PDA

View Full Version : Nightly BBB to help a dry, flaky scalp. Danger?

Isobibbel
December 19th, 2017, 07:01 PM
so for as long as i can remember i've had very dry skin all over.
Over the past two years my scalp has been getting worse, flaking all the time (even just after shampooing) and itching like crazy.
I read somewhere that sectioning out your hair and brushing it with a boar bristle brush so that all of your scalp gets massaged by the bristles can help.
This past week I've been doing this nightly and the results have been great! It feels so therapeutic to spend 15 minutes or so paying attention to my scalp before bed. I've seen a dramatic decrease of flakes and my scalp feels much better, I don't catch myself scratching my head during the day, it's a complete 180.

So here's the question.
With this sort or routine am I actually going to do more harm than good? I tried this out not expecting such good results so fast so if I'm putting my hair at greater risk of damage I'd like to know before I get too attached to this routine.

Shorty89
December 19th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Some people do have a bit of breakage with a BBB, but I use it kind of like you do and I haven't noticed any increase in damage. I'd just try to make sure that your hair is brushed before you use it. :)

sumidha
December 19th, 2017, 10:19 PM
Nope, you're totally fine. Scalp massage/exfoliation is a great use for a BBB. :)

akurah
December 19th, 2017, 10:42 PM
From reading the description of how happy the BBB sounds like it’s making your scalp, your scalp may also enjoy a periodic sugar scrub. I don’t think what you’re doing sounds damaging, but it depends on fragility of your hair. My hair wouldn’t break from it but more fragile hair might.

Deborah
December 19th, 2017, 11:50 PM
Sounds like what you are doing is working great! Many folks LOVE there BBB's and seem to get great results from daily use of them. Keep it up!

Isobibbel
December 20th, 2017, 12:13 AM
thank you, everyone. I was worried since my hair is very fine, but I've been being gentle and you guys have reassured me :)

TatsuOni
December 20th, 2017, 01:52 AM
I've been writing about it before here and I've been doing this for maybe a year now? My scalp loves it and my hair is less dry. My hair has taken no damage from it.

Isobibbel
December 20th, 2017, 02:33 AM
I've been writing about it before here and I've been doing this for maybe a year now? My scalp loves it and my hair is less dry. My hair has taken no damage from it.

thank you! it's very reassuring to hear

lapushka
December 20th, 2017, 06:57 AM
If your scalp is flaking and itching a brush is not going to solve your issue.

Is your scalp dry or is it oily, because if oily it is more likely that it is something called SD, seborrheic dermatitis (you can mistake oily for dry in this case, I have SD, so I know this all too well). If you have to wash more than once a week, your scalp is NOT dry.

Are you using a sulfate-free shampoo? If so, it might not be cleansing enough and you might have to switch to Head & Shoulders for a while as that would help with this issue a tad. OTOH if you are using sulfates, you might have to switch to sulfate-free.

Did you make the switch to sulfate free a couple years ago, per chance?

LadyCelestina
December 20th, 2017, 07:35 AM
^ Adding to what lapushka has said, flaking right after you shampoo might be a reaction to something in the shampoo. Common culprits are detergents, perfume, essential oils, emollient ingredients (such as oils or silicones).

Aredhel
December 20th, 2017, 08:11 AM
I used to do this to get rid of my dandruff, but it was only a temporary fix for whenever I actually brushed. My scalp would keep flaking though and I'd have to brush again the next day to get rid of the new wave of dandruff. :rolleyes: I found that switching my main shampoo to H&S Itchy Scalp Care with Eucalyptus and combing my scalp in the shower with a shower comb whenever I shampoo (advice I'd seen given to several members by spidermom) was the only real solution for me.

I don't get dandruff anymore - unless I don't shampoo with my H&S, or I forget to comb my scalp in the shower.

Isobibbel
December 20th, 2017, 09:27 AM
If your scalp is flaking and itching a brush is not going to solve your issue.

