PDA

View Full Version : intermittent fasting and hair growth

my2cats1
December 29th, 2017, 08:02 PM
i’m interested in intermittent fasting, and am considering a regimen of fasting two days a week. Has anyone here done IF long term, and of so, were there any effects to your hair growth rate?
i know there are many strong opinions about IF being good or bad. I don’t intend to continue that debate here, but rather explore the experiences of those who have done IF (in any of its many forms/schedules) and their affects to hair, if any.
thanks, all!

Chromis
December 29th, 2017, 08:39 PM
Yep, I do this. If I restrict too much I get hairfall, but that is not a problem normally with IF.

lucid
December 29th, 2017, 10:04 PM
IF is my preferred way of eating, I didn't even know it was called anything until a year ago, it's just my natural eating pattern. I've been eating like this since I was a teenager, probably 70% of the time. I find that I eat more with IF, as I get much more hungry and therefore eat bigger meals. I have never noticed any increased shedding with IF compared to when I eat regularly - as long as total calorie intake is sufficient. I have however experienced massive TE from under eating and being under weight, so just be sure that you're actually eating enough calories throughout the day and you should be fine.

Just be sure to make your eating window big enough, women have to be a little more careful than men, because of hormones :)

Silverbleed
December 30th, 2017, 06:12 AM
I too have always done this apparently but I never knew it had a name. Also didn't do it on purpose, I just don't eat when I'm not hungry.

I never had any severe hair loss, really. The only times it was more than usual was because of season changes. But it's always been about as much as a pea. And my hair still keeps on growing. So, I don't know, if you don't do anything extreme and get your nutrients I don't think it's any problem.

butterfly_dream
December 30th, 2017, 06:44 AM
I am on IF for a couple a years now (16/8 schedule) and I have never noticed any adverse effect from that. I am training fasted as well.

my2cats1
December 30th, 2017, 08:31 PM
Good to know. thanks for your feedback, everyone! and happy new year.