PDA

View Full Version : Itchy, Flaky Scalp Questions

lostchyld
December 21st, 2017, 04:23 PM
I'm another sufferer of the dreaded itchy, flaky scalp. I have to wash twice a week or my scalp becomes unbearable. It's most flaky right before and right after a wash.

I've tried multiple shampoos individually for 3-6 months at a time with no success at reducing the itch.

I don't feel like my roots become greasy by the time my scalp needs a wash, so I would love to be able to stretch washes a little longer or at least switch to primarily water only. This has been an all my life issue and I'd love to get it under control as I grow my hair out again.

My scalp gets worse if I use Head and Shoulders or other dandruff shampoos. I have other allergies, so it's entirely possible that I'm allergic to a common ingredient in shampoos and conditioners. I know I'm sensitive to shea butter with an eczema type reaction. I'm not sure what other oils I might react to. I also have a (so far) mild latex allergy.

ETA I have seen a GP about it and they prescribed a stronger dandruff shampoo that made it all worse too. I haven't asked again.

lapushka
December 21st, 2017, 04:32 PM
Have you tried going to see a dermatologist? I know Nizoral 2% is prescription only in the US, so you will need a doctor if you want to try that shampoo - I'm not sure if you haven't tried it before?

Oils on the scalp if you have SD are a no-no, which I'm guessing it is, but you *do* need a doctor for this, this is too serious to leave like this because it can lead to hair falling out more.

I would go back to the GP and tell them what didn't work, so they can keep working with you on a solution. Not going back and not giving appropriate feedback is not the way to go. :flower:

lostchyld
December 21st, 2017, 04:40 PM
Have you tried going to see a dermatologist?

Maybe 2018 is the year to do that. I know the longer I leave my scalp, the worse the flakes get. If I get any conditioner at all on my scalp, the flakes are worse and the itching starts again sooner. The problem is that I love the way my hair feels when it's a little oily. Without this problem, I would totally switch to WO or NW easily.

akurah
December 21st, 2017, 07:21 PM
When you tried head and shoulders, was it the fragrance free hypoallergenic version?

Also, have you tried Free and Clear shampoo?

If it’s an allergy, those two are probably the best bet, as they don’t have fragrances or most common irritants.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2017, 05:11 AM
Maybe 2018 is the year to do that. I know the longer I leave my scalp, the worse the flakes get. If I get any conditioner at all on my scalp, the flakes are worse and the itching starts again sooner. The problem is that I love the way my hair feels when it's a little oily. Without this problem, I would totally switch to WO or NW easily.

With SD you can't use conditioner on the scalp or oils, no way, don't go there. Even your "own" oils you can't leave on the scalp for long. You need to keep your scalp squeaky clean! Trust me on this. If you just do that, that can already improve it *so* much!

But I know that when I have a bout of it, I do need my medicated shampoo! Maybe try the OTC Nizoral 1%, you can get that just about anywhere, I think in the US. And it's not like it gets better with just one wash. You need to first make sure you follow directions (suds up, leave on for 5 to 10 min., suds up more/wash, then rinse clear) and use it multiple times a week. This will not just go with one wash and then just letting the oil get to your scalp again.

Another sign it is leaning in that direction (SD), but the ultimate diagnosis is for a doctor. I can only "help" because I'm experiencing the same kinds of issues.

DweamGoiL
December 22nd, 2017, 08:59 AM
It sounds more like dryness to me rather than SD, but since you have other skin allergies, then you should definitely see a doctor before trying anything else.

Natashap
December 22nd, 2017, 12:30 PM
I'm another sufferer of the dreaded itchy, flaky scalp. I have to wash twice a week or my scalp becomes unbearable. It's most flaky right before and right after a wash.

I've tried multiple shampoos individually for 3-6 months at a time with no success at reducing the itch.

I don't feel like my roots become greasy by the time my scalp needs a wash, so I would love to be able to stretch washes a little longer or at least switch to primarily water only. This has been an all my life issue and I'd love to get it under control as I grow my hair out again.

My scalp gets worse if I use Head and Shoulders or other dandruff shampoos. I have other allergies, so it's entirely possible that I'm allergic to a common ingredient in shampoos and conditioners. I know I'm sensitive to shea butter with an eczema type reaction. I'm not sure what other oils I might react to. I also have a (so far) mild latex allergy.

ETA I have seen a GP about it and they prescribed a stronger dandruff shampoo that made it all worse too. I haven't asked again.

