PDA

View Full Version : tea rinse questions!

softheartedandl
December 30th, 2017, 03:57 PM
hello everyone! i've been browsing the LHC forums for about a week but this is my first post, so please forgive me if something is askew!

i've recently come across youtube videos by Steph Arizona for tea rinses that i really want to try, but due to an irrational fear that my hair will all fall out from trying something new, i have to do as much research and get as much reassurance as possible. there's one for white tea (here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwOsa8fx_3s&list=WL&index=39)) and chamomile tea (here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEg-A0iLo_s&list=WL&index=37)). i've looked up tea rinses on the LHC forum and found a lot of results, but none for white tea and chamomile specifically. have any of you tried white or chamomile tea rinses, and did you like the results?

also, tea rinses (as well as apple cider vinegar rinses) should be used after washing and conditioning, correct?

thanks everyone!

HaMalka
December 30th, 2017, 07:14 PM
I have never used tea rinses but I have used apple cider vinegar and I did it diluted to 1 part acv to 3 or 4 parts water and then it got diluted more because I was using it in the shower after I washed and conditioned. The white tea rinse and the chamomile one claim to make hair grow faster but this will probably not happen. Your hair will probably not all fall out if you use the tea rinses as instructed. However as I have never used tea rinses I make no guarantees.

Reyn127
December 30th, 2017, 08:14 PM
I have done many tea rinses, including chamomile. Here are my insights:

Unless your scalp is easily irritated, you should be fine putting tea on your scalp. It shouldn't make your hair fall out. BUT, doing a lot of tea rinses can sometimes cause buildup, which can be a bit of a problem over time if you don't get your scalp clarified, ever. (Using regular old shampoo pretty much does the job, as far as I'm aware.)

I would recommend steeping the tea for the normal amount of time, don't steep it forever thinking you will get better results. The longer it is steeped, the more tannins come out, and the tannins are mainly what cause buildup and can also stain your hair, over time. (I believe so, but I may be slightly incorrect)

As far as when to do a tea rinse, I think definitely after shampooing. I'm not certain if before or after conditioning would be the better way to do it, but definitely after shampooing. And vinegar rinses generally should be done at the end as well.

I hope this helps a bit, and have fun experimenting!

softheartedandl
December 30th, 2017, 10:15 PM
thanks, y'all! i'm definitely going to try it out. tomorrow night is the next time i wash my hair, but i think i'm going to do an ACV rinse first, because i've been having some scalp issues as of late.

Dems
December 31st, 2017, 06:52 AM
I think on the hair falling out front you will be just fine! As mentioned as long as it's not oversteeped it will not be damaging :) I really enjoy doing a green tea rinse after conditioning followed by a cold water rinse. (Very chilly this time of year!) Just have a play around and I'm sure you'll find a routine that you like :)

ReptilianFeline
January 1st, 2018, 07:40 AM
I don't use regular shampoo at the moment, and have found that a lemon green tea rinse is better for me than ACV rinses. I also sometimes do linden tea rinses, but that does creat a bit of buildup so I need to rinse after that. I also rinse with plain water after the lemon tea rinse.
I put the tea bag in a jar, fill it with hot water and let it steep until I use it in the evening. I want the stain from the tea, so that's why, espesially if I add a bag of nettle tea to the mix.

A tea rinse won't make your hair fall out as far as I know.

Herbal tea that contain no real tea leaves need to steep longer even when you just want to drink it.

Welcome to the forum!

Kat
January 1st, 2018, 08:09 AM
I've not used white tea on my hair, but I've used black tea and I think green tea, and both are fine. I've also used chamomile (it's a regular staple in my herbal hair rinse). Your hair won't fall out from them. :) I can't guarantee your hair will love it or even like it, but it shouldn't be overly detrimental.

valkyrie90
January 1st, 2018, 08:22 AM
I did couple of green tea rinse before . It didn't do much to my hair but didn't make my hair fall out either. It just felt fresh. That's all it did. I also learn that anything moiturizing will make my hair shred a bit. I don't mind it though. Experimenting is fun. Don't panic. Enjoy it.

marvel-lover
January 1st, 2018, 08:47 AM
Hi! I've done camomile rinses before! I liked what it did to my hair; my hair is already a dark blonde/golden blonde (lighting makes a difference) so the rinse helped bring out my color. It was also incredibly soothing, and I loved the smell! I haven't done them since, because I barely have enough time to wash my hair, let alone make the rinse. Hope this helps!

ggallagher27
January 22nd, 2018, 01:21 PM
I'm wanting to try tea rinses, however like you .... have found so much conflicting info. Pre wash? After shampoo? After conditioner? Leave in or rinse out? I know that it's what you decide, but I am overwhelmed on choosing!!! I think I'm going to just take th plunge and do it pre conditioner, rinse it out, put in condtioner. Good luck!