PDA

View Full Version : 2018 hair resolutions!

lapushka
January 2nd, 2018, 07:07 AM
If there is already such a thread, feel free to merge. :)

What is your resolution for the New Year when it comes to your hair.

My main one is using up my stash. I am not going as far as to say I am on a NO buy, but I am going on a low-buy. If I see a new product here and there, I am allowing myself to try it, and if there is a good sale (it is going to have to be really cheap, though, so I am setting my limits lower), I will participate. Other than that, I am fully focusing on using stuff up!!!

What about you?

Sarahlabyrinth
January 2nd, 2018, 07:25 AM
I don't think I have one, except for being nice to my hair, and I do that all the time anyway :)

Beeboo123
January 2nd, 2018, 11:32 AM
I resolve not to buy new things- that is, things that are not for replacing used-up products or broken hair toys

FaerieKitty
January 2nd, 2018, 12:14 PM
Do more things with my hair. I got lazy and was wearing it only in a ponytail for the last few years. Even with gentle ties like phone cord not the best. So braids and buns, learn more ways of doing it as it gets longer.

young&reckless
January 2nd, 2018, 12:21 PM
I want to stay on top of my S&D and get back to gents washing methods. Been cheating with regular poo.

Natashap
January 2nd, 2018, 02:39 PM
Eczema and SD is bothering me with frequent flare ups on chilly days if outdoors.So this year -I will try to wash regularly,use gentler shampoo,use conditioners,comb gently .

Use up my stash as products are getting older which i absolutely hate now.

Reservechic
January 2nd, 2018, 06:02 PM
After I make another order from Chagrin Valley (tonight) for more shampoo bars and whatever catches my fancy (as a special new year's gift to myself), I plan to officially work to use up my stash. As, it is definitely well overdue! I also plan to go on a no-buy for anywhere from the next 4-6 months or longer. I plan to stretch it out for as long as I can, and just focus on using up the products that I desperately need to use up, and also going through my stash and getting rid of stuff that I need to throw out as well, that I definitely don't plan on ever using again. I do admit, I have been a hoarder, however, I plan to seriously cut that out this year. No more hoarding ever again!

Gem
January 2nd, 2018, 06:37 PM
- Microtrim (1/4"-1/2" per month) for the whole year
- Wear a sun hat in summer
- Learn more nice styles and actually use them

Stray_mind
January 3rd, 2018, 04:35 AM
No dying and no trimming. :)

YvetteVarie
January 3rd, 2018, 07:02 AM
My resolutions are:

1. No more trims
2. Grow to MBL
3. Use shea butter and henna regularly
4. Use up my stash

lapushka
January 3rd, 2018, 11:27 AM
I've been "calculating" a bit (ahem). There's 52 weeks in a year and I weekly wash, so 52 washes.

I get through a bottle of conditioner in 3 to 4 goes, so take 4 that's 52/4 = 12.5 bottles, say 13-15 (sort of incorporating the 3 goes). I double condition so that's times 2. I should be able to get through about 30 containers conditioner alone.

Then shampoo, which is harder to say. I think I can use a 250 ml bottle about 6 to 8 times. So 52/8 = 6.5, say 7 to 8 bottles.

38 containers empty. I should be able to do that!

fhairyqueen
January 3rd, 2018, 11:58 AM
Stay away from the hairdryer all year - I did this all of last year too first time in my life air drying my hair and it’s actually not too bad at this length - just past collar bone
I don’t know how I will do this when my hair is long but I will try to keep this up
Eat more in my diet of fruit , veg and protein for my hair
Learn to do a bun of some sort
Not trim !!!

Indiaindigo
January 3rd, 2018, 12:40 PM
Hello, I'm new here and have decided to let my natural hair grow out. Am so glad I found this forum, feels like the journey is getting easier with all of you.

Last year I had the promise not to color my hair, which I managed. This year I will stop using heat, which I have used virtually every day for 12 years.

I have not seen my natural hair for the past 16 years. So I'm excited!

