PDA

View Full Version : Not What We Seem

MotherofJames
December 19th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Often times we always post our best hair photo so I made it a point today to show what mine looks like before I brush it or do anything to it. LOL. I like to call it my Poodle Hair :- )

If I blow dry it ( with cold air), then apply some natural oils, it will be very straight; as in my profile signature .
If I air dry it, it comes out like this. I normally air dry it first and then boars head brush it after its completely dry, then Tek brush it with some oil and it will be semi wavy. But if I dont touch it at all, this is what my hair looks like its completely natural state.

hehee. ;) Any ideas on how to tame the bigness, let me know . Lol.

Cheers :beerchug:

https://s13.postimg.org/t2uhejmsz/unnamed-1.png (https://postimg.org/image/t2uhejmsz/)

https://s13.postimg.org/5omi2kf5f/unnamed-2.png (https://postimg.org/image/5omi2kf5f/)

Dendra
December 19th, 2017, 04:16 PM
I think it looks great! No taming needed :)

lapushka
December 19th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Yes, I agree with Dendra. Try wearing it natural more, it's *lovely*! :D Plus you can "scrunch" all sorts of nice styling products into it to make the waves even more pronounced!

MotherofJames
December 19th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks girls! Thats what my best friend said recently ! I dont know whats best to use for it though. Mousse? gel? Im so scared to put anything in it other than oil, I dont even know where to start. Im so anti-hairspray too, so I think im just scared . What if a product makes it break? Hah! :/ silly me lol. I dont know much about stuff like that so I basically walk around like a brillo pad, lol

WildandSeawhite
December 19th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I agree with Dendra and lapushka. Your hair looks gorgeous natural! You have beautiful shiny waves!

Have you ever tried the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie? My hair is 2b and really responds well to it. I use it after applying a leave-in and jojoba oil, and I only use like a pea-sized amount.

lapushka
December 19th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Thanks girls! Thats what my best friend said recently ! I dont know whats best to use for it though. Mousse? gel? Im so scared to put anything in it other than oil, I dont even know where to start. Im so anti-hairspray too, so I think im just scared . What if a product makes it break? Hah! :/ silly me lol. I dont know much about stuff like that so I basically walk around like a brillo pad, lol

If you're just starting out with styling, then I'd try just a regular leave-in, and a tiny bit of gel (coinsize!), all spread through palms & scrunched in. If you become more experienced, you could invest in a curl cream (the curl enhancing smoothie by Shea Moisture is a good one!) and then go from there.

I use a coinsize for each layer of my styling products and my hair is almost classic (all but a couple of inches); if it is shorter I'd go for a bit less. Honestly, you don't need much if you're just wavy enough. Curly hair? You can use more of the products but I'd not start out with the biggest amount! Trust me on that. Been there, done that, regretted it majorly. LOL!

MotherofJames
December 19th, 2017, 04:40 PM
I agree with Dendra and lapushka. Your hair looks gorgeous natural! You have beautiful shiny waves!

Have you ever tried the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie? My hair is 2b and really responds well to it. I use it after applying a leave-in and jojoba oil, and I only use like a pea-sized amount.

Thank you so much! and no, I havent tried that but I will get some and try it. I once tried their hibiscus body oil ( im a massage therapist) and I liked it alot so Ill definitely try the smoothie. Thanks!

Im so basic when it comes to my hair lol. I really need to venture out and try different stuff. I do all the flowers,oils, and herbs from Ayurveda remedies, but for styling wavy hair, Im always at a loss so I always throw it up in my wooden hair forks I got off Etsy ( in my avatar)

:happydance::slap:

MotherofJames
December 19th, 2017, 04:45 PM
If you're just starting out with styling, then I'd try just a regular leave-in, and a tiny bit of gel (coinsize!), all spread through palms & scrunched in. If you become more experienced, you could invest in a curl cream (the curl enhancing smoothie by Shea Moisture is a good one!) and then go from there.

