PDA

View Full Version : Night time routines?

Hiyotoris
December 20th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Hey everyone! Right now in the land of tea and constant rain, I'm getting ready for bed and I was wondering what everyones night time routine is when it comes to their hair? Do you have any secrets that help your hair grow and look amazing in the morning?! Mine has been the same for months but I find i'm not getting nearly as much breakage as I used to, and I'm at my all time longest hair length (yay!!)
When it comes down to sleeping, i'm a very wiggly sleeper so I was super prone to breakage and waking up like Anna from frozen! So what I do is I plait my hair either in a single dutch braid or two pigtail braids. I put them ontop of my head and wrap my head in a satin scarf! It stays on all night, surprisingly, and my hair is frizz-free and wavy-er in the morning! Though the night before wash day, I'll lightly oil my scalp with avocado oil and run any left overs through my ends and plait/head scarf over night! Most nights I also try to do a scalp massage, but if I want an extra 3 mins of sleep, I'll skip that, hahah!

Mega Moose
December 20th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Hey, my routine sounds very similar to yours! Except the night before wash once a week I'll do a full blown oil treatment, if it's a weekend (takes a lot of time in the morning to wash that stuff out). The braid to sleep in is also my favorite, buns aren't quite as comfy for me. I just recently bought a sleep cap, so I'll be keeping an eye out to see if it's helping a lot with breakage. :)

Zesty
December 20th, 2017, 06:25 PM
I stuff my hair into a silk sleep bonnet and go to bed! :lol:

Seriously though, I've been doing a cursory detangling and then twisting it up into an unsecured LWB that I put into my bonnet and let unravel inside it when I lay down. That's it.

Krissycats
December 20th, 2017, 06:32 PM
I’ve been doing a top knot with a terry scrunchie, but last night I tried two braids and I really liked it. I have a silk sleep cap, but it’s always off in the morning.

Zalicat
December 20th, 2017, 09:07 PM
I comb my hair put rosemary oil on my scalp and oil my ends. Put into a bun or braid (waiting for my hair bonnet thing to arrive in the mail). On friday or saturday nights i do a heavier oiling and wash it (i only wash once a week) :)

melikai
December 20th, 2017, 09:11 PM
I've been putting mine in a pineapple bun, wrapping the extra length around the base, and then clipping down the "pineapple" part with mini claw clips - otherwise it flops around too much! XD Nobody likes a floppy pineapple.
I have tried a braid instead, but my hair always seems to look drier and frizzier (especially on the ends) in the morning. Currently, I'm looking for alternatives so I'm not always doing the same thing every night.
I also sleep on a silk satin pillowcase.

Oh! And because I do WO, I preen and put a bit of olive or coconut oil on the ends, every couple of nights, before putting it up.

Arciela
December 20th, 2017, 11:58 PM

Seriously though, I've been doing a cursory detangling and then twisting it up into an unsecured LWB that I put into my bonnet and let unravel inside it when I lay down. That's it.

I do this as well :D It's like a deep treatment for my hair! When I wake up my hair is extremely soft and shiny :flower:

Frankenstein
December 21st, 2017, 12:31 AM
I just take the hair toy out of whatever bun I’ve been wearing that day and put on my satin bonnet. If I haven’t been wearing it in a bun, I put it in one, usually LWB or cinnabun.

Hexen
December 21st, 2017, 01:40 AM
Please dont cringe everyone...but i have no routine other than slapping me noggin down onto yonder pillow and entering into the land of NOD.

I do though pull my hair out from under me and toss it off to the side or upwards so as to not grind it into the pillow and damage it. I even wake up, for a few seconds, a few times, every night to do just that.

Obviously I sleep with my hair loose. Any other way and I would get no sleep. I just cant deal with ponytails or weird bulges (buns) near the back of my neck and stuff.

Katrina
December 21st, 2017, 01:43 AM
I just take a hairstick or claw clips out of my bun and throw my hair over the pillow. That's it :D

Monsterkitti
December 21st, 2017, 04:17 AM
Afraid I don't really do much, up in a high loose bun with claw clips if its not already like that and then zzz :)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 21st, 2017, 04:22 AM
I just take the hair toy out of whatever bun I’ve been wearing that day and put on my satin bonnet. If I haven’t been wearing it in a bun, I put it in one, usually LWB or cinnabun.

I do exactly this :)

fhairyqueen
December 21st, 2017, 06:32 AM
I have never done anything for my hair at night .... am I doing damage to my hair just leaving it be ? Should I be putting it into a braid ? Sorry if I’m being dumb

Sarahlabyrinth
December 21st, 2017, 06:40 AM
I have never done anything for my hair at night .... am I doing damage to my hair just leaving it be ? Should I be putting it into a braid ? Sorry if I’m being dumb

It all depends on how long your hair is, how long you want to grow it, what level of damage and tangling you are prepared to put up with etc. Wearing a sleep cap or having a silk or satin pillowcase does drastically reduce tangling, and wearing your hair somehow contained or up while in bed does as well. It can cause damage wearing it loose in bed, yes, by tangling, rubbing on pillows, getting caught under you/others.