FennFire911
January 3rd, 2018, 12:49 PM
To be more gentle consistantly and remind myself to be patient.

NightSister
January 3rd, 2018, 02:22 PM
1. Sleep in nightcap every night.
2. Wash hair twice weekly.
3. Make one year heat free in April 2018.
4. Complete no trim 2018.
5. Hit waist, grow out bangs to cbl.
6. Try not to mess with my haircare routine too much!
7. Hair sticks or forks only - no hairties. (might get a small flexi for when I feel like wearing a braid!)

Starrydandelion
January 3rd, 2018, 04:59 PM
I feel quite ambivalent about my hair so my resolution is very simple; to not get too impulsive and chop it all off. :p

Kellwise Gamgee
January 3rd, 2018, 05:11 PM
No trims for 6 months- I usually do anyways, but now it's official.
Finally did my first cassia treatment that I've been meaning to do.
Just bought an awesome lotus ficcare on the swap board...
I'm already on a roll and we're 3 days into 2018!!
Try to post more on here!!! I come and go...

chiapommama
January 3rd, 2018, 09:12 PM
To keep my hair nice and moisturized find a routine that works for me and grow baby grow!

Dark40
January 3rd, 2018, 09:20 PM
If there is already such a thread, feel free to merge. :)

What is your resolution for the New Year when it comes to your hair.

My main one is using up my stash. I am not going as far as to say I am on a NO buy, but I am going on a low-buy. If I see a new product here and there, I am allowing myself to try it, and if there is a good sale (it is going to have to be really cheap, though, so I am setting my limits lower), I will participate. Other than that, I am fully focusing on using stuff up!!!

What about you?

Yeah, me too also is going to use up my stash of what I already have. But if I see a good deal or bargain on any products to try I am going to buy it. I am also going to hot oil treat and deep condition my hair more often this new year as well. Because, my chemically-treated hair tends to stay dry all of the time. So, I'm going to do once a week hot oil treatments with light oils, and twice a week deep conditioning to keep it moisturized and also more light protein treatments as well.

Julescarm
January 3rd, 2018, 10:51 PM
I started mine by joining the forum. Going to try to deep condition and be more gentle when detangling my hair. Its super fine (texture).

yvsa
January 4th, 2018, 05:58 AM
Mine are:

1. Finish the no trims first six months of the year challenge.
2. Using up my stash (maybe with the help from my daughters if they also like the product.
3. Stop fretting about my hair that needs to be washed 3x a week (i very much like to stretch my washes but it just won't work).

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 06:36 AM
Yeah, me too also is going to use up my stash of what I already have. But if I see a good deal or bargain on any products to try I am going to buy it. I am also going to hot oil treat and deep condition my hair more often this new year as well. Because, my chemically-treated hair tends to stay dry all of the time. So, I'm going to do once a week hot oil treatments with light oils, and twice a week deep conditioning to keep it moisturized and also more light protein treatments as well.

Yes me too, that's why I'm on a low-buy not a no-buy. I'm allowing myself at least a few things and the freedom to enjoy a good sale.

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 06:37 AM
I started mine by joining the forum. Going to try to deep condition and be more gentle when detangling my hair. Its super fine (texture).

Welcome to the forum! :D

Astia
January 4th, 2018, 06:54 AM
I've been "calculating" a bit (ahem). There's 52 weeks in a year and I weekly wash, so 52 washes.

I get through a bottle of conditioner in 3 to 4 goes, so take 4 that's 52/4 = 12.5 bottles, say 13-15 (sort of incorporating the 3 goes). I double condition so that's times 2. I should be able to get through about 30 containers conditioner alone.

Then shampoo, which is harder to say. I think I can use a 250 ml bottle about 6 to 8 times. So 52/8 = 6.5, say 7 to 8 bottles.

