PDA

View Full Version : Fine Hair - Constant Split Ends

MezyMinzy
December 23rd, 2017, 09:39 PM
Hey everyone!

I've been growing my hair out for about 6 years, by now it is down to my waist. My issue now though seems to be damage and split ends. For example, I cut off an inch and a half to two inches less than three weeks ago to get rid of split ends. My hair felt great for about two-three days and now it is once again filled with dead ends. I don't know what to do with it at this point, I just want soft and shiny hair, not damaged ends that feel like straw.

My hair: very thin strands but I have a ton of hair so it looks thicker than it is.

Routine: Shampoo with Vatika Black seed shampoo just on my roots (not partial to that shampoo, it just doesnt leave my hair greasy), then apply a Vatika hot hair mask as a conditioner. This is not supposed to be used as a conditioner but the product has done wonders for my hair - usually in winter my hair just feels brittle and straw-like, and completely disgusting. Now just the ends feel that way. After putting the conditioner in, I put my hair up in a bun with some clips and leave it in while I do the rest of my shower routine. Then wash out. I only wash my hair twice a week, usually on Wednesday and Sunday. I oil my hair for at least an hour every time I wash it, and sometimes even do a leave-in treatment after washing. And yet by the third day my hair feels gross and dry again.

Car: No heat products, I only blow dry my hair for special occasions maybe once every few months. Other than that the only heat my hair sees is in the shower (not crazy hot though) I don't use a brush, just get knots out with my fingers. Keep my hair up for the most part; braids and bun.

I've tried so many different products - from Lush stuff (henna bars and leave in moisturizers), to natural shampoos and conditioners (which leave my hair oily and somehow still dry and damanged), to extremely expensive brands like Morrocan Oil shampoos and conditioners. I just want to grow my hair out longer but keep having to cut it off due to the damage. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Jo Ann
December 23rd, 2017, 10:03 PM
Hi and welcome aboard!

Instead of going for large trims, have you tried microtrimming, MezyMinzy? You just trim a small amount, maybe 1/4" or less per month, to keep split ends under control. You might also try S&D, sitting down a couple of times a month and trimming ONLY the split ends by trimming just above the split ends, using hair shears (you can get them pretty cheap at Wal-mart or Sally's Beauty Supply).

The small trim (dusting, if you will) should help you keep the split ends under control and help you gain length. On average, hair grows about 1/2" every month--your monthly length gain will be slower, but you'll be keeping split ends pretty much under control.

Microtrimming and Maintaining Thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468

Beeboo123
December 24th, 2017, 01:33 AM
If i stretch washes, my hair ends don’t feel good after a few says. I spritz a little water on, that takes care of it. I rarely get splits though

Corvana
December 24th, 2017, 03:31 AM
Hello and welcome!

Have you clarified your hair recently? I don't know if that would solve your problem at all, but it's always a nice place to start! It'll give you a nice clean slate, then you can deep condition and see where that takes you.

And don't be too shy to add a couple drops of oil to your ends if you feel like they need it. I know I do it all the time! Well, not all the time all the time, but after maybe 3 or so days my ends need a little pick me up! So I'll add a little water and a little oil and they're great again.

Silverbleed
December 24th, 2017, 03:43 AM
How do you bun your hair and how do you tie your braid? I too have fine hair and get damage very quickly with the wrong products. Hair ties totally ruin my hair, so I use different solutions (that reminds me, I wanted to make a thread about this.) If you do not use hair forks or u pins yet but a hair tie, I’d reccommend to look into those.

leayellena
December 24th, 2017, 04:25 AM
Oil it more often. I apply some leave-in before finger detangiling. Combing comes last. I experienced a lot of breakage if I braid my hair when it's raining outside (humidity), so I am big on cinnamon bun. I can't stand steamy showers since 3 years and I am happy with it; this helps reduce split ends. Oh and in summer I wash my hair with lukewarm water like 90% of the time. No, I don't heat style my hair at all. Not even for a special occasion! Stop trying expensive products. They're overpriced and pretty packaged to dazzle people with wannabe science and in the end it's an expensive foam in the drain.
Stop cutting/trimming off inches of hair! Hair doesn't grow so fast especially when it's fine. Microtrims and s&d rule for us fine haired especially when we want long(er than bra strap length) hair. ;)
PS: have you been to a hairdresser? They make hair look like whatever you don't want, but not as hair! They comb wet hair from the top to the ends, feather your hair all over the place and then you can't see your fine strands in time to s&d them. Your hair becomes thin at the end, unprotected ends that split like crazy, without professional styling your ends look like straw, and beware: uneven fine ends tend to kink and "curl" up and... Yeah I still suffer from my last haircut... Oh and of course layers break/split more than the longer hair. Don't ask me why...
Ah! Wait a minute! Had to check out your profile to find out that you colored your hair. Now that we know it... I keep telling everyone I meet when talking about hairdressing: there's not enough conditioner in the world to hydrate your "naturally" color treated hair! Stop feeling frustrated, there are people who grew up bleach(!) but have long hair.
Good luck in your hair growth journey!

lapushka
December 24th, 2017, 04:31 AM
First of all, welcome to the forum! :D

Dead ends are not ends that feel like straw. You have to make a big distinction between hair that is truly damaged (splits and white dots) or dry feeling ends. Dry feeling ends can be remedied rather quickly by clarify-washing, good conditioning practices, moisturizing well after washing (leave-ins, LOC/LCO method (see signature)).

Lush stuff is harsh! Lots of sulfates, even in their conditioners, while you don't even find that in regular drugstore products. So do be a little careful with that, if you don't love the product for the smell.

Happy growing!

Alissalocks
December 24th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Worth mentioning, in case you hadn't heard, but avoid leaning against or putting pressure on your hair. Mine is very thin and broke constantly before I oiled regularly and learned not to lean on it.

Hope you see the lengths you desire and without splits :blossom: