PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Scalp Itchiness

Chiquita Banana
December 17th, 2017, 08:27 AM
I'm hoping that you all can lead me in the right direction! My head itches like crazy. No dandruff. No rashes. No build-up. No hair loss. Because there is nothing that you can see, the dermatologist has nothing to diagnose. Anyhow, I have been to see a naturopath for something else and had allergy testing done - I cannot have gluten or most dairy because of an autoimmune disease that I have. So, I'm wondering if maybe my itchiness is due to some random food allergy. I have no idea. But it's driving me bonkers. I've tried different soaps and shampoos, shampoo bars with ACV rinses. But I can't find something that will take my itchiness away. Maybe I have some other random autoimmune disease that causes the itch? Has anyone heard of this or know of anything that could help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Beeboo123
December 17th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Have you considered going to an allergist to get a skin prick test done, to find out what food allergy it might be?

I get a very itchy head and face if I use pillows stuffed with material that can harbour dust mites. If you’re living in an arid area, that should not be a problem. I’ve found that anti-dust mite pillow protectors helped, and they work best when used with pillows that don’t harbour mites, like latex pillows.

Chromis
December 17th, 2017, 08:47 AM
I find henna/cassia is amazing at making my scalp itchies disappear like magic, although henna has some obvious side effects. I used henna for years even though I was kind of meh on the red tones just for my scalp (the red fades on me because my hair is weird, so this is less of a big deal in my case), but am finding that cassia does the trick too.

As a general thing, I find my scalp and skin get dry and itchy when I don't have enough fats in my diet. My fingertips especially show it really fast when that is the problem. Might or might apply to you, but I thought I would mention this in case it is helpful! (I eat a high fat diet and still notice if I don't get enough in, but it made a huge improvement in my skin and hair)

Lizabeth94
December 17th, 2017, 08:49 AM
I have celiac and a mast cell disorder (also autoimmune) so i feel u! Are you itchy anywhere else or only your scalp? Until you can see your doctor again it might help to get some anti itch cream and massage it into your hair at the scalp. Then put a scarf or soft hat over to prevent scratching when you hsve the urge.
Are you using a new shampoo or conditioner you might be reacting to? Are you stretching washes or going no poo (sometimes oil build up can be itchy)? Is it super dry where u live in the winter, my skin gets super dry and itchy in the winter, scalp included.

Lizabeth94
December 17th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Sorry for the typos, on mobile.

Chiquita Banana
December 17th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Great suggestions! I don't think it's a skin prick sort of allergy because I don't have a rash, phlegm, epi-pen type of reaction to anything. That's why I did the testing at the naturopath, which is more of a testing for an intolerance. Eliminating wheat and milk from my diet has healed up my auto-immune condition, which has been life changing.

Tell me more about the cassia, Chromis. And yes, Lizabeth, my skin tends to be itchy, too. I never thought about putting an inti-itch cream directly onto my scalp.

lapushka
December 17th, 2017, 09:42 AM
I'm hoping that you all can lead me in the right direction! My head itches like crazy. No dandruff. No rashes. No build-up. No hair loss. Because there is nothing that you can see, the dermatologist has nothing to diagnose. Anyhow, I have been to see a naturopath for something else and had allergy testing done - I cannot have gluten or most dairy because of an autoimmune disease that I have. So, I'm wondering if maybe my itchiness is due to some random food allergy. I have no idea. But it's driving me bonkers. I've tried different soaps and shampoos, shampoo bars with ACV rinses. But I can't find something that will take my itchiness away. Maybe I have some other random autoimmune disease that causes the itch? Has anyone heard of this or know of anything that could help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Seborrheic dermatitis can just start with an itch. I've had it in so many forms. The flaking first, the redness first, or the itchiness first and only the itchiness.

If you can, I would still go see a dermatologist and leave your scalp unwashed for a few days when you go there.

Maybe try Nizoral 1%; it is OTC in the US (the 2% is OTC here and is the "normal" dosage for a normal case of SD) and if that takes the itch away, you'll know you're on the right track. If you can't go in to see a derm!