If you use a bottle of conditioner 3-4 hair washes there's no need to multiply it 2 times since the 2xco amount per washing is already incorporated in it. But it seems like unreal amount, 7.5 litres of co per year?

also my resolutions:
learn to trim my own hair + maybe bangs, trusted hairdresser having a baby left me with no replacement
spend stocked shampoo
use masks more often + oiling
try to dim the henna red in the length with honey
try LOC continuously for longer period of time
find hair friendly night no-pulling hairstyles that will not poke or fall apart

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 08:24 AM
If you use a bottle of conditioner 3-4 hair washes there's no need to multiply it 2 times since the 2xco amount per washing is already incorporated in it. But it seems like unreal amount, 7.5 litres of co per year?

No it isn't incorporated in it. I condition 2 times after every wash (WCC method).

_fred_
January 4th, 2018, 11:14 AM

I love that you worked all that out! You get through conditioner at the same rate as my partner - his hair's just shy of hip right now.

Hello, I'm new here and have decided to let my natural hair grow out. Am so glad I found this forum, feels like the journey is getting easier with all of you.

Last year I had the promise not to color my hair, which I managed. This year I will stop using heat, which I have used virtually every day for 12 years.

I have not seen my natural hair for the past 16 years. So I'm excited!

Happy growing! :blossom:

Best of luck to everyone for your resolutions!

I'm going to do roughly what i did last year:
* Two trims - one at the beginning of the year (booked for tomorrow), one in the summer.
* Be kind.
* Wear it up most of the time, especially when it's windy.
* Use my hair toys! I've collected a fair few, and I need to learn how to use them all.
* Try not to be disappointed that it isn't long already!
* Make an effort to enjoy it, whether I'm wearing it up or down. There are benefits to all lengths, and this is a journey :blossom:

And I also want to keep an eye on the ends, and see whether I can get away with keeping on with a quarterly bleach bath for the roots so I can keep it pink. Eventually, I want to switch to henna, but that'll be a permanent switch, so I want to get the most out of being pink before then.

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I love that you worked all that out! You get through conditioner at the same rate as my partner - his hair's just shy of hip right now.

I'm between TBL & classic. Boy, your partner's not stingy with product. ;) :p No, just kidding. I might start to use more product as I grow, which I didn't calculate (kind of hard to do). We'll see. I'm going to keep track of how many bottles or containers I empty by posting on the use up your stash thread, and then at the end of the year seeing what all I used up.

_fred_
January 4th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I'm between TBL & classic. Boy, your partner's not stingy with product. ;) :p No, just kidding. I might start to use more product as I grow, which I didn't calculate (kind of hard to do). We'll see. I'm going to keep track of how many bottles or containers I empty by posting on the use up your stash thread, and then at the end of the year seeing what all I used up.

LOL, he really isn't stingy, nope! But his hair needs it. 1c, and very thirsty! He's been trying out some tips I've been giving him from LHC, and it's really been helping. He's always been a heavy conditioner user, but he's a convert for leave-ins now too.

Best of luck using up your stash. I need to do similar, although my stash is mostly temporary hair dye.

lapushka
January 4th, 2018, 04:51 PM
LOL, he really isn't stingy, nope! But his hair needs it. 1c, and very thirsty! He's been trying out some tips I've been giving him from LHC, and it's really been helping. He's always been a heavy conditioner user, but he's a convert for leave-ins now too.

Best of luck using up your stash. I need to do similar, although my stash is mostly temporary hair dye.

Thanks so much! Good luck to you too. :)

yahirwaO.o
January 4th, 2018, 06:33 PM
My main goal is just to be back to my safe but awesome zone (APL-Chest Lenght). I feel so nice and confident when my hair is that length.

Regardless about products, Im ok with them, I've washing my hair with soap and my scalp agrees with it and I have this product that is made for kinly hair but oh my gosh it leaves this shine without weighing down that look too intense and kinda wiggy like but not quite (I like it :P)

Just like every year, I wish I could find a cure for frizzy hair without making it greasy or does not allow to survive a 2nd day hair. Until then heat is the only thing that works for me :rolleyes:

cjk
January 4th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Learning to care for my hair as it gets longer, learning to arrange it and braid it, and embracing myself as a legitimate long hair.

myn-d
January 4th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Going back to shampooing once per week with massage daily. No trimming for 2018.

