PDA

View Full Version : Dyed hair strand to keep track of growth?!

CreatureBailey
December 17th, 2017, 05:02 AM
I've got an idea of buying some hair dye and using just a tiny bit of it just to dye one of (the shorter strands from my previous bangs) on the side. And then as my natural color growing from the roots gains more and more length I'll know how long and fast my hair grows.

Is it a good idea?

I'd dye it blue or something.

Kat
December 17th, 2017, 06:21 AM
If you don't mind having a colorful strand, or can keep it hidden, it might be fun. Lol, if you wanted to be really experimental, you could always compare your growth rate as time goes on by doing it in stripes; put a small amount just on the hair at your scalp on the first day of every month and the gap between each is approximately how much your hair grew that month. :) (That actually sounds kind of fun...)

lapushka
December 17th, 2017, 07:47 AM
If it's blue, consider that it might not look great (or stay blue) while it grows out. Blue often turns green or tealish. Who knows you might grow tired of it. I'd dye a strand in the back (nape area or the like) in a lighter color (but still natural), if you do want to track your growth that way.

But, your hair is classic... what's the point? You got this far without that "crutch" to lean on. Why not leave it be? :flower:

akurah
December 17th, 2017, 09:41 AM
I doubt it would work for any punky color like blue, the color will not stay more than a few weeks without being refreshed.

You would need something permanent, like either permanent regular black dye (which could fade to a nasty color) or henna (insanely difficult to be precise, and the demarcation line wouldn't be visible unless your hair was insanely light, and even then, it might not be a visible line suitable for tracking).

Your hair is growing, leave it alone.

CreatureBailey
December 17th, 2017, 10:11 AM
If you don't mind having a colorful strand, or can keep it hidden, it might be fun. Lol, if you wanted to be really experimental, you could always compare your growth rate as time goes on by doing it in stripes; put a small amount just on the hair at your scalp on the first day of every month and the gap between each is approximately how much your hair grew that month. :) (That actually sounds kind of fun...)

It does sound fun hahaha and it's easier to look at the growth that way than by looking at the ends. That could be tricky cause we could be standing different ways each time and etc

CreatureBailey
December 17th, 2017, 10:13 AM
If it's blue, consider that it might not look great (or stay blue) while it grows out. Blue often turns green or tealish. Who knows you might grow tired of it. I'd dye a strand in the back (nape area or the like) in a lighter color (but still natural), if you do want to track your growth that way.

But, your hair is classic... what's the point? You got this far without that "crutch" to lean on. Why not leave it be? :flower:

I don't mind having it to green or tealish hahaha. Mermaid hair. :P

And yeah, but before that I could easily assume that my hair would keep growing but the furthest you get, the more you start thinking ''man, what if terminal length is a few cm away...'' you know? That's why I want to be relieved. Although the strand I'd dye it shorter than the rest.

CreatureBailey
December 17th, 2017, 10:14 AM
I doubt it would work for any punky color like blue, the color will not stay more than a few weeks without being refreshed.

You would need something permanent, like either permanent regular black dye (which could fade to a nasty color) or henna (insanely difficult to be precise, and the demarcation line wouldn't be visible unless your hair was insanely light, and even then, it might not be a visible line suitable for tracking).

Your hair is growing, leave it alone.

I've dyed it black before. Hahaha. With dollarstore dye.

I know it is but I want to see it more specifically so I feel more positive. Plus if I do the core exercises you suggested me to do I might see it grows faster cause like I said I've noticed it grows faster when I work out. :P

peachyleshy
December 17th, 2017, 12:57 PM
I think it sounds like a fun idea! Just a little extra visual reinforcement, that, yes, your hair is growing and making progress! Especially if you feel like you're in a rut and your hair isn't getting longer. Also it would be a way to try out a different hair color... that would be fun to me because I've never dyed my hair an unnatural color before...

akurah
December 17th, 2017, 01:02 PM
I think it sounds like a fun idea! Just a little extra visual reinforcement, that, yes, your hair is growing and making progress! Especially if you feel like you're in a rut and your hair isn't getting longer. Also it would be a way to try out a different hair color... that would be fun to me because I've never dyed my hair an unnatural color before...

The unnatural colors aren’t permanent. Unless you stopped washing your hair altogether it would not work with the unnatural color.

CreatureBailey
December 17th, 2017, 01:06 PM
The unnatural colors aren’t permanent. Unless you stopped washing your hair altogether it would not work with the unnatural color.

