PDA

View Full Version : Split ends emergency!!

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 11:07 AM
I did an extreme S&D session a few days ago. I spent the entire week cutting split ends like crazy. Yesterday I discovered that the ends of my hair are FULL of splits. Like FULL!!!!! I don't understand?? I use hair scissors. I had them for one or two years. I wonder if the fact that i work in drive thru all nights long in the freezing cold air at the window with just some bun in my hair causes that?? I seriously don't get it!!! :(

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Do you keep your hair well moisturised? Are you gentle with combing and brushing, washing etc?

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I keep putting macademia deep repair hair mask in my hair twice a week in the shower. I stretch washes. I comb normally.

akurah
December 25th, 2017, 11:44 AM
You need to stop wearing your hair down in braids, the friction is probably the culprit. If you can tolerate it without headaches you need to wear your hair up and above your shoulders in buns.

victorian girl
December 25th, 2017, 11:46 AM
How do you wear your hair when you sleep? And is your diet ok? Your job seems to be quite hard and stressful, maybe something is going on here? In my case it was all three of these reasons plus rough handling (as Sarahlabyrinth said before) and thyroid issues, that's why I'm asking. Whatever it is, don't get upset and don't cut it off yet, I hope that we'll figure out, how to deal with it:grouphug:

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 11:48 AM
You need to stop wearing your hair down in braids, the friction is probably the culprit. If you can tolerate it without headaches you need to wear your hair up and above your shoulders in buns.

I'm wearing a bun today

Jo Ann
December 25th, 2017, 11:49 AM
I would take a look at the splits, see about how far up the shaft most are, then trim just above where most of them are; put another way, CB, if most of your splits are 1/2" or less up the shaft, give yourself a 1/2" trim, then continue your S&D schedule. That should get your splits under control. Also, if you're allowed to wear a hat at work, like a knit cap, line one with silk or satin and wear it to help protect your hair from the cold.

I'm also with Akurah on bunning your hair, at least for as long as you can stand it. Let it down if you have to on your breaks, but definitely get it bunned! And keep it oiled/conditioned while it's bunned!

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 11:49 AM
How do you wear your hair when you sleep? And is your diet ok? Your job seems to be quite hard and stressful, maybe something is going on here? In my case it was all three of these reasons plus rough handling (as Sarahlabyrinth said before) and thyroid issues, that's why I'm asking. Whatever it is, don't get upset and don't cut it off yet, I hope that we'll figure out, how to deal with it:grouphug:

I wear a braid when I sleep. My diet is okay. I'm not stressed by work.

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 11:51 AM
I would take a look at the splits, see about how far up the shaft most are, then trim just above where most of them are; put another way, CB, if most of your splits are 1/2" or less up the shaft, give yourself a 1/2" trim, then continue your S&D schedule. That should get your splits under control. Also, if you're allowed to wear a hat at work, like a knit cap, line one with silk or satin and wear it to help protect your hair from the cold.

I'm also with Akurah on bunning your hair, at least for as long as you can stand it. Let it down if you have to on your breaks, but definitely get it bunned! And keep it oiled/conditioned while it's bunned!

My splits are all small. Still I don't understand why there's SO much so soon. I'm NEVER gonna make it to classic! :sad

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Do you use elastics? They can cause splits.

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Do you use elastics? They can cause splits.

I use elastics that are good for hair. I'm doing everything for my hair. It makes me more and more mad the more I realize I seem to do everything right and this still happens. What's the freaking point. :steam:

Jo Ann
December 25th, 2017, 12:11 PM
My splits are all small. Still I don't understand why there's SO much so soon. I'm NEVER gonna make it to classic! :sad

Maybe your shears need sharpening? Dull shears can be more trouble than they're worth.

Nique1202
December 25th, 2017, 12:15 PM
The splits may not be from new damage, just from all the accumulated stresses that the hair's gone through since that part of the hair was first growing out from your scalp. Especially if you used to use dye or heat or both, but even if you haven't, the ends of your hair have sustained multiple years of everyday habits. Every time you've worn your hair loose or your braid down to rub on your shirt, bag, car/bus seat, etc. Every time you've torn through a tangle or used a brush or comb that's incompatible with your hair's needs. It's not always obvious, because it can take so long for damage to accumulate.

