PDA

View Full Version : The devastation of losing a hair toy.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 27th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Im currently going though the travesty of losing another hair toy. The first time, a cleaner took it and threw it out.
Now, I got back from vacation only to realize that my one and only jeter fork is missing. I had it the day before I left but I dont remember what I did with it... I have a feeling its either in my car or in my coat at work in my work locker... if its not.. ive lost my most favorite fork.:(
Im kind of.. totally upset about it.

Does anyone else lose hair toys as much as I do?
It has to be somewhere.. theres no way i just threw it out willy nilly... sigh

embee
December 27th, 2017, 05:13 PM
That's a shame. I have not lost hairtoys, but I have broken a couple and that was just depressing... I did lose an earring - one of a pair my dad gave me for a long ago birthday, and that about broke my heart. I hope you find your fork. A good fork is a treasure.

Why would a cleaner throw away a hairtoy? Just because one doesn't know what something is doesn't mean it's trash, gee whiz.

Stray_mind
December 27th, 2017, 05:14 PM
I lost two of my hair toys, one was a wooden two prong hair fork with abalone shell and the other one was a wooden hair stick. Loved them both. I still wish i had them.

I believe my fork was stolen though. It really is a bad feeling, losing your favorote hair toy.

littlestarface
December 27th, 2017, 05:34 PM
I lose my stuff all the time, I hate my fate. I broke 1 hair stick, lost the other one, I lost 3 spin pins and lost all my amish pins, not to mention my most dearest tiffanys bracelet I lost I will forever morn the loss of that beautiful bracelet :wail:

Arciela
December 27th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Aw this happened to me too, my favorite hair toy was this beautiful flower hair stick by Nightblooming and the flower eventually broke off after a long time (I wore it daily! It lasted quite a long time) and then I found out she is unable to make them anymore. :(

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 27th, 2017, 06:03 PM
See, i could deal with breaking a hair toy, but losing them is much harder to deal with!

Gem
December 27th, 2017, 06:07 PM
I never used to lose any, but I've gone through a spate of misplacing them lately. Worst was my titanium Argus fork, a staple for many years. I broke down and finally replaced it with a Quattro Starlite which actually works better, but still.
I also lost my new satin sleep cap. I suspect my roommate's kitten took off with it.

Krissycats
December 27th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Im currently going though the travesty of losing another hair toy. The first time, a cleaner took it and threw it out.
Now, I got back from vacation only to realize that my one and only jeter fork is missing. I had it the day before I left but I dont remember what I did with it... I have a feeling its either in my car or in my coat at work in my work locker... if its not.. ive lost my most favorite fork.:(
Im kind of.. totally upset about it.

Does anyone else lose hair toys as much as I do?
It has to be somewhere.. theres no way i just threw it out willy nilly... sigh
Maybe it will turn up in one of the places that you mentioned. I thought I lost one recently but it showed up in the back seat under the mats.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 27th, 2017, 06:51 PM
Maybe it will turn up in one of the places that you mentioned. I thought I lost one recently but it showed up in the back seat under the mats.

I really hope so, I wont know until tomorrow morning, its to dark and cold to check my car now. But i really really hope so. I know I had the fork when I left work the thursday before leaving for vacation because afterward I drove to a vintage shop to see if they had jeterforks for sale and I took it out to show the woman but didnt put it back in when i went back to my car, so it has to either be in the house somewhere.. which would be a feat... or it fell somewhere in my car or I put it in the cupholder and forgot which probably is what happened as thats where I usually place forks if theyre taken out.. I hope.
UGH. I just dont remember seeing it in my car when we drove it back from the airport yesterday. I was half awake though so. Crossing my fingers.

Hexen
December 28th, 2017, 12:16 AM
The fact that I typically do not use hair toys would seemingly exempt me from having them, and therefore the displeasure of
losing them. But I have indeed experienced such a loss. And one including variables that made the experience particularly
unpleasant for me. I do know that the emotional dynamics can span a variety of circumstances though. So I really do hope it
turns up for ya Rebeccalaurenxx. As someone that wishes I had one back, I hope that yours finds its way back as well.
Psychometry, even though a fringe term and act, may very well be an example of what can be a bond between objects and people.