Pumpkin3826
December 21st, 2017, 07:14 AM
I try to sleep with my hair in two braids but I end up taking them out in my sleep.. Lol. So my main routine is just brushing my hair before bed, putting on a little oil either Vatika or Coconut oil on the ends then I wear it down to bed. I just drape it over the top of my head above my pillow. I am a back sleeper and I hardly move in my sleep so my hair pretty much just stays put.

Futurapunzel
December 21st, 2017, 07:18 AM
I lightly oil the ends and wear it either in a single English braid or secure a loose cinnabun on top of my head with mini claw clips. The bun stays out the way better but I try to alternate between the 2 options.

sarahthegemini
December 21st, 2017, 07:38 AM
Rest head on pillow. Done. Or take it out of a ponytail if I'm wearing one, first.

Groovy Granny
December 21st, 2017, 10:57 AM
I do a low/loose ponytail with a no damage ribbon tie, then flip it over the satin pillowcase.
Top knots are a no-no for my sensitive scalp.
Occasionally in Summer heat I will do a low english braid to contain it a bit more.
In Winter time I use my BBB before the ponytail to cut static as needed.

NightSister
December 21st, 2017, 11:37 AM
Detangle and braid, add some leave-in to the ends if they are thirsty, and pop on my silk bonnet!

Wavybrunetteuk
December 21st, 2017, 11:48 AM

The silk bonnet sounds like a good idea, I might try that

AmaryllisRed
December 21st, 2017, 12:12 PM
Either a high bun or a low braid. I don't move much in my sleep but I've recently gotten to a length where if I wear it loose, it gets trapped under me somehow and then I wake up in a panic!
I can see the usefulness of some kind of cap at longer lengths but ohhh the mocking I would get from my husband. :D

AliceRuth
December 21st, 2017, 12:40 PM
I plait it (usually into just one down my back, but sometimes into two) and then pop my braid(s) over the top of my pillow so they're less likely to get trapped as I flail about, or get squished under my husband!

hayheadsbird
December 21st, 2017, 02:45 PM
It used to be detangle and plait. Now it's just pull out the hair stick and sleep. Quick finger comb in the morning and it's good enough to go back up in a bun again.
This is quicker and there isn't any more damage that I can see. If anything it feels less tangled than sleeping in a braid or bun did before

Agnes Hannah
December 21st, 2017, 02:49 PM
I plait it, leave it unsecured but put it into a silk sleep cap. That's it. When combing I use a handmade comb that is gentle on my hair, one with wide tines to detangle.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 21st, 2017, 02:54 PM
I throw it up with a jeter fork and then sleep on a silk pillow case. For awhile I was braiding it before bed and I like that better, less knots and bumps and I keep my wave pattern but I get more breakage from braiding.
I’m a tosser, I’ve been thinking about getting a silk or satin bandana and then braiding it and wrapping it up so it’s out of the way because I’m sure the braids get caught under me while I slee thus breakage. But I’m really afraid of looking.. frumpy lol

Zesty
December 21st, 2017, 05:01 PM
The silk bonnet sounds like a good idea, I might try that

Highly recommend, that + a silk pillowcase I think is the best way to handle hair at night. Even if it does look a bit silly. :p

Asrai
December 21st, 2017, 07:25 PM
Since I'm currently a super shortie, all I really do is a quick scalp massage with a couple of drops of NightBlooming's Hinoki Hair Growth. (I'm actually fairly certain this combo doesn't affect my growth at all since in the past it's always very stubbornly been 0.5" a month no matter what I do. But the combo of the smell of the oil & the scalp massage is very relaxing right before bed.)

When my hair was long enough, I'd toss a few of drops of oil on the ends, & throw it up in a loose bun with a large scrunchie. Even with how little it generally tangles, it was always a huge mess if I didn't bun it up.

Chiquita Banana
December 22nd, 2017, 08:14 AM

You aren't being dumb. I do not wear my hair in a braid or bun when I sleep, unlike many on this board. I actually found that doing so caused more damage than just leaving it down and tossed over my pillow. I recommend that you experiment and see what works best for you.

My routine consists of taking my hair out of whatever bun or braid I wore than day, tossing my hair over the top of my pillow and going to bed. I'm starting to oil my scalp once per week before I wash the next morning as well. That's it!

