PDA

View Full Version : What is a Dianyla braid?

frodolaughs
October 29th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I've seen several posts where people mention wearing their hair in a Dianyla braid.
What is that?

Periwinkle
October 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652

frodolaughs
October 29th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Thank you Periwinkle! I don't know how I missed that link in my search, but I'm glad you found it for me

BlackfootHair
October 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Oh my gosh..her hair is amazing! I dream of the day my hair is that long.

Anje
October 29th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I know... that's an incredible braid.

Were those pictures taken a few feet ago, or did she leave a really long tail? I can't tell -- the ends are not in the picture, but the braid looks like it's tied off at tailbone.

MischiefsMuse
October 29th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Hah! I used to try to braid my hair like this for bed- up near the middle of my head instead of at the nape- so that I wouldn't have a braid digging into the back of my neck. I know exactly what she means by 'poofiness' by the ears :P I could never figure out how to braid it so it wouldn't do that and thus never wore that type of braid where anyone would see me...

Periwinkle
October 29th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Were those pictures taken a few feet ago, or did she leave a really long tail? I can't tell -- the ends are not in the picture, but the braid looks like it's tied off at tailbone.

I don't know the answer, but I it looks like the length of the braid is similar to the double braids in her 'extreme hairstyles' album, which it says are from knee length.

I agree...Dianyla has the most amazing hair!

sahiba
October 29th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Seriously, what I would do to get that thickness... :sigh:

zift
October 29th, 2008, 12:17 PM

The time when she did the braids her hair was about knee length and it shortens to about classic when braided because of it's gigantic thickness(if I remember correctly). Now her braid must be very much longer. She has one of the most amazing hair over here:)
Hi Dianyla:waving:

jessie58
October 29th, 2008, 12:19 PM
A Dianyla braid is the most beautiful, thickest, most mind bogglingly beautiful braid ever. :heartbeat

saracuda
October 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM
My favorite kind of braid! Hi, Dianyla! :p

NiAosSi
October 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I concur. That is some beautiful hair!:disco:

joyfulmom4
October 29th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I don't know the answer, but I it looks like the length of the braid is similar to the double braids in her 'extreme hairstyles' album, which it says are from knee length.

I agree...Dianyla has the most amazing hair!

Definitely amazing hair. Where can I see the 'extreme hairstyles' album? That sounds interesting.

Starr
October 29th, 2008, 02:14 PM
A Dianyla braid is a thud inspiring sight.:thudpile:

Hi Dianyla!:joy:

Periwinkle
October 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Definitely amazing hair. Where can I see the 'extreme hairstyles' album? That sounds interesting.

It's one of her public albums - just visit her profile :)

Dianyla
October 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Oh, um, hi guys! :oops:

Technically, I would argue that there's no such thing as a Dianyla braid. I just call it an English braid, and explained how I do it in a tutorial I put together long ago and far away.

The braid photos in my journal are several years old. I have not taken an updated braid photo in a while. It tapers a lot more now and I leave a longer tassel. :)

:run:

Hypnotica
October 29th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Oh, um, hi guys! :oops:

Technically, I would argue that there's no such thing as a Dianyla braid. I just call it an English braid, and explained how I do it in a tutorial I put together long ago and far away.

The braid photos in my journal are several years old. I have not taken an updated braid photo in a while. It tapers a lot more now and I leave a longer tassel. :)

:run:

Isn't now you should list some of the negative things of having thick hair? I mean, so we don't get too worship-y on you....?

Oh, wait. You are a mod. We worship you per default. :D

eadwine
October 29th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Oh, wait. You are a mod. We worship you per default. :D
No we don't ;) Not all *giggles*

I prefer worshipping cheese ;) :cheese:

longhairedfairy
October 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652

I just clicked the link and Holy Hairiness! She's got gorgeous hair!

Periwinkle
October 30th, 2008, 07:28 AM
No we don't ;) Not all *giggles*

I prefer worshipping cheese ;) :cheese:

Traitor! :p

frodolaughs
October 30th, 2008, 09:10 AM
This may be an English braid, but mine have always been the kind where you just divide everything up vertically at the nape, so I'm happy to know this technique variation.
Unfortunately, nothing on the back of my head could truly be called a Dianyla braid. There's just nowhere near enough volume.

Thanks again. I tried this out yesterday, and I really like the way it hangs. A new tool in the toolbox... yay!:cheese:

rileysmama32208
October 30th, 2008, 10:53 AM
wow! what beautiful hair! thanks for posting this, OP, I was wondering the same ;)

Amara
October 30th, 2008, 02:07 PM
My Dianyla braid wants to grow up to be Dianyla's Dianyla braid. LOL

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1812&pictureid=23981

longhairedfairy
October 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
My Dianyla braid wants to grow up to be Dianyla's Dianyla braid. LOL

It looks pretty darn good to me!:)

lolabee
October 30th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I think I love DIANYLA. you are my hair hero... To bad you cant really MAKE hair that thick...

zmirina
April 22nd, 2019, 08:25 AM
I want to see the mythical Dianyla's braid, but it's off this website
whyyyy

EdG
April 22nd, 2019, 08:55 AM
I want to see the mythical Dianyla's braid, but it's off this website
whyyyyYou can see a tiny picture in Dianyla's avatar (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=844) and Dianyla's Livejournal (https://dianyla.livejournal.com).

Dianyla used to say that her hair care had reached mythical proportions. I think that applies to Dianyla in quite a few ways. ;)

We miss you, Dianyla.
Ed

Ophidian
April 22nd, 2019, 10:28 PM
Dianyla was before my time here, but that mythical braid indeed endures.

