PDA

View Full Version : Share your favorite hair oils!

acanofyams
January 2nd, 2018, 02:55 PM
Hello all! I'm running low on my currents oils (coconut and jojoba), and I was wondering what oils do you like to use and how they are (Are they heavy, light, hard to rinse out, etc).
Also if you have an oil combination you like, feel free to share that as well! Thanks for your helpful advice!! ;)

Groovy Granny
January 2nd, 2018, 03:25 PM
I use basic mineral/baby oil and add my favorite essential oils (lilac or rose).

I also use and love this rose oil blend (https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-300927-now-foods-massage-oil-tranquil-rose-8-oz)

Almond Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Rose Hip Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rose Absolute, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E) (from soy).

My hair is very fine and wispy and handle these oils well post shampoo on my ends only (few drops).

In Summer I use more of the mineral oil and I also cut the rose oil blend with mineral oil; in Winter I use the oil blend as bottled/full strength.

In the past I loved the Shea Moisture oils and products but found the ARGAN OIL stained my white/silver, so I had to find others.

Coconut, olive etc are all too heavy for my hair.

amiraaah
January 2nd, 2018, 04:15 PM
my hair is very fine and curly,i love pure argan oil because it's really light and smells amazing(i apply it to my hair only).for my scalp i use a little bit-because it's hard to wash out- of castor oil mixed with mustardseed oil or olive oil(as castor oil is so thick).i have always loved coconut oil and used it since i was 5 years old but suddenly my hair started breaking from it and i stopped using it.
for my favorite oil blend is almond+sesame+castor.also,when i used coconut oil before i've always made "carrot oil" and my hair loved it so much.

softheartedandl
January 2nd, 2018, 04:22 PM
I'm currently an hour into my monthly coconut oil treatment. :o I've used avocado oil before and really enjoyed that too. I usually add essential oils that are good for hair for whatever hair-related thing I'm trying to improve on (peppermint for growth, tea tree for dandruff, etc).

lapushka
January 2nd, 2018, 04:32 PM
Hello all! I'm running low on my currents oils (coconut and jojoba), and I was wondering what oils do you like to use and how they are (Are they heavy, light, hard to rinse out, etc).
Also if you have an oil combination you like, feel free to share that as well! Thanks for your helpful advice!! ;)

I use baby oil (MO) and a more natural baby oil (sweet almond + camellia). I only use it on my lengths though. You don't want to put a mineral oil near your scalp as you will hardly get it out.

Alissalocks
January 2nd, 2018, 04:34 PM
I use sweet almond oil regularly and love it. It's very light, overall, soaks into my skin quickly when applying to my hair, rinsed out well with a CWC, and carries essential oils nicely. Some favorite essential oil blends might have spearmint, eucalyptus, Lavendar &/or clove and allow me to customize blends for whatever I'm in the mood for.

Love oil!

acanofyams
January 2nd, 2018, 04:45 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to give Almond oil a try tomorrow! :D

Corvana
January 2nd, 2018, 05:31 PM
Ok so I stole one of my husband's beard oils. He got a few to test the scents and just how much he liked them over all, and one of them I absolutely adored and just kept using on like frizzy hair days (before LHC). Then I joined LHC and started to use a little more as an after-wash thing, and he was like "ok I'm just gonna buy you your own goodness me stop using my stuff, woman" and he bought me like 2 bottles? Three? Idk I'm still on the first one and not even halfway done! I know I got them before we moved, and I'm pretty sure it was around June-ish? So it's been really lasting me at my length lol.

Anyway! Here are the ingredients:

Base Oil Blend

Golden Jojoba Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Avocado Oil

Essential Oil (Scent) Blend

Roasted Coffee
Texas Pecan

It (obviously) smells like coffee, and I find it's a pretty light oil as well!

Reyn127
January 2nd, 2018, 05:33 PM
I also like almond oil, it's probably my favorite over jojoba oil because it's a little heavier and generally less expensive. I usually put rosemary and jasmine essential oil in it :)

Reservechic
January 2nd, 2018, 05:39 PM
Besides coconut oil, I totally adore grape seed oil. I own several bottles of Napa Valley's Grapeseed Oil. I buy it from online, and it is one of the best hair oils that I have ever used. The smell of it is very minimal (practically non-existent) and it leaves my hair feeling super soft, yet well hydrated, with it not not leaving a very oily after as much as pure coconut oil does to my hair. Not all grape seed oils are the same, as I have tried others in the past, however, Napa Valley's Grapeseed Oil is of the best quality grape seed oil that I have ever come across.

Robi-Bird
January 2nd, 2018, 07:32 PM
Avocado, apricot kernel and camellia are my favourites. Camellia is my absolute favourite but it's expensive.

