PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions For 2018--What One Thing Will You Do For Your Hair Next Year?

Jo Ann
December 23rd, 2017, 09:21 PM
With the new year coming up fast, is there one thing you plan on adding to or changing about your hair care routine next year? Maybe it's microtrimming to get a thicker hemline, fingercombing more often, using non-SLS/SLES shampoo or going from WCC to CWC.

I'm going to work on my patience when I'm brushing my hair (I'm getting into the habit now of using a wide-tooth comb first), because I'd like to reach somewhere between TBL and CL next year. I think that will also help with my perceived thin ends and help my thickness travel down.

mayfaring
December 23rd, 2017, 10:40 PM
I also want to be more patient with brushing and combing, wear my hair in protective styles more often, and try out protein treatments and oiling.

my2cats1
December 24th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Great question! I plan to experiment with catnip rinses and wear my hair up at least 4 days a week.

longmane
December 24th, 2017, 12:26 AM
I want to start using silicone-free products only. I'm gonna have to stop using my favourite shampoo and conditioner because they have silicones :(

Wavybrunetteuk
December 24th, 2017, 12:55 AM
Oooh a lot!

1) reach BSL and maintain my length at BSL until all my layers and old damaged hair has grown out.
2) experiment with more leave-in conditioners, oils, creams and maybe hair masks
3) continue the curly girl method

victorian girl
December 24th, 2017, 01:11 AM
One thing? Wearing it up - at least when I am at home or wearing a coat. It's turns out to be much more convenient than wearing it down all the time.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 24th, 2017, 02:02 AM
Micro trimming for next year :)

Suortuva
December 24th, 2017, 02:50 AM
I'm gonna wear my hair up. A lot.

MidnightMoon
December 24th, 2017, 02:54 AM
Allow myself to do more with it: use heat every now and then, try new hairstyles, basically, to be less obsessed about caring for it and focus on making it look good.

Stray_mind
December 24th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Keep it away from any kind of dye.

Beeboo123
December 24th, 2017, 03:49 AM
Learn to cut my own hair! Will get myself some Crea Clips when i find a store that will ship them. It’s not easy, living on an island

leayellena
December 24th, 2017, 04:07 AM
finger combing especially when it's humid and/or it's raining outside.

queenbee1
December 24th, 2017, 04:21 AM
Not protein overload it like I have been doing this year :p
Basically I plan to use more moisturizing conditioners asd less protein ones

Hexen
December 24th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Hmm, I must mention two things rather than one. Aside from being born a rebel, to neglect mention of one or the other would leave me feeling guilty. So perhaps I will put more effort into maintaining the structural integrity of my ends and more attention towards moisturizing the general dryness that can contribute to it. Even those microtrims ...or S and D's (and im still not sure if its 'seek' or 'search', I forget what ive seen here, but nevertheless always elicits thoughts of Iggy and The Stooges and the song going by the same name using the word 'search') But it would seem that a diminished or minimal effort there would be a significantly contributing factor in my hair damage.

I do sleep with my hair loose also, which I know can be damaging as well. But I did see some mention of using a silk pillowcase to minimize such damage. And that sounds good and something id like to try. But if its really slippery feeling then strangely enough i can potentially see that as being a sort tactile distraction for me. Maybe its one of those things you get used to though. So dryness/breakage to the ends and a further effort to minimize damage from sleeping with it loose are the things I think I should address.

Dendra
December 24th, 2017, 05:36 AM
I will learn more new hairstyles, especially ones for when I'm on a night out!

Guitargod
December 24th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Wear my hair up in a bun more when I go out - I'm already wearing it up at home.
I already managed to mostly ditch the ponytail that I used to wear every day, but loose hair tangles too much and it's not really practical going for classic.

DweamGoiL
December 24th, 2017, 07:46 AM
Be more diligent about using my BBB

Reservechic
December 24th, 2017, 07:50 AM
Stop from feeling the need to try new products that I see in the drugstores or elsewhere and just stick with the same products that I already own and that I know work best for my hair. So, I plan to stick with using up my present stash, and only re-buying the products that my hair already loves. As, I will completely RESIST when it comes to buying anymore impulse purchases for my hair ever again! I plan to totally stick with my set regimen, and not be swayed to change (no matter how tempted I may get).