Also, keep in mind: not all "damage-free" methods are damage-free for everyone. For example, I wore no-metal elastics every day, moving the ponytail or the gibson tuck around a bit or moving the elastic up or down my braids to make sure no individual spot got too much stress, but by the time my hair hit waist length it was just too much, it started splitting uncontrollably. Scrunchies aren't my style, they're too fluffy for me, and the tied-ribbon style never seemed like it would be any less damaging for me because they feel just as rough as the no-metal elastics I had been using, and my hair is slippery as heck. I had to switch to the silicone and latex elastics exclusively for my braid tails and give up ponytails and gibson tucks. Once I trimmed the last few inches and stopped using any kind of fabric or thread elastics, my splits tapered back off to just a few a week, where they've stayed ever since.

It was something as innocuous as the elastics I used for my braids that caused all that fuss for me. And yet, some people can use those elastics fine all the way to knee! But my hair and I are both a little "princess and the pea" oversensitive. Maybe your problem is the same, maybe it's something else (like use of a bristle brush, another very common source of friction damage that ~everyone says~ is fine, or some other thing entirely), you'll have to figure out the source yourself and it's not always easy.

victorian girl
December 25th, 2017, 12:19 PM
I have to agree with Nique1202 - for some people almost any type of elastics causes damage, for me too :(

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 12:27 PM
I have to agree with Nique1202 - for some people almost any type of elastics causes damage, for me too :(

I'm just never gonna grow longer. I'm just done.

Nini
December 25th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Maybe just practice benign neglect for a while. I had my last salon cut at least ten years back, and I’ve gone for fairytale ends since then. I always have a fair amount of split ends. I trim off a few now and then, but I never stress with it. I reached classic without much trouble with braids and buns. It just takes patience :)

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I'm gonna end up being kicked out of here for being so upset and mad all the time. I can already see it happening. It's just I feel completely done it started at the beginning of the month and it just gets worse. & My hair length is like *the* thing that keeps me going and now it's not working. :'(

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2017, 12:30 PM
Yes, there could be many reasons why your hair is splitting, you'll have to do some detective work. Some people just seem to be prone to splits no matter how careful they are with their hair. It could be that that's the kind of hair you have, but don't give up, there are still plenty of things you can try. Even if you can't eliminate all splits, well, it's not the end of the world.

hayheadsbird
December 25th, 2017, 12:36 PM
The splits may not be from new damage, just from all the accumulated stresses that the hair's gone through since that part of the hair was first growing out from your scalp. Especially if you used to use dye or heat or both, but even if you haven't, the ends of your hair have sustained multiple years of everyday habits. Every time you've worn your hair loose or your braid down to rub on your shirt, bag, car/bus seat, etc. Every time you've torn through a tangle or used a brush or comb that's incompatible with your hair's needs. It's not always obvious, because it can take so long for damage to accumulate.

Also, keep in mind: not all "damage-free" methods are damage-free for everyone. For example, I wore no-metal elastics every day, moving the ponytail or the gibson tuck around a bit or moving the elastic up or down my braids to make sure no individual spot got too much stress, but by the time my hair hit waist length it was just too much, it started splitting uncontrollably. Scrunchies aren't my style, they're too fluffy for me, and the tied-ribbon style never seemed like it would be any less damaging for me because they feel just as rough as the no-metal elastics I had been using, and my hair is slippery as heck. I had to switch to the silicone and latex elastics exclusively for my braid tails and give up ponytails and gibson tucks. Once I trimmed the last few inches and stopped using any kind of fabric or thread elastics, my splits tapered back off to just a few a week, where they've stayed ever since.

It was something as innocuous as the elastics I used for my braids that caused all that fuss for me. And yet, some people can use those elastics fine all the way to knee! But my hair and I are both a little "princess and the pea" oversensitive. Maybe your problem is the same, maybe it's something else (like use of a bristle brush, another very common source of friction damage that ~everyone says~ is fine, or some other thing entirely), you'll have to figure out the source yourself and it's not always easy.

Same for me, if I use elastics I find a corresponding increase in splits. I've been wearing my hair loose to sleep as a result the splits are back down.
I'd def look at other ways of holding your hair up and protected if you can. Hair sticks have been the best option for me to date.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Try being patient and gentle with your hair for another couple of years, it's amazing what patience will do. After all, you already have hair longer than many people. Patience! :)

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Yes, there could be many reasons why your hair is splitting, you'll have to do some detective work. Some people just seem to be prone to splits no matter how careful they are with their hair. It could be that that's the kind of hair you have, but don't give up, there are still plenty of things you can try. Even if you can't eliminate all splits, well, it's not the end of the world.

I don't deserve to have this kind of hair. :'( >:(

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2017, 12:44 PM
No, life isn't fair, but you learn to work with what you have. Remember, you have many years ahead of you to grow long hair!

school of fish
December 25th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Nique1202 makes a good point - if you're caring well for your hair, and it sounds like you are, you may be seeing the effects of past damage, not so much current damage.

Would you chracterize your hair as delicate? Mine certainly is, and it's just a reality for me that I have to be more careful with mine than many others seem to have to be with theirs. I have to avoid boar bristle brushes, avoid buildup (which includes washing daily and not using oils and leave-ins), detangle frequently and slowly, trim monthly, not use direct heat, avoid braiding or buns that require sectioning, use harsh shampoos to strip buildup and follow up with thick rich conditioners to replenish the moisture, only detangle after washing within a certain window while it's airdrying, avoid pretty much all hair accessories, keep my length trimmed blunt so strands protect each other, always be mindful of not letting my hair get caught in seatbelt straps, zippers, everything...

These are off the top of my head - I'm sure I do other things as well ;) It took time for all of these things to have a cumulative effect on my hair health - it's been 4 years for me now of really dedicated good care and I'd say it took until this past year to truly see a sizeable decrease in splits and white dots. Ultimately, I'm going to have to grow and trim out my entire head of hair - minimum 5 years of growing altogether - to get to as healthy a state as possible.

Sometimes you do everything right but there's still damage. It takes time for the good habits to take hold - real time. It's just part of the process, and it's frustrating, but it's the way it is.

You're getting some excellent suggestions! Hopefully there's one or some that you can try and see if there's a difference. If you've literally tried it all, it may just be a matter of time and patience... :)

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I'm far away from home and I can't even take care of my splits for days :(

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2017, 01:03 PM
I'm far away from home and I can't even take care of my splits for days :(

Well, don't worry :) Try not to stress over it. Stress doesn't help your hair.

Nique1202
December 25th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Split ends won't kill you or your chances for long hair, in the long run. Yes, they're a little weaker than hair that isn't split, but plenty of people have lots of splits and don't address them for weeks at a time and are still fine.

I hope you don't find this patronizing, because my best recommendation is to stop and take a few deep, calming breaths, and then ignore your hair as much as you can until you get home. All is not lost, it's just got to be put off for a little. It's a stressful time of year all around, and doubly so when it feels like everything goes wrong at once and you're away from all that's familiar and comfortable and routine. Maybe put your hair up and out of sight for a bit, take a break as much as you can from worrying about it, distract yourself with all the more positive things you can think of for a few days. Come back to this thread after the holidays, after you get back home, when you have an hour or two and can sit down and take inventory of your whole hair routine and everything your hair has been through with you over the growing period.

If your hair is 35 inches, consider how much it grows every year, it's probably been with you for 4, 5, maybe 6 years now. It's an old friend, and sometimes old friendships show wear at the edges when you think you understand each other but you really don't. That's OK. It just means there's work to be done to patch it up and fix what's coming down the line. Same thing with your hair. You just have to find a way to deal with the immediate situation and figure out where you might be able to tweak your routine to protect what's left. It will be much easier to do that when the holiday stress is over. :blossom:

spidermom
December 25th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I am pretty sure I've mentioned this to you before, but just in case - my hair was the same. I didn't try everything that was suggested, like water only or no water/sebum only, because I wanted to feel good about how my hair looked, not ashamed of the oil slick on my head. I did try a lot of interventions, though, and it was no use - split ends everywhere; other types of damage, too. People would post that they dyed or bleached their hair but couldn't find a single split, and I didn't do anything like that and could find lots of split ends every time I cared to look under good light. For that and many other reasons, I ended up cutting my hair to the length of my sig pic, and I'm happier with it now than I was the last 2-3 years of trying to keep long hair. I can still put it up if I want to, but I can wear it down whenever I want as well. Best of all, it's too short to search the ends. If any are split, I'm blissfully unaware.