Is your scalp dry or is it oily, because if oily it is more likely that it is something called SD, seborrheic dermatitis (you can mistake oily for dry in this case, I have SD, so I know this all too well). If you have to wash more than once a week, your scalp is NOT dry.

Are you using a sulfate-free shampoo? If so, it might not be cleansing enough and you might have to switch to Head & Shoulders for a while as that would help with this issue a tad. OTOH if you are using sulfates, you might have to switch to sulfate-free.

Did you make the switch to sulfate free a couple years ago, per chance?

i started using a sulphate free shampoo a couple of months ago

lapushka
December 20th, 2017, 01:49 PM
i started using a sulphate free shampoo a couple of months ago

That probably isn't it, unless you have noticed it getting worse these past few months? :)

Isobibbel
December 20th, 2017, 02:05 PM
That probably isn't it, unless you have noticed it getting worse these past few months? :)

it actually made it a little better, i don't have problems with oiliness and only need to shampoo once a week.
does it sound like the brushing would actually do any harm?

lapushka
December 20th, 2017, 04:24 PM
it actually made it a little better, i don't have problems with oiliness and only need to shampoo once a week.
does it sound like the brushing would actually do any harm?

If your scalp produces flakes, it's irritated, brushing can make it more irritated due to the mechanical wear on it; I would personally not do it vigorously, no.

And I would get it checked by a dermatologist, or a GP.

Cg
December 20th, 2017, 05:50 PM
You've said your scalp condition has improved and there's been no damage to your hair. As long as you keep getting positive results, there's no logical reason to imagine something is wrong.

Like yours, my skin is also very dry, and my scalp would flake and itch if I did not stimulate it with my BBB. Doesn't mean there's a medical problem.

I get few splits, and those are a result of haste in styling or just clumsy manipulation on my part. The brush is innocent. As long as you like your results, relax and enjoy the fact that you've found something that works for you.

TatsuOni
December 21st, 2017, 05:09 AM
You've said your scalp condition has improved and there's been no damage to your hair. As long as you keep getting positive results, there's no logical reason to imagine something is wrong.

Like yours, my skin is also very dry, and my scalp would flake and itch if I did not stimulate it with my BBB. Doesn't mean there's a medical problem.

I get few splits, and those are a result of haste in styling or just clumsy manipulation on my part. The brush is innocent. As long as you like your results, relax and enjoy the fact that you've found something that works for you.

I agree with this :agree:

lapushka
December 21st, 2017, 06:08 AM

Flakes are not pleasant. And brushing is not going to solve that, that is just a fact, I'm afraid. You'll need to throw a few more things at it.

Maybe, if it's not such a thing as SD, try and oil your scalp, and gently pry the flakes loose with a brush. Use it as a tool to get the flakes out, but for regular vigorous brushing? I would personally not do that daily. I would only do it to the scalp pre-washing.

Cg
December 21st, 2017, 04:13 PM
Flakes are not pleasant. And brushing is not going to solve that, that is just a fact, I'm afraid. You'll need to throw a few more things at it.

Maybe, if it's not such a thing as SD, try and oil your scalp, and gently pry the flakes loose with a brush. Use it as a tool to get the flakes out, but for regular vigorous brushing? I would personally not do that daily. I would only do it to the scalp pre-washing.

In fact, my dry flaky scalp does stop flaking after I brush. I don't need to do anything else with it. Very dry skin is its own monster, it seems.

lapushka
December 21st, 2017, 04:19 PM
In fact, my dry flaky scalp does stop flaking after I brush. I don't need to do anything else with it. Very dry skin is its own monster, it seems.

Hmm, odd, IMO. But if it helps you, then more power to you.

I think SD flaking is another beast altogether and we shouldn't confuse the two. I can't brush that mess out, when I start to flake. Not at all. But dry skin might be totally different. :shrug: :)

Isobibbel
December 21st, 2017, 05:49 PM
now i'm even more doubtful... gonna be difficult to find a dermatologist in my crappy town..