I would still discuss with a doctor.

akurah
December 17th, 2017, 09:50 AM
When you draw a line over your skin, does it leave a red mark that lasts an abnormal amount of time (over 30 minutes), or a welt? You may need to test this on your scalp or near your scalp unfortunately. If it does, it could be dermatographia.

Dermatographia (my condition, my version is idiopathic) can also be a symptom of autoimmune diseases, and you have one. An allergist or immunologist should be able to confirm. If it is in fact dermatographia, it probably didn't occur to them because you describe yours as localized.

As for topical itchiness relief, pyrithione zinc is the ticket. Try head and shoulders if you haven't already, and if you can, get the fragrance free version (it's labelled dye and fragrance free) because most forms of urticaria are aggravated by the chemicals in fragrances. It might be prudent to start avoiding fragranced products on your scalp altogether? I would suggest trying it at least.

Do not use hydrocortisone cream regardless of the cause of your itchiness. That stuff is for once offs, like bug bites and poison ivy. It will thin your skin, and you do not want to thin your scalp skin.

Lizabeth94
December 17th, 2017, 11:34 AM
I respectfully disagree with akurah about the anti itch cream... using it temporarily won't hurt your scalp. However if you feel itchy everywhere, and are convinced its not an allergy or related to your autoimmune condition, i would try moisturizing your scalp as it might be a case of severe dry winter skin. My favorite way is to dilute a couple cans of full fat coconut milk in the bath and soak everything (whole body, scalp to toes), then let the water drain out of the tub (no rinsing) and gentlt towel dry off. I have to do this 2 or 3 times a week in the winter as it gets so dry here or my skin dries out and itches.

akurah
December 17th, 2017, 11:44 AM
I respectfully disagree with akurah about the anti itch cream... using it temporarily won't hurt your scalp. However if you feel itchy everywhere, and are convinced its not an allergy or related to your autoimmune condition, i would try moisturizing your scalp as it might be a case of severe dry winter skin. My favorite way is to dilute a couple cans of full fat coconut milk in the bath and soak everything (whole body, scalp to toes), then let the water drain out of the tub (no rinsing) and gentlt towel dry off. I have to do this 2 or 3 times a week in the winter as it gets so dry here or my skin dries out and itches.

You're not respectfully disagreeing with me, you're respectfully disagreeing with both my allergist/immunologist and my dermatologist. That stuff is fine for temporary conditions only, and so unless it's known to be a temporary condition, I think it's a bad idea.

lucid
December 17th, 2017, 11:53 AM
When you're switching products, how long do you try them out for? I used a shampoo my skin reacted to for a couple of washes before I figured out what was wrong (itched like crazy, but no dandruff or visible redness) and it took 3- 4 weeks before the itching subsided after switching shampoo.

Lizabeth94
December 17th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Again.... respectfully... ive been told by own allergist thats safe to use anywhere including my scalp. I see one regularly for my mast cell disorder. In fact several years ago i died my hair brunette and suffered a severe allergic reaction, blisters and red rash that lasted 2 weeks straight... i had to use anti itch gel every day. Then i proceeded to torture myself for several more months trying different brands of dye hoping to find one im not allergic to (dumb i know). I reacted to them all, resulting in more daily use of anti itch cream. Ive since learned my lesson and wont dye my hair ever again, but the anti itch cream never hurt my scalp, or caused hair thinning, or skin thinning.
Of course if (chiquita banana) has any concerns she can always ask her personal doctors first. :)

akurah
December 17th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Again.... respectfully... ive been told by own allergist thats safe to use anywhere including my scalp. I see one regularly for my mast cell disorder. In fact several years ago i died my hair brunette and suffered a severe allergic reaction, blisters and red rash that lasted 2 weeks straight... i had to use anti itch gel every day. Then i proceeded to torture myself for several more months trying different brands of dye hoping to find one im not allergic to (dumb i know). I reacted to them all, resulting in more daily use of anti itch cream. Ive since learned my lesson and wont dye my hair ever again, but the anti itch cream never hurt my scalp, or caused hair thinning, or skin thinning.
Of course if (chiquita banana) has any concerns she can always ask her personal doctors first. :)

You keep saying anti-itch cream. There’s more than one. Some are safe for daily use, OTC hydrocortisone is not recommended or generally considered safe for long term daily use.