I also plan on not using any direct heat on my hair at all. And, I also plan to continue protective styling my hair, wearing my hair in a low bun (which it is currently in now), and continue to keep binning all throughout 2018, without fail. Plus, I do plan to step out of my comfort zone and take the time to really start experimenting with different bun styles too, instead of just sticking with the same old, same old, which can get a bit boring after a while.

humble_knight
December 24th, 2017, 08:00 AM
To not cut it at all for a year. In May, I cut into a bob so all my hair was one length. Now, I want to see if I can have one-length mid-back hair by the end of 2018, or 2019.

pandabarrier
December 24th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Benign neglect, I think my hair responds well to that.

Agnes Hannah
December 24th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Grow it!
Seriously though, try using something else rather than a claw all of the time. I've recently picked up my ficcare......
I might trim it if it needs it.
Hopefully reach top of thigh, health issues permitting!!

Kake
December 24th, 2017, 08:54 AM
I resolve to practice Zen-like patience. I think more realistic expectations would serve me better.

Ligeia Noire
December 24th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Trim it only once.

This is year I trimmed it twice. Even though the second one was only one centimetre. To see if I reach 60 inches by Christmas 2018!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 24th, 2017, 09:25 AM
Trim it only once.

This is year I trimmed it twice. Even though the second one was only one centimetre. To see if I reach 60 inches by Christmas 2018!

I bet you will! I think I would like to reach 60 inches too :)

lapushka
December 24th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Just stick to my routine (which is in my signature, and almost everyone here knows about already LOL). I think that is the most important. Stick to my weekly washes faithfully and just grow more length, hopefully! If it's given to me. :)

fhairyqueen
December 24th, 2017, 09:59 AM
To reach and pass arm pit length . To trim more damage out .
Continue to not use heat .
Learn more for caring for my hair as I need to do more
Eat better for my hair

Jo Ann
December 24th, 2017, 10:15 AM
All great ideas!

Catnip rinses sound intriguing! I'm currently cat-sitting four of the wee beasties, so I might check that out after they go back home :)

I'm also interested in trying new buns *goes to "Bookmarks" and starts looking at Youtube*

marvel-lover
December 24th, 2017, 10:23 AM
I think mine will go along with my non-hair new year's resolution: drink more water.

fhairyqueen
December 24th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Actually this one I’ll be doing too this one I think is important I must drink more water!!

I think mine will go along with my non-hair new year's resolution: drink more water.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 24th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Drink enough water, eat better, take my vitamins every day.
Treat my body better, maybe start going to the gym again regularly like I was before I moved and got my new job.
I take enough care and buy enough and worry about my hair enough. Seriously. I think about my hair every day. It’s enough.
I think it’s about time I cared more about myself instead of the dead proteins hanging out my scalp
But that’s just me.

Lizabeth94
December 24th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Im going to do no trims all of 2018! Hopefully i will make it to apl at least. Also hoping to use up my product stash, so that i can switch to more natural and sulfate free products. Im hoping this will help my scalp and dandruff (yuck).

Beeboo123
December 24th, 2017, 01:49 PM
I’m going to experiment with making my own oil blends. Any tips you would like to share?

Aredhel
December 24th, 2017, 02:09 PM
Benign neglect, I think my hair responds well to that.
Same here! :) When it comes to my hair, less is more....

Ligeia Noire
December 24th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Sarah I think so, my hair grew 5 inches this year with trims. I bet you can too. I am not very concerned though, let them hairs be :)

Hiyotoris
December 24th, 2017, 03:26 PM
I feel like I have more long term goals rather than just a yearly one. Darn me for setting the bar high for my short-ass self!
For me, I want to actually get a proper hair stick, something pretty and that catches peoples eyes when I wear it.
I am not going to colour/bleach it AT ALL, all year, I have a seriously bad habbit of changing my hair colour so often.
I am going to try to not cut it for atleast six months, I am aiming for the year, but I feel like 6 months is a good place to start!
I want to try out a protien treatment because I'd not done that yet and continue with my once a week scalp massage, though I do want to try out the inversion method!
I want to aim to wash my hair only once a week (i'm almost there at twice a week)

Onto more food/health things: I want to stress less, eat more good oils, take my hair vits and continue with my cod liver oil tabs too.

