PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep track of hair growth?

Pumpkin3826
December 28th, 2017, 07:08 AM
I have been growing my hair for about 3 and half years. Since starting this journey I didn't really take measurements or frequent photos. I just kind of let it grow with the occasional yearly photo. Now that I am getting more into the hair growth journey and it has become more of an obsession I want to start measuring and taking photos monthly. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what they do, if they track it monthly, take photos?

I started at the end of November 17' with my first log into a hair journey book. A couple problems presented when I went to take Decembers measurements.. In November when I took my first measurements, Unfortunately I did not write down if I measured on dry hair or wet hair, and I measured from the crown part of my head which I am realizing now was a mistake. I can't be certain I am measuring from the same part of my crown as I did the month before. I was thinking measuring on wet hair might be better because then the roots do not have any volume and you would get a more accurate number.. I also measured my blunt bangs since I am growing those out. The bangs are a little easier for measuring since I can do that right from my middle part. I decided to measure the rest of my hair from the front of my hairline and put the tape measure right down my middle part straight down the back. I know this will not tell me how long my hair is correctly, I am more so just looking for a means to be able to track how much it grows a month. I know there is better ways out there to get the exact hair length but just for measuring monthly growth I am hoping this will be a good method.

When I took December's measurements it concluded that my bangs have grown .5 inches, but that my over all hair length lost .5 inches.. that is what made me want to post on here and ask for help. I know I did not loose overall length I think I just held the tape measurer up higher on my crown. Just seeing that number bummed me out.. I was so looking forward to "measure day" to see how my hair had progressed and to realize I messed it up was such a let down. It made me worry I had hit my terminal length at just BCL. I don't want to sound ungrateful because I am very thankful that I can even grow hair down to BCL I just had my eyes set on so much longer.. The only way I can explain that feeling would be like taking monthly photos for 2 months then realizing none of the photos saved.. All that built up hope and excitement down the drain. :rolleyes:

Started in January I am going to measure my hair once every 4 weeks, after I wash it on Sunday. I will let it dry in my twisty turby for 10 minutes then comb it out and take the measurements. Then I will try to take photos from the back and from the front to track bang progress. I am hoping to see some progress by march or April. Now that I will be measuring from the front hairline I hope I wont mess it up, I will be able to get it in the same spot every month.

Here is to the new year and new chances!!!

lapushka
December 28th, 2017, 07:27 AM
That's how I do it. I've reached classic before, and before reaching that, beyond BSL I started measuring relative to milestones, so X-number of inches until waist, and so on. A milestone at a time. It worked for me. Now I just let it grow, because I know I can reach the milestone easily and... it will get there.

Started in January I am going to measure my hair once every 4 weeks, after I wash it on Sunday. I will let it dry in my twisty turby for 10 minutes then comb it out and take the measurements. Then I will try to take photos from the back and from the front to track bang progress. I am hoping to see some progress by march or April. Now that I will be measuring from the front hairline I hope I wont mess it up, I will be able to get it in the same spot every month.

Here is to the new year and new chances!!!

Sounds like a plan. :) In a months' time there's going to be little progress, visible progress. It's good that you're keeping spring in mind as your first real check-in.

Deborah
December 28th, 2017, 12:14 PM
The LHC way to measure hair is not from the crown, but from the middle of your hairline on your forehead, then down over the head to your hair's ending (hemline). This gives the most consistent and accurate measurement, and is the easiest way to assess hair growth.

hayheadsbird
December 28th, 2017, 01:13 PM
I use the spreadsheet that a member here shared. It keeps track for me and calculates growth rate, and can give an estimated date on milestones.

For measuring I use the lhc method of front hair line over to hemline. My measuring I'd not incredibly accurate I suspect, but good enough for keeping an informal track of growth and progress.

Eastbound&Down
December 28th, 2017, 01:23 PM
I don't use measurements, I simply go with milestones and approximate length. I have a t-shirt that I have marked in 1-inch segments and at what length each milestone would be my me personally. Every person is different, 16 inches of hair on me could be a completely different "milestone" marker on you. The shirt keeps me from becoming too obsessive, because mirco-focusing on things can lead to anxiety for me.

Corvana
December 29th, 2017, 01:19 AM
I have a spreadsheet, one that was linked on here somewhere.

I feel like it will probably stop getting any use once I've hit APL... I'm already pretty chill on the measuring (previously it was hard to not measure weekly :rolleyes:), and I figure by about APL I'll be in the realm of actual physical milestones I can see more easily.

I measure from my front hairline, and over the back. It's the easiest way to get a consistent measurement. And if you want to know how long your hair is from your crown, just measure from your front hairline to your crown and write that down. Then you just need to subtract that from your length measurement to know how long your hair is "visually".

