PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair for the holidays?

Pumpkin3826
December 20th, 2017, 09:33 AM
I have been participating in the wear hair up everyday challenge and I was debating wearing it down for the holiday family functions. I was wondering how everyone else wears their hair on the holidays.

Most of my family lives far away and so the holidays are a fun time to see how everyone has changed and grown up. Since being on my hair growing journey I have gone through different phases of wanting to keep my hair in a bun as my little secret, then sometimes I want to "show off" all my hard work and wear it down. I love when you see people you have not seen for months or even a year and they say "oh my gosh your hair is so long!" The main reason I am doing the wear hair up challenge is because I felt I was getting to obsessed and vain about my hair. I am sure we all go through these phase maybe I will outgrow it? I was spending too much time on my hair and worry about it getting damaged all the time. So I thought this challenge would be good , out of sight out of mind right?

Well nonetheless I was wondering if anyone else has the mentality of wanting to "show off" all your hard work of your long hair on the holidays, Or do you just wear it how you would on any other day?

Shorty89
December 20th, 2017, 09:35 AM
I'm thinking of doing a half-up for Church but I don't trust myself to not get my hair in my food for Christmas eve/day dinner. XD Plus, I have a few awesome Christmas hairtoys that I need to show off.

MoonRabbit
December 20th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I'm planning on wearing it down but definitely keeping a stick on hand to put it up when I'm in the kitchen and around the family kids.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 20th, 2017, 09:46 AM
I may wear it down but will be bunning it for cooking :D

wanderer743
December 20th, 2017, 11:29 AM
Plus, I have a few awesome Christmas hairtoys that I need to show off.

What kind of hair toys?

Shorty89
December 20th, 2017, 11:44 AM
What kind of hair toys?

I have a winter wonderland (I think it was called) flexi, four winter pins from Flexi, two u-pins with poinsettia and an emerald green flexi. I also have a Santa hat clip in, haha.

wanderer743
December 20th, 2017, 11:52 AM
I have a winter wonderland (I think it was called) flexi, four winter pins from Flexi, two u-pins with poinsettia and an emerald green flexi. I also have a Santa hat clip in, haha.

Oh that sounds cute!! I wish I had thought to ask for Christmas Hairtoys...hmm next year.

Deborah
December 20th, 2017, 12:23 PM
I wear mine up, same as I do every day.:o

AmaryllisRed
December 20th, 2017, 12:32 PM
I've been thinking about this. I'll definitely be seeing some family I don't often see. It might be nice to have a pencil bun in and just need to re-do it when there's a lull in conversation. Although I am already known as the cousin with the super-fast-growing hair.
Maybe something with braids would be pretty and festive. But it wouldn't necessarily show off the length.

Shorty89
December 20th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Oh that sounds cute!! I wish I had thought to ask for Christmas Hairtoys...hmm next year.

They're pretty fun. Walmart or Claire's might hVe somwthign.

Nique1202
December 20th, 2017, 02:30 PM
I tend to do some of the less elaborate but still classy styles from Game of Thrones. There are so many to choose from that I haven't yet had to repeat them since I started a couple of years ago, even with multiple family gatherings a year. This also helps with the "wanting to show the length" urge, since most of them are half-ups.

This year, though, I saw a bun maker on Amazon that was just a bun tool with ribbon tied on the ends, so that when you curl the bun tool in, you can tie the ribbon together, and I thought, what a cute bun-wreath that would make! So I'm going to do that, I think, if my hair will cooperate with those fairly small bun twisters. I might get some beads to glue to cheap u-pins and stick in there, too.

Hiyotoris
December 20th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I'm hopefully going to have my hair up in a plaited bun this year. Something like beautyklove's recent hair tutorial/video. Though I tend to get really bad scalp ache from french plaits! Though if all else fails I've always got my lazy wrap bun. LWB has always got my back, haha

Reyn127
December 20th, 2017, 03:56 PM
In the past I never really thought about it, but I am definitely wearing it up this year. My hair just gets soooo tangled when I move around, I can't imagine the clumpy, matted mess it would be after hours of going between sitting/standing, hugging, pictures, helping with food, etc. I havent decided between an elaborate style though, or something simple that I can show off the length easily with if I want, like a braid or a simple hairstick bun.

CindyOfTheOaks
December 20th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Too many people and too much food out all day - My hair will be bunned as I sure don't want tangles or to lose a shed and have it wind up in someone's food.

bparnell75
December 20th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Bunned as always, but with an artificial Candy Cane for a stick, or a stick with baubles on it.