MusicalSpoons
December 17th, 2017, 12:09 PM

This is what the doctor (general doctor but has a special interest in dermatology) tels me about steroid creams/lotions. Sometimes they are required just to break the itch/scratch cycle, to relieve the worst of it and get the itching down to tolerable levels. Temporary usage is the key. As akurah says, not for long-term, daily use.

---

I've been having huge itchy skin problems recently, and the scalp is obviously the hardest to treat. I don't know what the weather is like in Colorado but here we've been having a very cold spell (relatively cold, for us) after a very mild few weeks and the doctor said she's had a huge influx of skin patients just as the weather changed. I genuinely didn't know how severely weather could affect skin, but it's something to consider. [This is the first year mine has got so dry/itchy I've had to go to the doctor about it; normally I can cope with using extra moisturiser.]

akurah
December 17th, 2017, 12:18 PM
This is what the doctor (general doctor but has a special interest in dermatology) tels me about steroid creams/lotions. Sometimes they are required just to break the itch/scratch cycle, to relieve the worst of it and get the itching down to tolerable levels. Temporary usage is the key. As akurah says, not for long-term, daily use.

---

I've been having huge itchy skin problems recently, and the scalp is obviously the hardest to treat. I don't know what the weather is like in Colorado but here we've been having a very cold spell (relatively cold, for us) after a very mild few weeks and the doctor said she's had a huge influx of skin patients just as the weather changed. I genuinely didn't know how severely weather could affect skin, but it's something to consider. [This is the first year mine has got so dry/itchy I've had to go to the doctor about it; normally I can cope with using extra moisturiser.]

Part of my itch control routine includes a thick layer of moisturizer cream on basically all of my skin. I wonder if a possible solution for itching might involve going against conventional wisdom and conditioning the scalp explicitly with something heavy moisturizering?

lapushka
December 17th, 2017, 12:26 PM

I disagree too. I have to use a strong cortisone cream regularly. I use pain patches and they leave a "burn" type patch underneath on my skin. As long as you leave enough time in between (and not use it daily) it will barely or not thin out your skin. If you use it once it will *certainly* not do that! Otherwise my skin would have "cracked" a long long time ago. I have been using pain patches since 2004, and that is over a decade.

Lizabeth94
December 17th, 2017, 12:28 PM
Yes, as i said repeatedly, temporary use wont hurt anything. :wink: And also if its a bad case of the dry winter "itchies" moisturizing can do the trick, even though it might make your hair feel a bit greasy. Its worth it if it helps the itching. Diluted full fat coconut milk works great for me, and no strange chemicals or fragrances to irritate the scalp further.

Lizabeth94
December 17th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I disagree too. I have to use a strong cortisone cream regularly. I use pain patches and they leave a "burn" type patch underneath on my skin. As long as you leave enough time in between (and not use it daily) it will barely or not thin out your skin. If you use it once it will *certainly* not do that! Otherwise my skin would have "cracked" a long long time ago. I have been using pain patches since 2004, and that is over a decade.

Yes exactly!

akurah
December 17th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Once off use as needed isn’t going to cause harm, even if that use is regular.

Temporary use is not going to cause harm.

Daily regular use is, and people who are itchy are often desperate NOT to itch. Which can turn into long term daily use. It will, with long term daily use, cause skin damage. That’s the point I was getting at. If she needs to use it more than a few days, she’s better off being warned of the dangers.

If you need a definition of long term daily use, either ask the doctor or go by the label, my hydrocortisone says “don’t use daily past 7 days unless supervised by a doctor.”