PPL allergic to latex ,shea butter and hay fever and ragweed allergies will be common and are triggers for skin reactions.I am same case too.

Oats shampoo might help with itching .Dermarest shampoo or denorex might work .They both are good.

Everybody is different ,so do consult a doctor as antifungal shampoos are pres.strength too.

Sebamed is another brand but expensive for sensitive skin.

For me coconut oil and olive oil(refined) worked wonders in controlling itch.I know its a no-no for SD but I use on my scalp or I get sores.I have sensitive,extreme oily,eczema ,Seb.dermatitis skin.

keep us posted.

Reservechic
December 23rd, 2017, 02:52 PM
You may definitely be allergic to certain ingredients that cause irrational to your scalp, also you may possibly have either scalp eczema or seborrheic dermatitis too. I am highly allergic to quite a number of stuff, including different ingredients that come in hair care products, plus, I suffer with scalp eczema, and seborrheic dermatitis on my face. I do currently see a dermatologist, and I do UVA light therapy for my skin and scalp. Also, I am able to get approval from my insurance for laser scalp eczema therapy treatments for my scalp as well. However, in order to get approval, ones scalp condition has to be deemed very serious, or else they will automatically consider such to be cosmetic in nature, and deny the individual.

My dermatologist has prescribed me prescribed me different medicated shampoos, medicated scalp sprays, medicated creams , steroid pills, and I have also been given shots on certain occasions in regards to my scalp. I have also used OTC medicated shampoos as well, and even tea tree oil, which was recommended to me by my derm's office as a remedy as well. First off, none off the OTC medicated shampoos never made a big difference with my scalp issues, and neither does tea tree oil either. Plus, medicated shampoos in general are very drying to both my hair and scalp and the same can definitely be said for just about most of the stuff that my derm has prescribed for me to use towards helping with my scalp eczema, since 2015, when I officially was diagnosed with such.

So, from my own experience, I decided to start using products that are either all natural or just about on my hair and scalp. As, I have never found a medicated shampoo that has truly effective for my scalp eczema, including OTC Nizoral and it's prescription strength version either. Using oils on my scalp doesn't work to better control my scalp eczema either. I may such to pre-poo with from time to time, but all they do is act to lubricate my hair and scalp, and they don't provide any long-term effects in regards to helping to tame the itchiness that I experience for no more than a day (or if I'm lucky two).

What I now use to wash my hair with are either an actual co-wash cleanser or conditioning shampoo bar. I don't use bottled shampoos anymore to wash my hair and scalp with at all. I also avoid any products that have ingredients in them that I already know that I'm allergic to, plus, I don't use any hair care products that contain any of the following: chemical dyes, sulfates mineral oil, drying alcohols, chemical fragrances (which most I find to be huge irritants to my scalp), and different types of waxes (including beeswax). I practice minimalism with my hair care routine, and by doing such, I don't experience a lot of buildup on my scalp and hair, plus my scalp episodes aren't as severe from day-to-day, like they used to be. Which is why, I would highly recommend taking upon a more holistic, natural based hair care regimen, but also going to see a dermatologist so that he or she can give you an accurate diagnosis in regards to the scalp issues that you are experiencing. Because, the best person to help you understand what's going on with you scalp, would definitely be a trained medical professional, that has a lot of years of expertise in diagnosing and treating scalp disorders. Which is why, your definitely going to see a dermatologist as soon as possible, in my opinion, would surely be the best route to take.

lostchyld
February 26th, 2018, 06:33 PM
@lapushka I tried the Nizoral 1% and it's changed everything about my scalp and hair. I still get frizzy, but not like I was before, and the crud on my scalp and in and around my ears is almost gone in two weeks. Thank you for pushing this so hard on multiple threads.

lapushka
March 2nd, 2018, 04:46 PM
@lapushka I tried the Nizoral 1% and it's changed everything about my scalp and hair. I still get frizzy, but not like I was before, and the crud on my scalp and in and around my ears is almost gone in two weeks. Thank you for pushing this so hard on multiple threads.

Awesome; I'd read it in another thread, where you thanked whoever it was for recommending it to you - I forgot I actually did that. LOL!

I know how irritating it can be (maybe me pushing it, but the flakes even more perhaps).

And a clear scalp, gosh, I'm not totally clear most times either, some little flakies remain here and there, but it's never enough to bust out my Nizoral over it.

I now am washing with an Aloe Vera shampoo and haven't had the residual flakes happen this week (it contains water, AV, *then* the harsh detergents). I never thought that could happen either. I'm liking this.