Futurapunzel
December 29th, 2017, 02:41 AM
I also go by milestones and only use a tape measure every 3 months. I started off measuring monthly and using a t shirt with the marked lines, but my wispy flippy ends always lay differently so I got frustrated with that and the fact that some months it would appear not to grow. I know that by giving it 3 months apart I'm sure to see some growth, even if it's a tiny amount any progress is alot more encouraging than no progress. I have a paper estimation of how many inches to each milestone and what month/ year I'm set to reach them according to my growth/ trim rate, and I adjust the dates if I'm running slightly ahead or behind, but this is just for a bit of fun really.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 29th, 2017, 05:37 AM
I measure my hair once a month and also take a monthly photo. I keep the photos in a book and have another notebook where I write the year, month, and hair length each month.

lapushka
December 29th, 2017, 07:10 AM
I measure my hair once a month and also take a monthly photo. I keep the photos in a book and have another notebook where I write the year, month, and hair length each month.

That's some dedication right there! I just go by visuals and milestones. I stopped measuring a long long time ago.

leayellena
December 29th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I check where my ends are. I sometimes straighten my hair with my palms because my hair flips at the ends. I will take a photo every month since next year and I am subscriber in the monthly photo 2018 thread.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 29th, 2017, 09:10 AM
That's some dedication right there! I just go by visuals and milestones. I stopped measuring a long long time ago.

It's a bit obsessive :) :p It's fun to look back though and see the progress made.

lapushka
December 29th, 2017, 09:37 AM
It's a bit obsessive :) :p It's fun to look back though and see the progress made.

I bet! :D That's awesome to have! :)

andryssa
January 1st, 2018, 12:12 PM
I have a paper notebook where I have noted my every measurement (since 2012). I measure every month (with some gaps) to see if my hair is still growing :) I don't take photos though, I do them from time to time.

Stray_mind
January 3rd, 2018, 06:50 AM
Trough monthly length photos. Other than that i jus leave it alone and don't obsess over it too much.

YvetteVarie
January 3rd, 2018, 07:01 AM
This year I'm planning to take pictures of my progress every quarter. I am now much serious about growing out my hair since my DS is now older

Groovy Granny
January 3rd, 2018, 04:37 PM
I was getting too focused on growth (or lack of) so I just started going by visual milestones.

Pics are not an option for me with a basic camera, bad lighting and no help; measuring was too inaccurate with my wurls.

There are enough 'markers' on my back to go by ;) and I am happy just to get a rough estimate on how long it will take to get to the next milestone.

I can see and feel the changes easily enough to keep me motivated but not fixated.

Zesty
January 3rd, 2018, 04:48 PM
I do take a monthly photo, but measuring every month would drive me bonkers, especially if I were doing it on my own. If you *do* want to do that, your method sounds pretty good. I would think stretched in some manner and from the front hairline would be the way to go.

I do my length photos in the same garment (though it has changed over the years) against a blank wall if possible, in indirect sunlight if possible, with my phone on a tripod with a remote shutter.

AutobotsAttack
January 26th, 2018, 02:15 PM
This year I'm planning to take pictures of my progress every quarter. I am now much serious about growing out my hair since my DS is now older

I’ve been a picture taker for years now. Clothes and bras constantly look different on me so I just take pictures of my bare back usually and save them on my phone for progress. Or I put them here.

Robi-Bird
January 26th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Where it hits on my body front and back. I'm lousy at length shots. TB should be belly button on me.

PixieP
January 26th, 2018, 02:33 PM
My hair is at belly button now :D if I was skinnier it would probably be around the front hipbone! But alas, I have a lottt of stomach.

Robi-Bird
January 26th, 2018, 02:35 PM
My hair is at belly button now :D if I was skinnier it would probably be around the front hipbone! But alas, I have a lottt of stomach.
I have a lot of breast XD so still need to grow a bit.

AutobotsAttack
January 26th, 2018, 03:21 PM
I have a lot of breast XD so still need to grow a bit.

Lot of bum over here lol.

Robi-Bird
January 26th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Lot of bum over here lol.

None of that to grow over here. Flat butt XD

AutobotsAttack
January 26th, 2018, 03:27 PM
None of that to grow over here. Flat butt XD

Hey I’d give a limb to be able to fit back into my old size jeans from high school.

Robi-Bird
January 26th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Hey I’d give a limb to be able to fit back into my old size jeans from high school.

I can do that. But I need to wear belts because the rump is that lacking. I had breast reduction over a decade ago, that didn't stop them from growing but whatever, I thought it would've been nice if my genetic could've divided my fat stores a bit more evenly.

Keratin could have been divided up too. My hair is strong and grows like a weed. My nails break if I breath near them. Eh, is what is.

chomsky
January 26th, 2018, 03:57 PM
I just stretch it and see, for all I know my hair has not grown in months! :lol: Every trim my mum takes a photo though, so I can see if my thin ends are growing out.

*Wednesday*
January 26th, 2018, 05:48 PM
I’ve been a picture taker for years now. Clothes and bras constantly look different on me so I just take pictures of my bare back usually and save them on my phone for progress. Or I put them here.

Lol. I do that too. I do a pic every Oct. Yearly. My hair grows slow. I make my 14 year old son my assistant. He's confused over the hair hobby thing with me. ☺