ETA: my original post may have been excessive emphatic on this point but I am more accustomed to dealing with people with chronic itch like me who shouldn’t use hydrocortisone at all for the very reason outlined above.

marvel-lover
December 17th, 2017, 01:01 PM
I'm newly diagnosed (incredibly so. As in, only days ago) with an autoimmune disease as well (Hashimoto's) and I have a very dry, itchy scalp. I was also losing my hair (still am, though not as bad as I was).

What helps me is washing with Head and Shoulders Selenium Sulfide shampoo. I just lather it on, then keep it on for 5-10 minutes before I rinse it off. It helps me with my itch so much! I also use vinegar rinses. I hope this helps!

Chromis
December 17th, 2017, 01:42 PM
Great suggestions! I don't think it's a skin prick sort of allergy because I don't have a rash, phlegm, epi-pen type of reaction to anything. That's why I did the testing at the naturopath, which is more of a testing for an intolerance. Eliminating wheat and milk from my diet has healed up my auto-immune condition, which has been life changing.

Tell me more about the cassia, Chromis. And yes, Lizabeth, my skin tends to be itchy, too. I never thought about putting an inti-itch cream directly onto my scalp.

So, I got nothing on the medical advice and am staying out of that. (Also, there are loads of conditions and loads of doctors, not all things are treated the same way and not all doctors agree. Please don't make us pull out the modbold.)

I don't recall if you have ever done henna CB, but cassia is very similar. It is dried plant powder which you mix into cassia "mud", slather on your scalp, let it sit for a while and then rinse out. Copiously. It does import a faint golden colour on very light hair, but it is basically invisible on darker hair. I have also been having good luck with sedr, which is colourless. Cassia and henna both have antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Chiquita Banana
December 17th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Oh my. Thank you, everyone. I'm not wanting to start a medical fight of any sort and am not looking for a diagnosis. Just wanting some relief. I appreciate all of your questions and advice very much.

I like using more natural products on my hair - shampoo bars with an ACV rinse, Trader Joe's shampoos. I went no-poo for a while. But recently, the itching got so bad that I caved and bought a bottle of Head and Shoulders. It didn't help and I hated how my hair felt - super tangly and just yuck. I'm more inclined to go hard-core with my diet to see if something there could be the culprit and then try something super moisturizing on my scalp. Can any of you recommend a good deep conditioning scalp treatment? I've never tried henna but like that the cassia is antibacterial and antifungal - in case that could be the issue.

If I don't get some relief soon, I'll go back in to see the doctor. I don't like going to the dr... but I'll do it if I have to.

lapushka
December 17th, 2017, 03:40 PM
Washing just once with the H&S might not be enough. Try washing at least 3 consecutive washes in a row and then see how you feel. It might very well be that your scalp is not suited towards more natural ways of treating it (mine wasn't). Just one wash isn't going to do much, I can tell you that much, so see over time what it does (I don't know how often you wash, but you might need to up the frequency a bit too).

lucid
December 17th, 2017, 03:51 PM
It can take time before itching subsides after switching products, so you may need to give it some time as well. :)

Like I said, it took over 3 weeks for me after switching shampoo. I had horrible itching which was driving me crazy after using a new shampoo for a while. I also had greasier hair, probably because my scalp was irritated. No dandruff or visible redness though. I still have some itching, but I think that is just my skin in general.

Chiquita Banana
December 17th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Washing just once with the H&S might not be enough. Try washing at least 3 consecutive washes in a row and then see how you feel. It might very well be that your scalp is not suited towards more natural ways of treating it (mine wasn't). Just one wash isn't going to do much, I can tell you that much, so see over time what it does (I don't know how often you wash, but you might need to up the frequency a bit too).

I didn't just wash once with H&S. I tried it for a couple of weeks. And I wash every 4th day. Maybe that wasn't enough time to try it, but I really hated putting all those chemicals on my head and my hair felt horrible and it didn't ease the itch at all.

