PDA

View Full Version : Lock of hair feels damaged

Beeboo123
January 2nd, 2018, 05:39 AM
The title says it- I have a lock of hair on my left that is unlike all the other hairs on my head. When I get splits, I get them from this lock, this lock feels dry and brittle and tangly. I can’t think of a reason for this, it’s not more exposed to damage than the rest of my hair is. When I get my hair trimmed, I have to get it cut to match this lock, to cut away the damage. Why is this happening?

I co-wash, I oil, I don’t use heat, I finger detangle, I use a silk sleeping cap, I carry bags on my right shoulder. Help me, please?

draysmir
January 2nd, 2018, 06:16 AM
Do you wear a similar updo everyday? That could cause stress and eventually breakage in a certain section of your hair. Or do you wear your hair over the same shoulder when you wear it down? That would leave one side more exposed to mechanical/environmental damage. I would try to think of anything that can come in contact/more manipulation with that side of your hair more than the other. I hope you figure out what's causing the damage! :)

lapushka
January 2nd, 2018, 06:18 AM
Is it in the front or in the back (nape)? Do you wear your hair down a lot, because that might explain a whole lot of things!

school of fish
January 2nd, 2018, 06:31 AM
Where is that lock located on your head? That might provide a clue. Perhaps something like a purse strap or car seat belt - friction hazards that are one-sided - could be potential culprits?

Olavi
January 2nd, 2018, 07:15 AM
I have similar lock of hair on the right back of my head that is more prone to damage than the rest of my hair, and according to my mom I have had it in the same place since I was a small child. It has been pretty tame for a while now, but I'm not sure why. Maybe luck?

Beeboo123
January 2nd, 2018, 08:22 AM
Is it in the front or in the back (nape)? Do you wear your hair down a lot, because that might explain a whole lot of things!

It’s neither in the front or the back... If I gathered the left side of my head of hair into a ponytail, it would be in the middle of the circle. It’s just so strange, it’s less exposed to damage than other hairs.

I do wear my hair “down”, but covered with a scarf or hair net. This lock isn’t in contact with anything except other hairs.

Chromis
January 2nd, 2018, 08:31 AM
I think this happens sometimes when there is a cluster of funny shaped hair follicles. Napes and temples seem especially prone to this kind of thing and tend to have a very short terminal length in general. It seems to be pretty common on here, not really something to worry too much about. Some people have a little patch of them like you, others find fandom hairs of wildly different texture. Usually you see threads of finer-haired people who are confused at having random thicker curly strands, but it works in reverse too. (I think we have fewer threads for that since it is less obvious)

I find oiling that spot a bit makes a big difference for me, but scalp oiling is very subjective. I only use a drop or two.

Beeboo123
January 2nd, 2018, 08:48 AM
I think this happens sometimes when there is a cluster of funny shaped hair follicles. Napes and temples seem especially prone to this kind of thing and tend to have a very short terminal length in general. It seems to be pretty common on here, not really something to worry too much about. Some people have a little patch of them like you, others find fandom hairs of wildly different texture. Usually you see threads of finer-haired people who are confused at having random thicker curly strands, but it works in reverse too. (I think we have fewer threads for that since it is less obvious)

I find oiling that spot a bit makes a big difference for me, but scalp oiling is very subjective. I only use a drop or two.

Ahhh yes! It’s a slightly different color, and coarser and curlier (nearly kinky) the rest of my hair

Shorty89
January 2nd, 2018, 09:12 AM
I also have a couple spots where the hair gets damaged more easily. I just try to S&D my nape and. Temple area hairs more often.

Arctic
January 2nd, 2018, 09:19 AM
Sounds like they are not damage, just some hairs with different texture, like others have already said. You can try to keep them moisturized and ignore them. :) They are very normal!

school of fish
January 2nd, 2018, 09:32 AM
My next suggestion after mechanical damage was going to be a random natural patch that grows with a different texture ;) It is indeed fairly common as others have indicated, and no cause for concern. It just becomes a matter of figuring out what kind of 'spot treatment' that patch needs differently than the rest of your hair - a different way of oiling, trimming/S&D on a different schedule, etc... or just putting up with that section as a rebel :p

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 2nd, 2018, 02:07 PM
I have a section like that toward the front of my head. I just ignore it and try to s&d that section a lot more than the rest of my hair.

Alex Lou
January 2nd, 2018, 04:25 PM
My random coarser and kinky strands are also more prone to split.

Shorty89
January 3rd, 2018, 09:20 AM
My random coarser and kinky strands are also more prone to split.

That's the opposite of me. It's the really fine hairs that get all tangled and split on me.

Alex Lou
January 3rd, 2018, 09:53 AM
That's the opposite of me. It's the really fine hairs that get all tangled and split on me.

My fine ones split too but only at the ends. Or maybe if they split higher, they just break off so I don't notice. Meanwhile the really coarse ones will "branch" with each side the width of a normal hair. Or if it does break off, it will stick out where I can see it because it's kinky and wiry. My fine hairs are all straight. They behave.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2018, 11:08 AM
I don't really have a lock that is different, but just one hair. I have a "mole" on the back of my head (slightly protruding), it has been there for as long as I can remember, and next to it, this one thick wiry black kinky curly hair grows out of my scalp. It's odd, and it doesn't grow long for some reason (shoulder) but it's there. Sometimes I can find it, most times I cannot. I just leave it be. :)