Jo Ann
December 25th, 2017, 02:55 PM
I don't deserve to have this kind of hair. :'( >:(

I don't deserve having my ends disappear to nothing between WL and BCL, but that's the way it is, CB. That is NOT going to stop me from growing my hair as long as I want it! I might not be happy with the fact that I won't have a full, thick hemline, but I WILL be embracing my hair for what it is and be thankful it is as long as it is and treasure my fairy-tale ends.

If that's the trade-off for me, then so be it. Who knows? By the time my hair reaches terminal, maybe I'll figure out something I can do to get thicker ends and watch each month as they thicken up and be joyful; if not, I'll still embrace my fairy-tales ends and know I had done my best to give my hair what it needed.

You need to find out what will make YOU happy--if it's longer, healthier hair, be thankful for what you have and the knowledge and gains you have made that got your hair where it is NOW. Is there room for improvement? Sometimes yes, sometimes no--all you can do is your best and be satisfied that it IS your best.

Alex Lou
December 25th, 2017, 03:22 PM
My hair is full of splits. And I mean full. But it's still beautiful. People in my life tell me so. We notice our own spits more than anyone else ever will.

Corvana
December 25th, 2017, 07:09 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I've literally never noticed whether another person had split ends unless I was actively on the hunt for them at the request of the hair-grower. Even while brushing and braiding other people's hair, I've never noticed.

pailin
December 25th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I'd really be suspicious of the scissors, tbh.

hayheadsbird
December 25th, 2017, 07:49 PM

Wise words, I agree.

CreatureBailey
December 25th, 2017, 08:34 PM

But why? These are scissors made for hair cutting. Why would something be wrong with them? I only use them for that. I've had them for a couple years, but still. I live in a small town and the only hair scissors I could possibly find are at the pharmacy. What if these ones are bad for my hair too and I just can't find any good ones?

MotherofJames
December 25th, 2017, 10:56 PM
I learned from another LHCer two years ago, to trap mosture into your ends (to avoid split ends) :

After shampoo/conditioning hair in shower, ring out the excess water just a tad and then apply oil (she used baby oil) to the ends of the hair. Don’t rinse it out .Once your out of the shower, when the hair starts to dry, it will trap the moisture into the hair ends, therefore ending the split or at least help prevent them. Or, get out of the shower with wet hair, and do the same thing as above, but it’s better in the shower when the hair cuticle is open a little bit from the locked in steam.

I’m not sure if that helps or not, but I do hope everything works out good for you.. And I would get new scissors from an online shop soon :-) just in case that may be the culprit :scissors:

CreatureBailey
December 26th, 2017, 12:08 AM
I learned from another LHCer two years ago, to trap mosture into your ends (to avoid split ends) :

After shampoo/conditioning hair in shower, ring out the excess water just a tad and then apply oil (she used baby oil) to the ends of the hair. Don’t rinse it out .Once your out of the shower, when the hair starts to dry, it will trap the moisture into the hair ends, therefore ending the split or at least help prevent them. Or, get out of the shower with wet hair, and do the same thing as above, but it’s better in the shower when the hair cuticle is open a little bit from the locked in steam.

I’m not sure if that helps or not, but I do hope everything works out good for you.. And I would get new scissors from an online shop soon :-) just in case that may be the culprit :scissors:

I am planning to get new scissors haha. I might try your advice. :)

akurah
December 26th, 2017, 06:01 AM
But why? These are scissors made for hair cutting. Why would something be wrong with them? I only use them for that. I've had them for a couple years, but still. I live in a small town and the only hair scissors I could possibly find are at the pharmacy. What if these ones are bad for my hair too and I just can't find any good ones?

Scissors get dull with every single cut you make, even if each cut is only on hair.