I know but it wouldnt completely fade away too quick, you could still see the difference in color and progress

CreatureBailey
December 17th, 2017, 01:07 PM

Extra visual reinforcement, that's the word! :D

Stray_mind
December 17th, 2017, 01:13 PM
That's a fun idea. Jut make sure you dye it the color you like or can easily hide. My own entire head is dyed, so i can track my growth rate either way. But i think a dyed strand might be fun. :)

CreatureBailey
December 17th, 2017, 01:48 PM
That's a fun idea. Jut make sure you dye it the color you like or can easily hide. My own entire head is dyed, so i can track my growth rate either way. But i think a dyed strand might be fun. :)

I'm gonna dye the one at the front hahaha. Not easily hidden :) And you're hair is dyed what color? And what's your natural color?

Stray_mind
December 17th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I'm gonna dye the one at the front hahaha. Not easily hidden :) And you're hair is dyed what color? And what's your natural color?

My hair is naturally brown with some cool, a bit ashy undertones.
My hair is dyed dark brown, but it looks black in the shade. I'm growing out my natural color now.

Guitargod
December 17th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I had the same idea last day when looking at my gfs hair that she colors often. You could measure growth pretty precisely like that. I would probably choose a few strands on the side of the head that would normally be covered.

Beeboo123
December 17th, 2017, 03:04 PM
I know but it wouldnt completely fade away too quick, you could still see the difference in color and progress

When I dyed my hair unnatural colors (using Manuc Panic), the color would wash out completely within 2-3 weeks. I was using a sulfate-free shampoo for colored hair, but it faded quickly anyway. Temporary dyes are supposed to last about a month, but I wash my hair once or twice a day, so I had to refresh the color more frequently. However, even if the dye were to last 2 months, it wouldn’t let you track your progress very well... Blue tones fade the most quickly.

I don’t suppose you would consider a permanent dye? I don’t think you would want to risk damaging your (classic length!!! My goal!!!) hair to track its growth rate, not when you can use a measuring tape

CreatureBailey
December 17th, 2017, 03:58 PM
When I dyed my hair unnatural colors (using Manuc Panic), the color would wash out completely within 2-3 weeks. I was using a sulfate-free shampoo for colored hair, but it faded quickly anyway. Temporary dyes are supposed to last about a month, but I wash my hair once or twice a day, so I had to refresh the color more frequently. However, even if the dye were to last 2 months, it wouldn’t let you track your progress very well... Blue tones fade the most quickly.

I don’t suppose you would consider a permanent dye? I don’t think you would want to risk damaging your (classic length!!! My goal!!!) hair to track its growth rate, not when you can use a measuring tape

I wash my hair once a week and in the middle of the week I just use water. I dunno if it would make it stay longer? :)

akurah
December 17th, 2017, 04:51 PM
I wash my hair once a week and in the middle of the week I just use water. I dunno if it would make it stay longer? :)

Not long enough for it to be of any use tracking growth imo. Sweat and water both will "wash out" the dye as time passes.

CreatureBailey
December 18th, 2017, 10:09 PM
I did it guys.

Rowdy
December 18th, 2017, 10:12 PM
I did it guys.

I like this idea, what color did you end up picking?

CreatureBailey
December 18th, 2017, 10:39 PM
I like this idea, what color did you end up picking?

I picked turquoise

CreatureBailey
December 18th, 2017, 10:40 PM
It goes away in 4 to 10 washes but like I only wash once a week... :shrug:

CreatureBailey
December 18th, 2017, 10:43 PM
My hair that is*

lithostoic
December 19th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I've had my hair dyed pink (the underlayer) for almost 3 months and it's still pretty bright. I say it's a great idea!

CreatureBailey
December 19th, 2017, 09:20 AM
https://imgur.com/zfeR9Fc

Here's how it looks.

Wavybrunetteuk
December 19th, 2017, 09:32 AM
You creating this thread was such scarily good timing because I had (now regrettably) bleached peekaboo highlights into my hair, disliked the outcome and then dyed it dark brown (it's still a different colour from the rest of my hair but luckily you can't see it in my photos).

So now I'm using it as a growth reference in default. I plan to keep track of and post the growing out phase. :)

I'd say go ahead and experiment. It'll grow out after all!

CreatureBailey
December 19th, 2017, 10:19 AM
You creating this thread was such scarily good timing because I had (now regrettably) bleached peekaboo highlights into my hair, disliked the outcome and then dyed it dark brown (it's still a different colour from the rest of my hair but luckily you can't see it in my photos).