Jo Ann
December 20th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Bunned, as usual (but I might experiment with the type of bun :p )--I'm cooking ;)

Cg
December 20th, 2017, 05:34 PM
No different from other days, so bunned. A fake candy cane sounds cute, bparnell75. You had a very Christmasy stick in another thread too!

leayellena
December 20th, 2017, 11:51 PM
a simple nautilus or a lwb with a beak clip. still considering buying or not buying a new beak clip,

psyc2321
December 21st, 2017, 04:58 AM
Some kind of bun with party lights, a la TorrinPaige. Probably not draped double hawser buns, because I have to make breakfast :rolleyes:

Monsterkitti
December 21st, 2017, 05:34 AM
Some kind of bun with party lights, a la TorrinPaige. Probably not draped double hawser buns, because I have to make breakfast :rolleyes:

I'm thinking I might try Torrin's bun for Christmas but if not it'll be a bun with sparkles added. I have a cute star sparkly hair band I'm thinking will be comfy and festive :)

lapushka
December 21st, 2017, 07:42 AM
Well Sunday is Christmas Eve, and so we have people coming round. Normally my wash day is Sunday, but now it's Saturday instead because on wash day I never wear it up and I have to have it in a bun for when we have people over (I want to be neat and polished). Next week is New Year's Eve and... same thing. After that it's back to my normal Sunday-routine. So a regular bun for me, both times. :D

Groovy Granny
December 21st, 2017, 10:50 AM
I am serving family so...it will either be in a ponytail with a kanzashi snowflake (https://www.etsy.com/listing/253967667/satin-snowflake-christmas-and-new-year?ref=shop_home_active_8) or in a french twist with my African Butterfly wire tong comb

Jo Ann
December 21st, 2017, 07:20 PM
I vote "snowflake," GG!

MidnightMoon
December 21st, 2017, 07:47 PM
Down, as I feel prettier with it down/like how it frames my face. I usually add two pins on my temples, and maybe a clip behind, but that's all.

Groovy Granny
December 21st, 2017, 09:09 PM
I vote "snowflake," GG!

LOL thanks...that most likely will be my choice; in cold weather I prefer to wear it down in some fashion ;)

Wavybrunetteuk
December 22nd, 2017, 02:10 AM
Maybe it'll just be plain down for lil old me this Christmas. You guys should post photos of your Christmas updos!

yamsha23
December 22nd, 2017, 03:08 AM
I'll wear the hairtoys I have rare occasion of wearing, like that bronze dragon last year:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25610&d=1482608067

yamsha23
December 22nd, 2017, 03:18 AM
I'd also love to wear my spanish comb (https://www.instagram.com/p/BU2Oza7DRd2/?hl=en&taken-by=torrinpaige), I have the same as Torrin page's but in blue color. Oh how I would love to have all her hair decorations (Torrin, where do you get them from??) like these giant snowflakes (https://www.instagram.com/p/-y0z31M3ee/?hl=en&taken-by=torrinpaige) or these shiny halloween wtf owls and crows (https://www.instagram.com/p/80ys7qs3d6/?hl=en&taken-by=torrinpaige). :p
She makes me want to dress up like a mad girl but I can't go to church like this!

FuzzyBlackWaves
December 22nd, 2017, 03:46 AM
Now that I'm a shortie I don't have a tonne of style options, but I think I'll probably have it curly for our date night on Saturday, and maybe Christmas day as well?

embee
December 22nd, 2017, 04:46 AM
That dragon is *gorgeous*!

I'll have my hair in its usual bun or perhaps a topknot, with a fancier hairstick (the one with the gold knob on the top).

For all those folks whose families give trouble about long hair and haircuts, this is your time for an updo style, holiday theme earrings, and fancy hairtoy. Don't even let the grumpy complaining know-it-alls see your hair length! :)

lapushka
December 22nd, 2017, 05:59 AM
Usual bun for me too. I'm not doing anything special, besides wearing a "special" fork. I can at least do that!!! I think I can even wear my jingle bell sticks (Quattro). Yeah... Need to look for those in my "collection". ;)

Sunday (Christmas Eve, when people are coming round) is usually wash day, so now for 2 weeks (as New Year's Eve is on a Sunday too) my wash day is Saturday instead of Sunday. It's a little bit "different" for me, as I will be washing in the afternoon instead of morning, so... we'll see. It will mean that the week after that I will need to go one more day without washing. Hope my SD doesn't flare because of it, because it's fickle.