I do a thing for sleeping every night that I call a Dianyla braid, but it's been so long since I've seen her livejournal (thanks for linking it Ed!) that I'm not sure how accurate that is. But since I read about her braiding technique way back when it's always been how I braid, and it's not a french braid but the setup is a bit different than an english braid so it's definitely Dianyla-derived if nothing else. :D

I section on both sides beginning just above my ears, then up at an angle to the back of my crown. Like a shallow inverted 'v'. Then I divide what's left and braid as usual for an english braid. The way I divide it has evolved over time though. I used to split it right down the middle, but I've discovered that if I section the first lower third diagonally from my lower right nape up towards the center before crossing it over right to left, I get a braid that stays neater underneath.

I love that this braid gives a bit more structure for buns since it starts on the back of your head rather than at the nape. Works nicely for folded braids too. Thank you Dianyla.

Astrid Carlisle
April 23rd, 2019, 02:44 AM
Is there any way to open http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=23652 ? :(

Astrid Carlisle
April 23rd, 2019, 02:48 AM
I section on both sides beginning just above my ears
- so you have 2 sections from half of hair above the ears - 1 on left and 1 on the right, yes?

"then up at an angle to the back of my crown. Like a shallow inverted 'v'." - after here I don't really understand where the hair goes if it's lifted up at an angle :/

"Then I divide what's left and braid as usual for an english braid." - what's left at the bottom, or what's left from those 2 sections that were lifted up?

_______________ EDIT: I understood what you were doing after finding the video and the instructions I linked below :)

Astrid Carlisle
April 23rd, 2019, 02:53 AM
Ophidian , is this the way you make it? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA (Torrin's similar braid)

Astrid Carlisle
April 23rd, 2019, 03:03 AM
This is another link I found that shows how to make Dianyla braid:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/thelonghairloom/dianyla-s-english-braid-technique-t18133.html

Ligeia Noire
April 23rd, 2019, 06:25 AM
Uh i usually braid as high as i can to avoid sagging but this is much simpler. I like Torrin's tutorial on a faux French braid and will try that way today.

VenusianMane
April 23rd, 2019, 08:29 AM
This is amazing! Thank you for sharing, Astrid, excited to try it out

Ophidian
April 23rd, 2019, 06:05 PM
Ophidian , is this the way you make it? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOyGD_KOoA (Torrin's similar braid)

Pretty much! The only differences are I start it a bit differently and just use my thumbs to part my hair above my ears and create the top section by drawing the inverted ‘v’, I part the rest of my hair on a diagonal to form the second and third sections on the bottom which makes it neater on the underside for me, and I start the braid by crossing the right lower section over first instead of the left. Of these three things, the way I part the lower two sections is the only one I can see making any difference.

I wish I could draw a picture of the parting because it’s really simple but sounds so complicated when I explain it. By sectioning the top into two like Torrin does, you basically end up with the same section of hair as I do, I just use my thumbs and pull it together immediately like I’m doing a half up, but because I’m thinking about drawing that inverted ‘v’ on the back of my head, I wind up with more hair from my temple area than from the back of my head.

To get the second and third sections, just think about parting the hair into roughly equal sections, but so that the part is diagonal instead of vertical from the center of your nape. This just makes the underside of the braid neater and less baggy.

Astrid Carlisle
April 24th, 2019, 05:39 AM
Pretty much! The only differences are I start it a bit differently and just use my thumbs to part my hair above my ears and create the top section by drawing the inverted ‘v’, I part the rest of my hair on a diagonal to form the second and third sections on the bottom which makes it neater on the underside for me, and I start the braid by crossing the right lower section over first instead of the left. Of these three things, the way I part the lower two sections is the only one I can see making any difference.

I wish I could draw a picture of the parting because it’s really simple but sounds so complicated when I explain it. By sectioning the top into two like Torrin does, you basically end up with the same section of hair as I do, I just use my thumbs and pull it together immediately like I’m doing a half up, but because I’m thinking about drawing that inverted ‘v’ on the back of my head, I wind up with more hair from my temple area than from the back of my head.

To get the second and third sections, just think about parting the hair into roughly equal sections, but so that the part is diagonal instead of vertical from the center of your nape. This just makes the underside of the braid neater and less baggy.

Thank you! I tried it yesterday following Torrin's video, and I'll try your way now. You said you put right one over the first section because of how it's diagonally parted at the bottom. Do you part it like this
left \ right
or
left / right

I would assume the second way? so the right one has less hair at the "top" of the section, so it goes over first one neater?

Astrid Carlisle
April 24th, 2019, 06:28 AM
So here's my first try yesterday with Torrin's directions:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36634&d=1556108782

And here's my try today with Ophidian's direction of parting the bottom sections diagonally:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36633&d=1556108602

Ophidian
April 24th, 2019, 09:00 PM
Thank you! I tried it yesterday following Torrin's video, and I'll try your way now. You said you put right one over the first section because of how it's diagonally parted at the bottom. Do you part it like this
left \ right
or
left / right

I would assume the second way? so the right one has less hair at the "top" of the section, so it goes over first one neater?

I actually part the first way (\). I think the reason it ends up snugger on the bottom is because the right section has more hair at the top, which makes the first wrap a bit snugger.

Here’s a picture of mine, crossposted from the braid picture thread:

https://i.imgur.com/wIjBGZr.jpg

ExpectoPatronum
April 24th, 2019, 09:19 PM
I'm going to have to try this method of braiding next time I braid my hair. Thank you all for the pictures!