Chromis
December 22nd, 2017, 06:04 AM
Hmm, odd, IMO. But if it helps you, then more power to you.

I think SD flaking is another beast altogether and we shouldn't confuse the two. I can't brush that mess out, when I start to flake. Not at all. But dry skin might be totally different. :shrug: :)

Yeah, I was going to say, your SD advice might not apply to simply dry skin and would make my scalp very, very displeased. Also, when people talk about this kind of brushing, it is not a rough brushing. Not all hairtypes can do BBB, but even among those who don't, many really like scritching and preening. I like scritching on wash days. For a while there were a number of popular thread about using a fine toothed horn comb for this (I like my fingernails best)

I am going to guess that dry skin is more common than SD

akurah
December 22nd, 2017, 08:35 AM
now i'm even more doubtful... gonna be difficult to find a dermatologist in my crappy town..

To be quite frank, if what you’re doing is helping, I’d bet a nickel it’s dry skin. I wouldn’t seek a dermatologist unless it gets worse or otherwise stops helping

DweamGoiL
December 22nd, 2017, 08:40 AM
I have eczema on parts of my face (creases on the sides of my lips, creases around the base of the nose, and chin). I manage it with washing with very mild, non-abrasive gel and water based lotion and shea butter to seal everything in. My scalp in the Winter in particular is super dry. Eczema can also manifest itself as flaking, but it's more dryness than anything else. If the brushing is helping, and I know, it helps me as well because it not only increases circulation, but it stimulates your scalp to produce more sebum as well as remove those pesky flakes that tend to linger between strands of hair, then continue that. If the flaking can't be managed this way in the long run, then yes, a dematology visit is in order. Since my eczema is considered very mild, I don't get medicated creams. It was hard to even get the doctors to take me seriously. I am lucky I can manage it with OTC emolients. A lot of it is trial and error. If it works for you, don't worry about it so much. The more you stress, the worse it gets.

As a relevant aside, when I was using my BBB nightly, my hair was the thickest, shiniest, and healthiest it's ever been. My fine hair LOVED nightly brushing so unless you are plowing through and ripping your hair out of your scalp, I can't see damage being a big issue. I am sure you already know to detangle carefully before using your BBB to prep the hair for brushing. The main 2 things to avoid damage are detangle first, and then take your time and enjoy!

TatsuOni
December 22nd, 2017, 08:48 AM
To be quite frank, if what you’re doing is helping, I’d bet a nickel it’s dry skin. I wouldn’t seek a dermatologist unless it gets worse or otherwise stops helping

Sounds like a dry scalp to me too.

I have a dry scalp and dry skin and this works for me. Sure I use some other stuff too, but this is the one thing that makes my scalp almost "normal".

lapushka
December 22nd, 2017, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I was going to say, your SD advice might not apply to simply dry skin and would make my scalp very, very displeased. Also, when people talk about this kind of brushing, it is not a rough brushing. Not all hairtypes can do BBB, but even among those who don't, many really like scritching and preening. I like scritching on wash days. For a while there were a number of popular thread about using a fine toothed horn comb for this (I like my fingernails best)

I am going to guess that dry skin is more common than SD

See that's what I was unsure about! Thanks for clarifying. :)

I have very dry (extremely) facial skin, but my hair is oily/normal (has normalized over the years). I know a lot about dry skin, but not about dry hair. My mom has dry hair (can wash once a month *easily*) but she has no flaking whatsoever. So it is alien to me in a sense. I do know SD, though. But I maybe should stick to what I know. ;) :p

embee
December 22nd, 2017, 12:03 PM
If it seems to be helping, then go for it! If you see it failing, you can always try something else. Seems to me this is ideal: a quick inexpensive help, maybe even a fix. :)

Perhaps the BBB is stimulating your scalp to produce a bit more sebum and that's cutting down on the dry flakiness? Not really worth over-analyzing, though.