless, in fact, I'm actually trying to find a way to reduce it because I have a bunch of snapped hairs in the front that are way more obvious now that I don't have bangs... Just be careful with layers, they can look nice, but take ages to grow out if you don't like it.

PixieP
January 4th, 2018, 04:20 PM
I have FFL, and I love them. I have an egg-shaped face and they help balance out my lower face. I so think the loss of thickness is worth it, because I am overall MUCH happier with my hair :) It's never gotten caught in my glasses.

If you want to try just a little bit, that'll be in the way as little as possible, then "sideburns" can be an idea. Basically the soft little bits over the ears. Like this (https://i.pinimg.com/236x/75/ab/35/75ab35a0f1574608d60126dd21483b2c--hair-chains-hair-art.jpg) and this (http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Premiere+Sony+Pictures+Salt+Arrivals+g9uIoKFRx70x. jpg). You don't need many hairs on each side! I have both "earlocks" and ffl, sometimes I'll have both loose, sometimes I'll pin back either the earlocks or the longer framing layers. Each gives a different look. I also tug a bit on my hair after putting up my bun so that my hair get a tad more volume and looks a bit softer, less severe.

yahirwaO.o
January 4th, 2018, 06:27 PM
PixieP made a great point about sideburns. Im a guy and I donīt like looking all slick back in an updo, so sideburns and a high top knot always are a a win for me. I have the benefits of up hair without looking like im balding (updos are unforgiven for hair cleavage and certain faces) ha ha ha ;)

If you don't mind losing some thickness by all means get those framing bits, the only downside is that naturally wavy hair has days in which looks lovely and days in which it has mind on its own.

You could play with some accessories and make up too!

Chromis
January 4th, 2018, 07:46 PM
I don't have any layers anymore... never again... but I will say that hair gets caught in glasses regardless, in fact, I'm actually trying to find a way to reduce it because I have a bunch of snapped hairs in the front that are way more obvious now that I don't have bangs... Just be careful with layers, they can look nice, but take ages to grow out if you don't like it.

I cannot highly enough recommend rimless glasses! Mine have no hinge, so they do not catch hair at all. It is wonderful!

hobbitlocks
January 4th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I did this recently and I love it! I think of them more as really over grown side swept bangs. I wanted to be able to put them securely behind my ears because loose hair in my face drives me nuts. I can also put them up when I want. Mine are pretty long, probably 2 inches past chin length now (I cut them in October) but they are working well for me. I didn't feel like I lost much thickness because the hair near my hairline is even finer than the rest of my hair and more susceptible to breakage so they were already shorter than the rest of my hair, just now it looks purposeful. I maybe lost a millimeter of thickness. I've been using an old hot brush (like this (https://smile.amazon.com/Helen-Troy-Tangle-Inches-Barrel/dp/B01MXG1PGO/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515128428&sr=8-9&keywords=helen+of+troy+hot+air+brush)) to style them when damp and it's been pretty easy. I don't have glasses though, so I can't comment about that.

pailin
January 4th, 2018, 11:42 PM
Thank you all for your comments!
Chromis, I really wanted to try the rimless glasses, but two shops have told me that my prescription is too strong.

Getting caught in glasses is a concern, but it happens anyway.

I'm not too concerned about thickness- I rechecked, and my circumference was a little over 3.5 inches.

Anyway, I went ahead and did it. Basically I used the method I've seen Torrinpaige use to trim her bangs, but I did it at chin length. Tried to take just a small amount. It scared me at first because I thought it looked too chunky/ blocky and straight (of course those nits had been pulled back all day), but it still softened my face a bit- I think it looks younger. Then I washed my hair and when they dried, I really liked them- they curled up pretty nicely.

I am sure they will drive me nuts sometimes- I need to clip them to wash my face- but unlike bangs, I think it looks really good even when they're kind of a mess. It gives me a little of the look of chin length wavy hair, while keeping my hair long. And with my hair down, it gives a lot more volume and softness around my face. So overall, I'm really happy I did it.