DweamGoiL
December 22nd, 2017, 09:18 AM
Over the years, I have tried several things; I first tried a satin/silk pillow case. I hated the way my head would slip to the side and I woke up with a creak in my neck. I've tried sleeping bonnets and they made my head hot. I used to bun it atop my head and secure it with claw clamps, but as the hair grew, that became too heavy. I then tried braiding it and then the braid would get folded and stuck under my neck and cause a stiff neck for me, not every time, but often enough that it became an issue. Now, I just toss it over my pillow and enjoy my sleep. I find it funny that I tried so many different things only to come back to the simplest of solutions ;)

Chromis
December 22nd, 2017, 09:50 AM
I move too much to toss it over my pillow :laugh:

I use a silky pillowcase and braid my hair every night to keep it tangle free and not strangling me in my sleep. I think the night braid is one of the most important of the things I have changed since I found the LHC actually, right up there with learning updos!

lapushka
December 22nd, 2017, 10:35 AM
Hmm; I might have to reconsider wearing it down for bed after I hit classic. Might need to use a claw for going to the bathroom in the middle of the night (might need to wear that to bed too, I hardly move). Stuff to think about... I might even start braiding it loosely, just the last couple inches or so; will have to think about it some more (I have some time).

Joyful Mystery
December 22nd, 2017, 10:54 AM
I usually sleep with my hair loose inside my satin sleep cap or I'll loosely braid it when I don't feel like wearing my cap.

Trip
December 22nd, 2017, 11:40 AM
I put a very light amount of coconut oil on the ends the go to sleep on a silk pillow case but after today will have a silk cap!! My hairs not long enough to do much else right niw

Winter Fox
December 22nd, 2017, 03:58 PM
I usually first detangle my hair, braid it, oil the braid and protect it with a silk cap.

school of fish
December 22nd, 2017, 05:16 PM
I don't do that much - just throw it up in a topknot and secure it with a short stick. My hair is so slippery the stick slides out every single night :p but it stays contained enough to keep tangles minimal. It's barely a routine, but it's helped the condition of my hair enormously since I no longer have to battle a snarl of night tangles every morning :)

Cg
December 22nd, 2017, 06:52 PM
I make a simple topknot, put a satin sleep cap on, then use a scrunchie to hold the topknot in place (outside the cap, yes). Won't win any fashion contests, but it works.

pandabarrier
December 22nd, 2017, 06:59 PM
Here is my routine, it sounds complicated but it’s simple for me and takes less time than typing this post.
Finger detangle hair, make a loose braid, wrap the end of braid with a satin scarf, then a scrunchie, place the braid away from DH’s side, inside a tissue box so that it doesn’t fall behind the bed neither between furniture. Since I don’t wear the silk cap anymore because my head feels too hot for that, I use it to line the tissue box.
I toss and turn a lot during my sleep, but when I wake up in the morning my braid is still inside the tissue box, and the hair is tangle-free.

Add: DH threw my tissue box away because he thought it was empty. I’ll have to find another container to hold my braid during my sleep.

Hiyotoris
December 23rd, 2017, 05:24 PM
Woah! Thanks for all the replies folk! I'm currently sat here, with avocado oil in my hair and with my silk scarf ready for bed! Hopefully I'll have silky hair when I wash this out in 20hours :D

Mega Moose
December 27th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Woah! Thanks for all the replies folk! I'm currently sat here, with avocado oil in my hair and with my silk scarf ready for bed! Hopefully I'll have silky hair when I wash this out in 20hours :D

Aaaaaw yeah, I love the feeling of being fresh out of the shower after an oil treatment! It really does make it so much softer. :) A little slippery if you want to put it in an updo that day though.

reilly0167
December 27th, 2017, 06:37 PM
I sort of "pineapple" my hair at night. Meaning i do not use a hair tie, because if i do it makes a dent and stretches my curls, which i hate!!!! So i came across a you tube video from naptural85, she just flips her hair over, let it lie where it may and wrap a satin scarf. No tie, no stretching curls. Works perfectly for me.

reilly0167
December 27th, 2017, 06:38 PM
https://youtu.be/UTYFj-bAs5U

Heres the tutorial if anyone is interested.

andryssa
January 1st, 2018, 12:05 PM
I always sleep with a high bun, since I don't think braids are good for me. I also consider buying a satin scarf to protect hair more.

Fia
January 4th, 2018, 12:59 AM
Keeping it simple like most everything else I do to my hair.

Remove updo of the day. Comb out any tangles. Braid. Tuck inside sleeping cap when going to bed.

Hairkay
January 4th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I put on a satin bonnet and go to bed. My hair is usually in plaits/braids anyway. I like to be able to get up in the morning with having to do very little to my hair before I go out for the day. The bonnet ensures that.

Krissycats
February 1st, 2018, 12:31 AM
I've been switching between two braids, one braid, and putting it in a topknot with a terry scrunchie.

ectothermicfaun
February 1st, 2018, 01:40 AM
Nobody likes a floppy pineapple.

:'D I about died when I read that^

...carry on.

Beckstar
February 14th, 2018, 09:45 PM
I just found my black satin bonnet. I haven't worn it in 5 years? That's when I had hip length hair. The elastic has dried out and broke up. I should start using one again since I can get the back of my hair into a ponytail.