My plan as of now is to try to moisturize my scalp, keep a food diary to try and catch any food triggers and then go from there. Will research cassia, too.

akurah
December 17th, 2017, 08:44 PM
I just remembered, I used apply dilute vinegar to my scalp. It soothed the itching a bit. I forgot the ratio but I think i used 1:5 vinegar:water. It helped a little bit but you have to deal with the odor until it dries. I stopped doing it at some point, I think because my mister ran out, and forgot because I was too lazy to refill it.

cjk
December 17th, 2017, 10:38 PM
How often do you wash, and with what?

Shampoo can be very drying and damaging. So can a blow dryer and styling products.

I agree with the earlier poster about a lack of dietary fats, I also eat a high fat diet. And I've not shampooed my hair in 2017, though I do regular water-only rinses to keep my hair clean.

Itchiness can come from a number of sources, including dryness. And that involves skin health and topical treatments...including shampoo.

Would you be open to trying no-poo or con-poo for a few weeks? I'd be curious to know if the itchiness goes away.

ReptilianFeline
December 18th, 2017, 04:13 AM
If you want something natural, then try to make a plantain mix. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=208&c=6#.Wjehu9_ibic
I have used crushed plantain leaves to relieve intchyness from mosquito bites. Clean the leaves, put them in a blender and mix with a little bit of water, then apply to your scalp. This is not a cure, just a thought on making the itch go away for a while.

lapushka
December 18th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Maybe Aloe Vera can help. There is a DIY pre-poo out there, in which you buy a fresh leaf, cut a bit off, cut it in half, and then start making partings in your hair and smearing it on. Naptural85 did a video on it a while ago now. Worth it to go check her channel for that particular video.

lostchyld
December 18th, 2017, 06:29 PM
I'm going to respectfully agree with akurah. My docs also say that hydrocortisone cream causes thinning of the skin. For temporary things, it's fine, but I was specifically advised against using it to treat ongoing conditions. Ongoing meaning more than one day in a row.

I haven't found solutions for an itchy scalp. Washing the exact right number of times in a week with exactly the right shampoo seems to do the best for me. How many times is right? Your scalp will tell you.

I also had to switch shampoos and conditioners because I suspected a sensitivity to an ingredient based on other contact with that ingredient.

lapushka
December 19th, 2017, 04:39 AM
I'm going to respectfully agree with akurah. My docs also say that hydrocortisone cream causes thinning of the skin. For temporary things, it's fine, but I was specifically advised against using it to treat ongoing conditions. Ongoing meaning more than one day in a row.

I think we're all agreeing, in fact that temporary or one-time use is OK. Nothing to be fearful of.

I have had to use it on and off, for over a decade on the same 3 spots on my body, and I haven't even noticed my skin thinning. And I am using the strongest cortisone cream there is (Dermovate). So yeah; if my experience counts for something. ;)

enting
December 25th, 2017, 06:32 PM
I have heard that allergies and sensitivities can cause itchy scalp. I'd agree with going to an allergist.

My scalp is also itchy. I never would have thought of it on my own, but someone once mentioned sugar as being a trigger for itchiness. This may not be true for everyone, but I ended up noticing that my scalp is itchier when I've had a large amount of sugar. I also have environmental allergies that aren't totally compensated for. I ended up seeing a dermatologist for my issues and was told it's dandruff, but dandruff shampoos don't seem to do anything at all for me. However the other piece of advice the dermatologist gave me was to wash my scalp at least 4 times a week, and that does seem to help a bit with the itchies, but not always. I oil my scalp before washing it, and I rub moisturizer or aloe on itchy spots on my scalp anytime that I'm not washing it soon. I don't know if the stuff I rub on helps, or if the rubbing itself helps, the way one might rub a sore spot on the body to distract the nerves.

I hope you get it figured out, itchy scalp is no fun.

lapushka
December 26th, 2017, 05:29 AM
I have heard that allergies and sensitivities can cause itchy scalp. I'd agree with going to an allergist.