Long term wise, my goals are to have knee length virgin hair, using 100% natural hair care.
I'm not too fussy about shine as I don't have naturally shiny hair anyway!

littlestarface
December 24th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Get a better brush then the TT I want something that wont damage my hair.

Lady Stardust
December 24th, 2017, 04:31 PM
I'm going to try regular henna glosses rather than sporadic full henna applications, and see how I get on.

The gloss is quicker and easier, and although I might miss the conditioning benefits of full strength applications, I think the method of applying glosses will be kinder to my hair.

LaLola73
December 24th, 2017, 05:39 PM
I want to be more patient when I brush out my hair. Sometimes I detangle the knots too quickly. No more ripping noises in 2018!

Dark40
December 24th, 2017, 09:30 PM
I plan on deep conditioning my hair more often by doing it twice a week instead of just once a week, and I'm also planning reaching hip length by the end of 2018.

Groovy Granny
December 24th, 2017, 10:38 PM
I would like to practice a few new braids and buns seeing I am back at hip (for the 3rd time) :cheer:

Xan
December 25th, 2017, 12:29 AM
A small trim on Jan 1 2018 and then see how long I get for the year I have a good date to keep track 12/25/17 herehttps://ibb.co/b2mWVR

Xan
December 25th, 2017, 12:30 AM
A small trim on Jan 1 2018 and then see how long I get for the year I have a good date to keep track 12/25/17 herehttps://ibb.co/b2mWVR
https://ibb.co/b2mWVR

school of fish
December 25th, 2017, 05:12 AM
I don't really have one - unless staying the course of my current routine and layer grow-out counts :)

After 4 years of active attention paid to my hair - learning what it needs, what methods I need to use to keep damage minimal, which products (or lack of products) my hair responds to, what trim and wash schedules it likes - I feel like there isn't much more I can add unless my hair's needs change substantially in 2018. So continued patience is about the only goal I can think to set for myself, and I'm already doing that ;)

Suze
December 25th, 2017, 05:17 AM
One thing? Uhmmm.....try to love it more and accept it for what it is!

Futurapunzel
December 25th, 2017, 04:46 PM
I will make more effort to use hairsticks instead of grabbing my go-to mini claw clips every single day

Stub
December 25th, 2017, 08:35 PM
eat better to improve my overall health, which will obviously impact my hair.

Futurapunzel
December 26th, 2017, 03:21 AM
eat better to improve my overall health, which will obviously impact my hair.

Oh I forgot this one too. I'll also be eating healthily and exercising to benefit all aspects of my health, including my hair.

my2cats1
December 26th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Stop from feeling the need to try new products that I see in the drugstores or elsewhere and just stick with the same products that I already own and that I know work best for my hair. So, I plan to stick with using up my present stash, and only re-buying the products that my hair already loves. As, I will completely RESIST when it comes to buying anymore impulse purchases for my hair ever again! I plan to totally stick with my set regimen, and not be swayed to change (no matter how tempted I may get).

Oooh, this is a good one. I need to work on this, too. :)

akurah
December 26th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Mine is to dye the underside of my hair purple with Elumen I think, but I'm probably going to wait 6 months or so before I commit just in case I change my mind, so if I do it, it'll be a birthday present to myself. Elumen isn't damaging (used it before) but it also doesn't budge on my hair.

Ideally hire someone to do it, additionally if whomever i speak to about doing it even suggests cutting my hair? I'm going to say, "Thank you for your time but I will not be needing your services" and walk out. (I will be fair and preemptively warn them I'm not cutting my hair)

fhairyqueen
December 26th, 2017, 06:30 AM
I really respect this and I believe in doing so naturally your hair will also be in great condition. You look as though you already do have incredible hair too. In all the things you have said about caring for yourself I really do honestly believe great hair will come with it. I also think the way someone like myself feels so strongly about my hair and focuses on it and stresses about it so much might actually be damaging to it for example slowing the growth from stress maybe as at one point it was depressing me every day and I would obsess constantly . I think your approach would be good for me personally if I did the same

Thank you for sharing as it made me rethink my priorities tbh my health is most important right now and the hair will follow I’m sure (I can’t promise to completely stop obsessing but I can try focusing more on other goals too)