TatsuOni
December 22nd, 2017, 09:51 AM
I'll wear it down for Christmas. I usually wear it down once a year, but this year, Christmas will be the third time (counting my two half ups earlier this year).

WildandSeawhite
December 22nd, 2017, 10:21 AM
I was thinking of doing this half up hair bow for Christmas Eve with my family. :D

http://bmodish.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/half-up-half-down-bow-hair-style-bmodish.jpg

They're used to me being a little silly and unique. :p

Groovy Granny
December 22nd, 2017, 10:47 AM
I was thinking of doing this half up hair bow for Christmas Eve with my family. :D

http://bmodish.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/half-up-half-down-bow-hair-style-bmodish.jpg

That isn't silly at all...it is very pretty...and unique ;)

I hope you post a pic if you do it :popcorn:

WildandSeawhite
December 22nd, 2017, 11:51 AM
That isn't silly at all...it is very pretty...and unique ;)

I hope you post a pic if you do it :popcorn:

I will! :D

QuietVixen
December 22nd, 2017, 11:51 AM
I love ribbons so I'll normally braid a few in. Here's my plan for this Christmas. I hope the ribbons don't harm my hair that much!
Also could someone please confirm if my picture goes through? I'm still figuring out the picture posts.

Ribbon braid:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29572&d=1513968436

Natashap
December 22nd, 2017, 12:18 PM
I love ribbons so I'll normally braid a few in. Here's my plan for this Christmas. I hope the ribbons don't harm my hair that much!
Also could someone please confirm if my picture goes through? I'm still figuring out the picture posts.

Ribbon braid:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29572&d=1513968436

Lovely and reminds me of my school days ....LOVE RIBBONS TOO,esp SATIN ONES.

WildandSeawhite
December 22nd, 2017, 12:18 PM

Ribbon braid:

Wow, that's super pretty, QuietVixen! :heart: It's very festive and flattering!

QuietVixen
December 22nd, 2017, 12:30 PM
Aww that's sweet Natashap and WildandSeawhite!. Thank you both for the compliments. :)
I'm sure the both of you will look fabulous for the holidays too.

Groovy Granny
December 22nd, 2017, 12:34 PM
It is very pretty....and actually non damaging. win-win :thumbsup:

Groovy Granny
December 22nd, 2017, 12:36 PM
I will! :D

Awesome :thumbsup:
I envy you....my hair is too fine/wispy for such styles....even french braids are a challenge; so I live through YOU all :crush:

WildandSeawhite
December 22nd, 2017, 12:54 PM
Aww that's sweet Natashap and WildandSeawhite!. Thank you both for the compliments. :)
I'm sure the both of you will look fabulous for the holidays too.

Thank you! :o

Awesome :thumbsup:
I envy you....my hair is too fine/wispy for such styles....even french braids are a challenge; so I live through YOU all :crush:

I envy your gorgeous color and length, Groovy Granny! ;) Sometimes it feels like I'll never get to my goal length. I just got a trim, and of course, the stylist took off 2 inches after I told her not to. :doh: It feels and looks a lot healthier though, so it's all good. :cool:

Groovy Granny
December 22nd, 2017, 01:56 PM
Thank you! :o

I envy your gorgeous color and length, Groovy Granny! ;) Sometimes it feels like I'll never get to my goal length. I just got a trim, and of course, the stylist took off 2 inches after I told her not to. :doh: It feels and looks a lot healthier though, so it's all good. :cool:
Thank you :o

I never thought I would get there from layered chin in 2013 either :p lol

Next time do the trim yourself....plus you'll be busy with a precious little one.... so you can put it up and forget it as it grows ;)

Kikyou
December 22nd, 2017, 02:29 PM
My plan is illuminated style, Torrin Page-inspired. I work this Christmass so this way I'm gonna bring some festive spirit with me by lights and gingerbread. That's a test run to see if I can handle puting the battery pack in and hiding it with my i/ii hair.

http://i63.tinypic.com/1177iaq.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/256wj92.jpg

WildandSeawhite
December 22nd, 2017, 02:30 PM
Thank you :o

I never thought I would get there from layered chin in 2013 either :p lol

Next time do the trim yourself....plus you'll be busy with a precious little one.... so you can put it up and forget it as it grows ;)

The only reason I don't trim it myself is because I like having layers and a v-cut. But, like you said, I'm going to be really busy with my little boy, so it will likely be a while before I trim again. :grin:

Anyway, I didn't mean to get off-topic from the thread. Back to the regularly scheduled program... :disco:

WildandSeawhite
December 22nd, 2017, 02:33 PM
My plan is illuminated style, Torrin Page-inspired. I work this Christmass so this way I'm gonna bring some festive spirit with me by lights and gingerbread. That's a test run to see if I can handle puting the battery pack in and hiding it with my i/ii hair.