I use a coinsize for each layer of my styling products and my hair is almost classic (all but a couple of inches); if it is shorter I'd go for a bit less. Honestly, you don't need much if you're just wavy enough. Curly hair? You can use more of the products but I'd not start out with the biggest amount! Trust me on that. Been there, done that, regretted it majorly. LOL!

Good Idea, Lapushka! Ill try it. Its funny, for years, I did that whole " bleach, dye, highlights, keratin, brazillian blowout straighting, and my flat iron was my best friend. yearsssss and yearssss. From early high School to late 20's. And now im sitting here, will be 36 in March, and realizing exactly what my hair type is . Its so sad how misinformed I was .LOL! I think alot of people are, until they discover the amazing LHC and what the truth is! <3

WildandSeawhite
December 19th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Thank you so much! and no, I havent tried that but I will get some and try it. I once tried their hibiscus body oil ( im a massage therapist) and I liked it alot so Ill definitely try the smoothie. Thanks!

Im so basic when it comes to my hair lol. I really need to venture out and try different stuff. I do all the flowers,oils, and herbs from Ayurveda remedies, but for styling wavy hair, Im always at a loss so I always throw it up in my wooden hair forks I got off Etsy ( in my avatar)

:happydance::slap:

Ooo, I'll have to check out their body oil sometime!

Lapushka's suggestion is really good too, if you aren't used to doing a lot of styling. I haven't tried the Shea Moisture curl & style milk, but I've heard that people really like it. It's lighter than the curl enhancing smoothie. I've had great success with all of their products that I've tried. Plus, they're very natural. :D

lapushka
December 19th, 2017, 04:55 PM
Good Idea, Lapushka! Ill try it. Its funny, for years, I did that whole " bleach, dye, highlights, keratin, brazillian blowout straighting, and my flat iron was my best friend. yearsssss and yearssss. From early high School to late 20's. And now im sitting here, will be 36 in March, and realizing exactly what my hair type is . Its so sad how misinformed I was .LOL! I think alot of people are, until they discover the amazing LHC and what the truth is! <3

That is what happened to me too. In my thirties I discovered my natural hair, and in my teens I absolutely wrecked it because I couldn't handle the "poof". I hope you'll like your journey, and most of all, enjoy it. It will come with a few hiccups, but it's a learning experience, and I'm 45 now and thoroughly enjoying my wavy hair! It is possible!!!

WildandSeawhite
December 19th, 2017, 05:02 PM
That is what happened to me too. In my thirties I discovered my natural hair, and in my teens I absolutely wrecked it because I couldn't handle the "poof". I hope you'll like your journey, and most of all, enjoy it. It will come with a few hiccups, but it's a learning experience, and I'm 45 now and thoroughly enjoying my wavy hair! It is possible!!!

Yep, me 3! I went through this as well. :doh:

Jo Ann
December 19th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Don't feel so badly, MoJ--I'm 61 and realized this year just how curly my hair can be, with the correct products :shocked: And yes, I have pictures of my hair in the past, which sealed the deal for me :)

Better late than never! :flower:

Flowerness
December 19th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I used to fry the blank out of my hair. Hair dryer on high and a hair brush, and the two would touch. Roots to tips. I tried a flat iron. Should have called the thing: the instantly greasy but still not straight machine. I realize now how wurly my hair is. I kind of like that it is wurly/curly/poufy (day 1) and slowly straightens. Why flat iron when you can bun and forget it! Embrace the poof! (Every once in a while, just for fun... help it be fluffier/curlier!) Being kind to your hair has its own rewards!

MotherofJames
December 20th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Heehee ... thanks for the comments, ladies ! I wrote down all those curling creams you each mentioned and going to get them next time I go to store. I am excited about trying them! This is why I love LHC so much. I learn so much and my hair is getting healthier and healthier. And healthier! Lol <3

WildandSeawhite
December 20th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Heehee ... thanks for the comments, ladies ! I wrote down all those curling creams you each mentioned and going to get them next time I go to store. I am excited about trying them! This is why I love LHC so much. I learn so much and my hair is getting healthier and healthier. And healthier! Lol <3

Keep us updated! :D