Irialii
January 5th, 2018, 01:21 AM
1. Learn how to properly use the BBB I got for Christmas and integrate it into my hair routine.
2. Not rely on cones as much - I switched back to cones last year as my hair became so damaged, I've managed to baby my hair enough that I was able to trim the damage and maintain waist (so much for no trimming last year). My hair is a lot healthier so during the summer heat waves, I'd like to go conefree and cowash more.
3. Trim out the last of the damage and continue to maintain waist, then eventually grow to hip length (hopefully by June - July).
4. Find more protective styles, last few months have been a lot of lwb (normal and braided), artemis buns and braids.

yamsha23
January 5th, 2018, 02:17 AM
1. Wear every single hairtoy of my collection and not just grab my favorites
2. Use up my stash (4 shampoos and their conditioners left) then only buy what worked best
3. Try a good brand of solid shampoos without SLS
4. One trim this year in June
5. Sleep with hair cap or hair loose (tired of sleep braid and sleep bun)
6. Growing out the henna and never dyeing it again (except for blonder shades)!
7.Continue treating hair gently, brushing with BBB (became my favorite brush with time)
8. Not to be afraid of silicones. After waist lenght, it really became necessary for me.

tangocurl
January 6th, 2018, 03:36 PM
No curling iron!

I am holding onto my hairdryer because I might want to diffuse a bit on cold days.

cathair
January 6th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Wash it a little more and keep on trimming it.

dvep
January 8th, 2018, 05:12 PM
1) Making sure my hair stays moisturized, which means I can't push it when stretching washes since my hair needs conditioner badly.
2) Wearing more protective styles since I am prone to damage.
3) no trims! scary thought for me since I always want to eliminate damage but I'll avoid it unless I absolutely have to.
4) relaxing about my hair! especially regarding my front layers. I don't want my fairytaling to bother me so much and so I must not overthink all this. My hair WILL grow and I must have faith!

Beckstar
January 8th, 2018, 06:22 PM
To be able to have enough hair to braid by the end of the year.

EdG
January 8th, 2018, 06:43 PM
I am going to comb out the last of the persistent tangles and see if I can get back to waist-length.
Ed

Breezy
January 8th, 2018, 08:43 PM
I want to bun up for 3 months, so my hair, which has layers, will grow faster. It's been driving me crazy, I have bangs down to my cheeks too, so very awkward. The full length is BSL. Only this is it is hard to wear my hair up cuz I'm so used to it down and don't feel I look my best with my face all out there. I can do a pony tail with the claw clip and makes it look xtra long. I'm so tired of using heat tools and I put them away. I just need patience! I also want to do a lot of deep conditioners so my hair can heal.

Bhruninha
January 9th, 2018, 03:17 PM
No flat iron and no bleach for 2018. Made it 9 days so far!

lapushka
January 9th, 2018, 03:56 PM
No flat iron and no bleach for 2018. Made it 9 days so far!

9 days is as good a start as any! Good luck with the challenge. Might want to make it a yearly or half-yearly one, for others to join? No? Just throwing it out there. :)

Trip
January 9th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Dont cut my bangs again!!!! Hate the cycle of cutting them hating it growing them hating the grown out bangs and cutting them again

Trip
January 9th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Also learn how to braid my own hair/do cute buns and such. I get so angry trying to do it but have to find something other than the frumpy low ponytail i wear every day

Dark40
January 9th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Yes me too, that's why I'm on a low-buy not a no-buy. I'm allowing myself at least a few things and the freedom to enjoy a good sale.

Yeah, me too. I'm thinking about buying some more conditioners to co-wash and to also use as my daily conditioner within 2 weeks from now. I'm always looking out for good sales! Especially, on cheap coney conditioners!

Bhruninha
January 9th, 2018, 04:31 PM
9 days is as good a start as any! Good luck with the challenge. Might want to make it a yearly or half-yearly one, for others to join? No? Just throwing it out there. :)

Thank you lapushka, that's a great idea to keep me accountable.