*Wednesday*
December 26th, 2017, 07:49 AM
CB, have you tried nightly oiling with a “light” oil to the ends? It helps keep the moisture in the hair and assists in preventing splits. As Nique said, that hair which are your longest, have endured a lot over the years. For yearssssssss, I used the curling iron. Since doing the no cut challenge Jan. 2017, I have not touched the curling iron or the blow dryer. This is a trigger for my hair to split. Even though my hair is now hip length, those ends are carrying previous damage from my curling iron days and every so often a piece of hair will break from those areas. So I am very careful. It’s that hair exposed to heat years ago.

As Sarahlabyrinth said, your hair is longer than most people. You are hitting Classic which is long. I think it’s a perfect length. I know it is hard, but try not to think about it, your hair. Please don’t get frustrated at it and cut it. Just let your hair do its thing and you continue to nurture it. The only time to think about your hair is when you are handling it (styling for the day, washing, etc.).

The consistent thinking is a habit. You have break it. It takes effort. 😊

edira
December 26th, 2017, 07:59 AM

If they're two years old then they most definitely require sharpening or replacing. :)

CreatureBailey
December 26th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Will argan oil do a good job for oiling and protecting my ends? Also I will buy new scissors in two days.

hayheadsbird
December 26th, 2017, 11:01 AM
You can always start oiling with what ever oli you have I the kitchen. Sunflower, olive, coconut can all be used for hair as well.

Beeboo123
December 26th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Catnip sprays stop my hair from getting split ends. I went from 10 splits every week to zero

Jo Ann
December 26th, 2017, 11:52 AM
Will argan oil do a good job for oiling and protecting my ends? Also I will buy new scissors in two days.
Why not just take your current pair and get them sharpened? Considering the price of hair shears, sharpening is definitely cheaper, and you'll get more return on your investment.

CreatureBailey
December 26th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Why not just take your current pair and get them sharpened? Considering the price of hair shears, sharpening is definitely cheaper, and you'll get more return on your investment.

Where do you get that sharpened?

Jo Ann
December 26th, 2017, 04:47 PM
You can ask at a salon/barbershop where they get theirs sharpened, CB (those shears are their livelihood!)--also, check the yellow pages in your phone book/online.

lapushka
December 26th, 2017, 05:09 PM
If they're two years old then they most definitely require sharpening or replacing. :)

Mine are 10+ years old, but they're pro shears, and they've not needed sharpening at all during that time. They are hardly used, maybe 3 times a year (for my mom).

It largely depends on the kinds of shears you have too, how long they will last.

I wouldn't give up CB; splits aren't the end of the world.

Maybe try another deep conditioner, and a good leave-in + serum after washing (anything to keep moisture in does your hair good).

CreatureBailey
December 26th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Mine are 10+ years old, but they're pro shears, and they've not needed sharpening at all during that time. They are hardly used, maybe 3 times a year (for my mom).

It largely depends on the kinds of shears you have too, how long they will last.

I wouldn't give up CB; splits aren't the end of the world.

Maybe try another deep conditioner, and a good leave-in + serum after washing (anything to keep moisture in does your hair good).

People say we need to keep moisture/water in hair... I thought water caused hydral fatigue? Sorry I'm still new to this :P

CreatureBailey
December 26th, 2017, 09:56 PM
You can ask at a salon/barbershop where they get theirs sharpened, CB (those shears are their livelihood!)--also, check the yellow pages in your phone book/online.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that! :P

akurah
December 26th, 2017, 10:04 PM
People say we need to keep moisture/water in hair... I thought water caused hydral fatigue? Sorry I'm still new to this :P

Hygral fatigue is more a concern for daily washers and people with porous hair. While I could be mistaken, I would be incredibly surprised if this was a concern for you, it’s mainly a problem for the curlies.

CreatureBailey
December 26th, 2017, 11:37 PM
Hygral fatigue is more a concern for daily washers and people with porous hair. While I could be mistaken, I would be incredibly surprised if this was a concern for you, it’s mainly a problem for the curlies.

I got my hair examined from a hair scientist on Etsy and my hair is very porous (she looked in the microscope)

lapushka
December 27th, 2017, 02:59 AM

Moisturizing isn't the same as "drenching" in water. :)

sarahthegemini
December 27th, 2017, 06:14 AM
There is no such thing as "elastics that are good for hair" Dump the elastics and get new scissors/sharpen your current ones. It's really not the end of the world.

school of fish
December 27th, 2017, 07:19 AM
As to the elastics - I made my own out of old tights, and they're awesome! I used the kind of tights that are opaque and have a decent lycra content, not the wooly knit type. I just sliced them into rings about an inch wide, and when you stretch them they curl up on themselves and settle into a hair elastic thickness. They're of course a bigger ring than convention hair elastics - I just wrap them around more times than I would a conventional elastic.

