PDA

View Full Version : Switching from co washing to shampoo

wo
December 27th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Hey all, I'm looking for product suggestions, and possibly routine suggestions as well.

The first time I ever learned about hair care, was when I read the curly girl book about 10 years ago. My hair was 3b and maybe 90% coarse, and I've followed it ever since. (No cones, no shampoo, washing with conditioner.) Well, my hair is very different now, maybe from having 3 kids, or just aging from teen to adult. It's now 2c/3a and 75% fine/normal, 25% coarse. Lately, not just recently, but the past couple years, I've realized it looks weighed down, stringy, and dull very easily, even with less and less products being used. And it's not because of old ends; it looks like this from the roots down. So I'm thinking it may be time to introduce a shampoo into my routine.

So most of all, I'm looking for product recommendations for shampoos, since I haven't bought one in years, and I never learned anything about shampoo since I simply learned not to use them lol. Should I clarify first, then occasionally use a more gentle shampoo? Also I haven't trimmed in 2.5 years, but I do keep up with s&d. Is there any chance starting to shampoo will be damaging to my ends? Thank you!

LadyCelestina
December 27th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I think you could maybe just try clarifying with any "clear" (as short ingredient list as possible) sulfate shampoo regularly and see what happens if you continue co-washing. Even silicone free products build up over time.

My hair is very easily weighed down by products as well, and I find that I have to scrunch in as much water as possible to dilute any leave-in I apply (including gels). You could probably skip leave-in conditioner alltogether or only apply a tiny bit and focus on gel or film-forming humectants such as aloe or flaxseed.

I also make sure to always rinse out my conditioner very well with warm water.

my2cats1
December 27th, 2017, 11:31 AM
You might just need to clarify with traditional shampoo once in a while -- no need to give up your current routine altogether.

for occasional clarifying and chelating (the later helps if you have hard water), I like Matrix Total Results Pro Solutionist Alternate Action Clarifying Shampoo or Malibu Hard Water Wellness Shampoo. For clarifying without the chelating ingredients, I like Neutrogena Anti‑Residue Shampoo. I clarify about twice a month (since I'm a cone user), and chelate once a month (I have very hard water). Whenever my hair is feeling "eh," I clarify/chelate and then follow with a moisturizing treatment. Works every time.

For more frequent use, I look for low- or no poo (those that don't have SLS). My current faves are DevaCurl low poo and John Masters Organics Bare.

I focus the shampoo on my scalp only, and then rinse well. If you're concerned about your ends you might scalp wash when you use shampoo. I can't wait for my hair to be long enough for scalp washes again! :)

Rowdy
December 27th, 2017, 11:34 AM
I would second adding a shampoo to your normal cowashing first. You could start with a mild shampoo to see what it does before going to a sulfate or clarifying shampoo.

lapushka
December 27th, 2017, 11:39 AM
It's now 2c/3a and 75% fine/normal, 25% coarse. Lately, not just recently, but the past couple years, I've realized it looks weighed down, stringy, and dull very easily, even with less and less products being used. And it's not because of old ends; it looks like this from the roots down. So I'm thinking it may be time to introduce a shampoo into my routine.

So most of all, I'm looking for product recommendations for shampoos, since I haven't bought one in years, and I never learned anything about shampoo since I simply learned not to use them lol. Should I clarify first, then occasionally use a more gentle shampoo? Also I haven't trimmed in 2.5 years, but I do keep up with s&d. Is there any chance starting to shampoo will be damaging to my ends? Thank you!

The L'Oréal Ever-- lines are great no sulfate washes. Also the Shea Moisture line is sulfate free.

I would clarify-wash with a sulfate first, though, and you might want to have that shampoo on hand to occasionally clarify.

wo
December 27th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I just bought a cheap suave shampoo for clarifying, and one of the loreal ever shampoos for occasional use. I won't be washing for a few days, but I'll update after I do.

wo
December 31st, 2017, 11:37 AM
I decided to try the loreal sulfate free shampoo, instead of going straight to a clarifying one. Here is a before and after of how my hair looked last week after washing, and today after washing with this shampoo. It's a big difference to me. I guess it needed it! Thanks for the advice.
https://i.imgur.com/FvUxwHU.jpg

Zesty
December 31st, 2017, 12:10 PM
Glad it is working for you! Your curls are gorgeous. (Hair envy sets in...)

If you ever decide to try out other lines, the Shea Moisture Curl & Shine shampoo (it's the coconut one with the pinkish label) was great for me. It's the only sulfate free shampoo I've ever tried that didn't build up terribly or irritate my scalp. :)

wo
December 31st, 2017, 12:20 PM
Glad it is working for you! Your curls are gorgeous. (Hair envy sets in...)

If you ever decide to try out other lines, the Shea Moisture Curl & Shine shampoo (it's the coconut one with the pinkish label) was great for me. It's the only sulfate free shampoo I've ever tried that didn't build up terribly or irritate my scalp. :)

I love shea moisture products so I'll have to try that some day. Now I'm wondering how often I should shampoo...

lapushka
January 1st, 2018, 04:36 AM
Woah, yes you can *really* see the difference. I'm glad it worked out well. :) And yes, I love those curls. Wish my hair did that! :)

Maybe try every month, a shampoo? Or every couple of weeks. I don't think that would be too much, especially since it is a sulfate-free one.

Corvana
January 1st, 2018, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't shampoo again until my hair started to feel weird. Then I'd know about how long I could go without it, and could plan to shampoo regularly before that happened!