PDA

View Full Version : I'm 53 and my hair is thinning very quickly

GermanBlush
October 29th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Anyone have any advice? I used to have very thick hair. It's blonde, fine, and the length is below my hips. I was brushing it last night and noticed my scalp! shudder: I can see my scalp if I part it on the side (which I never do). I normally wear it brushed back or parted in the middle and wear it up. I have noticed in the past year a LOT of hair in my vacuum. Can someone help me?

P.S. I mentioned it to my husband and he just stared at my like I was an alien. (He's almost bald.) :)

Curlsgirl
October 29th, 2008, 07:11 AM
My recommendation is to go to a dermatologist and rule anything physical out first. Are you eating well? Not on a strict diet are you? Sometimes that can make you shed a lot for a while. If it were me though and I noticed bald places I would definitely go NOW to see if there was something I could do about it.

PS I have a LOT of hair in my vacuum too so that isn't necessarily an indicator. What would concern me a bit is the bald spot.

ChloeDharma
October 29th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I agree with Curlsgirl about getting a check up, definately some blood tests to check for nutritional deficiencies and hormones......i'm thinking the latter might be a problem.
What is your diet like now? Do you take supplements? Also make sure there are no underlying illnesses that have not been detected like diabetes or thyroid problems.
If i were you i'd definately get the medical side checked out then go from there in terms of an action plan.

BlndeInDisguise
October 29th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Is there a history of female pattern baldness in your family?

wintersun99
October 29th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Do you color your hair with conventional chemical color? If so, probably time to stop.

susiemw
October 29th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I would recommend going to your doctor and having this evaluated. There are many things that can cause hair loss.

Thyroid problems are very common in women over 50 and can cause hair loss. It's a simple blood test to check for this.

Susan

Caldonia Sun
October 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Are you in menopause? Most women experience a little thinning at that time due to the hormonal changes. Best to get checked so you know for sure. Here's some things you might want to consider:

*Get enough water, vitamins and minerals. Some folks here like the Skin, Hair & Nails vitamins.

*Baby your hair. Consider going chemical-free: no color, SLS, silicones and parabens.

There's lots of good info here on the forums. Good luck.

GermanBlush
October 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Thank you all for the great replies!

It is hard for me to sometimes express myself on a message board. I don't have a bald spot, just thinning to the point that I can see my scalp more than I have before.

I am healthy, eating right and my thyroid is fine. I AM though in menopause. I was wondering if anyone tried that J-A-S-O-N
Thin to Thick Shampoo and Conditioner. They sell it at Vermont Country Store. It is very expensive ($12.95) for each.

I've always had fine hair, but it was thick until I hit the big 5 - 0!

Elenna
October 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Ok, a new member (Redheadedgrammy) posted how she was able to help her daugher and friend with shedding. It is on:

Re: New Here, help my hair is falling out!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=308002#post308002

I went out and brought the recommened vitamins, but not the same brand. And yes, the shedding has slowed down.

Some other things: trying to be extremely gentle with hair. Massaging when I think about it. And trying pumpkin seeds. :pumpkin:

Speckla
October 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hair can thin during menopause due to falling estrogen levels. Mine did. I started taking B6&12, and Biotin. My hair is growing back thicker and faster.
________
Bluetec (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/BlueTec)

GermanBlush
October 29th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks a lot! I'll try these vitamins. It's kind of frustrating because I've never colored my hair, let it air dry and don't use any heat products on it. I treat it very gentle and it's everywhere!! I find it on the couch, in the car, on my dried laundry :rolleyes:, everywhere! AND my family hates it! Thanks for all your answers everyone! You are a great help! :pumpkin:

Darkhorse1
October 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
If you are under a lot of stress, you can shed volumes of hair as well. And it may just be your hair's natural time to shed---make sure you see your doctor before trying any vitamin therapy as you might have some else causing this/may be a sign of another problem.

Good luck!! :) And hugs!!

GermanBlush
January 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi all,
I've made it back and thanks for all of your suggestions.

Stress, yes. I have a 19, 20 and 21 year old. Thanks. I can blame it all on them. :D