Even though these are about as gentle as any elastic I've ever used, I still use these sparingly. Just the manipulation of getting my hair into a pony causes some mechanical damage to me which leads to splits, so this is once-in-a-while stuff for me, not daily-use stuff :)

CreatureBailey
December 27th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I never tie my elastics tightly ...

school of fish
December 27th, 2017, 01:57 PM
I never tie my elastics tightly ...

Neither do I ;) I have to keep any hair manipulation to a minimum - even the gentlest of elastics are a hazard for me. I just listed what I use as an option :)

Groovy Granny
December 27th, 2017, 02:15 PM
I use all the 'no damage ties' ~ elastics...ribbons...scrunchies...invisibobble look-a-likes etc with no problems at all, and I have have fine wispy hair.

The key is to rotate tie placement and to tie it no tighter than needed.

I suspect it is your scissors ..... IMHO :o

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 27th, 2017, 03:14 PM
I have a few suspicions as to what’s giving you splits:
1. You need new scissors and you need GOOD ones. Which may mean you buying some online. Which is what I will eventually do myself, I haven’t yet because I can’t seem to decide what shears to buy. But.
I’ve bought inexpensive shears, and usually after about the 6-7th micro trim I can tell they need to be replaced. I can’t imagine keeping shears like that for longer than 6months-1 year. Let alone 2 years. So get some new ones and try to get a nice pair.
2. Sleeping in braids can also be an issue. For me, sleeping in braids gives major breakage, it’s just as bad as sleeping with hair down or wearing hair down during the day. I would stop doing that if I was you. The second I stopped braiding before bed, the second I saw less splits.
3. Your hair looks like it’s fine but has wave to it, yes? I think adding a little more moisture might help too.
4. Patience. I don’t want to, belittle you or make you feel like I’m speaking down to you, but growing hair is a process. It takes years and years to grow long hair and sometimes even after years and years you still see damage and for the most part, will feel like you didn’t get anywhere. I believe that nobody is perfect, which also applies to hair. It’s impossible to have nearly perfect hair, zero splits and zero signs of damage. That’s how it is. Being patient and learning to settle your feelings and really, focus on yourself, is a part of this journey. There’s no point in being so hard on yourself, it will get you nowhere. I have been here since 2011 and you have longer hair than I. So relax.

Nique1202
December 27th, 2017, 05:07 PM
I use all the 'no damage ties' ~ elastics...ribbons...scrunchies...invisibobble look-a-likes etc with no problems at all, and I have have fine wispy hair.

The key is to rotate tie placement and to tie it no tighter than needed.

I suspect it is your scissors ..... IMHO :o

I have fine-to-normal hair, and any kind of fabric elastic causes damage over time for me. The elastics, no matter what kind they are, could absolutely be having a damaging effect depending on Bailey's individual needs and type. Even identical hair types by LHC measures can still have entirely different requirements and reactions. I'm not saying that you're wrong, you may well not get any damage from hair ties, but that is not a universal truth. Elastics can and do cause damage for many of us, and should be considered a first-line option for "damaging things to give up in the attempt to avoid more splits down the road" if someone is a daily user of elastics and has a chronic split end/damage problem.

Scissors don't blunt THAT easily, especially when only used on hair for a bit of S&D and a few rare trims. Even $10 Conair shears should still be fine after only a couple of years unless there was a manufacturing defect in the first place. Scissors can cause split ends if they're mishandled, but from what I've seen in this thread, I don't think that's the case here. It could be, it won't hurt to upgrade or sharpen the scissors professionally regardless, but it seems much less likely than the elastics being the culprit, from my point of view.

CreatureBailey
December 27th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Do you guys think being frequently at the drive thru window in the freezing cold air all night (sometimes with a heating fan on top could be a culprit? Also I bought hair shears online yesterday. They were 16$ but they got a 50% discount so they were more expensive. I will also get some at the pharmacy.

