PDA

View Full Version : Hot Oil Treatments

Dark40
December 28th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Hi all,

How do you feel about doing hot oil treatments? A little about my hair. During the winter months it tends to get very dry, and my hair texture is chemically relaxed. I think that they are very beneficial to relaxed or chemically-treated hair! I just wanted to know your thoughts and feelings on it?

Deborah
December 29th, 2017, 12:07 PM
If you search "hot oil treatments" I'm sure you will find lots of older threads on this subject. Good luck!

Lanalavallama
December 29th, 2017, 12:36 PM
I love them - huge improvement to my hair when I do them.

lapushka
December 29th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Hi all,

How do you feel about doing hot oil treatments? A little about my hair. During the winter months it tends to get very dry, and my hair texture is chemically relaxed. I think that they are very beneficial to relaxed or chemically-treated hair! I just wanted to know your thoughts and feelings on it?

I don't do them; I do the rinse-out oil method but I never heat my oil.

Dark40
December 29th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Thanks Deborah! :)

Dark40
December 29th, 2017, 06:19 PM
I don't do them; I do the rinse-out oil method but I never heat my oil.

Ok, Yeah I know that you always do the rinse-out oil method. For many years I've always heated my oils up to a comfortable temperature. Then, I would apply it to my hair and scalp.

Dark40
December 29th, 2017, 06:20 PM
I love them - huge improvement to my hair when I do them.

Oh yeah, I love them too. I also noticed that when I do them there is a big improvement in my hair afterwards.

school of fish
December 29th, 2017, 08:29 PM
I used to (and kind of still do) think of hot oil treatments as something so luxurious and pampering... it's always sounded to me like some kind of magical hair indulgence - very likely due to seeing V05 hot oil treatment ads at a young and impressionable age ;)

However, my hair *hates* oils and I know - I know - that if I gave it a try I'd regret it immediately. It's a little sad-making to me because it still really does sound so enticing... so I'll just live vicariously through all of you who do hot oil treatments, lol!!

yahirwaO.o
December 29th, 2017, 08:48 PM
I used to (and kind of still do) think of hot oil treatments as something so luxurious and pampering... it's always sounded to me like some kind of magical hair indulgence - very likely due to seeing V05 hot oil treatment ads at a young and impressionable age ;)

However, my hair *hates* oils and I know - I know - that if I gave it a try I'd regret it immediately. It's a little sad-making to me because it still really does sound so enticing... so I'll just live vicariously through all of you who do hot oil treatments, lol!!

Maybe you could try light oiling instead. I know a lot of people think a lot is more but for fine straightheads less is more. What works for me is oling, then I condition my hair and then I wash with shampoo. This gets all the residue out for me while still looking fresh and bouncy! :P Somehow conditioner after oiling does wonders!

Hmmm I 've gone hot oil treatments for relaxing from anxiety some years ago it worked but Im kinda lazy to heat it up so I simply put it in my hair. Other thing is I simplu put in my strands not my scalp. Otherwise i shed like there's no tomorrow ha!

There are several thread about this and sure works a lot. I kinda feel it is also a very oldfashioned but good trick from previous times

school of fish
December 29th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Maybe you could try light oiling instead. I know a lot of people think a lot is more but for fine straightheads less is more. What works for me is oling, then I condition my hair and then I wash with shampoo. This gets all the residue out for me while still looking fresh and bouncy! :P Somehow conditioner after oiling does wonders!

Rinse-out oil is the only oiling method my hair will tolerate - any other method, even using minute quantities, results in... unpleasantness, hahaha!! I've done a tonne of experimenting with various oils, amounts and methods, and it's just one of those things that simply will not seem to work for me. Sadly, conditioner doesn't seem to do any better at removing oil from my strands than shampoo, and oil simply doesn't absorb in :( When I do rinse-out oil it's literally drops - 5 maximum - and I only do it to combat static in wintertime when we have constant sub-zero temperatures and round-the-clock indoor heating. My hair doesn't even like my own sebum, that's how much it rebels!! Hahaha!!!

Thank you for the suggestions though! I have a feeling if I didn't henna I might have a bit more success with some of these methods - I suspect that years of henna applications have sealed the cuticle shut so tight that nothing can really absorb effectively...

Dark40
December 30th, 2017, 05:30 PM
school of fish, Oh yes, I do remember those Alberto VO5 hot oil treatment ads back in the old days. That's what I also use on my hair for hot oil treatments too. I also use other light oils on my hair for my hot oil treatments as well. I'm so sorry that your hair can't tolerate any oils or conditioners. That is very sad. :(