RubberDucky
January 10th, 2018, 11:39 AM
My hair is all natural color now so no more dying. No trims - though I reserve the right to keep my bangs if growing them out looks bad on me. And little to no heat styling.

shaluwm_agape
January 10th, 2018, 12:59 PM
My hair goals for 2018 are to finish growing out this dye from july when i did it.
No more dying EVER!
And i did join the first half no trim challenge so. I will see how that goes but other then that to keep my hair healthy!😊

Pumpkin3826
January 11th, 2018, 08:36 AM
I have a few goals.. No trimming at all in 2018 including my "grown out" blunt bangs. To wear my hair up everyday. To piggy back off that I would like to learn more buns.. I seem to only be able to manage a lazy wrap bun. I also am measuring my hair monthly and taking a monthly hair photo to track the progress for my self. I think that is about it.. Lol. Good Luck every one on your goals! :cheer:

lapushka
January 11th, 2018, 05:04 PM
I have a few goals.. No trimming at all in 2018 including my "grown out" blunt bangs. To wear my hair up everyday. To piggy back off that I would like to learn more buns.. I seem to only be able to manage a lazy wrap bun. I also am measuring my hair monthly and taking a monthly hair photo to track the progress for my self. I think that is about it.. Lol. Good Luck every one on your goals! :cheer:

I'm stuck on a LWB myself. I never change it. It's a nice and comfortable bun so why bother to try anything different. A cinnamon bun is not as sturdy on me, this is far better. And a nautilus, my hair is layered, and somehow it's too "short" for it.

Andthetalltrees
January 11th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Benign neglect. It seems to thrive when I forget about it anyway, But I just don't want to be concerned by how much it's growing or anything. I have a routine I can stick to, It's easy and I'm not having any issues with my hair so it seems like a perfect time. I also want to go the full year without a trim, Which I don't think will be hard.

Cherriezzzzz
January 11th, 2018, 07:04 PM
I'd like to buy silky and/or velvety hair scrunchies, satin pillow cases, oil my hair more often and experiment with different oils, continue to stretch my washes, try samples of leave ins, continue to co-wash, continue to NOT cut.

My hair would be no where without LHC! A big "thank you" shout out to ALL!

Jo Ann
January 11th, 2018, 08:18 PM
So far, so good--fingercombing and combing with a wide-tooth comb are my friends!

No brushes for me...yet!

chomsky
January 12th, 2018, 12:12 PM
No buns!

I generally tend to bun using a hair elastic and usually because I'm too lazy to wash my hair. Its too short curly to use my hair sticks. No more! My scalp loves more frequent washes and this should encourage it, going wrll so far!

TiffPhares
January 12th, 2018, 04:30 PM
My hair goals are:
1-Grow from BSL to Waist. I have about 4.5in to go.
2-Wean myself from washing twice a week down to once
3-Wearing my hair up at least 5x a week. Wash day and day 2 can be down.

AReadersLife
January 12th, 2018, 11:04 PM
1. Only get one trim (and only from my best friend who I trust on this).
2. Actually use the products I own instead of buying more.
3. Use weaker bleach.

NikitaJane
January 13th, 2018, 07:31 AM
1. No trims all year
2. Stick with no dying (carry on growing out old dye)
3. Stick to no heat (keep air drying, no heat tools etc)
4. No hair ties (ribbon, forks and sticks only)
5. Grow from mid back to waist (4 inches to go) and carry on toward hip
6. Try CO washing
7. Learn more bun and braid hair styles

Guitargod
January 13th, 2018, 07:50 AM
https://i.imgur.com/pyFgOhr.jpg
Ditch the hairband on the left - actually already did that. I used those 24/7 before. Had to wear one of those the other day because I couldn't find another and it was almost painful to go back to.
Use the one in the middle less, and start wearing sticks to work also - I'm usually wearing a stick when I'm not at work unless it's loose.

lapushka
January 13th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Ditch the hairband on the left - actually already did that. I used those 24/7 before. Had to wear one of those the other day because I couldn't find another and it was almost painful to go back to.
Use the one in the middle less, and start wearing sticks to work also - I'm usually wearing a stick when I'm not at work unless it's loose.