LaLola73
January 2nd, 2018, 08:47 PM
Sometimes I use a bit of coconut oil, other times I use Hask Keratin Protein oil. I use both sparingly, when I use them at all.

acanofyams
January 3rd, 2018, 06:07 AM
I've never heard of Camellia oil! Cool!

acanofyams
January 3rd, 2018, 06:08 AM
I have a bunch of Young Living Essential oils; have any of you guys put it in your hair oils?

Alissalocks
January 3rd, 2018, 07:42 AM
I have a bunch of Young Living Essential oils; have any of you guys put it in your hair oils?
Yes, that's what I meant by "it carries essential oils nicely." A few drops of essential to your carrier base (sweet almond for me, but whatever you like) and you can make your own scented oils.

Rosemary is another favorite, yes! I have about 40 essential oils, as a henna artist, but only a few I like best for hair blends.

Dancing Giant
January 3rd, 2018, 07:56 AM
When I do oil treatments for my whole hair I usually use coconut oil. I find it really easy to rinse out. Whenever I apply oil to my scalp only I use castor oil but like it was said before it is really thick and not that easy to use. Until now I never had problems with rinsing castor oil out.

Dendra
January 3rd, 2018, 09:20 AM
My favourites just like OP are coconut and jojoba. I also like avocado for when I want something super moisturising, it gives my hair amazing shine. I own almond and wheatgerm as well but never use them because they seem a bit thin and nothing-y, but I did buy the cheapest ones possible. The difference between the cheap and mid-range jojoba oils I've tried is massive, though, so if I got better quality almond oil it may be a different story.

I have camelia and argan on my wish list but I already have so many oils I don't need them at the moment!

ETA thank you for the recommendation on grapeseed oil Reservechic :)

acanofyams
January 3rd, 2018, 11:04 AM
40 oils?! Thats awesome! Your home must smell wonderful!
I understood what you meant. I meant if anyone has used the specific brand Young Living Essential oils.

NightSister
January 3rd, 2018, 11:09 AM
Still hanging on to my on and off relationship with camellia oil! Argan feels nice too, but I have a ton of camellia to go through. I don't think I'll ever finish it!

valkyrie90
January 3rd, 2018, 11:24 AM
I use coconut oil mixed with some peppermint essential oil but I'd love to try more oils such as sweet almond and castor .

acanofyams
January 3rd, 2018, 03:03 PM
Did you find your camellia oil online or in store?

Dark40
January 8th, 2018, 04:58 PM
I love cocoanut oil, olive oil, vitamin E oil, Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizing Lotion. Carrot oil, and Tea Tree Oil. These are all light oils. I love oil!!!

Robi-Bird
January 8th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Did you find your camellia oil online or in store?

I get camellia from soapmaking suppliers.

Beckstar
January 8th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Coconut oil.

Alissalocks
January 8th, 2018, 09:05 PM
40 oils?! Thats awesome! Your home must smell wonderful!
I understood what you meant. I meant if anyone has used the specific brand Young Living Essential oils.
Yes indeed, Young Living is a very good brand! :thumbsup:

:laugh: Yes the house can get smelling when I'm mixing henna or mixing hair oils, I love it :cloud9:

BirdieBird
January 9th, 2018, 12:21 AM
I'm using Apricot Kernel oil on my hair as a deep conditioner, I've also used just plain canola oil from the kitchen and it made my hair feel incredible after I wanted it out.
I can't use oil when my hair is dry to smooth it down on the ends as it just gets to greasy so I do an all over oil once a week before shampooing.

Bluecardigan
January 9th, 2018, 01:22 AM
My hair is fine and have low porosity, so coconut oil is too heavy for my poor ends. But almond oil does wonders though when I apply a few drops on wet hair! Makes it very shiney and smooth.

FrayedFire
January 9th, 2018, 01:45 AM
I like the oil that my scalp produces. :bluebiggr

YvetteVarie
January 9th, 2018, 01:47 AM
I love coconut oil, baobab oil, avocado oil, castor oil and almond oil. I also love mango butter and shea butter. I use sulfates so all these oils (and butters) are easy to wash out

Simsy
January 9th, 2018, 05:25 AM
Argan oil, I have 2 or 3 different versions that are in near constant use. I also don’t mind olive oil, but the smell is a little off-putting at the moment.

I also have essential oil in rose, lavender and citrus for adding to conditioner as a leave-in.

andryssa
February 1st, 2018, 11:18 AM
I love castor oil, almond oil and jojoba oil the most. But I have more oils at home, such as avocado oil, grape seed oil and neem oil and some essential oils too.