So now I'm using it as a growth reference in default. I plan to keep track of and post the growing out phase. :)

I'd say go ahead and experiment. It'll grow out after all!

That's awesome!! :)

First growth test with blue in my hair: Subliminals does not make your hair grow phenomenally in one night. :shrug:

CreatureBailey
December 19th, 2017, 10:20 AM
I'm scared to find out stuff. What if the inversion method doesn't work that well, what if my growth is slow, what if other stuff I try I discover it doesn't do much and then I get more upset to find this out.

You know when they say ignorance is bliss... shudder:

Anje
December 19th, 2017, 12:37 PM
Knowledge helps you plan ahead. If your growth is slow now (I mean, it's winter. Lots of us slow down then.), then you'll know it's slow and won't be disappointed months from now when it didn't grow as much as you'd hoped. If it isn't, well, that's useful to know too. Getting bad news sooner helps you mitigate it, and good news is good.

Besides, ignorance is only bliss if it's not something you thought about anyway. If it's something that you're focused on (in this case, gaining length), ignorance is anxiety.

CreatureBailey
December 19th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Knowledge helps you plan ahead. If your growth is slow now (I mean, it's winter. Lots of us slow down then.), then you'll know it's slow and won't be disappointed months from now when it didn't grow as much as you'd hoped. If it isn't, well, that's useful to know too. Getting bad news sooner helps you mitigate it, and good news is good.

Besides, ignorance is only bliss if it's not something you thought about anyway. If it's something that you're focused on (in this case, gaining length), ignorance is anxiety.

You're right. Tho I feel I didn't gain all that much growth in summer cause I went to England and it was grey all the time. I did gain more in the fall when I was back tho.

erebus
December 19th, 2017, 05:09 PM
I wonder how well a single strand would work. With other hair, like facial hair, I've noticed that the growth between different strands can be highly irregular, so a single strand might not give you a good idea of how your hair is growing overall.

CreatureBailey
December 19th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Moar pics<3

https://imgur.com/a/IEXW8

https://imgur.com/jOnaGj4

Beeboo123
December 20th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Moar pics<3

https://imgur.com/a/IEXW8

https://imgur.com/jOnaGj4

Your hair is THICK, i can’t even begin to understand why your relatices have been bothering you about having “no hair. Which dye did you use?

CreatureBailey
December 20th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Your hair is THICK, i can’t even begin to understand why your relatices have been bothering you about having “no hair. Which dye did you use?

My hair just appears ''fluffy'' here... it's not thick it's just an appearance haha. But thanks. :)

Umm L'oreal Paris Colorista semi-permanent color #teal10 for dark to light brown hair

CreatureBailey
December 23rd, 2017, 03:38 AM
Welp. After the first wash it already seems to be fading boyz.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2017, 11:10 AM
Welp. After the first wash it already seems to be fading boyz.

Bummer! :(

pastina
December 23rd, 2017, 01:06 PM
It would work better if you bleached-- the color would stick better, it'd be brighter, and you'd get that demarcation line you're looking for. That said, bleaching causes some degree damage, even if you're careful. It's your call, and only you can decide what you're willing to risk. My opinion? I think it's a fun idea and, as long as you're keeping peroxide volume low, only bleaching once, etc, the condition of your hair will likely be fine. ...but that's coming from a diy dyer, and a card carrying rainbow addict!

CreatureBailey
December 23rd, 2017, 03:49 PM
It would work better if you bleached-- the color would stick better, it'd be brighter, and you'd get that demarcation line you're looking for. That said, bleaching causes some degree damage, even if you're careful. It's your call, and only you can decide what you're willing to risk. My opinion? I think it's a fun idea and, as long as you're keeping peroxide volume low, only bleaching once, etc, the condition of your hair will likely be fine. ...but that's coming from a diy dyer, and a card carrying rainbow addict!

Nah I don't wanna bleach! :O I think I'll just drop that idea of dying it. :P

akurah
December 24th, 2017, 07:46 AM
If you try again, use Elumen. I don’t know about their other colors but their purple stays very well. It’s harder to get ahold of than most color. Unfortunately because my hair is rather dark already, I can’t tell you if the fade it does have would work with something like this.

Eta: because it stays very well, treat the decision as if you were contemplating a permanent dye. Assume it won’t budge.