:agape: Wow, Kikyou, you are very creative and talented!

Groovy Granny
December 22nd, 2017, 05:15 PM
The only reason I don't trim it myself is because I like having layers and a v-cut. But, like you said, I'm going to be really busy with my little boy, so it will likely be a while before I trim again. :grin:

Anyway, I didn't mean to get off-topic from the thread. Back to the regularly scheduled program... :disco:

It's a boy ...awesome :)

Oh...layers; gotcha :thumbsup:

There are some threads for the compact cut (https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3235226288598694:5897013588&ie=UTF-8&q=compact+cut&sa=Search&ref=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=compact%20cut&gsc.page=1)...they may help you with the shaping too....or give a shout out for up to date info.

Back to topic :whistle:

I am still on the fence for my style the 2 days I am going out;it will depend on weather in the end I guess :shrug:
My DD has decided to have the dinner to help hubby and I (we get so tuckered out); plus we have a snow/ice storm coming and we live out in the boonies :p
So I can 'let it flow' if I want now, seeing I will just be helping :lol:

Kikyou that is so pretty!!

Zalicat
December 22nd, 2017, 08:13 PM

Looks sensational 😵

neko_kawaii
December 22nd, 2017, 09:06 PM
If I remember I’ll add a red pom pom and googely eyes to a bun for the family gathering. Insta Rudolf. I just bought a snowflake TT, but it won’t be here in time.

LadyCelestina
December 23rd, 2017, 01:53 AM
I'm thinking of a big side french braid, maybe tied off with a ribbon! I'm washing my hair today, so tommorow it should be in the right stage of grippy-yet-clean if I don't add anything in the morning.

Too bad I don't have my dry shampoo at home. I recently got one that has zero white cast, yet smells lovely and makes for great volume and grip.

embee
December 23rd, 2017, 07:44 AM

*That* is beyond cool for a Christmas 'do'! :) Sure wish my hair were thick enough to play that game. :)

Tassledown
December 23rd, 2017, 04:54 PM
I've got mine in two braids and hair-taped with ribbon (and a friend's help) for at least the next few days, so we'll see if it lasts through Christmas Day or not. My family is not very big into Christmas and it's not my holiday anyways, so my main concern is just a travel-friendly, low-maintanence style - although I know that people will still think it looks fancy anyways!

Matilda18
December 24th, 2017, 09:13 AM
My family (parents) is very much into Christmas and as religious folks, my mother especially always made me dress conservatively for major Christian holidays. Up until 2 years ago ( I'm 18 now) my Christmas' hair was always 2 high tied ponytails ( I mean with hair elastics tied about 1 inch above each ear) very neatly done , middle part ,no bangs . As for ponytail holders for the ocassion I had the twin ball ponytail, red ones ( as for Christmas I always have a red dress)
But today & tomorrow I do a single french braid, shoulder length.

Groovy Granny
December 24th, 2017, 12:40 PM
I am serving family so...it will either be in a ponytail with a kanzashi snowflake (https://www.etsy.com/listing/253967667/satin-snowflake-christmas-and-new-year?ref=shop_home_active_8) or in a french twist with my African Butterfly wire tong comb

I decided on the kanzashi snowflake :o
The snowflake and barrette both have crystal bling that doesn't show....to match the front of my sweater that has glitter on the snowflakes.

QuietVixen
December 24th, 2017, 01:07 PM
The snowflake and barrette both have crystal bling that doesn't show....to match the front of my sweater (what has glitter on the snowflakes).

Please excuse the lighting...pic ....wispies ....all of it LOL

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29585&d=1514144249

That is absolutely gorgeous, Groovy Granny! I love how the top ornament above the snowflake matches the center of the snowflake. It's so elegant and beautiful! Your hair is phenomenal too; it looks healthy and I love the braid in between the ornament and snowflake!

Ligeia Noire
December 24th, 2017, 04:02 PM
Classy as always Groovy Granny.

Cg
December 24th, 2017, 05:25 PM
The snowflake and barrette both have crystal bling that doesn't show....to match the front of my sweater (what has glitter on the snowflakes).

Please excuse the lighting...pic ....wispies ....all of it LOL

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29585&d=1514144249

Very pretty!