PixieP and yahirwaO.o, the sideburns or earlocks is a great idea- I may try that too at some point.

yamsha23
January 5th, 2018, 01:34 AM
Hi Pailin, for me (I have a rather round-squarish face) low buns and especially side buns like this one (https://www.beautifulhairstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Side-Bun-Hairstyles.jpg) flatter my face the most! And I always pull a little bit my hair out of the bun in direction of my scalp, to give volume on my head.
I have bangs: the shorter they are (short like above eyebrows a little bit and very light), the more it suits me, and no sticking in the face!
I also have longer pieces of hair hanging on the sides of my ear, but be careful like Lapushka said not to make them too short (I always cut a little bit too much...)

Lady Stardust
January 5th, 2018, 02:13 AM
Chromis, I really wanted to try the rimless glasses, but two shops have told me that my prescription is too strong.

I'm not too concerned about thickness- I rechecked, and my circumference was a little over 3.5 inches.

Anyway, I went ahead and did it. Basically I used the method I've seen Torrinpaige use to trim her bangs, but I did it at chin length. Tried to take just a small amount. It scared me at first because I thought it looked too chunky/ blocky and straight (of course those nits had been pulled back all day), but it still softened my face a bit- I think it looks younger. Then I washed my hair and when they dried, I really liked them- they curled up pretty nicely.

I am sure they will drive me nuts sometimes- I need to clip them to wash my face- but unlike bangs, I think it looks really good even when they're kind of a mess. It gives me a little of the look of chin length wavy hair, while keeping my hair long. And with my hair down, it gives a lot more volume and softness around my face. So overall, I'm really happy I did it.

PixieP and yahirwaO.o, the sideburns or earlocks is a great idea- I may try that too at some point.

Fantastic! It's great to have the flattering effect of chin length hair without the hassle of styling it!

OhSuzi
January 5th, 2018, 03:49 AM
maybe big long heavy side swept fringe rather than straight accross?
less likely to split in half into flicky out horns.
goes with your side parted hair & side plaited hair
youd get this nice sort of swooping s shape that frames your face & curls to just about your chin & adds more of a style to long locks
it'd be long & heavy enough to clip back if irritating / that it shouldnt take long before itd grow out & blend back with the rest of your hair if you hated it
could wear it down & swooping over your face / flipped over creating a quiff / clipped back / if long enough could probably incorporate it into a front headbandy type french plait if you wanted to hide it.

PixieP
January 5th, 2018, 07:08 AM

They sound great, I'd love to see a picture! I'm a wavy too and my face hair moves as it will, sometimes it sticks out a bit, but most of the time it just looks nice. Mine actually tend to be the most misbehaved towards the end of the wash cycle, because then my waves have flattened out a lot. I just mist a bit of water on them then to wave up again and it looks much better! :)

Chromis
January 5th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Pailin, I have a strong script too, I just have to get ultra high index lenses. They do cost more, but they are very high quality and very scratch resistant! Mine are by Nikon which amuses me. They match my camera :D

My optometrist cuts them in house from the blanks though. You might need to find an independent one who specializes in this. He is not any more expensive than going to a chain would have been and does a much better job!

pailin
January 6th, 2018, 05:39 AM
That's interesting, Chromis- I may have to look into that sometime.

FrayedFire
January 12th, 2018, 12:39 PM
I cannot highly enough recommend rimless glasses! Mine have no hinge, so they do not catch hair at all. It is wonderful!

I've had my new glasses for less than a year, I love them, they're big blue plastic frames, but they are't getting caught in the metal hinge, but the part of the leg where it folds, so it's getting caught between the plastic. Would't rimbless glasses still have the legs fold to put in a case?

Chromis
January 12th, 2018, 02:33 PM
I've had my new glasses for less than a year, I love them, they're big blue plastic frames, but they are't getting caught in the metal hinge, but the part of the leg where it folds, so it's getting caught between the plastic. Would't rimbless glasses still have the legs fold to put in a case?

They don't actually fold. They just bend. They have no frames, hinges, or screws. I don't put mine in a case since I wear them constantly. At night I put them upside down on my desk out of harm's way. They do have a case though and they slide into it. They are expensive, but last me many many years and are the absolute most comfortable I have ever worn. https://www.silhouette.com/gb/en/optical-eyewear/tma-icon/7579/6061

The model I have are actually the same as the one NASA uses! https://spinoff.nasa.gov/spinoff2002/ch_2.html