PDA

View Full Version : Happy new year! Who else made it the whole year?

cjk
January 1st, 2018, 11:59 AM
With all the talk of no-trim years and so forth I've not seen a check in thread, so I'll make one myself.

Happy new year!

I started from razor shaved sides and some bristles on top. Bald. And I made it the entire year without trimming. As I've never had hair that wasn't cut into a short sides/back, I had no idea that I have this much texture.

Enjoying this!

Are there any tips for a first timer as I move into my second year of growth? Should I get a minor trim preemptively, to maintain its health? My beard is prone to split ends, but has a very different texture than my head hair.

Any suggestions are welcome.

https://i.imgur.com/eWIaECr_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/MwR3pO8_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/N7pKXjJ_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Sarahlabyrinth
January 1st, 2018, 12:37 PM
Wow, you've had such wonderful growth, and look at those waves! I have also just completed a year with no trims.

Eastbound&Down
January 1st, 2018, 01:21 PM
I made it another year, and starting on the new challenge today. Hopefully a can make it to BSL or close by the end of this year.

Corvana
January 1st, 2018, 01:35 PM
I suuuuure didn't! But I was at the point of growing out an undercut where I needed to start trimming. Every time a layer hit shoulder under my top layer, I'd cut to shoulder to even out. Took... like 4 or so trims? I still have one left, technically, but it's really well blended right now and I didn't even notice it until I was sectioning my hair for a half-up.

I just really hated having longer hair on the outside and then steps of shorter hair on the underside :laugh:

But I did make it for the no trim last half of 2017!

melikai
January 1st, 2018, 04:33 PM
Do microtrims count? If not, then I did! I didn't trim at all for a couple of years, I think, but now my ends really need the tiny trims and S&D to squeak on through. I'll be continuing this indefinitely!

Groovy Granny
January 1st, 2018, 04:41 PM
With all the talk of no-trim years and so forth I've not seen a check in thread, so I'll make one myself.

Happy new year!

I started from razor shaved sides and some bristles on top. Bald. And I made it the entire year without trimming. As I've never had hair that wasn't cut into a short sides/back, I had no idea that I have this much texture.

Enjoying this!

Are there any tips for a first timer as I move into my second year of growth? Should I get a minor trim preemptively, to maintain its health? My beard is prone to split ends, but has a very different texture than my head hair.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Congrats; wow...what great growth, color and texture :applause:

If your hair is in good condition and has no splits...there is no need to trim and lose what you have gained...IMHO ;)

How long do you hope to grow to?

You will rock it long :rockerdud

cjk
January 1st, 2018, 08:20 PM
Congrats; wow...what great growth, color and texture :applause:

If your hair is in good condition and has no splits...there is no need to trim and lose what you have gained...IMHO ;)

How long do you hope to grow to?

You will rock it long :rockerdud

I have no specific goal. Figured since I started from slick bald I'd just et it go and see what happens, while I have my hair. About a decade ago I had medication induced thinning which was camouflaged with a flattop, and some subsequent textural changes. More recently it's the ravages of age...guys in their upper 40s often tend to thin on top.

Figured I should grow it while I've got it.

I want a ponytail. I want a bun. I want a proper braid. Those are my goals. And I'm getting closer.

Hexen
January 1st, 2018, 09:07 PM
Very nice my friend! And happy new year to you.

To say you had no idea you had that much texture from having it cut so far down, for so long, must feel like discovering some kind of treasure or something. Tis gotta be a good feeling for sure. So, ponytails, buns, and braids. I say whatever you want, (even if non-hair related), if you want it...go for it! And fortunately in a scenario such as this one, it would seem that all ya need to do is continue to be patient. And you'll get what you want! :thumbsup::rockerdud

Wildcat Diva
January 3rd, 2018, 09:31 AM
Nice growth! As for the beard, I know my husband likes to get his trimmed every few weeks just to maintain a shape he likes, and he feels like on him, the sides by his face get too bushy for his preference. It seems for him, he is not interested in growing a super long beard, but rather that it has the shape he wants.

What you want to do now as far as trims go, will probably depend on what your goals are for the beard.