PDA

View Full Version : I need help broken ribs and bad cold.

Stormynights
January 4th, 2018, 12:31 AM
I just came down with a miserable cold then I fell and broke some ribs. I am so sore and can't figure out how I can wash my hair. I read about no rinse shampoo and I am just too miserable to look it up. My right arm is nearly useless. If I could stop coughing and sneezing I might not be so miserable. I am sure I am not the only one that has had this problem so I am open to any suggestions.

leayellena
January 4th, 2018, 12:46 AM
A friend, family member or someone close to you could wash your hair for you. You can also try water only wash (we have a thread for that). I imagine you don't have to go to work, so greasy hair should not be a Problem for you right now. If you have to go shopping try a beanie or you can order some food for a while.
Get well soon! Wish you all the best.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412

psyc2321
January 4th, 2018, 01:07 AM
I sliced the top off one finger a couple of years ago, couldn’t get it wet for a month- I paid a salon to wash and “fluff dry” (I.e. literally just get it dry with a diffuser on warm rather than a salon blow dry). It was fairly cheap and made me feel way less terrible.

Best of luck, broken ribs suck!

alimc
January 4th, 2018, 02:47 AM
Oh that sounds really difficult...hugs to you!

Is there anyone who could maybe braid your hair into a protective style so you could ignore it for a few days till you’re not so sore? It sounds like washing hair is way down the list for you at the moment. Concentrate on healing for now.... :blossom:

Lady Stardust
January 4th, 2018, 03:46 AM
Ouch! I'm so sorry, I've broken my ribs before and I know how every breath, cough and sneeze hurts. I can't offer much advice about hair washing because as far as I remember I could wash my hair standing up in the shower, and I found that the heat from the shower really helped with the pain (until I dropped my towel and instinctively made a grab for it...I wouldn't advise that!)

It took me a few days to realise how much medication I needed to take to deal with the pain, I was in shock and denial I think and couldn't believe that anything would help. I ended up alternating ibuiprofen and paracetamol, as advised by a nurse, because I needed that to be able to move and get up and down without overcompensating somewhere and giving myself pain elsewhere.

Heat really helped too. I hope you feel better as soon as possible.

I've just remembered- I have a vague memory of sitting in the bath while my husband washed my hair with a shower attachment in the early days. After that, I washed one handed.

pandabarrier
January 4th, 2018, 04:34 AM
There is a thread about DIY rinseless shampoo:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=143464

Stray_mind
January 4th, 2018, 05:03 AM
Oh my, i am so sorry for your troubles...

There are some dry shampoos out there, but they usually dry out scalp (at least for me)...

I second the people who said to ask someone else to wash your hair for you. It can be a nice experience too :)

Chromis
January 4th, 2018, 06:21 AM
I strongly recommend asking for something like T3, tylenol with codiene for cough syrup. This is behind the counter in Canada, but in the US you will need a script. Codeine is the gold standard for cough suppression out of the things I know of or have tried. It will also make you very sleepy, but that is probably for the best while you are recovering anyhow since that will keep you from trying to do things that will hurt your ribs more. I know the US is weird about opiates, but this is a one hundred percent legit usage of it and it is much, much more effective that the OTC cough syrups.

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 08:26 AM
I just came down with a miserable cold then I fell and broke some ribs. I am so sore and can't figure out how I can wash my hair. I read about no rinse shampoo and I am just too miserable to look it up. My right arm is nearly useless. If I could stop coughing and sneezing I might not be so miserable. I am sure I am not the only one that has had this problem so I am open to any suggestions.

OMG that is rotten to have happen!

Can someone wash it for you, or could you possibly postpone the wash until the cold at least is better?

Maybe making a ponytail and just doing scalp-only might do the trick? Definitely have someone help you!!! Is there someone that can help out?

Hope you get well soon! :flower:

Keep us posted!

Stormynights
January 4th, 2018, 09:14 AM
I haven't been able to take a bath in a tub for a few years now. My shower is too small for two and bending over a sink is out. I will try the rinceless shampoo for now. I really apreciate all the good wishes and suggestions.

Lady Stardust
January 4th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Good luck, and I hope there's some improvement soon.

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 09:50 AM
I haven't been able to take a bath in a tub for a few years now. My shower is too small for two and bending over a sink is out. I will try the rinceless shampoo for now. I really apreciate all the good wishes and suggestions.

Even the kitchen sink, which is usually more spacious; you'd not have to bend too much, I don't think, but if it's too difficult well... that's that then. :(

I really hope you can find a solution. I'm fresh out of ideas.

Can your SO wash your hair from outside the shower?

Cg
January 4th, 2018, 10:26 AM
When I broke three ribs I had to wash my hair in the shower. It was not easy, but if you move slowly you can avoid sudden catches. It might help to have someone wash your hair for you until you can again. If that isn't possible, take a good painkiller about 20 minutes before you start.

It does get better but healing is a slow process. Try to be gentle with yourself. People understand that any movement is painful.

ggallagher27
January 4th, 2018, 11:00 AM
So sorry to hear. I think medicating, and possibly going to a salon for a wash might be your best bet. Good luck, and speedy healing.

Kake
January 4th, 2018, 11:05 AM
That's rotten, sorry you're suffering. Get better soon :)

Groovy Granny
January 4th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Oh my :(

Prayers for your comfort and speedy recovery (((Hugs))) :pray:

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 02:00 PM
So sorry to hear. I think medicating, and possibly going to a salon for a wash might be your best bet. Good luck, and speedy healing.