Salwety
February 1st, 2018, 11:23 AM
Olive oil and castor oil mixed together.

AutobotsAttack
February 1st, 2018, 11:27 AM
Coconut oil

Jasmine oil

Jojoba oil

Argan oil

Ariel love
February 22nd, 2018, 07:51 AM
My hair prefer heavy oils like mustard and castor oil. I get instant result from it. Mineral oil, jojoba oil, and almonds oils leaves my hair crispy and I have no idea why??

chomsky
February 22nd, 2018, 08:52 AM
Jojoba and Argan oil are my favourites. Sweet almond oil too, but it tends to make my hair a bit greasy. Since having an avocado oil conditioner I'm desperate to try the oil. ;)

My hair hates coconut oil and castor oil is too thick for my tastes.

Natalina
February 22nd, 2018, 08:56 AM
I just use good old Coconut Oil and Olive Oil, so those are my favorites, I suppose. :D Out of the two I definitely prefer Coconut Oil, as it smells better, in my opinion. I also love hair oils/serums for the more "conventional/commercial" products.

Silverbleed
February 22nd, 2018, 09:01 AM
Coconut oil, jojoba oil, castor oil and olive oil.
I also love my peppermint oil, I mix a drop witj jojoba and apply it to my scalp before I take a shower.

MusicalSpoons
February 23rd, 2018, 12:54 PM
I bought a load of oils and butters to try a year ago, online from a soapmaking company. I tried a few - apricot kernel, camellia seed*, cashew, and neem on my scalp - which were 'meh' except for the neem oil. I LOVED the smell of neem but it made me so hungry for curry I couldn't face using it again! I also tried palm kernel oil, because it's so full of saturated fat that it should permeate the hair shaft easily, but I didn't realise it's solid at room temperature and was a nightmare trying to warm up.

(*The oils were cheap and camellia seed seems to be one that can vary greatly in quality, so some better-quality oil might have done better, but I'm not bothered enough to test the theory.)

Anyway, after those I tried the sweet almond oil and stopped searching, it was perfect for dry oiling! For deep oiling I do like EVOO, though it is harder to wash out (without sulphates, but coco-betaine does a decent job of it).

This winter I realised sweet almond oil wasn't cutting it, so read about the rinse-out-oil / oil rinse method, and settled on using mineral oil. It is great! No need for dry oiling and so much more effective, though it of course doesn't do any nourishing so might not be too helpful for damaged hair (or hungry virgin hair!). I don't tend to wash my lengths but as long as I rinse everything in warm water it appears not to cause any buildup, so far.

Arciela
February 23rd, 2018, 01:43 PM
Vatika coconut oil! I use it very very sparingly on my hair and it loves it :flower: I am lucky and live in a place in NYC that sells it..yay!

Goodwyfe
February 23rd, 2018, 05:39 PM
Marula!!!! I got a little free sample of the Paul Mitchelle product and couldn't believe how soft it made my curly hair. I didn't want to pay $32 for a full size of that brand, so I bought the Acure version (no additives, which I prefer) for $8 on Amazon. I got the same results. I've tried all the trendy oils and nothing gave me results like this stuff. I use coconut oil too, but more as a styling product to make my hair more separated than for softness.

acanofyams
February 23rd, 2018, 05:48 PM
Oh my gosh! Marula oil! Thats brilliant! Definitely buying that next time I'm at the store.

JessieJames180
March 16th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Avocado oil!! It’s my new love for hair and body! Wish I would have tried it sooner.

pumpkinsage
March 19th, 2023, 05:24 PM
I have quite a bit of black castor oil, sesame oil, jojoba oil and olive oil products but my new love is AVOCADO OIL. I like jojoba oil and olive oil but I LOVE avocado oil. They were good in a pinch but once I started to use avocado oil, I noticed my hair was silky smooth and felt less dry. I put a little bit along the lengths of my hair and ends and I feel so protected and like I'm really taking care of my hair whenever I use it. I also wish I tried avocado oil sooner.

mochichichi
March 19th, 2023, 07:36 PM
I have a rosemary castor oil I like on my scalp on wash day and EVOO with some peppermint oil for the lengths. When I want to oil but need something lighter I like a little pure argon.

angel-baby
March 19th, 2023, 07:59 PM
The Innate Life Rosemary scalp treatment and rose elixir

Artemisa
March 23rd, 2023, 09:07 PM
In the last year I discover almost by mistake that almond oil is a great oil for my hair, nails, face, you name it. Before I use a special oil for each purpuse because I wanted to try new things but recently I have been minimalist on my purchases so I guess I got lucky on the first try. I love almond oil because is not too thin nor too thick. Smells lovely and a little goes a long way. Hope it helps!