The pictures below represent the first, and only, hairstick that I ever made myself, years ago. The first and only thing I've
ever carved at all. The other side looks basically the same. I cut it from a block of wood essentially identical to the one it's
resting upon in the photo. Which as a matter of fact, was a piece of the same wood (I forget exactly) that I intended to make
another one out of, but never did. Aside from using a bandsaw for the basic outline and a drill to start the negative space
between the star and the heart, I carved and shaped the entire thing, using only an xacto knife, some sand paper, and a file
that was made for metal, not even wood. But It sufficed. And little by little I whittled away at it drawing blood on several
occasions. At which point I would let it absorb whatever there was, and then continue on. And even as comparatively rudimentary
as it was, I had envisioned so intensely the making of this thing in my mind before, that as cliche as it may sound I actually
did feel like I was only cutting away the excess material to uncover the item that had always existed within.

Now to cut through a bunch of other stuff, it found itself soon after being completed, in the hands of someone who soon after
that, became a "non-association", (seems like a nice universal term huh lol ). I feel almost as if right after I took the last
photos of it, that I whimsically flung it into a fire or something. Blahhhh. Im never gettin' this one back. (But I still have my pictures) So the loss of this singular hairtoy, inspite of how it actually happened, is one that I have, and will likely mourn for awhile. To mourn, is to have accepted the loss. So I hope, that you dont reach that point Rebeccalaurenxx

https://image.ibb.co/i9uKnG/599756_2468233681941_825117771_n.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)
https://image.ibb.co/mVC5SG/317242_2468236722017_86497432_n.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)
https://image.ibb.co/hcxEnG/155370_2468249042325_742079996_n.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)
https://image.ibb.co/iXYtgb/522312_2468253722442_253841936_n.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

leayellena
December 28th, 2017, 01:24 AM
Few weeks ago I lost a spin pin. I was looking for it all around me... I thought it's ok to get dressed then open the new package of spin pins. Was about to open the new one when something shining caught my eyes. There was my spin pin. Phew!

lapushka
December 28th, 2017, 06:58 AM
I always put them in the same spot. Wear them during the day (don't take them out). I can't say I've ever lost a hairtoy, no. Not since being on this forum, and that's been a few years. ;)

ravenheather
December 28th, 2017, 08:14 AM
I have only ever lost spin pins. And that's because my kids were wearing them.

Suze
December 28th, 2017, 08:36 AM
I hope it turns up! So far I haven't lost a hairtoy yet. Yes, spin pins or hair pins but those don't count.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 28th, 2017, 11:05 AM
I can’t find it :/ it has to be in the house because it wasn’t in my car but I have no clue where it is.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 28th, 2017, 11:35 PM
I 100% believe I stuck it in my pocket and it slipped out somehow and then fell into the street gone forever. Thats the only situation I can think up..
So upset now.

Krissycats
December 29th, 2017, 12:38 AM
I still think it might show up.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 31st, 2017, 09:49 PM
I still think it might show up.

I FOUND IT!!
:eek:

It was in the pocket of a jacket I didn’t remember me wearing any time recently so I have no clue how it even got there but I’m so happy I found it. It was making me upset and sad for days.

Krissycats
December 31st, 2017, 10:43 PM
I FOUND IT!!
:eek:

It was in the pocket of a jacket I didn’t remember me wearing any time recently so I have no clue how it even got there but I’m so happy I found it. It was making me upset and sad for days.
Yay! I was wondering if it had turned up. I'm happy for you!

languagenut
January 7th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Oh, just saw your update! Hooray, so glad you found it!!! :happydance: :joy: :cheer:

I had a self-made fork in my pocket when we went to visit the Air Force Academy several months ago (my hair was down because I had washed it, but I brought the fork along in case I wanted to put it up), and haven't seen it since; I searched in the car and everywhere but never found it, so I'm quite sure it's gone forever. I'm still a bit sad because it was my only 3-prong fork and I haven't gotten around to making another one :-(. But at least it wasn't expensive.

More recently I lost both of my long acrylic sticks and the yellow resin stick Arete gave me for the fall swap. It was very frustrating to not be able to find them when I wanted to wear them (they were lost for several weeks)! Thankfully I found the acrylics between my desk and my brother's shelving unit (a huge monstrosity crammed with vintage computers; I don't have the monopoly on eccentricity in my family! :laugh:), but the stick from the swap was still lost and I was getting really frustrated because I had searched every nook and cranny of the room to no avail! But a few days ago my mom found it, buried in the mess under the computer desk! How it got there I'm not completely sure, but I'm glad to have it back :cloud9:.