Yes that might be *the* solution, stretching your wash out, then going to a salon to have it washed (possibly dried). If you are a weekly washer, it's not the end of the world for a salon to take over that task. :flower:

Ligeia Noire
January 4th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Just do not wash it if you cannot do it or you have no one else to help you. I have gone weeks without washing my hair.. The maximum would have been a month, granted I scritched and combed and my scalp is dry, if you do not need to go out that is what I would do.

Stormynights
January 5th, 2018, 12:06 AM
Pain meds give me chest pains. I can take Aleve and A few other OTC stuff as long as it doesn't contain Asprin. I am so tired of being tough. I want to fall in the floor and have a hissy fit but I wouldn't be able to get back up if I did. My hair starts falling out when it needs washing and it is getting really thin already.

HaMalka
January 5th, 2018, 05:49 AM
You may want to try taking pseudofedrine to help with your cold symptoms. I hope you get better soon.

lapushka
January 5th, 2018, 07:46 AM
You may want to try taking pseudofedrine to help with your cold symptoms. I hope you get better soon.

Here in Belgium it's called Sinutab and it is a formula that has paracetamol in it next to it. The lighter version is OTC, and the stronger version is prescription.

Cg
January 5th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Adjusting yourself in salon chairs would I think be quite painful. I would never have considered that. I had trouble enough just trying to breathe, let alone perform personal care. Believe me, it will be better all the time, even though at first the pain is terrible.

If you have absolutely no one who can help you wash your hair, you could hire someone to come in and help you do that for the first couple of weeks. After that you can gradually start doing more by yourself.

Prism
January 5th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I've tried rinseless shampoos, and they left my hair with a feel I can't stand. I highly recommend calling around and finding the most inexpensive hair salon shampoo. I'm so sorry you got hurt!

Deborah
January 5th, 2018, 10:42 AM
I'm so sorry that you are in such a lot of pain. When my husband was injured, he stood in the shower and slowly washed his hair with one hand. If you always use conditioner, maybe try an all in one shampoo/conditioner. That way you would only need to raise your one arm the one time to wash it.

lapushka
January 5th, 2018, 03:46 PM
I'm so sorry that you are in such a lot of pain. When my husband was injured, he stood in the shower and slowly washed his hair with one hand. If you always use conditioner, maybe try an all in one shampoo/conditioner. That way you would only need to raise your one arm the one time to wash it.

Top notch idea! A 2-in-1 would be good for this, if it's even possible to wash the hair.

How are you doing, OP?

Stormynights
January 5th, 2018, 07:25 PM
I was expecting to be feeling a bit better but I think the pain is worse from all the coughing and sneezing. It even hurts to blow my nose. I haven't even had a shower yet. Tomorrow I am going to try to at least get rinsed off a bit. I feel so nasty but I will only be able to wash part of one side. This would be hard enough without a cold.

WildandSeawhite
January 5th, 2018, 07:52 PM
I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. :( That’s so unfair to have the bad cold on top of the broken ribs.

When my mom broke her wrist, she bought a special chair for the shower. It made things easier, because she struggles with balance. She used it again when she broke her ankle. I don’t think they’re very expensive, and they sell them in Walmart. Not a perfect solution, but it’s better than standing in the shower and you can get in and out easier than sitting in the tub.

The dry shampoos always make my scalp more itchy, and I think they could potentially make thinning worse by clogging the pores. I would think even just running the warm water over your hair and scalp would be better.

I’ve had 3 colds in just the last few months, and Vicks helps a bunch with my cough and congestion. I rub it on my chest and on the bottoms of my feet.

I hope you start feeling much better soon!

Jo Ann
January 5th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Oh, Stormynights, I so feel for you!

From my experience with broken ribs, it was about 10-14 days before the pain eased when I moved. I slept in a recliner (upright position) and used a pillow to help ease the pain with coughing. My SO washed my hair for me; after the pain eased, I tried to keep everything at least waist-high so I wouldn't have to bend to pick it up (my two Younger Dear Sons loved it--it was the only time they were allowed to stand on the furniture and tables :p ). A hand-held shower helped, too, once I got more mobile. Even if I wasn't washing my hair, I would jump into the shower and just rinse off--water-only showers helped quite a bit until I got more mobile.

If you have a problem with codeine, ask your doctor for Ultram--it's non-narcotic, but still needs a prescription to purchase at a pharmacy. Maybe he has some samples on hand. I also second taking some kind of NSAID or other pain med before taking your shower or doing other things, like laundry (the waist-high rule applies here, too).

Prayers ascending you get some relief soon! You should be pretty much back to normal within 4-6 weeks--small consolation, I know, but your ribs will heal soon! Until then, slow and easy will help get you through--and if it hurts, DON'T DO IT!

Stormynights
January 9th, 2018, 06:20 PM
I started having muscle spasms where the broken ribs are and I learned what really painful was. The spasms are mostly gone now. I took Benadryl and Aleve for the pain. My hair is in a braid and I haven't been a bit concerned about even brushing it. One of these days it will be clean again but for now I just don't want the muscle spasms to start up again.

enting
January 9th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Oh ouch! That's good it's in a braid. Please don't be concerned about your hair much at a time like this. It's probably safe just the way it is, you just focus on all that healing you've got to do.

lapushka
January 10th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I remember my mom once had bruised ribs. Accident at work when she rolled into her desk at high speed (yeah slippy floors). That was bad enough to deal with. I can't imagine even broken ribs.

I hope you can manage and that your SO can help you out. It should be doable with some help, at least. :flower:

Hoping for a fast recovery. :)