I still use the ones on the left, for my trimming sessions - good tool to have, just sayin' if you ever want to do Feye's method or the compact cut method for layering at home. It's useful, still. So don't throw them out just yet!

Guitargod
January 13th, 2018, 08:05 AM
I still use the ones on the left, for my trimming sessions - good tool to have, just sayin' if you ever want to do Feye's method or the compact cut method for layering at home. It's useful, still. So don't throw them out just yet!

Yeah I'm using the one in the middle for trimming. The one on the very left is out though :)

lapushka
January 13th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Yeah I'm using the one in the middle for trimming. The one on the very left is out though :)

Oh OK! YMMV. I can't trim with the softer ones, I need my hair really secured and the ones on the left are the best for that IMMHO. I have really thick hair, so I need the strength of the elastics in my hair.

amiaow
January 13th, 2018, 10:26 PM
My resolution is to just grow (growing out Pixie... should hit shoulder if I grow all year) and learn some new hairstyles :)

C_Bookworm
January 13th, 2018, 10:45 PM
Learn more styles (buns or bun/braid combos in particular)

Not neglecting to braid my hair before bed when I’m tired

Rotating through my hairtoys

Join one of the swaps

AutobotsAttack
January 14th, 2018, 02:44 AM
Mostly just sleeping with my hair more protected. I’ve just been going to bed with my hair directly moving across my cotton bed covers and it’s been making my hair feel rough. I’ve also been wanting to do a full on year of stretching my next relaxer since I did a corrective one literally a week after my first relaxer. So I’m thinking about a full year to get my mind off of obsessing over when I’ll get to full hip length, and to practice more on some bun variations, and cornrows, and twists as protective styles. Rather excited and anxious.

almostghost
January 17th, 2018, 09:50 AM
I want to get down to 1 wash per week. It took a while (and a lot of days of looking icky), but I've finally managed to stretch to every 3 days! :D I do think I'll have a much easier time with stretching washes further now that my hair is long enough to put in a ponytail on the more oily days.

Also, I have an unfortunate history of going a bit too wild with experimenting and spending too much money on new stuff to try, so I'm only allowing myself to try one new experimental hair product per month this year. Replacing used up supplies doesn't count.

...I do have two new herbal powders (shikakai and amla) coming in Friday, but I'm counting one of those as the February item :p

Finally, I'm hoping to reach APL by the end of the year, but I guess that's not really up to me! I'll just treat my hair as nice as I can and hope it'll get there :)

emptyque
January 17th, 2018, 05:48 PM
I definitely need to use protective styles more often. That's the big one. Other than that, I'd like to try oiling my hair once a week and stretching my washes to twice a week (currently at 3).

ponine
January 22nd, 2018, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure if it's a bit late to be calling this a new year's resolution but I realized, and read to confirm, that using hot water in shower can cause heat damage, so I'll be trying to stop using hot water in the shower, at least for my hair.

abribun
January 22nd, 2018, 03:11 PM
My resolutions are:

1. No trims
2. Wash hair less
3. Grow to MBL (if not then past BSL)
4. Wear more protective styles.
5. Obsess with my length less.

Beeboo123
January 22nd, 2018, 11:11 PM
I trimmed off 1.5 inches by myself! I’m really happy, it was much easier than I expected. I can’t even see any unevenness, because my texture hides it. Never going to a hairdresser ever again!

leayellena
January 23rd, 2018, 03:10 AM
Microtrims while growing (trimming literally few mm), use the right conditioner and/leave-in/oil according to season change, bunning before sleep because it's more comfortable, quicker and breakage free than braids, buying a new beak clip because I found some rough "dots" on the sides of it, maybe even join the swap or buying a hair stick on Etsy?

arc691
January 23rd, 2018, 03:21 AM
Be extra careful when combing ^_^

Ariel love
February 22nd, 2018, 07:55 AM
My resolution for this year it no trims just S&D.