Groovy Granny
December 28th, 2017, 02:33 AM
Nique1202 ~ I said IMHO...We all have an opinion and I shared mine...including the safeguards to be aware of re: use/type of hair ties.
It was not stated as a 'universal truth' ....you just disagree with me.

As with anything re:hair care YMMV; there are plenty of threads where some people condemn a practice/product and others swear it does no harm.
In this thread alone people have expressed differing opinions...some even agreeing with mine re: the possibility of dull scissors, yet they were not quoted.

She will find out what works for her (or does not) as she considers various causes and solutions, like we all have on our individual hair journeys.
You can be sure that there will always be someone to disagree with her opinions/routines....as with any of us.

I stick by my opinion as that has been MY experience; it is a given that it may/may not be the right option for her or others...just as yours may not.

She can take or leave what ANY of us share, as she experiences different products/routines and learns what her hair needs and how it responds.

lapushka
December 28th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Do you guys think being frequently at the drive thru window in the freezing cold air all night (sometimes with a heating fan on top could be a culprit? Also I bought hair shears online yesterday. They were 16$ but they got a 50% discount so they were more expensive. I will also get some at the pharmacy.

Nope. Temperature doesn't do it. IMMHO.

I hope you fair well with your new shears.

school of fish
December 28th, 2017, 08:42 AM

And I'm going to respectfully disagree here, lol! Temperature/humidity can be a possible contributor, I believe.

CreatureBailey, if my memory from some long-ago thread isn't failing me, you're in Canada, right? We can get some crushingly dry conditons in wintertime and between the brittle dry air of the freezing outside and the brittle dry air of central heating/industrial heating, there's no escaping the elements. I definitely am more prone to splits and breakage in winter, and have found that adding rinse-out oil to my routine as soon as the heat is on 24/7 makes a difference.

We're currently in a deep freeze across central Canada, with temperatures of 30°C and lower, depending upon region. It's not an unreasonable thought to me that the dryness that comes with that kind of cold could possibly contribute.

CreatureBailey
December 28th, 2017, 05:26 PM
And I'm going to respectfully disagree here, lol! Temperature/humidity can be a possible contributor, I believe.

CreatureBailey, if my memory from some long-ago thread isn't failing me, you're in Canada, right? We can get some crushingly dry conditons in wintertime and between the brittle dry air of the freezing outside and the brittle dry air of central heating/industrial heating, there's no escaping the elements. I definitely am more prone to splits and breakage in winter, and have found that adding rinse-out oil to my routine as soon as the heat is on 24/7 makes a difference.

We're currently in a deep freeze across central Canada, with temperatures of 30°C and lower, depending upon region. It's not an unreasonable thought to me that the dryness that comes with that kind of cold could possibly contribute.

Yeah but I *have* to be at the window in the freezing cold air with the heater in the drive thru. I can't just not do my job or quit.

school of fish
December 28th, 2017, 05:37 PM
I totally understand that! Not suggesting quitting is an option ;) I just wanted to affirm, since you asked if it could be a contributing factor, that I have personally found it to be :)

I guess maybe you could try a more physical kind of protection for your hair? Even a wide soft hairband/wrap kind of thing might help take the edge off, perhaps? Or stepped-up moisture/oil treatments to counteract the effects?

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 28th, 2017, 08:58 PM

That is absolutely not true.
Temperature can totally damage hair, for reasons another user already mentioned above.
I have first hand experience in this.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 28th, 2017, 09:00 PM
Yeah but I *have* to be at the window in the freezing cold air with the heater in the drive thru. I can't just not do my job or quit.

Could you wear a hat? Im assuming you work in food, usually they have a baseball cap thats required/allowed.
You could satin or silk line it and it would protect your hair. Just as I wear a silk lined beanie outside in the cold and then keep it on at work.

CreatureBailey
December 29th, 2017, 03:58 AM
Could you wear a hat? Im assuming you work in food, usually they have a baseball cap thats required/allowed.
You could satin or silk line it and it would protect your hair. Just as I wear a silk lined beanie outside in the cold and then keep it on at work.

Females hat are opened. :P But, I oiled my ends before going to work and kept them oiled. :D