My scalp is also itchy. I never would have thought of it on my own, but someone once mentioned sugar as being a trigger for itchiness. This may not be true for everyone, but I ended up noticing that my scalp is itchier when I've had a large amount of sugar. I also have environmental allergies that aren't totally compensated for. I ended up seeing a dermatologist for my issues and was told it's dandruff, but dandruff shampoos don't seem to do anything at all for me. However the other piece of advice the dermatologist gave me was to wash my scalp at least 4 times a week, and that does seem to help a bit with the itchies, but not always. I oil my scalp before washing it, and I rub moisturizer or aloe on itchy spots on my scalp anytime that I'm not washing it soon. I don't know if the stuff I rub on helps, or if the rubbing itself helps, the way one might rub a sore spot on the body to distract the nerves.

I hope you get it figured out, itchy scalp is no fun.

I would try to stop oiling your scalp before washing it! See if that makes a difference, but don't just do it once, try it over a longer period of time. Usually SD & oils do not agree.

enting
December 26th, 2017, 06:12 AM
I would try to stop oiling your scalp before washing it! See if that makes a difference, but don't just do it once, try it over a longer period of time. Usually SD & oils do not agree.

:D I tried oiling my scalp as a an experiment last year because I didn't know what else to do. It actually helps a bit! The itchies have been here far longer than that, like, since I was, oh, 9 years old? Dermatologists keep sending me to the typical dandruff shampoos that don't do anything for me. (Selsun Blue when I was little, Sebosel now. They may actually be the same thing.) I'm going back in a few weeks to tell my dermatologist how things worked/didn't work out. I also have water itch, and I also have allergies. I am pretty sure it's not SD, as any flakes I have are tiny, white, not waxy, and don't get worse with oiling. But I'll see what the doctor has to say.

lapushka
December 26th, 2017, 06:18 AM
:D I tried oiling my scalp as a an experiment last year because I didn't know what else to do. It actually helps a bit! The itchies have been here far longer than that, like, since I was, oh, 9 years old? Dermatologists keep sending me to the typical dandruff shampoos that don't do anything for me. (Selsun Blue when I was little, Sebosel now. They may actually be the same thing.) I'm going back in a few weeks to tell my dermatologist how things worked/didn't work out. I also have water itch, and I also have allergies. I am pretty sure it's not SD, as any flakes I have are tiny, white, not waxy, and don't get worse with oiling. But I'll see what the doctor has to say.

Have you ever tried Nizoral? Nizoral is stronger, I think, than Selsun Blue. The 2% in any case. Maybe inquire with your doctor. Good luck. And I'm not pulling it out of my bum, oiling is quite counterproductive for SD. And if it's flakes & itching, it does point in that direction rather than "just" being dandruff, but I'm not a doctor, pick his or her brain and ask what your diagnosis is in fact. I'm curious as to what they'll do next. Keep us posted! :flower:

enting
December 26th, 2017, 07:30 AM
Yup, I've tried Nizoral also :) This is my second go-around, this time with a different dermatologist. The general feeling I get is "prescribe her something and send her off". Maybe it'll be different next time, who knows.

lapushka
December 26th, 2017, 07:49 AM
Yup, I've tried Nizoral also :) This is my second go-around, this time with a different dermatologist. The general feeling I get is "prescribe her something and send her off". Maybe it'll be different next time, who knows.

Ah that's a shame it didn't work out. Doctors have to be on that set "routine". The key is that if it doesn't work that you just don't let it go, it all depends on you going back to the doctor how well this is going to work. They rely on your feedback and on you coming back so they can see where they need to take it next. Often these things can take a while to resolve as doctors also need to rely on products and their effectiveness and they sadly can't predict that. Good luck on your journey, because it is a journey! :flower:

enting
December 26th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Ah that's a shame it didn't work out. Doctors have to be on that set "routine". The key is that if it doesn't work that you just don't let it go, it all depends on you going back to the doctor how well this is going to work. They rely on your feedback and on you coming back so they can see where they need to take it next. Often these things can take a while to resolve as doctors also need to rely on products and their effectiveness and they sadly can't predict that. Good luck on your journey, because it is a journey! :flower:

I hope the OP gets some solutions, too!