Drink enough water, eat better, take my vitamins every day.
Treat my body better, maybe start going to the gym again regularly like I was before I moved and got my new job.
I take enough care and buy enough and worry about my hair enough. Seriously. I think about my hair every day. It’s enough.
I think it’s about time I cared more about myself instead of the dead proteins hanging out my scalp
But that’s just me.

queenbee1
December 26th, 2017, 06:43 AM
Henna more often and use herbs and rinses more often

Natashap
December 26th, 2017, 06:50 AM
Here are some resolutions -
Be Gentle to my scalp and hair -using gentle products and combing /brushing.
Trying a mist for knotty hair -no rip them...ouch.
Benign neglect most days (if can)
Using deep conditioner more often .
Finish up my stash and not buy more.
Buy a silk pillow to keep tangles at bay.
Get trims twice a year for this year.

Gillian1978
December 26th, 2017, 10:26 AM
All I want is to be extra patient and grow my hair long again ! And feel more like myself. Can’t wait !

ravenheather
December 26th, 2017, 06:36 PM
My resolutions are no trimming. Hair up outside the house. Mostly braided at night/home.

Wildcat Diva
December 26th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Cool water instead of super warm. What can I say, I love a very warm shower but it’s really not great for the hair is it?

JadedByEntropy
December 26th, 2017, 06:50 PM
get some better scissors, and don't use them on paper. hair only!

wear more buns, Chinese bun if nothing else. but i'll try to keep it up 5 days a week

Gem
December 26th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Microtrim no more than 1/2" per month - I am aiming for 1/4" per month, so I can gain some length as well as thicken up my ends and take care of some damage.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 26th, 2017, 07:43 PM
I really respect this and I believe in doing so naturally your hair will also be in great condition. You look as though you already do have incredible hair too. In all the things you have said about caring for yourself I really do honestly believe great hair will come with it. I also think the way someone like myself feels so strongly about my hair and focuses on it and stresses about it so much might actually be damaging to it for example slowing the growth from stress maybe as at one point it was depressing me every day and I would obsess constantly . I think your approach would be good for me personally if I did the same

Thank you for sharing as it made me rethink my priorities tbh my health is most important right now and the hair will follow I’m sure (I can’t promise to completely stop obsessing but I can try focusing more on other goals too)

I’m glad my comment helped at least somewhat.
Oh thank you. I appreciate the compliment but my hair isn’t perfect.
It never will be. I think when we accept that, the growing gets easier.

Jo Ann
December 26th, 2017, 08:10 PM
I never thought of drinking water as a way to encourage hair growth https://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I'll definitely need the reminder after Youngest Dear Son graduates in May--waiting to pick him up from school is where I do most of my water drinking!

Arctic
December 27th, 2017, 12:26 AM
I have one big hair vice, and I'd like to get rid of it. I touch my hair too much, and I run my fingers through my length all the time. I want to get rid of these habits both for "image" reasons (I don't want to be know that person who is always touching and twirling her hair) and for hair health reasons (I believe the hair touching is my largest hair damager).

It's going to be very difficult though, because these are life long habits, reinforced by my trich tendencies.

hypersensitive
December 27th, 2017, 12:34 AM
Finish my stash, try to make shampoo bars work, put time aside to style my hair regularly, and appreciate what I have

lottiealice
December 27th, 2017, 04:58 AM
I'd like to find at least one new hairstyle that suits me, that I can tolerate and can do. I usually stick to wearing it loose, in twin braids or just under a silk cap (when I'm at home) and cannot stand buns or ponytails on myself (I get headaches and also have a blunt fringe which makes things a little more difficult). I'd also like to reach waist by this time next year if possible.

EliseMarie
December 27th, 2017, 05:33 AM
No trims, no dye, no bleach, no heat.

Stray_mind
December 27th, 2017, 05:41 AM
No trims, no dye, no bleach, no heat.

great resolutions :) :cheer:

NightSister
December 27th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Sticks only, nettle rinses, and treating my hair as gently as possible. Hopefully make it to waist by Dec 2018! :meditate:

Dark40
December 28th, 2017, 07:50 PM
I forgot to add that I'm also going to be doing more hot oil treatments in 2018 as well. I'm going to start doing them once a week, and continue to do my deep conditioning treatments once or twice a week as well to keep my hair moisturized, and to tame away the frizzies.