Robi-Bird
December 24th, 2017, 06:06 PM
Just down, with a little barrette at the side. I played with my waves. I'm going to church and I haven't attended much the last few years and all the ladies think my hair is short. Ha ha, not anymore so I want to show it off.

Dark40
December 24th, 2017, 09:28 PM
I'm planning on wearing mine down but for night time I always wear it in a half bun, ponytail, or 2 braids.

Groovy Granny
December 24th, 2017, 10:15 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous, Groovy Granny! I love how the top ornament above the snowflake matches the center of the snowflake. It's so elegant and beautiful! Your hair is phenomenal too; it looks healthy and I love the braid in between the ornament and snowflake!

Classy as always Groovy Granny.

Very pretty!

Thank you all ~ that is very sweet of you :o

Yeah the match was pretty close; it is just hard to capture the detail with my hand tremor/bad lighting/basic digital camera/no help ;)

It was easy to do and fun to wear, so I will do it again when we go out later today after clearing snow.

WildandSeawhite
December 29th, 2017, 12:43 PM

I tried to do the bow on Christmas Eve, but I just couldn’t make it work. :-( I had a cold and I just didn’t have the patience. My family wouldn’t have noticed anyway. I was just doing it for me. Instead, I put half of it up in an elastic and covered the elastic with a piece of hair. Then I did some loose curls.

I would love to try the bow style another time. It’s more complicated than it looks.

It's a boy ...awesome :)

Oh...layers; gotcha :thumbsup:

There are some threads for the compact cut (https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-3235226288598694:5897013588&ie=UTF-8&q=compact+cut&sa=Search&ref=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=compact%20cut&gsc.page=1)...they may help you with the shaping too....or give a shout out for up to date info.

Thank you for the link, Groovy Granny! I’ll check that out, because I really don’t trust anyone to not cut too much every time I need it trimmed.

The snowflake and barrette both have crystal bling that doesn't show....to match the front of my sweater that has glitter on the snowflakes.

That snowflake is gorgeous! :love: I can imagine it looked amazing in your hair!

Ligeia Noire
December 30th, 2017, 07:36 PM
I will wear it in half up up I think, I have not washed it in two weeks so my wash day will be tomorrow, finally, just a couple of hours before we leave for a New Year's party, so it will be wet, I will probably freeze as it has been icy cold lately.

TatsuOni
December 31st, 2017, 06:16 AM
Today it's in a warrior/battle braid :)

yamsha23
December 31st, 2017, 07:41 AM
my plan is illuminated style, torrin page-inspired. I work this christmass so this way i'm gonna bring some festive spirit with me by lights and gingerbread. That's a test run to see if i can handle puting the battery pack in and hiding it with my i/ii hair.

awesome!!! :D

neko_kawaii
January 2nd, 2018, 09:31 PM
I finally got photos off my camera.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4596/38559271855_3664c3639a.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21Kmm8Z)

Kat
January 3rd, 2018, 08:15 AM
My go-to "up" style is Heidi braids, and I wore my hair that way for both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, but I admit I'm getting a bit tired of it. I'm just not sure what else to do that's pretty and elegant and easy to do. Bun to me is only so-so, I'm not that great at them (I can make them functional and even presentable but not pretty), I'm not that into many bun variations, etc. Many other styles are either too difficult in my hair, or end up huge and head-eating, which I don't like (especially since my head is on the small side).

I forgot to braid colored ribbons in for Christmas... should have. I braided in gold for New Year's Eve but they weren't really noticeable (I'm not always good at braiding such that the ribbons show, especially since I was making us late to get going so I wasn't going to spend a ton of time). My friend very sweetly said that he could see them, though, even though I'm certain that was BS. :)

Shorty89
January 3rd, 2018, 05:29 PM
It's a bit late, but here's how I wore my hair. Not the greatest shot.

https://i.imgur.com/ymq5hKK.jpg

languagenut
January 7th, 2018, 08:52 PM

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4596/38559271855_3664c3639a.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21Kmm8Z)

:rollin: That's awesome!

For Christmas Eve I had my hair in a half-up bun with my self-made "peppermint stick" hairsticks; I liked how it turned out but unfortunately don't have any pictures :-(.

Pumpkin3826
January 11th, 2018, 08:59 AM

This is soo cute! I love that! :o

Ariel love
February 22nd, 2018, 07:59 AM
I am such a introvert that I don't go out at all during holidays just oil my hair straight for 3-4 days with castor and mustard oil and then wash it so I put it in a braid or bun.