PDA

View Full Version : Oiling rules clarification

CreatureBailey
January 1st, 2018, 10:01 PM
I've got a few questions. Is it good to keep the hair oiled all the time? I've been having coconut oil on my hair for days.

It's weird cause I see people saying it's great to oil hair. But then some say we have to let it breathe sometimes? So what's the healthiest balance?

I know the scalp has to breathe and it's not a good idea to keep product build up on it. But is it okay to let the hair keep build up?

Zalicat
January 1st, 2018, 11:02 PM
Its probably a personal preference I've read that some people find it increases hair fall and for others it decreases maybe play around and see what works for you

LadyCelestina
January 2nd, 2018, 01:23 AM
Hair doesn't breathe. If you use conditioner you already probably have coatings on it all the time anyway.

sumidha
January 2nd, 2018, 01:27 AM
There are no rules. ;)

Nique1202
January 2nd, 2018, 03:35 AM
The only rule I think is absolutely true for everyone in haircare is do what makes your scalp happy, and within that, do what makes you happy with your hair. If keeping your hair oiled all the time doesn't irritate your scalp or cause extra hairfall, and if it makes you happier with your hair (that might mean you like the slick look, or it's easier to manage, or anything at all), then there's nothing wrong with it.

CreatureBailey
January 2nd, 2018, 03:52 AM
I only keep the ends oiled aha. There's no oil near my scalp. :)

victorian girl
January 2nd, 2018, 04:11 AM

That's totally fine, in my opinion! I don't think that it can cause your hair any distress.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2018, 05:09 AM
I've got a few questions. Is it good to keep the hair oiled all the time? I've been having coconut oil on my hair for days.

It's weird cause I see people saying it's great to oil hair. But then some say we have to let it breathe sometimes? So what's the healthiest balance?

I know the scalp has to breathe and it's not a good idea to keep product build up on it. But is it okay to let the hair keep build up?

I don't do it personally, and I also don't think it's a good thing to keep it oiled all the time, but that's for *me*. I don't like oil on my hair all the time. That being said, I do do oil rinses on my hair (see signature) and that keeps my hair moisturized for the week, so there is no need to add in more.

In the end it boils down to what you want and what your hair can take.

Chromis
January 2nd, 2018, 07:04 AM
There are no universal rules!

I oil my scalp for instance. Not my whole scalp, but right up front by the hairline, right in the middle because that always gets a bit dry and tends to flake if I don't oil it. If I oil it after washing, no problemo! I also oil my length. I always oil it once it is dry (and some like damp oiling instead!) and then I oil it a bit more for the next couple of days after that too. I prefer to use tiny amounts more often, so it never has a heavily oiled appearance. I feel it works better for me this way since if I use too much I get more lint. Others like more of a deep treatment effect.

Nique1202
January 2nd, 2018, 07:07 AM

Either way, as long as it makes you feel better about your hair in any way, there's no reason not to do it.

amiraaah
January 2nd, 2018, 08:41 AM
I used to drench my hair and scalp in coconut oil and leave it for 2 days or even more,but this caused massive shedding so I Stopped and then I wanted to try it again with another oil i used (castor+olive+mustard) just a little bit on my fingers and massaged my scalp with it and left it for 2/3 days(I had normal shedding just 30 strands or something).so for me putting it depends on the amount of oil and the oil itself.

Hairkay
January 2nd, 2018, 09:00 AM
There are no rules. ;)

Yes there's no rules at all.

I put a tiny bit of oil on my hair ends daily. Occasionally I need to treat a dry flaky skin patch on my scalp then that patch gets some olive oil and it later gets washed off with some oat water. Sometimes I'll dunk my head in an oil bath so a trace of that oil, coconut/olive/almond may remain behind but this gets washed off with a shower the following day.

Do as you wish.

sarahthegemini
January 2nd, 2018, 09:24 AM
There are no rules, do what you want...

Zesty
January 2nd, 2018, 09:25 AM
No universal rules. :) I neeeeever put oil on my scalp, but I like to do prewash oilings on my length and a tiny bit for LOC. So there's pretty much oil on my hair all the time, just to different degrees. Hair doesn't "breathe," so oil away. Just watch for buildup or other negative effects, especially with coconut oil, since it can make some people's ends crunchy.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2018, 11:17 AM
No universal rules. :) I neeeeever put oil on my scalp, but I like to do prewash oilings on my length and a tiny bit for LOC. So there's pretty much oil on my hair all the time, just to different degrees. Hair doesn't "breathe," so oil away. Just watch for buildup or other negative effects, especially with coconut oil, since it can make some people's ends crunchy.

Same here. I can't use oils on the scalp (or conditioner) due to SD (seborrheic dermatitis). But I love the rinse-out oil method (oil rinse). I hardly use oils any other way than that. Hardly. Yes, a serum, sometimes few drops of MO in the LOC/LCO method, but I have so much of the serum left that I use that rather than oil for styling.

CreatureBailey
January 2nd, 2018, 11:25 AM
I know if the scalp has too much on it it can cause hairfall. But if it's just my ends it shouldn't?

Is build up negative just because of the crunchy effect or does it like destroy the hair particles or something because there's too much on it?

sarahthegemini
January 2nd, 2018, 12:46 PM
If you're washing regularly I don't see how build up would be an issue.

Zesty
January 2nd, 2018, 01:57 PM
I know if the scalp has too much on it it can cause hairfall. But if it's just my ends it shouldn't?

Is build up negative just because of the crunchy effect or does it like destroy the hair particles or something because there's too much on it?

If you don't apply oils to your scalp you should be good. And I'm not an expert on the science behind it, but my thought would be that build up will cause your hair to tangle and break more easily. But a clarifying wash every once in a while should prevent that. I wouldn't worry too much. :flower:

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 2nd, 2018, 02:04 PM
As long as the hair is in a protective style for the most part, I dont see the issue.
There are no rules. In fact, I have a bit of oil on my hair 24/7 every day, because I do LOC.
The only issue I could see is that oiled hair collects dust and dirt 10x quicker.
My hair always collects a little dust and that leads to tangles and breakage. But im learning to not constantly rake my hair - thus keeping my curl pattern. So I dont face this problem too often but when I do it has everything to do with the oil I left behind on my length.
But as long as you wash regularly, and clarify every once in awhile youll be fine.

Chromis
January 2nd, 2018, 04:14 PM
And again, some of us can oil our scalps just fine! It really is a case of "Your Mileage May Vary"

Alissalocks
January 2nd, 2018, 04:26 PM
I also will leave oil (sweet almond) on for days at a time when staying home or wearing it braided and pinned away. I avoid my scalp, that's my experience though, no rules as others have said. But I have such thin hair and live in a very dry environment, so oil has made a tremendous difference, in all the right ways!

Enjoy oiling :)

YvetteVarie
January 3rd, 2018, 07:14 AM
I oil heavily with heavy oils and butters and my hair and scalp are fine with it. In fact, the heavier the oil and the more I use it, my retention improves. Like everything else in hair care, YMMV

lapushka
January 3rd, 2018, 02:12 PM
It is odd, but I'm throwing it out there, it's been now... 6 or 7 consecutive oil rinse weeks for me, without fail, and I have noticed less lint traveling to my ends with prolonged uninterrupted use. Isn't that odd? Or maybe it is because I typically oil in between shampoo & conditioner. Just thought I'd mention it. I still use a serum on my ends (LOC/LCO) but that doesn't seem to matter.